Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double barrel sur- names

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fun4a11

Spanish surnames FTW
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs

A lot of people in my School had them (private School) and I never really think twice about them but I can see a problem down the line like just say to people get married with double barrel surnames and they both what to pass on their surnames to their children will their children's surname be quadruple or will they just take their Grandfathers surnames?

I myself have my mothers maiden name as my middle name but it also could be a a first name so it could look like I have a double barrel surname when I have my full name written out but I have never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

evogirl wrote: »
    afaik i can only get it changed with his(dad) consent and he wont agree to it.

well at the time we were planning our child i thought we'd be staying together. thats the reason i didnt have my surname put on the birth cert but things/people change.

yeah that's the crux of it i guess. it's just that if someone mentioned a db to me i'd think they'd already given up! rather than just being practical...

friend of mine gave his child the mother's name in case they broke up. they duly did

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I had a teacher like that. It's kind of weird, women that take on a double barreled name to emphasise that they are keeping their social status and are still independent in their own right. Because they usually go through the whole pathetic marriage ceremony in a church; the white dress for purity, being given away by daddy, the authority of the priest etc.

White dresses have nothing to do with purity. Blue is historically the colour of purity.
    White dresses are, traditionally, about showing how extravagantly wealthy you are, that you can afford a dress you can only wear once because of its style and colour. White not being as easily cleaned as it is nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

tiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

bnagrrl wrote: »
    White dresses have nothing to do with purity. Blue is historically the colour of purity.
    White dresses are, traditionally, about showing how extravagantly wealthy you are, that you can afford a dress you can only wear once because of its style and colour. White not being as easily cleaned as it is nowadays.

Well in the context of marriage ceremonies, churches hold up white dresses as symbols of purity. Wouldn't be the first time churches found their own meanings. Although nowadays, it seems to be less about that.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the majority of people today imagine the white dress as a sign of purity, especially in America. They're not aware of the traditional colour of purity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

where does it end?
    if two people with double barrel surnames have a kid will they child have a four barrell name?

parents, ryan-dalton + jones-shepard .....child=ryan-dalton-jones-shepard!!!!!

now if this child(when they are of legal age) has a kid with another four barreller...you can see where im going with this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only two surnames may be the exception in many Latin American countries. I met one lad from Chile and I had to take a breath while reciting his complete name!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Robin Cars-Mann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is your name Abigail Abi-Gail?

The two names are completely different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Always associated double barrel surnames with south Dublin ****. Must be due to Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

trad wrote: »
    The reason they are becoming prominent is that up to recent years you couldn't use both parents names. When our first child (now 21) was born we were infromed by the registrar that we could not use my wifes name as a surname in conjunction with mine. We got around it by using my wifes surname as a second name and it was acceptable. It still reads Mary Smith Jones (not her real name) and my kids are proud of it. They don't use is every day but it's there and recogintion of their mother.

I know someone who had to do that with their kids. They do use the double-barrelled surname though even though the first part of it is technically speaking a forename. The wife in the family kept her own surname when she got married.

I know the best name of all time. I saw it in a Sherlock Holmes Story. It's so awesome I don't think I can bring myself to type it. It's what names should be like, very classy and distinguished.

Edit: It's not a double barreled name at all. It's just a name, but it's still the best name ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NanoLion3

I have a Double barreled surname, I have to use my dads cause thats what he put on the my passport:rolleyes: and my mam kept her own surname when she got married but it didn't last long:( so to be fair to both parents I use both even though my mam says I should use my dads instead but I do it to keep them both happy and I like my double barreled surname:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't know anyone with a double barreled name.

Rural Ireland FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I gave my kids a double barreled surname cos we were not married at the time. I have a cool surname though and his is really plain so the kids have a pretty cool name now. I wouldn't call them Mary O'Sullivan Connolly for example but if a double barrel sounds cool why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ollchailin wrote: »
    This might seem like a very strange thing to say but-

I'm a teacher and pretty much 90% of those that I teach with double-barrel surnames are a pain in the arse. I don't know what it is- whether they're coming from a strained background (bad relationship between parents), or their parents are putting pressure on them not to be tied down to one title and to express themselves freely or some such thing.

All I know is that I try and be open minded at the start of the year and think "oh maybe this one will be ok, seems nice, etc".... then BAM they turn out to be a pain. And can I just point out I'm not saying they're ALL like that, and there are plenty with just one surname who I find hard to teach- it's just a lot of those with double barrel surnames happen to be tough to teach. Not totally sure why, just my experience.

yep, almost every child I've ever taught with a double barrell surname has been trouble. And their name a mouthful for roll call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Smith-Wesson, the only acceptable double barreled name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

foxy06 wrote: »
    I gave my kids a double barreled surname cos we were not married at the time. I have a cool surname though and his is really plain so the kids have a pretty cool name now. I wouldn't call them Mary O'Sullivan Connolly for example but if a double barrel sounds cool why not?
    Nothings cool spending the first 5 minutes of an exam writing your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NanoLion3

My surnames both sound cool, my mams is well known and my dads is a very rare but cool surname

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I know I'd hate to marry into a double-barrel, I'd prefer to keep my name in that case, I like the brevity of it (Quinn) one syllable, job done ;). Would anyone else hate to marry one? I personally wouldn't give my children a double barrel, I think it sounds pretentious but that's only my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

it may just be me ,but in the uk a lot of people who think they are better than everyone else ,often suddenly turn up with a double name,my first thought is stuck up prick,but when a mrs jones turns up with a child called smith jones my mind thinks,must be a love child[better than the old word]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What about the new trend of making two surnames into one?

For example Kennedy and Whelan would become either Wellady or Kelan.

Was telling my hubby about it and he got excited because we'd be Wayne and started thinking of a child called Bruce. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I know the best name of all time. I saw it in a Sherlock Holmes Story. It's so awesome I don't think I can bring myself to type it. It's what names should be like, very classy and distinguished.

Edit: It's not a double barreled name at all. It's just a name, but it's still the best name ever.

Go on..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

There is some total tool on AA roadwatch with a real awkward double barrelled name.

It escapes me at the min but every time i hear them say it, it sounds really cumbersome.

Go on..........

Doctor Thorneycroft Huxtable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Maddison wrote: »
    I dont know but I think It might also have something to do with parents not being married when the children are born, I was going to give my son both our surnames but I hated my own so I just let him have his dads.

I think your right there, i and the other half are not married and had a son, so we gave him both our surnames, that will change though as soon as we are married. Its quite common in some countries to have double barrel surnames, for example in Scandanavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

pre-pretentious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

pre-pretentious

Didn't realise you could stutter on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wingknot

Hagar wrote: »
    Smith-Wesson, the only acceptable double barreled name.

Winchester up an over, hit with the first second is just for show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Didn't realise you could stutter on the internet.

ya learn somethin new every d-day

Advertisement