Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So there I was thinking "I actually want this British tennis player to win"....

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and Xabi Alonso played hurling as a teenager in Meath as an exchange student.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Rooney, Carrick, Gerrard, Scholes, Fletcher, Carragher all have Irish ancestors

Yeah thats right Gerrard and Carragher are both distant relatives of the Irish Travelling Community:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

mike65 wrote: »
    Fighting talk! dlofnep shall be along shortly, anyway the bad news is that Murray is looking like being a straight sets winner over some nobody called Ferrero

Only one of Ferrero and Murray has been world number 1, and only one of them has won a major.

I thought I'd play the role of the pedantic pr1ck in this thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Mackman wrote: »
    Ive noticed this too, i once heard an English commentator talking about the great British soccer player, Roy Keane......:rolleyes:

Really ? can you name the commentator /match / date ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wimbledon is a British tournament.
    The Brits haven't won the singles for years.
    Murray is a decent prospect.
    Naturally they are going to hype him up.
    It would be odd if they didn't.

Turn it off if it bothers you that much.

Or else join the IRA. I'm sure they'd love to have you in their ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Primarily Liverpool; owned by Americans, managed by a Spaniard and with more Spanish players than English, and
    Man Utd; owned by Americans, managed by a Scot and with loads of nationalities playing for them!

hahahahahaha
    get to f*ck

Irish people have supported British football clubs for decades. LONG BEFORE they had non-British owners and influxes of foreign players.

i.e Irish people supported British football clubs when the players were predominately British.

you're just clutching at straws.

just admit you're a hypocrite who doesn't know whether to love or hate the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

A long long time ago ...

Both Willoughby Hamilton (Kildare) and Lena Rice (Tipperary) won their respective categories in 1890 and Joshua Pim from Bray won Wimbledon twice in 1893 and '94. A long time ago and you'd have to wonder what has been happening ever since.

Well with good Oirish names like that how could they lose :P Didn't Patsy O' Potato come close in 1883 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Federer will win.
    All other discussion is moot. :pac:;)

Edit:
    Don't get why people hate Murray.
    He seems a down-to-earth and decent enough tennis player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    hahahahahaha
    get to f*ck

Irish people have supported British football clubs for decades. LONG BEFORE they had non-British owners and influxes of foreign players.

i.e Irish people supported British football clubs when the players were predominately British.

you're just clutching at straws.

just admit you're a hypocrite who doesn't know whether to love or hate the Brits.
    Nah, I know I hate them.

And when these 2 clubs (mainly, although Arsenal and Leeds have big followings here too... will never understand the appeal of Chelsea to an Irish person?) had as you said 'predominantly British' players, they had a considerable Irish contingent, eg, Liverpool: Staunton, Aldridge, Houghton, Heighway, Lawrenson, Whelan, Beglin and Man U: McGrath, Moran, Stapleton, Grimes, Daly, Best, Whiteside, McIlroy.
    Nowadays they're more a global brand than an English football club.

Anyway, completely off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Anyone who thinks Murray will beat Federer doesn't watch tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JimmyFloyd wrote: »
    So when he started to become a contender, they started calling him British, his response was "I wasn't British enough for them to help me, so i was and always will be Scottish"

Nice

Jesus some people love to get a nice chip on their shoulder. Maybe they just didnt think he was any use?

I dont think they are obliged to spend money on everyone that rocks up looking for it.

What did Scotland do to nurture his talent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anyone who thinks Murray will beat Federer doesn't watch tennis.
    Some fools look to their head to head record which Murray is ahead in but Federer has won when it counts like at the US Open last year. Federer is an animal in slams. His concentration levels go through the roof (as could be seen against a very dangerous serve yesterday) and his standard of play rises to another level. He will beat Murray if he meets him in the final.

He'll beat Haas in straight sets tomorrow imo. He's in incredible form atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

K4t wrote: »
    Some fools look to their head to head record which Murray is ahead in but Federer has won when it counts like at the US Open last year. Federer is an animal in slams. His concentration levels go through the roof (as could be seen against a very dangerous serve yesterday) and his standard of play rises to another level. He will beat Murray if he meets him in the final.

He'll beat Haas in straight sets tomorrow imo. He's in incredible form atm.

That head to head means nothing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

they are fully entitled to big up their national achievements if they want to. stop watching and reading their media if it concerns you so much.

i have little or no interest in england/uk, the way people go on about that place is a bit perplexing really. let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

A Brit will win Wimbeldon soon, Laura Robson. She is good enough. There is a lot of rubbish written by the media about sport, all hype no substance, England dont have the winning mentality in sport, the Olympics are the worst, 4 in the morning, "WE GO LIVE TO A LAKE IN CHINA WHERE ROBERT LONGKNOB OF BRITAIN IS LYING 2nd IN YACTHING.... "AND THE GREEK HAS CRASHED ITS GOLD FOR LONGKNOB, GLORY FOR BRITAIN" you know the rest MBE, open top parade, sharing a joke with Sue Barker and Hilarious scouser John Parrot. No mention of knife crime or other social problems, to cap it all Sir Steve Redgrave presents yachtsman Robert Longknob with the BBC sports personality of the year at a glittering ceremony. The point is Brits dont win at any signficant sports. Thats why they give a toss about tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Really ? can you name the commentator /match / date ?
    i will try to explain ,if you play in british football in britain ,you are a british footballer,the same as if you played your football in france ,you are a french footballer, ..its not the place you are born, its the place you play.

Advertisement