Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and crazy parents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Maddison wrote: »
    I agree completely, when Im out shopping Id sometimes love to put a leash on my darling little boy but unfortunately It might be seen as child abuse.:pac:

I'm serious about that actually. Parents need to control their kids around dogs equally.

I've been in a situation in the park where this hyper little fecker came running around me after my doggie (was on a lead) shouting and trying to slap her, completely ignoring his mothers callings, and me telling him to stop, her trying to get away from him all the time.

Culminated in him trodding on her paw and her letting out a squeal. If off the lead, at least she could've run away from the little b****x.

Ironically were she a less placid dog, she could have turned and taken a lump out of him and then would've be "you dog bit my little darling"

Maybe I should post in R&R....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Wow OP. I have to commend the fathers self restraint in only kicking the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jimmid098

In my opinion there is no 100% friendly dog & there is no true way of telling that a dog is going to be friendly on approach, dogs can turn within a split second.
    god you are so wrong !!!!! We have had various dogs including two pitbulls, a saint bernard, a dogue de bordeaux and a boxer.... No two dogs are the same and most of it rests on the dogs upbringing, same as u teach ur children right from wrong u also have the responsibility to train ur dog.. We lost our boxer "Toby" last year through illness and never was there a dog like him. Boxers are known for there giddyness and foolishness and the fact that mentally they remain in a puppy stage all their lives but as i said there are no two dogs the same. Toby loved every single person he ever met. With children and babies (we have 4) he was gentle and slow, careful around them and would lie there and let them do as they pleased(even if that meant pulling his ears).. With adults and other dogs he was loving and friendly. Never in his lifetime did he show agression to anything or anyone. He was the proof that there are dogs u can trust with ur life, ur home and ur children, which I did all the time.. I am not some idiot that putd their dog above people but he was perfect.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

doctorjohn wrote: »
    I agree totally. My youngest is a greater threat to the safety of society than any dog I know. However if I put him in the kennel out back at night the social workers would come a knocking

Funnily enough...I remember when the dogs were just pups, I saw my little angel climbing into the dogs kennel & telling the dogs to get out:D

If you read any of my posts correctly you would see that my point was untimately dogs are wild animals that have been domesticated over the years therefor are never truely tame.....my bitch molly is the lovliest dog in the world in my eyes but I still would not trust her 100% with my child so please instead of just picking a post out of the air to quote READ the posts first.:rolleyes:
    jimmid098 wrote: »
    god you are so wrong !!!!! We have had various dogs including two pitbulls, a saint bernard, a dogue de bordeaux and a boxer.... No two dogs are the same and most of it rests on the dogs upbringing, same as u teach ur children right from wrong u also have the responsibility to train ur dog.. We lost our boxer "Toby" last year through illness and never was there a dog like him. Boxers are known for there giddyness and foolishness and the fact that mentally they remain in a puppy stage all their lives but as i said there are no two dogs the same. Toby loved every single person he ever met. With children and babies (we have 4) he was gentle and slow, careful around them and would lie there and let them do as they pleased(even if that meant pulling his ears).. With adults and other dogs he was loving and friendly. Never in his lifetime did he show agression to anything or anyone. He was the proof that there are dogs u can trust with ur life, ur home and ur children, which I did all the time.. I am not some idiot that putd their dog above people but he was perfect.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jimmid098

I did read your post correctly maddison im just saying that you are wrong in your opinion sorry if this does not sit well with you but you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else its just that people tend to follow the expected trend:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

Stones85 wrote: »
    Wow OP. I have to commend the fathers self restraint in only kicking the dog.

+1

i'd have had a full and frank exchange of views with the OP if it was my kid that got knocked over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

I'm 23 years old and - wait for it - I don't particularly like dogs. Yes, I'm a cold heartless be-atch. :rolleyes: I just never had one of my own when I was growing up, and it's not that I'm scared of them, I just don't like being around dogs, or any other animal really.

But it drives me mental if I'm out walking, and next thing I have this massive stinky hairy monster barking up into my face. And then you'll get the owner running up all out-of-breath behind it - "Oh don't worry, he's fine, his bark is worse than his bite ha ha." It's like they expect you to be all over the creature, petting it or whatever, and they're insulted when you just push it off and walk on.

If it bothers me, I can only imagine how terrified a tiny child would be, especially when he was actually knocked over by it. Because of your carelessness, he could easily develop a lifelong phobia of dogs. I don't condone violence against dogs, but the child's father was only doing what he perceived to be necessary at that moment in order to protect his son, and rightly so. You should just count yourself very lucky that he didn't kick you too! If you're not prepared to be responsible for your dog, maybe you should reconsider having it.

jimmid098 wrote: »
    I did read your post correctly maddison im just saying that you are wrong in your opinion sorry if this does not sit well with you but you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else its just that people tend to follow the expected trend:rolleyes:

Well NO dog can be trusted 100% and Its people that think their little angels would never harm a soul that end up the sorry ones. Even the Dog Whisperer says it so how can he be wrong:rolleyes:
    If you are looking to just express your opinion you shouldnt quote another post unless your post is more than just opinion & you have FACTS to back them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

YT wrote: »
    I was out walking with my dad when I was about 10 and a St Bernard dog ran and jumped on me, it knocked me down to the ground and wouldn't get off me. My dad kicked it off me. The owner went mad saying the dog was just playing and wanted my icecream and was calling my dad every name under the sun.

What the f*ck was he supposed to do? "Oh it's ok, that huge big dog has my young daughter pinned down, it's only playing, darling give it your icecream"

F*ck off.

I've been afraid of dogs (and gollybars!) since, actually not so much afraid as wary, and I hate when people who have their dogs off their leads at the beach and the dog runs up at you, they tut and moan saying at you when you flinch.
    Not everyone likes dogs, and not everyone knows your dog is playing.

as someone who once owned a st bernard ( untill tinkers poisioned it ) i sympathise with your story , an average fully grown st bernard weighs in access of 11 stone and would hurt a grown up were it to pounce on them let alone a 10 year old , while a st bernarnd is possibly the least agressive of any breed of dog , their sheer weight means they can kill you with kindness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Magnus wrote: »
    You tell me, don't you have a couple dogs yourself on that list? What happens when a unleashed and unmuzzled Rottweiler or Staffordshire Bull Terrier runs up to and knocks over a child?

Oh they'd gobble the child up in a heart beat!.. :rolleyes:

I'd trust a supervised Staffie or a Rottie over most other dogs tbh.

Rotties, Staffies and Pitbulls have some of the best reputations as family pets, although I wouldn't leave any dog alone with a child regardless what kind of breed it is.

Having said that, there's a lot of people I wouldn't allow have either a dog or a child.

Each year nearly 2.8 million children are bitten by a dog, and nearly 80% of these are inflicted by intact (not neutered) males. Data from the American Veterinary Medicine Association (AVMA) shows that not only are children more likely to be bitten by a dog than an adult, but that dog bites are one of the three main reasons a child will need to visit an ER. In addition, most children are bitten by dogs that they know. While it is often claimed that no dog can be 100% trusted not to bite a child, it is certainly true that some dogs are more likely to bite a child. And unfortunately, if a dog has already bitten a child it must be admitted that the chances of him doing this again are higher than if he had not already bitten.

Article written by (James Glover (Dr.) is widely experienced in small animal practice. He attended Vet school at Kansas State University - Manhattan, Kansas, and has practiced in various hospitals in New Jersey throughout his career, as well as having various dog training diplomas. Now retired, he is well known for giving seminars on animal care and helps educate rescued pet adopters through volunteer work.)

Googled ''can any dog be 100% trusted'' no article that is written by experts states that any dog can be trusted one hundred per cent...I just thought that we needed this to be added to his thread so anyone that states I know my dogs can be trusted 100% cause NO they cant....FACT. I know MY dogs are more likely to lick you to death but all it takes is illness/an off day for them to turn & animals unlike humans cant turn around & say p*ss off I have a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Ok after reading all the posts i can understand him kicking my dog and i take resposibilty for what my dog did. After all it was his very young daughter. The only problem i have is him threatening to actually have my dog put down if kicking it and sending it away yelping wasn't enough to satisfy him. From are argument i can conclude that this guy was a c*nt of the highest caliber and luckily he did'nt try to kick me aswell or i would of strangled him with the leash that should of been around my dogs neck in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

karlog wrote: »
    Ok after reading all the posts i can understand him kicking my dog and i take resposibilty for what my dog did. After all it was his very young daughter. The only problem i have is him threatening to actually have my dog put down if kicking it and sending it away yelping wasn't enough to satisfy him. From are argument i can conclude that this guy was a c*nt of the highest caliber and luckily he did'nt try to kick me aswell or i would of strangled him with the leash that should of been around my dogs neck in the first place.
    Grow up. You were in the wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From are argument i can conclude that this guy was a c*nt of the highest caliber and luckily he did'nt try to kick me aswell or i would of strangled him with the leash that should of been around my dogs neck in the first place.

OK I'm not sure if your more danger to children with an out of control dog, to us with a computer keyboard & 'net connect or to yourself with that shovel your using to dig yourself a bigger hole!.

Give it over, your hardly painting us a brilliant picture of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

See ...and that's what the real problem is.

Recently I've noticed that the attitude of most adults, once they're in charge of either dogs or children just stinks.

Accidents do happen ...dogs knock children over / children annoy dogs. In both cases it's the adult that's to blame for not properly supervising their dog or child. But instead of owning up to it, apologise and offer to make good any damage caused, shake hands and have a consoling word for the child or dog ...both parents and/or dog owners go into "protective overdrive".

Shouting matches, abuse, violence ...anything but accept responsibility.

Great examples we're setting for our children :rolleyes:
    (and sadly also for our dogs. Because they too will pick up on all the aggression during these incidents and loose some of that trust in people that made them into the harmless dog that they were before the incident)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hey OP I am a dog owner/lover and a father, quite fond of the Kid too. I have never been without a dog from day I was born and would never see any harm come to any animal if it could be avoided even use humaine mouse traps and release any in a sutable place when caught, how ever I have to say if a dog I do not know that is big enough to knock my kid over does so and I am near enough to react I will use any force available to get that dog away from my child, just a kick sounds restrained. It must have been a scary incedent for the kid involved, what if the kid hurt your dog in its reaction to what it might have percieved as an attack then the dog tries to defend itself then it all gets out of hand, how did the kid react btw? You had a choice, let the dog off or not, the child was not so lucky, you need to control your dog one way or another. Not a good experiance for anyone involved.

Did you not see me stress that i accept responsibilty

Oh and believe me i tried to reason with this guy but he was having none of it. I could'nt care less what anyone's opinion of me is and i refuse to take a passive approach to rowdy parents over a minor accident.

And yes it was a minor accident, if my dog bit that child the father would of had every single right to put my dog down. He made it out to be more serious than it actually was so i dont think i'm digging a deeper hole for my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

Karlog,

I don't want you to think that I am picking on you but I think you are failing to see the point that the man brought his little kids out for a walk and an unleashed dog knocked down his little 'un.

This family presumeably is not a dog owning family otherwise the other kids probably would have their dog with them on a leash.

I don't get any impression from your OP that the little kid ran over to your dog and initiated the contact.

The appropriate action from yourself (apart from having the dog on a lead) would have been a rapid and sincere apology / check that the child was OK followed by a hasty retreat and not ventureing out with your dog again until both you and him could be trusted around parents and children.

You are not seeing that the father's response is the same response that almost every other father would have done (myself included)(happen to be dog owner myself which is neither here nor there).

Bending over arseways apologising to the child and father is the correct manouvre for yourself in this situation not goading the dad for a fight becuase your sensibilities were hurt because of bad language and a frightened adrenaline filled response from the father.

Deep down you know you were in the wrong but seem to be having a difficulty admitting it to yourself and moving on from it.

We are all entitled to make mistakes. We are human. However we have to learn from them so as not to be doomed to repeat them. Also we all need to realise that the world does not revolve around ourselves and our needs and feelings but that we need to consider the world from the viewpoint of others.

I'd say your dog is just a giddy dog that needs a bit of guidance. Good look in providing it. Please don't take any of his behaviour for granted again as we have to consider others and a sincere apology trumps fisticuffs any day and if it came to blows between a protective frightened father vs an unrestrained dog and its owner............

I think you got away lightly.

Yes i think i did get away lightly

In my opinion parents become amazingly irrational when it comes to their kids. Me being only 21 i hope i never end up like that. I accept that i was in the wrong and i admit that. I guess i lost my temper with this man with his unreasoning and his threats against my dog. He lost his temper and so did I. As i said im not a passive person nor am i aggressive.

Many of the replys are in favour of the father. I'm in favour of him also to a point.........i just believe he acted far too irrationally towards me when he should of been more reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well NO dog can be trusted 100% and Its people that think their little angels would never harm a soul that end up the sorry ones. Even the Dog Whisperer says it so how can he be wrong:rolleyes:
    While I agree with you 100% that no dog can be completly trusted, I have to say I wouldn't give too much credit to anything the Dog Whisperer has to say (assuming its Caesar Milan you're referring to).
    And yes it was a minor accident, if my dog bit that child the father would of had every single right to put my dog down. He made it out to be more serious than it actually was so i dont think i'm digging a deeper hole for my self.
    No it WASN'T a minor incident. The child could be scarred for life, terrified of dogs, and never get to know the real joy that they bring. It may not happen, but equally it could happen - all as a result of YOUR actions. I've seen the results of a person having a dog jump on them as a child, a well-balanced mid-20's woman terrified of a Papillon even though the dog was in my arms at the time and 4 feet away from her (not even looking at her because a stranger was petting him at the time). Its no fun for them so stop trying to kid yourself that it was minor.

Small incidents like this can leave lasting scars that may never heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

"And yes it was a minor accident"
    If a person ran up to you and knocked you off your feet that would be an attack, you don't seem to get the primal instinct a parent has to protect their children and if the father had a rant at you and threatened to kill your dog you got off lightly, a bottle of jd and a voucher for your local play center for the kids might be a more appropriate response...

edit JD for the dad not the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

I see the fun police / nanny state / outraged citizen brigade are alive and well.

Get on to Joe Duffy I say. Lets outlaw this heinous crime of allowing animals in the countryside without being on the end of a rope. Or lets have parks dedicated to the little angels. (Anyone know where we can get enough cotton wool to wrap a park in? I heard a kid fell over in phoenix past year and grazed their knee!!)

In my opinion parents become amazingly irrational when it comes to their kids. Me being only 21 i hope i never end up like that. I accept that i was in the wrong and i admit that. I guess i lost my temper with this man with his unreasoning and his threats against my dog. He lost his temper and so did I. As i said im not a passive person nor am i aggressive.

Many of the replys are in favour of the father. I'm in favour of him also to a point.........i just believe he acted far too irrationally towards me when he should of been more reasonable

Karlog, I dont believe that I am in any way irrational when It comes to my child but If I feel that someone put my child in danger(whether you think it was harmless or not) I would unleash the bi*ch in me.

johndoc wrote: »
    I see the fun police / nanny state / outraged citizen brigade are alive and well.

Get on to Joe Duffy I say. Lets outlaw this heinous crime of allowing animals in the countryside without being on the end of a rope. Or lets have parks dedicated to the little angels. (Anyone know where we can get enough cotton wool to wrap a park in? I heard a kid fell over in phoenix past year and grazed their knee!!)

Trolling IMO.
    I have a child & a dog....children will get bumps and scrapes....no one is saying anything about a child scratching their knees here, read the thread before you start trying to waffle on.

So are you trying to say i scarred that girl for life. That because of me she will be living in fear of dogs for the rest of her life!!

She could be fine for all you know you really are thinking of the worst case scenario. By the way aren't things like this all part of growing up?

I sense you are another irrational parent that is too protective over there children.

I weep for the future of Irish kids:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In my opinion parents become amazingly irrational when it comes to their kids. Me being only 21 i hope i never end up like that.

:rolleyes: Well you're off to a good start with your fur baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Oh they'd gobble the child up in a heart beat!.. :rolleyes:

I'd trust a supervised Staffie or a Rottie over most other dogs tbh.

Rotties, Staffies and Pitbulls have some of the best reputations as family pets, although I wouldn't leave any dog alone with a child regardless what kind of breed it is.

Having said that, there's a lot of people I wouldn't allow have either a dog or a child.

totally agree with yer last comment ,baffling the amount of people that have children ,dogs etc and dont look after them properly

I never stated this....I am not out to get you Karlog what I am saying is that your assumption that parents are irrational when it comes to protecting their children is unfair...you will learn when you have children yourself that is if you ever choose to have children. I know you did not mean for your dog to knock over that child but all Im saying is that this has been a lesson learned for you. Im not perfect in anyway either as a parent or a dog owner but we must learn from our mistakes, I wouldnt take offence to anything that is being said here. But I do find it offensive that you would consider a parent protecting their child as being irrational.

So are you trying to say i scarred that girl for life. That because of me she will be living in fear of dogs for the rest of her life!!

She could be fine for all you know you really are thinking of the worst case scenario. By the way aren't things like this all part of growing up?

I sense you are another irrational parent that is too protective over there children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm guessing this might be aimed at me?

And no, not an irrational parent at all - not even a parent yet.

I'm not saying that you HAVE scarred this child for life, I'm simply saying that its one potential outcome of the incident. Basically I'm rubbishing your claim that it was just a minor incident (in your opinion). Even if the child is perfectly ok after it, which we can all hope for, it still wasn't just a minor incident.

I suppose if nothing else at least its got you thinking about things and hopefully you might work a bit harder with your dog and their recall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement