Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So there I was thinking "I actually want this British tennis player to win"....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

stevoman wrote: »
    Yes in fact. His name was Pat Cash, he was a traveller from Westmeath i think.

Cash is very popular in the travelling community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What's the big deal about wanting someone British to win? Hundreds of thousands of Irish support British football teams week in week out.

Quint wrote: »
    What's the big deal about wanting someone British to win? Hundreds of thousands of Irish support British football teams week in week out.

Ah well that's different because of .... well ... nothing really.

Try telling that to the die-hard morons that support said clubs tho. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

We are FAR worse, we went mad about our performance in the bloody Cricket World Cup and then pretended we actually cared about the sport, we've claimed Daniel-Day Lewis and Van Morrison as Irish, we can't win an Olympic medal above silver without cheating and treat silver as gold anyways and one of our most famous football results was a draw with england! If Murray wins, good for him I say, silly to mock them when Ireland has had zero tennis prospects in the last.. ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I used to hate Murray - then I found out that he was hidden under a desk at the Dunblane massacre and I feel sorry for him. Maybe I need to watch more BBC coverage to get my hatred back!

• Advertisement

We are FAR worse, we went mad about our performance in the bloody Cricket World Cup and then pretended we actually cared about the sport, we've claimed Daniel-Day Lewis and Van Morrison as Irish, we can't win an Olympic medal above silver without cheating and treat silver as gold anyways and one of our most famous football results was a draw with england! If Murray wins, good for him I say, silly to mock them when Ireland has had zero tennis prospects in the last.. ever?

Van Morrison is Irish. Day Lewis holds full Irish citizenship.

Agree with you on the olympic drug scandal tho. Shame on that horsey!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Van Morrison is Irish. Day Lewis holds full Irish citizenship.

Agree with you on the olympic drug scandal tho. Shame on that horsey!

He's from Belfast, therefore UK-ish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stop watching foreign TV if you don't want to hear about their sports peoples potential prospects in any competition.
    I can two headlines:

1. "British tennis player Murray wins Wimbledon final"

2. "Scottish tennis player Murray loses Wimbledon final"

The BBC are keeping up with their policy of only calling him a British player as you said:
    BBC News wrote:
    And the interest in the Scot's progress is such that fans began queuing for the 500 tickets Centre Court tickets available over two days in advance.
    Oh, hang on ... they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

It seems that Italia '90 has been long forgotten..

Give it a lash jack, give it a lash jack...

Slow motion images of Packie making his glorious save over and over and over again on network 2...

I can't quite remember the overly dramatic music they used to accompany those images.

http://timsrecipes.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/packie.jpg

Now just imagine we had won the WC!

Every nation blows their national trumpet, some just play it louder than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pazh__1Kuus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I say fair play to the guy....I'd like to see him personally win it, but conversely I'd hate to to see him win it because you know the brits won't shut up for a month afterwards...it's not even the triumphalism, it's the bloody smug, stuck u,p We Rule The Waves bullsh*t that comes with anything they win (or more often before anything they lose).

I like the guy's attitude on court; he's a fighter, he gets hot under the collar and shouts a bit or bloodies his fist...he looks like someone that really wants to win and I have toi respect that. Can he win? Possibly, he has more chance than Henman ever had (IMO), and like I said previously for his determination alone I'd ike to see him take it...it just means avoiding watching/listening/reading anything of a UK origin for a month or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is an Andy Murray thread in "a Ranting and a Raving" did this get split off from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Agree with Wertz, love Murray's attitude on court. He's a winner and strives to be a better player all round. Doesn't bother me what background, what country he lives or hails from, he's a top player in his sport and he entertains me with his talent and that's what I look for when I watch sport everyday and that's what should be discussed and not how the "British" rant and rave about him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Its hilarious, if England had a top tennis player the 'Wimbledon faithful' would probably be booing Murray!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Its hilarious, if England had a top tennis player the 'Wimbledon faithful' would probably be booing Murray!
    strange idea,but i may give you some joy, in the near future i honestly believe that ireland will have a world darts champ, and he will in the south of dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

swingking wrote: »
    It's actually Murray's stupid attitude on court that bugs the sh1t out of me. The fact he is always shouting "come on" after every point and how he always does that stupid fist pump.

Plain and simple, Murray winning Wimbledon is gonna happen when pigs fly

So? I don't follow Tennis but I know it's a sport for the "uppercrust" of society in Britain. Is that your problem? That after a long list of drones in the sport that show no emotion, one guy comes along and actually shows a bit of passion for his sport? **** tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

swingking wrote: »
    It's actually Murray's stupid attitude on court that bugs the sh1t out of me. The fact he is always shouting "come on" after every point and how he always does that stupid fist pump.

Id definitely agree with that. did you hear him last year during a match at wimbledon against gasquet? After chasing down a ball and hitting a good winner he proceeded to shout "Big forehand!". i just thought it was about as queer as you could be on a tennis court, or on tv for that matter.

And that is why i dislike him so much i think. Winning a point or a match isnt enough for him. He has to let everyone know how he did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

"I dislike Murray, he's a brit.
    Oh feck, seems he's Scottish & dislikes the English media more than I do.
    He motivates himself during matches. Yeah, that'll do. I dislike him for that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Tennis, tennis, tennis! what you people see in it I just don't know. A load of men hitting a little furry ball over and back over a net... the things you people think are fun, like going to see films, a load of men sitting around watching films, and shouting, a load of men going around shouting.... and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

JimmyFloyd wrote: »
    I think if he was any other nationality i'd want him to win.

But the Brits wont stop going on about it for decades to come if he does!

For **** sake he is SCOTTISH. This really annoys me, we constanly get refered to as Brits, but the majority of us DONT want to be British. You wouldnt call a republican Northey British so why brand Murray who clearly refers to himself as Scottish as a Brit?

/rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

buckieburd wrote: »
    For **** sake he is SCOTTISH. This really annoys me, we constanly get refered to as Brits, but the majority of us DONT want to be British. You wouldnt call a republican Northey British so why brand Murray who clearly refers to himself as Scottish as a Brit?

/rant over...
    I would. They are all British whether they like to believe it or not.

Fighting talk! dlofnep shall be along shortly, anyway the bad news is that Murray is looking like being a straight sets winner over some nobody called Ferrero

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Quazzie wrote: »
    I would. They are all British whether they like to believe it or not.

To their face or just over the internet? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

markok84 wrote: »
    Tennis, tennis, tennis! what you people see in it I just don't know. A load of men hitting a little furry ball over and back over a net... the things you people think are fun, like going to see films, a load of men sitting around watching films, and shouting, a load of men going around shouting.... and so forth.

Thats a great post:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mackman wrote: »
    Ive noticed this too, i once heard an English commentator talking about the great British soccer player, Roy Keane......:rolleyes:

Same thing about Barry McGuiggan, he was Irish when he was starting out, he was English when he won his titles and he was Irish again when he dropped out of active boxing.

Bunch of conveniently timed hypocrites are the British commentators.

He was never described as English Biggins. Get your terms right.

mike65 wrote: »
    He was never described as English Biggins. Get your terms right.

Sorry but he was. Clones being his town, it being in Northern Ireland - he was constantly described as British/English when it was to the liking of commentators across the water.
    It sicked my stomach to hear them speak of him one way when it suited them - then another way when they were done with him.

He was NEVER described as English FFS how many times does this need to be said?. English and British are not the same, they are not indivisible. He was described as British. He did take out citizenship so they weren't wrong in that respect :)

mike65 wrote: »
    ...English and British are not the same, they are not indivisible...

Tell that to the godschites at the BBC! They conveniently forget that fact when trying to drum up the jingoism. Sickening.

• Advertisement

I give up. :rolleyes:

Advertisement