Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and crazy parents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Shocking how many people don't bother to properly train their dogs. I was bitten by untrained dogs as a kid and now have a hatred for dogs. That fcuking german sheppard that chased me down :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

No your missing my point theres nothing irrational about a parent protecting their kids. Whats irrational is the way the father spoke to me making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually was. There was no reasoning with this man, he was pissed off and he was out to get me out of sheer anger of what my dog did to his child. If my dog bit his daughter i can completely understand i would'nt even be surprised if he knocked my teeth out. He was an irrational father in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have being bitten about 4 ,5 times by dogs ,as a kid and up to my 20s .These would have being untrained dogs with irresponsible owners .Twice I was bitten while cycling on a bike and on both occasions the dogs ran out from behind a gate .But being brought up in a family were dogs was the norm in our house it didn't put me off them and I have one now to ,a well trained one . But if you dont have the time and patience to train your dog ,dont have one .A childs life is more important then any wild dog .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

karlog wrote: »
    No your missing my point theres nothing irrational about a parent protecting their kids. Whats irrational is the way the father spoke to me making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually was. There was no reasoning with this man, he was pissed off and he was out to get me out of sheer anger of what my dog did to his child. If my dog bit his daughter i can completely understand i would'nt even be surprised if he knocked my teeth out. He was an irrational father in my opinion.

Okay I think this thread is dragging on a bit TBH. Karlog, as parents we do our best to protect our kids, I dont think the father was being irrational I think he got just as much a fright as his child did. I know when my son has bad falls I get a fright its just instinctive & Id say that is what happened this man.
    He probably shouldnt have swore in front of the kids but I know even if I am out driving if someone makes a dangerous manouver & I have to either jam on or swerve you better believe im turning the air blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I just think you should learn from this and don't take you dog off the lead. I love dogs, have always had one, and when I say my dog wouldn't hurt anyone, I mean it- she's almost 14 and a King Charles, and when I take her for walks she's either scared of other dogs or ignores them. She also pretty much ignores people, apart from sniffing them if they're in our house. I think in 14 years I've heard her growl in anger 4 or 5 times.

But I would still NEVER take her off the lead going for walks. You just don't know what way a dog could react to something, even if it was a one off. Not worth taking the risk. I know that the dad seemed a bit OTT but maybe he's not too fond of dogs himself- and while I can't understand that myself, I respect that and he's as entitled to walk around as your dog- only the dad's not going to jump up on anyone (hopefully!!)

• Advertisement

Yeh i think ill leave it at this

I believe it was a minor accident and that if you were in my place you would believe me also

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Maddison wrote: »
    Trolling IMO.
    I have a child & a dog....children will get bumps and scrapes....no one is saying anything about a child scratching their knees here, read the thread before you start trying to waffle on.

Nah, not trolling. More amazed at the overreaction. And I don't expect anything other than overreaction, for calling most of the posts in this thread an overrection.

Remember the days when you used to go on Sunday drives with your folks? Standing in back seat leaning forward between your mum & dad seats in the front? These days if you don't have the kids strapped in to the point they can't move... then you're a social pariah and should have your kids taken away. And I'm not talking about the fact that its a legal requirement, or that its dangerous to have a kid primed to fly through forward if the car stops suddenly, so don't even bother with that. I'm talking about the righteous attitude people have to such actions, the topic of this thread, etc etc etc. which has escalated and continues to do so.

Memorable one for me.....
    Just parking my car in a residential street when I notice a sign on the tree I was about to park beside saying 'Tree cutting here today. Parked cars will be towed'
    Right so, I'll park in a different space.
    Do so and was walking away when I notice a woman getting out of a car with her kid - parked in the 'tow away' spot.
    "Excuse me, you might get towed if you park there. Sign on the tree just beside you" - I say
    "I HAVE A BABY" - she shouts
    Two hours later, car gone. Mum + newborn walking.
    But hey, she has a baby.

johndoc wrote: »
    Nah, not trolling. More amazed at the overreaction. And I don't expect anything other than overreaction, for calling most of the posts in this thread an overrection.

Thread had nothing to do with over-reacting parents though....It was about responsible dog ownership. I agree that a lot of parents now a days wrap their children up in cotton wool but I will say what my nan you used to say '' a dirty child is a happy child'' as long as you wash their hands with anti-bac before their meals etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Had a distant neighbour threatening to "use a hammer to smash my dog's head" [a Staffy] a while back when she was just sitting at the gates of my house (I live in the country) keeping me company while I was working on the hedges - and he was in his car... when he saw her there while driving by.

Git was rumbling on about his wife being afraid of dogs and he's got a child or whatever, when the dog wasn't even doing anything. I had every urge to punch him, but just told him to **** off in the end.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP unless you were on your own private property then you were in the wrong to leave the dog off the lead, the father was obviously going to defend his kids from any potential threat.

In my book your dog knocking over his kid was a threat!

The father could actually report you for the actions you took

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Had a distant neighbour threatening to "use a hammer to smash my dog's head" [a Staffy] a while back when she was just sitting at the gates of my house (I live in the country) keeping me company while I was working on the hedges - and he was in his car... when he saw her there while driving by.

Git was rumbling on about his wife being afraid of dogs and he's got a child or whatever, when the dog wasn't even doing anything. I had every urge to punch him, but just told him to **** off in the end.

As long as your dog was in your securely walled/fenced garden and doesnt cause a disturbance there is jack diddly this man could do. My sister is the same, she has a rottie plus a sibe, her neighbours complained that the fences werent secure enough & her children were terrified to play in their back garden. My sister replaced the fences with more secure ones. 1 week later she gets a notice in her door from her local county council that her dogs have been reported as a nuisance. :rolleyes: You just cant win with some people no matter how responsible you are in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I would have battered the dog senseless, and reported the OP to the cops.

It's a bizarre feature of life in Ireland that people just let their dogs roam around the streets without any supervision, or let them run off their leads.

Selfish feckers.

People might think their dog is friendly. But you don't know that when it's humping towards you.

There's a boxer dog up the road from where my parents live who's allowed walk the streets on his own! The amount of times some poxy dog has hopped up on me when I'm out going for a walk.

Letting some poxy animal leggit around, hopping up on whoever he wants is the height of selfishness. Kids get bitten every day. Very often by dogs who don't have a history or being aggressive.

A close family friend of our has a dog who is mental. She always lets him run amok in the park. He ran after some woman, and she called the cops, who went round to her gaff and gave her a bollocking. She came round to our place to tell me ma about this injustice. I laughed me ass off.

you'd batter the dog senseless eh

I wouldn't expect anything else off someone from tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My sister-in-law has recently acquired a dog who is frisky. We went over to visit and my older kids enjoyed playing with it, but my poor 2-and-a-half year old daughter was afraid of it. I kept having to carry her, and I wished sis-in-law would put it away, but she kept shouting at my child "He's not going to touch you" (as if that was going to inspire confidence in a 2yo), and then ordering me to put her down. I would stoop down and encourage her to pet the dog which she loved, but when I put her down the dog was would jump up on her and knock her down and she got frightened.

In the end I lost it with her and told her I used to look after my brother's dog, but when any children called to the house who were frightened of the dog I would lock it into the shed.

She thought I was over-reacting. But she just has the same mentality as a lot of dog owners, like OP!

How are you going to cure your childs irrational fear of dogs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There are a lot of irresponsible and inconsiderate dog owners on the go. I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, but I do like nice quiet (usually older) dogs like Labradors or Collies. I admit to being a bit afraid of terriers and a few others who tend to run after anyone and anything that moves and bark/jump at it. What's really annoying then is when the owner seems oblivious to the fact that I don't want the dog coming up, jumping or barking at me. Then they get annoyed when you shout or tip the dog with the umbrella to move him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I'm a dog owner (always have been, have had dogs ever since I was a small child) and I don't have any kids of my own, and TBH if a dog ran over to AND KNOCKED DOWN a child, even if it was "being friendly", I'd probably have reacted in the same way as the father did, i.e. boot the dog off the child and roar at the owner of said dog to get it under control.

The only place my two current dogs are allowed off the lead is in our secured garden; when in public, they are on leads no matter what, and they're two very small, placid dogs (and one is so old she couldn't run if her life depended on it). The only way they could possibly knock down a child is if the child tripped over them.

It's not for me to decide that a parent should be perfectly ok to stand by and watch while a dog of mine rushes up to their child and knocks them to the ground, hence my dogs are always on leashes when out and about, and under my control....as yours should have been, given that you know your dog tends to act like that.

OK, the father probably overreacted a tad, but I reckon that was as a result of your lax response when you saw your dog knock down a child and yet didn't apologise.

Peasant hit the nail on the head IMO - people rush to the defensive and apportion blame to the other party no matter what, if people just copped on and said sorry when they were in the wrong, such matters wouldn't excalate to a shouting match in front of a scared child and a dog who was over-excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

karlog wrote: »
    How are you going to cure your childs irrational fear of dogs

Certainly not by having the dog jump up on her! As I said, she is only 2 she is happy to pet the dog if the bloody thing stays quiet! Her fear is not irrational.

It's the same as if you were walking down a street and a gang of lads jumped up on you and knocked you down, then pinned you down so you couldn't move. I'm sure you would find that rather frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

The outcome on this occasion was luckily no dog bite.
    What do you say as a dog owner if your dog bites someone, 'Oh sorry about that!'
    I like dogs but I can honestly say that I could never 100% predict what a strange dog is about to do, not even our own dogs with strangers about, you never know and I've spent alot of time around dogs. Oh course its a pain having them on a lead but if they won't return when you want them to, you're asking for trouble, I couldn't relax on a walk if I hadn't the dog under control, ie it would return when I'd call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I would have battered the dog senseless, and reported the OP to the cops.

For playfully jumping on a child!..

Have you ever seen a dog beaten senseless?, I have and its one of the most cowardly and disgusting acts ever.

Btw, should the dog decide to turn on you your pretty much fvcked you do know that?.

READ THIS ONE more than once since I've regretted not kicking the sh*t out of the cowardly little fvcktard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm neither parent nor dog-owner. I quite like dogs.
    I still believe the father was totally reasonable.

From the child's perspective it must be pretty scary to have some big animal knock you over.

And even if it was all done in good fun and there was no bite involved, simply getting knocked over can hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can't really blame the father at all, although people just don't understand dogs anymore. I'm not one that would keep a dog on a leash the whole time. Our dog (gone now) was allowed to come and go as she pleased she used to head off in the morning to do the rounds of the town getting feed by everyone.

I don't think it's right to treat dogs as prisoners, if they can't be free where you live or you can't give them that freedom every day then you shouldn't have the dog. Too many people get dogs just as a status symbol and comfort blanket. They're living creatures not toys.

You let your dog roam freely???Its the responsibility of the dog owner to exercise their dogs, allowing them to roam while your tucked up at home is lazy IMO, whos to say your dog wouldnt savage some poor kid/elderly person while your sitting watching corrie with a cuppa and you pet your dog lovingly when It arrives home.
    That was an absurd remark to make...If an owner is too lazy to bring their dogs for a walk they shouldnt have dogs.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't really blame the father at all, although people just don't understand dogs anymore. I'm not one that would keep a dog on a leash the whole time. Our dog (gone now) was allowed to come and go as she pleased she used to head off in the morning to do the rounds of the town getting feed by everyone.

I don't think it's right to treat dogs as prisoners, if they can't be free where you live or you can't give them that freedom every day then you shouldn't have the dog. Too many people get dogs just as a status symbol and comfort blanket. They're living creatures not toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maddison wrote: »
    You let your dog roam freely???Its the responsibility of the dog owner to exercise their dogs, allowing them to roam while your tucked up at home is lazy IMO, whos to say your dog wouldnt savage some poor kid/elderly person while your sitting watching corrie with a cuppa and you pet your dog lovingly when It arrives home.
    That was an absurd remark to make...If an owner is too lazy to bring their dogs for a walk they shouldnt have dogs.
    Because it was a people dog. Dogs aren't evil, they're sociable animals they don't go around mauling people for no reason. My dog actually hated kids in her later years. Hated them with a passion, especially very young kids. They'd come up to her and stand on her tail or pull her hair she hated them, but in fairness to her she did act responsibly about it. whenever a kid came near her she left immediately, it was actually funny the way she'd react to a child's voice, it was like "bollix to this I'm off". She loved attention though so kids over the age of about 5 where fine in her mind. She lived to the age of 16 and never attacked anyone.

I can't actually think of a dog around here that has attacked a person and they all roam free.

Scumlord, I have pointed out in previous posts that there are NO dogs that can be trusted 100% I would not leave my dogs in a room with my son or anyone for that matter unsupervised....my dogs are fantastic but I would not be naieve enough to think that they would never turn. Dogs are wild animals & will never be fully domesticated sure humans arent even 100% domesticated...we cant be trusted. And no dogs that have been in my family(and there have been quite a few) have bitten anyone but to say that It will never happen is ridiculous.......I wouldnt chance it anyway. Id never want to carry someone being hurt by MY dogs roaming around freely on my conscience.
    Because it was a people dog. Dogs aren't evil, they're sociable animals they don't go around mauling people for no reason. My dog actually hated kids in her later years. Hated them with a passion, especially very young kids. They'd come up to her and stand on her tail or pull her hair she hated them, but in fairness to her she did act responsibly about it. whenever a kid came near her she left immediately, it was actually funny the way she'd react to a child's voice, it was like "bollix to this I'm off". She loved attention though so kids over the age of about 5 where fine in her mind. She lived to the age of 16 and never attacked anyone.

I can't actually think of a dog around here that has attacked a person and they all roam free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

doctorjohn wrote: »

That applies to
    1) the ****e our dogs make (it is our obligation to remove same and not leave it for others to come upon)
    2) our dogs behaviour on and off the leash
    3) whether our dogs even approach anyone else (child or adult) uninvited whether on or off the leash
    4) If someone has a fear of dogs (no matter how rational or irrational) they are within their rights to ask us to remove our dogs from their presence when out in public and we should have the common decency and courtesy to remove them and not try to argue the toss by saying "ahh sure he wont bite - he's harmless"

we live in a society. We can do what we want in our own backyards but outside in public be it roads / beaches / parks / mountains / streets / estates we need to consider the others who chose not to live with dogs.

time for us to think of others first and ourselves and our dogs second.

I didn't quote it all! ^^

I am absolutley terrified of dogs, I'm in my 40's, Why? Because a "friendly harmless dog" knocked me over and bit me when I was about 5!
    So whether you think it's rational or irrational that is my choice!

It sickens and disgusts me when people let their dogs run wild and don't call them away of they run towards me. I don't like your smelly "cute" dog! Please don't let him/her jump up on me... It makes me like them even less!

If I'm in the park with my kids and your dog comes near me I will politely ask you to please take your dog away from me! I feel it is ridiculous that I have to explain why and in some cases explain that I am scared! Only to be told by YOU (several dog owners) that "Bingo/Boffo/Shep/Sh!te is harmless, he's only playing! "

PLEASE KEEP YOUR FECKIN DOG AWAY FROM ME! I didn't approach you!

If I felt I was in trouble I would kick a dog, but I'm so scared of them I don't think I'd be able to..I usually just freeze and hope that the owner will receive my silent plea via telepathy! :mad:

Just so some of you dog owners can see it from the other side! I have got on ok with some friends' dogs but only in time and none of this pushing the dog on me because he/she is "friendly"! I believe it's my call to decide whether I need new friends or not! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You know what, your right!.

When I was growing up there was always a neighbourhood door who'd wander around, it was everyone's friend and brought pleasure to young and old alike.

But we've grown into a nanny state where everyone wants to live under rules and regulations.

We'd a dog like that, 'Cindy' was her name.

She lived to over 17yrs old and only really came home at night for her bed, that was until she grew old and wouldn't venture out too often.

Its hilarious to read here what people would have done in a similar situation, beating dog's senseless, lol - sweet mother of Jesus I despair :rolleyes:

They'd beat a poor dog senseless until the dog had an owner like me.

I think we're all agreed here that the OP was in the wrong to let his dog off the leash whilst he could not exercise effective control over the dog. Its at best 50/50 if the childs father was right or wrong to kick the dog, it if was my dog he'd most likely have lost the use of a leg for his efforts :mad:

'Poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

If it is a friendly dog, then it did not deserve to be kicked. It was clearly only making a friendly greeting. My dog used to have a habit of jumping up on people as a greeting and never did anyone interpret it as an aggressive attack. There's a clear visible difference between a dog acting friendly and a dog acting aggressively.

Kicking a dog for something such as this would be like kicking a young child for accidentally hitting you with their ball. From what I gather the child was not in any danger and the father acted with unwarranted aggression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

ok ok ok you can calm it down. I shouldn't have said I'd beat the dog "senseless", point taken. It was a dumb thing to say, and I didn't even mean it.

But, if a dog is on top of my toddler, then I'm going to give it an good boot to get him off the kid, and I don't care who it's owner is, and I don't care if I'm screwed if the dog attacks me. I'd rather the dog and owner attack me thatn the kid. In that case, the owner would be going to jail. You can look at things from the perspective of a dog lover if you like. I look at things from the side of the fence where I've seen kids attacked by dogs.

A dog hopping up on a toddler with enough power to knock them over is an absolute threat to them, as far as a parent is concerned. I don't know what the dog is going to do. I'm going to protect the kid.

Dog owners need to be less selfish. They can do some nasty stuff very quickly. Nothing wrong with putting them on one of those leashes that allow them to go a long way but still be under control.

Whereas I may have over reacted in terms of what I' do to the dog, insofar as once he's off the kid I wouldn't do anything else. I didn't exaggerate about calling the cops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I feel sorry for the poor dog. The owner was completely responsible for it getting a kick. If I was the dad I would have done the same, but if the OP was more responsible (you knew it was a "friendly" dog), it wouldn't have happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement