Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Hello
    I'm a civilian (don't have any medical knowledge whatsoever), and I have a question. It's probably really stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

Ireland is trying very hard to contain the spread of swineflu, but it seems from everything that I read, that we are destined to have a fairly large outbreak later in the year when the seasons change.

Why do we not just let the flu spread right now in the summer months, when people are generally healthier and better able to fight it off. Why are we waiting till winter when people's immune systems are generally lower, the sick get sicker etc. Shouldn't we just let it rip now?

Just askin' is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

above post moved to this general swine flu chat thread from the scientific discusssion one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

tallaght01 wrote: »
    above post moved to this general swine flu chat thread from the scientific discusssion one.

I posted it in the scientific thread as I thought they would be better qualified to answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

deise-lady wrote: »
    Ireland is trying very hard to contain the spread of swineflu, but it seems from everything that I read, that we are destined to have a fairly large outbreak later in the year when the seasons change.

Why do we not just let the flu spread right now in the summer months, when people are generally healthier and better able to fight it off. Why are we waiting till winter when people's immune systems are generally lower, the sick get sicker etc. Shouldn't we just let it rip now?

We have stopped trying to contain this outbreak (as of last week, check this article in last Friday's Irish Times). Others here will be able to explain better the reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

deise-lady wrote: »
    Hello
    I'm a civilian (don't have any medical knowledge whatsoever), and I have a question. It's probably really stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

Just askin' is all...

Well, quite simply what you're asking for is what's been dubbed a 'Flu Party' - To allow people to become infected with a Virus, that they may or may not recover from, in the hope that those who do come through obtain an immunity from the Virus for Winter.

The are reports that in the 1918 pandemic those who were exposed to the first 'wave' had a greater likelyhood of surviving the second. However, what if that second wave had never come?We can't condemn others to death in anticipation that the worst may happen so that there may be a chance of saving the majority, can we? Not to mention those people that barely survive but had to be ventilated in ICU, straining our Health Services from performing other functions, and openly letting these people suffer.

On another (miscellaneous) note, Winter gives us plenty of time to lose weight, as there is evidence to suggest that folk who are obese tend to have double the chance of getting serious swine flu effects. :)

Hope this help,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well, quite simply what you're asking for is what's been dubbed a 'Flu Party' - To allow people to become infected with a Virus, that they may or may not recover from, in the hope that those who do come through obtain an immunity from the Virus for Winter.

The are reports that in the 1918 pandemic those who were exposed to the first 'wave' had a greater likelyhood of surviving the second. However, what if that second wave had never come?We can't condemn others to death in anticipation that the worst may happen so that there may be a chance of saving the majority, can we? Not to mention those people that barely survive but had to be ventilated in ICU, straining our Health Services from performing other functions, and openly letting these people suffer.

On another (miscellaneous) note, Winter gives us plenty of time to lose weight, as there is evidence to suggest that folk who are obese tend to have double the chance of getting serious swine flu effects. :)

Hope this help,

I don't agree with this flu party notion at all. Rather than expose yourself to the flu and run the risk (albeit small) of killing yourself, why not be pro active and do things that will increase your health and vitality. Lose weight, eat right, get plenty of sunshine and excercise. Get your immune system running at its peak and don't be sucked in by the hype. Remember, so far the mortality rate is extremely low and all this scaremongering by the mainstream media is totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If there's a limited amount of the vaccine available when it's released (or will there be some for everyone that wants it?), do GPs have a list of criteria as to who they may give it to? Is there a list somewhere along the lines of

Babies
    Old People
    People with x disease
    People with y disease
    People with z history
    Everyone else

?

If someone in the "everyone else" category went to their GP on the first day the GP has the vaccine, would/should they be asked to come back later when the higher priorities have already been dealt with?

vaccines only really work properly with an illness like swine flu when all the people who might transmit it to the vulnerable get vaccinated as well. So, if they have any sense they'll be giving it to everyone who wants is. But we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Slightly off topic so apologies in advance...
    Have honeymoon booked for America in early October. Starting to get a bit concerned that if Swine Flu spreads as per doomsday projections in the media recently there may be severe restrictions on travel coming into the winter.

Am I being a completely paranoid eejit or does anyone think that things might get that bad?

cheer cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CelticHamster

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic so apologies in advance...
    Have honeymoon booked for America in early October. Starting to get a bit concerned that if Swine Flu spreads as per doomsday projections in the media recently there may be severe restrictions on travel coming into the winter.

Am I being a completely paranoid eejit or does anyone think that things might get that bad?

cheer cm
    I'd chill and see what happens, October is far off in terms of swine flu developments. Who knows where we'll be by then, it would be impossible to pick a 'safe destination' for a honeymoon at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Couple of quick ones on this vaccine.

I read an article in the guardian which suggested only half the UK population will have received it by the end of this year. Will the same delays apply in Ireland or will we all receive it quicker because we have a much smaller population?

Would the vaccine still protect, at least to some extent, against a possible mutated form of the virus?

Also how effective are these flu vaccines, or is there any way of knowing? Do they guarantee you won’t contract the virus, or lessen its effects if you do?

No vaccine is 100% effective.

The numbers given will depend on how many are bought, whether they're given free, and how many people agree to have it. This will, conversely, affect how effective the vaccine is.

As for when it will be available, well that will depend on when the safety checks are done. Safety committees are meeting at very short notice to examine the data, and ethics committees are having special meetings to approve the trials. So, it's all ploughing ahead.

I would have said we were looking at november for when it will be ready. Lots of the kids dosing trials (working out what dose of the vaccine gives best results) will be going on until october anyway. But some people reckon it'll be ready earlier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My little sis has just been admitted to hospital with suspected Swine Flu. Shes in Auckland, I'm really worried about her- I have no idea what her condition is, and no way of contacting her.

Very worried.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Phone the hospital and ask to be put through to the ward and ask to speak to her. Hospitals are 24 hours so even though its the middle of the night here - you will be able to get through to the nursing staff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We were not given the hospital for her :( She may be out now, but we are not sure - has been the longest few hours of our lives...it really hit home. She is my husbands youngest sister and we are very protective of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Ive read that the virus makes its way further down the digestive tract into the intestines unlike seasonal flu's.

If this is the case would/could this be an addtional transmission "pathway" for transmission.
    Does/would it survive the stomach and get into the intestine that way.

i.e. could the virus not only be transferred through coughing and sneezing i.e. droplets but also through fecal matter like bacteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Honolulu

I apparently have suspected Swine Flu and have been off work since yesterday. I didn't feel the best all weekend and felt horrific when I woke up yday so went to the GP who basically told me I had suspected Swine Flu (I have also just returned from Spain a week ago so that added to it, as well as symptoms such as, sore throat, headache, temperature, streaming nose, muscle aches and pains).

When I asked was he going to swab me he said no, that the criteria had changed and while it was highly likely that I have it, they are only swabbing people with underlying health issues. It has been decided that reasonably healthy people like myself (I'm 24) will just be treated as though they have normal flu.

The one thing I did find strange though was that I was given a prescription for Augmentin. Now I'm no doctor but that is an antibiotic which is used to treat bacterial infections, NOT viral infections. At the time I felt so awful I didn't think about it and it was only when I told my mother that she flipped. She headed straight back around to the surgery and demanded a prescription for Tamiflu or anything that treats flu. The doctor had left and the secretary had checked my notes. All the doctor (locum) had written down was "sore throat, runny nose". It was lucky enough that I had the doctors note for my job which said "suspected swine flu" which is why I then got the correct prescription.

I started the Tamiflu straight away and I do feel a bit better however feel like I am developing a cough which was always going to happen. It's just annoyed me that I won't know for sure whether or not I have it and have to take a week off work - granted I feel like sh*t and couldn't go in anyway.

The only rational explanation I got was from a nurse friend today who said it is most likely swine flu, reason being most people don't just develop the flu unless there is an outbreak of it. In the middle of the summer there are usually no outbreaks and at the moment the only outbreak of flu is Swine Flu, so that pretty much explains it.

It's just annoying that we have to deal with incompetent doctors who don't want to cause mass hysteria so aren't treating patients properly.

smccarrick wrote: »
    My little sis has just been admitted to hospital with suspected Swine Flu. Shes in Auckland, I'm really worried about her- I have no idea what her condition is, and no way of contacting her.

Very worried.

Shane

Was released after a day in observation on a drip to rehydrate her and antiviral medication- but still very ill. Next problem- she's lost her passport....... Arrrgghhhhh......... Thank god another sis is with her to take care of her- I wish they had a phone though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Honolulu

I demanded it because up until this week, all news reports were saying that Tamiflu was what EVERYONE with symptoms was being given, I didn't realise that Swine flu had effectively been downgraded AGAIN by the HSE. I have a friend that was put on Tamiflu 2 weeks ago because his mother had contracted Swine flu, yet he showed no symptoms whatsoever. Excuse me for freaking out a bit, come back to me when you get it and let me know how you feel, because you probably will get it.

I hate cynics.

Ok folks - keep it civil or be banned. This forum like all the others does not tolerate flaming or personal insults.

The guidelines keep changing with swine flu as to who to treat, who to swab, who to isolate, who to contract trace as the pandemic alert system in each country is at a different level from other countries who have more or less cases.

This is a huge headache for doctors as well as frustrating for patients as 2 days later, their relative is being treated differently from themselves and not all doctors are being given daily updates on what to do and what not to do.

we cannot comment on boards as to individual cases or discuss a doctors rationale at the time for prescribing whatever drug on this forum - but can keep chatting generally on this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Is tamiflu over the counter or prescription?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is tamiflu over the counter or prescription?

Prescription only.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is a question based on something I read on the HSE website. It said those who have been infected with the virus will not receive the vaccine.

Does this mean those who recover from the virus won't get it? If so, why? Because they will be immune to getting it again perhaps?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

This is a question based on something I read on the HSE website. It said those who have been infected with the virus will not receive the vaccine.

Does this mean those who recover from the virus won't get it? If so, why? Because they will be immune to getting it again perhaps?

Yes,If they have already gotten the Flu by the time the vaccine is out,it will be a waste of time to give them the vaccine as their body have already being exposed to the H1N1 virus

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LeotheLion wrote: »
    Yes,If they have already gotten the Flu by the time the vaccine is out,it will be a waste of time to give them the vaccine as their body have already being exposed to the H1N1 virus

I see. That makes sense.

One other quick question. For those who allergic to penicillin, will they be able to take Tamiflu should they require it?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

I see. That makes sense.

One other quick question. For those who allergic to penicillin, will they be able to take Tamiflu should they require it?

I cant see why not as they are 2 different drugs
    Tamiflu is an antiviral and penicillin is a antibiotic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Im a little confused by the advice on HSE, and elsewhere. If you have flu symptoms, are you not told to stay away from your GP's surgery to avoid passing it on to others, and seen as Tamiflu is only prescription, then just what are you meant to do?! Just say fcuk it, and head off to the GP before your too sick to leave the house?

Very worried now, 100k cases in Uk in last week, 850 seriously ill, 65 in intensive care, according to Sky news though.. but assuming thats true its quite alarming, they predicted 100k cases by August worst case scenario a few weeks ago, and it aint august yet!

phone your GP before heading down - this way he/she can book you in at the end of a clinic or keep you in a separate room until they can see you.

Remember a lot of people there could be very vulnerable to influenza and could run into trouble if they get it - so you shouldn't be sitting in the waiting room with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I think my Dad might have it.

He has been complaing with chronic tiredness for the past day or two and this morning he was vomiting and again just now.

I'm making him phone the doctor now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Also quite worried about swine flu and if I might have contracted it but feel silly asking doctor incase he thinks I'm exaggerating.

For last 3 days I've had cold,sore throat,aching back and chest pains that woke me up yesterday.
    My mam tells me I'm being dramatic so am just gonna take it easy over the weekend and stay indoors and see how I get on as have no high temperature.

I also work in dental surgery and am in close contact with people every day and workmate pregnant so would hate to think I am ignoring something that could cause probs.

Advertisement