Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So there I was thinking "I actually want this British tennis player to win"....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mike65 wrote: »
    I give up. :rolleyes:

I agree with you about the difference but I actually have heard him described as English and British in a same programme and others many times during his career while he was being successful.
    Its was either a case of complete stupidity on the part of the commentators and/or part attempts at jingoism.

Either way, it was (a) a bad reflection on the quality of the BBC in finding good presenters and (b) just plain bad presenters themselves being exposed for their crassness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

If the BRITISH broadcasting corporations' jingoism gets on people's tits, why the fuck don't they just switch to another channel?

Do the same people get upset at Irish patriotism on RTE sports coverage?

Or is it just another chance to moan about our neighbours?:rolleyes:

big b wrote: »
    If the BRITISH broadcasting corporations' jingoism gets on people's tits, why the fuck don't they just switch to another channel?

Do the same people get upset at Irish patriotism on RTE sports coverage?

Or is it just another chance to moan about our neighbours?:rolleyes:

A. Sometimes RTE can't afford the rights to some sports and/or don't cover it anyway

B. Probably a small few do, if only because they are not lucky enough to be Irish!

C. "No" in my case. This old fart is just presently moaning about uneducated twats showing themselves for what they are, live on air.
    That being crass fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Biggins wrote: »
    Sorry but he was. Clones being his town, it being in Northern Ireland

Last time I checked Clones was in Co. Monaghan, which is in The Republic of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! :D Says it all.

• Advertisement

markok84 wrote: »
    Last time I checked Clones was in Co. Monaghan, which is in The Republic of Ireland

Yep. Absolutely correct and my typing error.
    However the same commentators that said he was sometimes British (and actually English) made that error on air to the viewers thinking he was from Northern Ireland.

For example: NORTHERN Ireland Topic news!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/1121953.stm

http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/article.aspx?art_id=78

"Northern Ireland's former boxer Barry McGuigan..."
    See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northamptonshire/content/articles/2007/06/12/barry_mcguigan_mns_guest_test_feature.shtml

This one makes me laugh - NOTE THE "FAMOUS BRITONS" at the top.
    See: http://www.information-britain.co.uk/famousbrits.php?id=3183
    Barry McGuigan, known as the Clones Cyclone, is a former professional boxer born in the town of Clones in the Republic of Ireland, close to the border with Northern Ireland.
    ...must be close enough to make him British???

...and those are just four examples. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,032 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

On the subject of extreme-jingoismm has anyone brought up Ryle Nugent in the Heniken rugby final the year Munster won it...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    So? I don't follow Tennis

So you don't really know much about how annoying that is for any opponent of his.

How about you find out about the sport and then come back on this thread with factual information

Biggins, it should be remembered he fought in the Commonwealth games for Northren Ireland, so hardly a surprise if some thought he was from Norn Iron.

Biggins, it should be remembered he fought in the Commonwealth games for Northren Ireland, so hardly a surprise if some thought he was from Norn Iron.

I agree again but surely someone with a bit of kop on would tell the presenters that just because he played for Northern Ireland, it don't make him Northern Irish.

Pele played for many a country I heard but he was always "Brazilian". Becks played for an American team, in the USA but he was always "British".
    Someone should educate these fools before they speak live on air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Quazzie wrote: »
    I would. They are all British whether they like to believe it or not.

You can't actually be from Ireland and be British, even if you are the most devout Loyalist from the darkest hellhole of East Belfast.

A British person is from the Island that is Britain; an Irish person is from the Island that is Ireland. Ian Paisley is as Irish as you or me; Andy Murray is British.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

buckieburd wrote: »
    To their face or just over the internet? :P
    To their face. I've a few mates from Monaghan and I even call them Nordie Brits :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reminds me of formula one. Oh and jenson button is coming 17th, so what do think has gone wrong for jenson button? Welllll jenson buttonjenson buttonjenson button, jenson button? Who is winning? Nevermind jenson button just overtook the guy in 16th, jenson button jenson button, great driving, jenson button.

Anyone remember John Watson? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I would seriously hate to see a Brit winning Wimbledon and that's because of the attitude of the crowd and the commentators.

However, I definitely, seriously don't want Murray to win it, for the above reason as well as the fact that he's a complete prat. He may show that he wants to win on court, but anybody can do that by just playing well, rather than being unsportsmanlike about it.

And as for Dunblane - lots of kids were involved in that, but it doesn't give them the right to be prats later on.

Here's hoping Roddick or Hewitt can beat him in the semis. But I do fear that if he makes the final he could win it outright. Federer does seem to be a bit jinxed by him (though who knows, maybe it will be Haas who will make it to the final and beat Murray).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

well if that annoys ppl, then they can pi$s the Brits off by calling him and excellent European player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Reminds me of formula one. Oh and jenson button is coming 17th, so what do think has gone wrong for jenson button? Welllll jenson buttonjenson buttonjenson button, jenson button? Who is winning? Nevermind jenson button just overtook the guy in 16th, jenson button jenson button, great driving, jenson button.

remember when Eddie Irvine won his first GP they asked him what national anthem he wanted, and he replied "what the fúck do you think"

Thats an ambigious reply from Irvine.

Speaking of claiming others, where does Ireland stand on 50% of U2?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sounds very similar to the rté F1 coverage a few years back. "Schumacher is leading and the two Jordan cars are 16th and 19th."

"Let's check in on how Jarno Trulli is doing?"

"Let's see if we can get a quick word with Giancarlo Fisichella."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thats an ambigious reply from Irvine.

Speaking of claiming others, where does Ireland stand on 50% of U2?

Well on the neck would be good. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

quickbeam wrote: »
    Here's hoping Roddick or Hewitt can beat him in the semis. But I do fear that if he makes the final he could win it outright. Federer does seem to be a bit jinxed by him (though who knows, maybe it will be Haas who will make it to the final and beat Murray).
    Federer's on incredible form at the moment and he may have a poor head to head record against Murray, but Federer has won the matches that matter i.e. the slams.

Tbh I don't find Murray as obnoxious or annoying as a lot of others. I think ye're just a shower of begrudgers tbh. Ye probably were complaining about Henman for some ridiculous reason aswell. Murray is a really talented young player with a lot of desire. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

K4t wrote: »
    Federer's on incredible form at the moment and he may have a poor head to head record against Murray, but Federer has won the matches that matter i.e. the slams.

Tbh I don't find Murray as obnoxious or annoying as a lot of others. I think ye're just a shower of begrudgers tbh. Ye probably were complaining about Henman for some ridiculous reason aswell. Murray is a really talented young player with a lot of desire. Good luck to him.

I hate when people bring up this 'begrudger' argument for everything. Does anyone 'begrudge' Federer? If someone needs begrudging then surely it's one of the most successful players in history yet it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

May the best player win, wherever they are from.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

K4t wrote: »

Hope you're right.

Agree with dsmythy that it's not begrudgery as I'll not tire of Federer winning. Especially to get his record-breaking 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

swingking wrote: »
    It's actually Murray's stupid attitude on court that bugs the sh1t out of me. The fact he is always shouting "come on" after every point and how he always does that stupid fist pump.

Plain and simple, Murray winning Wimbledon is gonna happen when pigs fly

I created a thread pointing out exactly what your comment says...and it was locked !?!? Also he appeals everything i used to like him but now he's a bit of an egotistical moron !

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Does anyone remember those great "Irish" tennis heroes Matt Doyle and Seán Sorenson from the 1970's/80's ??

Not sure they ever made it to the green, green grass of SW19 though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Quint wrote: »
    What's the big deal about wanting someone British to win? Hundreds of thousands of Irish support British football teams week in week out.
    Primarily Liverpool; owned by Americans, managed by a Spaniard and with more Spanish players than English, and
    Man Utd; owned by Americans, managed by a Scot and with loads of nationalities playing for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

garbanzo wrote: »
    Does anyone remember those great "Irish" tennis heroes Matt Doyle and Seán Sorenson from the 1970's/80's ??

Not sure they ever made it to the green, green grass of SW19 though !
    As far as im aware, Matt Doyle made it to the 2nd round once or twice at wimbledon, a.nd a 4th round at the US Open. But that would have been early 80s, we havent had a player in a grand slam event since unfortunitely.

Something's wrong when Latvia can have players at Wimbledon and we can't

• Advertisement

Rooney, Carrick, Gerrard, Scholes, Fletcher, Carragher all have Irish ancestors

Advertisement