Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It just occurred to me today......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dave! wrote: »
    Nobody cares what you think

Ha ha! well said and its not enough just to thank it! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

1. We are a very small nation

Whatever.

2. We are an island, and so much more isolated that other nations.

Not really, people have been coming to and going from Ireland for thousands of years.
    3. I know we wouldn't be completely banjaxed, but the whole colonisation thing definitely helped.

What makes you think that? What data do you have to compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Of corse what everyones ignoring is that if the English hadn't invaded then the French (non Norman type's that is) or the Spanish would have.

Possibly Irish leaders (e.g. O'Neills and O'Donnells, O'Connors) would have voluntarily sworn alleigance to the King of Spain in return for protection from Protestant Europe - or would have been ordered to do something like that by the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Of corse what everyones ignoring is that if the English hadn't invaded then the French (non Norman type's that is) or the Spanish would have.

And interacial marriages would have resulted in much sexier people with our black hair and brown eyes and sallow skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It would have been nicer if the Irish and Brits could have worked together, 800 years of oppression doesn't seem worth it somehow.

On a related note

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

again, you cant justify colonialisation for simple reason it is always done for alterior motives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Or we might have ended up like Finland who also speak a quare language no one else speaks - i.e. no crime, excellent social services, good solid economy and innovative people, English as a 2nd language...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Or we might have ended up like Finland who also speak a quare language no one else speaks - i.e. no crime, excellent social services, good solid economy and innovative people...

Now THAT seems a bloomin' fine idea to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Biggins wrote: »
    Now THAT seems a bloomin' fine idea to me!

i'd like to think our birds would be as hot as theirs too but that's a fat chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

We'd have ended up rebelling against the Spanish, French or Portugese if the British hadn't colonised us first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We'd have ended up rebelling against the Spanish, French or Portugese if the British hadn't colonised us first.
    True, the current shower are hanging on by the thin thread and we elected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Seriously.... this thread..... go back to England.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Oh god yeah I agree. It's not like anyone in france, or germany, or india, or japan, or africa speaks english either............... :\

India and a lot of Africa were colonised aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

in a way tho the whole world was colonised, i mean different terms but the same result, its all part of history, might as well forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

in a way tho the whole world was colonised, i mean different terms but the same result, its all part of history, might as well forget it.

England, France, Spain! Unless you count Africians, Indians and asians in general have yet to be colonized,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

My God this thread is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

England, France, Spain! Unless you count Africians, Indians and asians in general have yet to be colonized,

But the Spanish were dominated by the Muslim Moors for centuries/The Romans invaded England. I mean a lot of people would say Ireland wasn't a colony at all and was very much part of the empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

Im more pissed off the romans didnt get to us. We might actually have a decent road infrastructure if they did

lol

... and meh to the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

like the

french
    chinese
    japenese
    russians
    argentinians
    brazilians

you are right, and not a complete idiot, we would be cut off from the rest of the world

But the Spanish were dominated by the Muslim Moors for centuries/The Romans invaded England. I mean a lot of people would say Ireland wasn't a colony at all and was very much part of the empire.

some of ''spain'' was conquered by the muslims

all lot of people = the english?

ireland wasnt a part of the empire - it was there to service the empire and to be made ''civilised'' and be exploited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

interesting thread.

its hard to say really, britian has played such a long role in the countries history that its hard to imagine what ireland would be like today without them.

if the uk never colonised ireland then france/ spain definetly would have(the british always feared this) it would be an interesting to see today anyway, or on the flip side, ireland would have been a imperial nation and spread the irish language across the globe and today irish would be spoken all over the world.

i honestly feel ireland today is much worse off for britians involvement, we are too subservient to them in my opinion, for example britian is always used as a yardstick for ireland, i was watching sports matters on setanta sports and they were talking about racism in ireland, one of the guys on the panel was saying 'britian is much further ahead of us when it comes to accepting people of other cultures' you probably wont understand what im getting at but i definetly see this.

oh and people who say ireland would have been too small, if growth had continued at the level before the famine and we never became the nation of emmigrants, irelands population would be something like 30 million today, its a vast country with so much empty space. i'm not sure if this is completely right but at the time of the famine we had a population of 8 million and the uk something like 21 million and our population was growing at a much faster rate than that of the uk.

Munster is bigger than Netherlands yet has a population of just over 1 and a half million today.

I like this post! Nicely said devereaux!

how would the spanish have treated us? a lot better i would imagine
    even the french would have treated us better

it would have been harder for them to keep the link also

ireland had a much larger population than american for a period also.
    and our population would have kept rising - and that would have improved our economy

re america - 1800 - 5,308,483 1810 - 7,239,881 1820 - 9,638,453 1830 - 12,866,020 1840 - 17,069,453 1850 - 23,191,876

take in our size and we could easily accomadate the 30,000,000 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

it would have been harder for them to keep the link also

ireland had a much larger population than american for a period also.
    and our population would have kept rising - and that would have improved our economy

re america - 1800 - 5,308,483 1810 - 7,239,881 1820 - 9,638,453 1830 - 12,866,020 1840 - 17,069,453 1850 - 23,191,876

take in our size and we could easily accomadate the 30,000,000 today

defo and hey did i mention better variety of women too heheheheh:p

no doubt

sexy senoritas and/or fit french birds

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

*cough* Inquistion *cough*

*cough* Inquistion *cough*

and Latin America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

........that we are very fortunate the English colonised us for hundreds of years.* If it never happened we would still be speaking Irish exclusively, not that I have a problem with that, but without English we would be completely shut off from the outside world, our economy would never have got going at all due to the language barrier, and the whole country would generally be an awful lot worse off.

What pisses me off though, is the idiots who start complaining about the 800 years of oppression (not that I condone it), and then turn on their music videos or whatever the next day and generally tune into their privileged, English-centred lifestyle. Yes, I know the music videos example is a bit random.

But anyway, thoughts?

*I'm not English.

Fail....

Troll.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

phasers wrote: »
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-??...................``~.,
    .............................,.-?...................................?-.,
    .........................,/...............................................?:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:?........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....?~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....?~,_........?~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......?=,_.......?-,_.......,.-~-,},.~?;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......?=-._......?;,,./`..../?............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......?~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-?
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

My God this thread is stupid

Typical boards.ie west-brit nonsense tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yes end this now. Colonisation is wrong. All about greed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Right. There are loads in hypocrites in this country who hold love / hate relationships with the English. Make up your f*cking minds, you morons!

That's not really fair. You can criticize what Britain did to Ireland in the past, and still have no problem with British people /culture now. Isn't it better to move on from the past than say ''I won't support any English football teams/ shop in English shops. etc because of what their ancestors did 800 years ago?"

It's not like the British people alive now have anything to do with what happened in the past. So I don't think it's hypocritical to criticize the British (not all of them , just those in power, of course) of 800 years ago , and still be perfectly okay with those that are around now.

The only hypocrites are those who hate the present day British people (i.e. the type that would give someone abuse for having an English accent, for example) while wearing a Man U jersey.

To the OP, I get your point, but I think even if we weren't colonised by Britain we would no doubt have had trading partnerships etc, with them and in this way, we would probably have learned English. I'd say we would be bilingual now - I seriously doubt we would have remained an isolated island that only spoke Irish.

Advertisement