Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It just occurred to me today......

Options
  • 02-07-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

........that we are very fortunate the English colonised us for hundreds of years.* If it never happened we would still be speaking Irish exclusively, not that I have a problem with that, but without English we would be completely shut off from the outside world, our economy would never have got going at all due to the language barrier, and the whole country would generally be an awful lot worse off.

What pisses me off though, is the idiots who start complaining about the 800 years of oppression (not that I condone it), and then turn on their music videos or whatever the next day and generally tune into their privileged, English-centred lifestyle. Yes, I know the music videos example is a bit random.

But anyway, thoughts?

*I'm not English.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Oh god yeah I agree. It's not like anyone in france, or germany, or india, or japan, or africa speaks english either............... :\

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...without English we would be completely shut off from the outside world, our economy would never have got going at all due to the language barrier, and the whole country would generally be an awful lot worse off.

I think you haven't thought the above through.
    So we would be up the creek if we were only speaking our own language and not English?
    Gee - I can't imagine how other European countries are coping with their other languages!
    They must be really behind the times and more downtrodden, trying to cope socially, politically and economically. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im more pissed off the romans didnt get to us. We might actually have a decent road infrastructure if they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

........that we are very fortunate the English colonised us for hundreds of years.* If it never happened we would still be speaking Irish exclusively, not that I have a problem with that, but without English we would be completely shut off from the outside world, our economy would never have got going at all due to the language barrier, and the whole country would generally be an awful lot worse off.

What pisses me off though, is the idiots who start complaining about the 800 years of oppression (not that I condone it), and then turn on their music videos or whatever the next day and generally tune into their privileged, English-centred lifestyle. Yes, I know the music videos example is a bit random.

But anyway, thoughts?

*I'm not English.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I'm all for learning English as a foriegn language, but the OP is correct. I certainly find it easier to follow whats going on in Corrie, Eastenders and the other one and cheer on my favourite British football club by virtue of having English as my native tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Im more pissed off the romans didnt get to us. We might actually have a decent road infrastructure if they did
    We would probably have dug them up because they represented the foreign occupier, well, after all, we did get rid of most of our rail lines.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OP, you're wrong about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

No, we'd just be bilingual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Biggins wrote: »
    I think you haven't thought the above through.
    So we would be up the creek if we were only speaking our own language and not English?
    Gee - I can't imagine how other European countries are coping with their other languages!
    They must be really behind the times and more downtrodden, trying to cope socially, politically and economically. :rolleyes:
    Yeah but with French, a large population of French speaking people in many countries.
    Irish, a small little population speaking it in Ireland. Hoo-ha.

Okay, so yeah, it's not the greatest factor, but it is a factor nonetheless.

Now, if we could speak Irish and English, it'd be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

galwayrush wrote: »
    We would probably have dug them up because they represented the foreign occupier, well, after all, we did get rid of most of our rail lines.:rolleyes:
    True.We really are a country of idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It just occurred to me today....

....that AH needed a bit of stirring and you thought you'd cause some trouble:rolleyes:

jumpguy wrote: »
    ...Now, if we could speak Irish and English, it'd be much better.

Aaa here now... What do you think we are? I can barely work out how to turn on the pc! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

this is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

the OP missed out the best arguement, we can holiday in all the other former british colonies without having to carry a travel adapter for the plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

language great English is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

True.We really are a country of idiots

Naw. we're actually ok, it's the people who run the place who are the idiots, now who elects them........oh wait.................

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

This thread's trouble.

I wonder how the Danes, Dutch, Finns, Greeks, Icelanders, Norwegians and Portuguese ever got by without English as a first language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

We would be speaking english anyway. Such a small country with such a powerful neighbour would add a lot of dependency.
    We would still have bbc tv, that would learn us.

To be honest, I see the argument as: was it worth 800 years of brutality and oppression (to hell or to connaught etc) for 20 - 100 years of prosperity? A bit selfish if you ask me. Wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Oh god yeah I agree. It's not like anyone in france, or germany, or india, or japan, or africa speaks english either............... :\
    Africa is not a country. :P Unless you did the continent...in which case, quite a lot of it is capable of speaking English due to colonism (sp?) there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

me fail english?
    that's umpossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

itsallabouttheL don't post that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Not everything.

Wrong.

Right. There are loads in hypocrites in this country who hold love / hate relationships with the English. Make up your f*cking minds, you morons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

are you saying we should be grateful for eight hundred years of oppression. wont bore you with the history. everyone knows it. ridiculous thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

javaboy wrote: »
    itsallabouttheL don't post that again.

I hate when mods to that! Because now I know it was controversial and I want to see what it was!:pac:

I smell trouble coming with this thread.
    Can I vote for closure if only for it will go nowhere good?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

This is not a joke topic.

Anyways.............I know people made the point about other countries but my argument goes as follows:

1. We are a very small nation
    2. We are an island, and so much more isolated that other nations.
    3. I know we wouldn't be completely banjaxed, but the whole colonisation thing definitely helped.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Not everything.

Wrong.

Right. There are loads in hypocrites in this country who hold love / hate relationships with the English. Make up your f*cking minds, you morons!

Very good. I have loads of mini Repulican friends who follow arsenal, united, liverpool etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Things in this country should thank the British for :

1. Language
    2. Architecture
    3. Blonde British women (south of Birmingham).

Google: "langerland - Top 10 - What Have The Brits Ever Done For Us?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

*I'm not English.

No but judgeing by your previous posts your about 18 and have a very poor history and geography knowledge. If as a nation we all spoke irish as you put it then like say switzerland or even andora in the mountains of spain we would be no doubt multicultural and speak at least 2 languages Irish and English. Instead we only speak one and rather badly at that! The tourist industry would be very interesting though

I am sad by the fact I do not speak irish very well. I think as a society it ruins our identity in life

Advertisement