Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any decent sick excuses?!!

Options
  • 03-07-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

ok so long story short: not allowed take hols from work but i booked one anyway for 2 weeks which means im likely to be fired!! any excuses you can come up with to call in sick that might be believable???!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

ok so long story short: not allowed take hols from work but i booked one anyway for 2 weeks which means im likely to be fired!! any excuses you can come up with to call in sick that might be believable???!!!

You have swine influenza, naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Emergency foot transplant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Skin failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

For two weeks? Are you good at pretending to have a terminal illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

for two weeks it will have a doctors cert.

How come you dont get holidays.

Family crisis is a good one but you cant do that now since you kinda booked hols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zombies ate my brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Yes, Make sure you are SICK!. otherwise you risk getting fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sex change op. Hehe, that'd give em a fright.

work related stress

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're going to be fired, because there's no way they'll accept any excuse without a cert after two weeks.

You also apparently already asked them for the time off. This is a total failure of an enterprise.

You may as well just make something up. Tell them you have Whooping Bladder Syndrome, or Fuzzle Nose-Pot Fever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

work related stress
    Good thinking.

Zillah wrote: »
    You're going to be fired, because there's no way they'll accept any excuse without a cert after two weeks.

Certs mean nothing tbh. So easy to get a cert from a doctor for €20.

OP, its the company doctor you should fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Certs mean nothing tbh. So easy to get a cert from a doctor for €20.

OP, its the company doctor you should fear.

? Certs do mean something - they are legally binding and the company doctor can not be enforced on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

What sort of sick are we talkin about? Sick as in puking or sick as in I like 5 year old boys, cos theres no excuse for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Coming back to work with a tan might be a tad suspicious too :)

enda1 wrote: »
    ? Certs do mean something - they are legally binding and the company doctor can not be enforced on you.

I meant in that it would be hard to get one. Doctors seem very at ease handing them out.. well my doctor defo does. I was kinda shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Enjoy the dole queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Just say 'women's issues'. You'll get three weeks if you're a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

If you think you are going to get fired, I wouldn't worry too much about any excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

waraf wrote: »
    Coming back to work with a tan might be a tad suspicious too :)

Jaundice? the tan would seal the deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I raped your dog and got some canine STD

Thats pretty sick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Enjoy the holiday because it will probably be your last for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Depends on your situation OP. If you are in permanent employment and don't mind your employer hating you forever then it's just a matter of getting a cert. If however you are trying to convince your boss that you actually are sick I'd say that horse bolted when you asked for the time off and were refused. The only thing I could suggest is getting a friend to cause an accident in work in which you get burnt or sprain an ankle. Fall over carelessly left out mop bucket or some such.Once you assure them it was only an accident and you don't intend to take legal action they're unlikely to quibble over your recovery time....but I'd recommend just cancelling the holiday or leaving the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Tell em yr sick of work and need 2 weeks to recover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

"Not allowed take hols from work"

Why? It's one of your basic rights as an employee, unless you're in some sort of contract type thing I'm not aware of...

BSing them you're sick for a fortnight is just gonna get you the can...go and demand the time off for family reasons or just tell them you need to get the hell out of the country for a bit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah lol forget the holiday. Cancel it and accept the penalties of doing that. Your going to lose a lot more if you lose your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I know a guy that used depression to as an excuse to get off work for 3 weeks.

Look up what it consists of then go to the doctor and he will give you a Sick cert

Burn your job down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Call in dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Wertz wrote: »
    "Not allowed take hols from work"

Why? It's one of your basic rights as an employee, unless you're in some sort of contract type thing I'm not aware of...

BSing them you're sick for a fortnight is just gonna get you the can...go and demand the time off for family reasons or just tell them you need to get the hell out of the country for a bit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays

It's one of your basic rights to get annual leave. It's not one of your basic rights that you can take annual leave whenever you feel like it. In most jobs, it is at the discretion of your manager as to when you take it (ie the manager needs to make sure that there are enough people around to staff the office/shop/factory/whatever at any given time).

Advertisement