Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double barrel sur- names

Options
  • 04-07-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

where my kids go to school ,i've noticed the popularity of this double barrel sur-names emerging.is this a new craze for some people ,is it a step up the society ladder in their eyes. is it bul?????? .we're all in same sort of jobs [for now],same type of houses,nothing exceptional about any of us ,so where did this bull???? comefrom...................any opinions:confused:;):o:p:pac::D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

They're not too bad, but repititive double-barrelled usernames are the worst. Why do you need to say your own name twice? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Sometimes it might because baby daddy is different and they want the children to have the same name?
    Like if one child was John Smith, and the mam is with the second child's father now it could be Jack Smith-Bloggs.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

,so where did this bull???? comefrom...................any opinions

womens lib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I dont know but I think It might also have something to do with parents not being married when the children are born, I was going to give my son both our surnames but I hated my own so I just let him have his dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Maddison wrote: »
    I dont know but I think It might also have something to do with parents not being married when the children are born, I was going to give my son both our surnames but I hated my own so I just let him have his dads.

Thats the main reason for it i think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Maddison wrote: »

Yep, I'd say that's it for the most part but it wouldn't surprise me if some people do it for no apparent reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Apparently the number of women holding on to their surnames is tailing off, there was an article in the Irish Independent about this on Tuesday last. So I'm guessing in years to come we'll see the trend fall. And then it'll come back with a boom in 15 or 20 years. It's just whatever's seen as the thing to do at the time, these kids in school with your kids were born 6 or 7 years ago when women were clinging tightly to their family names. In the last 4 or 5 years it's been a lesser occurrence, even less so today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I had a teacher like that. It's kind of weird, women that take on a double barreled name to emphasise that they are keeping their social status and are still independent in their own right. Because they usually go through the whole pathetic marriage ceremony in a church; the white dress for purity, being given away by daddy, the authority of the priest etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

This might seem like a very strange thing to say but-

I'm a teacher and pretty much 90% of those that I teach with double-barrel surnames are a pain in the arse. I don't know what it is- whether they're coming from a strained background (bad relationship between parents), or their parents are putting pressure on them not to be tied down to one title and to express themselves freely or some such thing.

All I know is that I try and be open minded at the start of the year and think "oh maybe this one will be ok, seems nice, etc".... then BAM they turn out to be a pain. And can I just point out I'm not saying they're ALL like that, and there are plenty with just one surname who I find hard to teach- it's just a lot of those with double barrel surnames happen to be tough to teach. Not totally sure why, just my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I dont believe in a women taking a mans surname in marriage - utter bollox! but at least give the kid one or the other....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Oh and if I ever do get married (and this may never be an issue for me anyway!) I'd take my husband's surname. I wouldn't feel like I was being submissive to men, I just think it's nice that you become a family with one name when you get married- as in even if you never have kids, you and him are a family.

Then again, I'm sure there are those who'd ask why does a family only have to have one name, what's a family these days etc. It's a funny one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Bloody feminists feminising this thread up.

Your either born with a man's surname, which you cannot choose (your fathers), or you can choose to take a man's family name (your husbands).

Its a load of balls. Devote your time to caring about something more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Jeebus wrote: »
    Bloody feminists feminising this thread up.

Your either born with a man's surname, which you cannot choose (your fathers), or you can choose to take a man's family name (your husbands).

Its a load of balls. Devote your time to caring about something more important.
    like doing the dishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I dont believe in a women taking a mans surname in marriage - utter bollox! but at least give the kid one or the other....

What's Fritzl got to do with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My surname is DB'd. Wheres the problem exactly? Some people get annoyed by the stupidest things tbpfh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The reason they are becoming prominent is that up to recent years you couldn't use both parents names. When our first child (now 21) was born we were infromed by the registrar that we could not use my wifes name as a surname in conjunction with mine. We got around it by using my wifes surname as a second name and it was acceptable. It still reads Mary Smith Jones (not her real name) and my kids are proud of it. They don't use is every day but it's there and recogintion of their mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know a girl who is an only child and she is pregnant. She wants to give ehr child a double barrell name because it is the only chance her mother and father have of keeping the family name going, because she has no siblings. For me that is the only acceptable reason to inflist the stigma of a double barrell name on a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Abigayle wrote: »
    My surname is DB'd. Wheres the problem exactly? Some people get annoyed by the stupidest things tbpfh.

Is your name Abigayle Abi-Gayle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

When/if I get married I'll take a double barrelled name cos there's no-one else in our family with the name, ie, none of my grandfathers grandkids will have it.

I'd just like to keep it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Ireland used to be full of double-barrel first names now it's full of double- surnames.........times are changing. tim dan murphy-fitzpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

god i can't stand double barrels. i understand why kids have them, but it just sounds so stupid

as a matter of interest, what way would this work out in irish schools? you are either ó or ni (my computer wont put a fada on the i)
    which is it with double barrels?
    \
    never thought of that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

marbar wrote: »
    god i can't stand double barrels. i understand why kids have them, but it just sounds so stupid

as a matter of interest, what way would this work out in irish schools? you are either ó or ni (my computer wont put a fada on the i)
    which is it with double barrels?
    \
    never thought of that
    isn't that got do with the sex of the child rather than the surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

There's a solicitor out there with a TREBLE barrelled name. I saw it on the notepaper.

Quazzie wrote: »
    isn't that got do with the sex of the child rather than the surname.

yeah true. it'll make no difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Ross Turnbull Bottomley Worthington and sons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Double-barrelled names are ghey.

Edit: Perfect timing, BMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

im sorry now i didnt give my son a double barreled surname. he uses his dads surname and we split up couple of years ago. :mad:

evogirl wrote: »
    im sorry now i didnt give my son a double barreled surname. he uses his dads surname and we split up couple of years ago. :mad:

can't you get it changed if he lives with you?

if i have a child with someone (it will definitely be with someone that i have the intention of staying with) and they don't want to use my name, i would take that as an indication that they don't think it's going to last and are hedging their bets. that would be a hell of a put off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They're not too bad, but repititive double-barrelled usernames are the worst. Why do you need to say your own name twice? :confused:
    Ha. Tom Tom-Tom. :pac:

On a more sober note bureaucrats hate long names. They often don't fit on forms where you have to fill out your name in block letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

marbar wrote: »
    can't you get it changed if he lives with you?

if i have a child with someone (it will definitely be with someone that i have the intention of staying with) and they don't want to use my name, i would take that as an indication that they don't think it's going to last and are hedging their bets. that would be a hell of a put off

afaik i can only get it changed with his(dad) consent and he wont agree to it.

well at the time we were planning our child i thought we'd be staying together. thats the reason i didnt have my surname put on the birth cert but things/people change.

Advertisement