Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i look for a summer job?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Do you live near any of these shops? They are looking for volunteers and its a very worthy cause. Dont bother filling out that online application form, as they havent replied to me yet. MIght just pop into the shop tomorrow and ask.

Actually, I used to walk by one of those shops every day on my way home from school (After it had closed...), I'll ring them up tomorrow and see if they'll have me.
    Thanks mardybumbum, might give me something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I don't know why people would even want to work for the summer. Summer is for relaxing

But some of you actually want to work for free?! I can't get my head around that at all. It defies logic. And I don't want to hear anyone raving on about making a difference to other people because in fairness now that's just bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

no, go on the dole....its guaranteed money.....go find a non existant job and enjoy having no money;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

JW91 wrote: »
    I don't know why people would even want to work for the summer. Summer is for relaxing
    College is quite expensive if you didn't already know!
    But some of you actually want to work for free?! I can't get my head around that at all. It defies logic. And I don't want to hear anyone raving on about making a difference to other people because in fairness now that's just bull****
    Oh dear. :rolleyes:
    marko91 wrote: »
    no, go on the dole....its guaranteed money.....go find a non existant job and enjoy having no money;)
    For the summer? LC students can't AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

K4t wrote: »

For the summer? LC students can't AFAIK.

Yeah, you have to be out of school/college for more than three months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Maybe you don't like to help others, but some of us do.
    I actually get a feeling of immense satisfaction from it tbh.

I'll agree, packing bags in supermarkets or something like that is god-awful if you're raising money for charity, but there are loads of other wats of helping the less fortunate!

Also: Looks epic on your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fad wrote: »
    Yeah, you have to be out of school/college for more than three months.
    I don't think you can claim it if you're in college either? I really need to find work, fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

K4t wrote: »
    I don't think you can claim it if you're in college either? I really need to find work, fast!

you cant. im in the same boat. if i dont find a job soon itl be too late before college to have any money saved
    i sent off two applications today, but i think i missed the post so they wont make it till monday now, hope i dnt miss out now on the work:eek: actually might go in in person 2mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

bythewoods wrote: »
    Actually, I used to walk by one of those shops every day on my way home from school (After it had closed...), I'll ring them up tomorrow and see if they'll have me.
    Thanks mardybumbum, might give me something to do.

No problem.
    I popped into my local one today. They had a big sign on the window "volunteers wanted".
    Walked in with a big smile on my face
    "How are ya, Im here to volunteer"

Turns out they have enough volunteers at the moment but she took my details and said she's try to sort me out with something.

Give it a shot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shockhorror27

There's a grinds school which is letting students place a sample of any notes they have from Leaving Certificate on their site so as to sell them or offer help to students preparing for the Leaving Cert next year (2010); it costs €10 to do but it could be a handy way to make money with material you already have and with no jobs around? The school is called the Sandymount Grinds School; its website is http://leavingcertenglish.weebly.com/ if you're interested.

Hope it helps

• Advertisement

There's a grinds school which is letting students place a sample of any notes they have from Leaving Certificate on their site so as to sell them or offer help to students preparing for the Leaving Cert next year (2010); it costs €10 to do but it could be a handy way to make money with material you already have and with no jobs around? The school is called the Sandymount Grinds School; its website is http://leavingcertenglish.weebly.com/ if you're interested.

Hope it helps

Careful now, some existing grind schools really dislike people selling their copyrighted material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shockhorror27

I think they mean notes you have made, rather than any notes you have gotten from other sources?

bythewoods wrote: »
    Maybe you don't like to help others, but some of us do.
    I actually get a feeling of immense satisfaction from it tbh.

I'll agree, packing bags in supermarkets or something like that is god-awful if you're raising money for charity, but there are loads of other wats of helping the less fortunate!

Also: Looks epic on your CV.

I don't know why your either bothering to lie about this. No one wants to work for free.
    Would you not get twice the amount of satisfaction from sitting around the house watching telly all day? I know I certainly would.

Also about the C.V. You could just make it up you know. Their hardly going to check it like.

I'll just say that I spent 5 years helping blind children with no legs or something along those lines and Bob's your auntie's husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't know why your either bothering to lie about this. No one wants to work for free.
    Would you not get twice the amount of satisfaction from sitting around the house watching telly all day? I know I certainly would.

Also about the C.V. You could just make it up you know. Their hardly going to check it like.

I'll just say that I spent 5 years helping blind children with no legs or something along those lines and Bob's your auntie's husband.

By what you've just written here, I'm presuming that you've never helped someone ever. Also I really dont see the sense of satisfaction in sitting around watching TV either.

And imagine if they did check, how fúcking funny would that be, if I was an employer and found out someone tried to pull that **** on me, I would go out of my fúcking way to make sure that person wouldnt get any job in what ever sector I'd be working in.

It's called a backbone, grow one......

I wouldn't say that I've never helped anyone ever. That would be going a bit over the top now in fairness but I'm certainly no mother Teresa.

If they did check I'd just deal with it.I'd probably just start laughing. The last thing you want to do is get upset over little things like that. If it happened I'd just get on with it and move on to the next thing.

As regards the comment about the lack of backbone? I'm the one who would have the guts to actually make up this fake information and take the risk that goes with it. If anything your the one who doesn't have the backbone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hope it helps

Worst way ever to make money. Its not consistant and you'll just end up spending it. I eBay stuff every once in a while but its terrible money for the effort.

People do work for free, but I agree its not ideal. I wouldn't do it. And before anyone jumps, I do work witjh First Aid etc. The only thing I get out of it is a CV and maybe some free concerts, but as for full time, for a summer? No. It actually costs money to do it, so you in effect loosing out more than if you didn't do it at all.

They can and do. I've sat on interview boards and its amazing how quick they can pull you up. Then your considered a liar and companies do share files and have lists of people who are known to chance there arm.

To be honest folks, work is rare and consistant work is even rarer. My job has gone from 4 days last year to maybe one or two this year. And I'm senior staff. There ain't much work out there, so as I always say, drop your standards be prepared for a penny-less summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

If you have nothing to do sure why not volunteer anyways. So I started last week for a few days a week at the local shop for money. Now my mam wants me to volunteer a day a week down at the local daycare centre for old people were she works. I might try it out sure. Better than sitting on my ass doing nothing but watching replays of harpers island over and over again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I wouldnt mind being arrested by charlie from home and away any day!:D

For any Home and Away fans out there there is a new lovely lady in Home and Away. I dont actually know her name but she is Angelo's new girlfriend. She is absolutley gorgeous. Second only to Nicole.

I rate the women in that show as follows

1. Nicole
    2. The New 1
    3. Belle
    4. Charlie
    5. Martha

My top 5 are:

1.Charlie
    2.Nicole
    3.Kirsty
    4.Martha
    5.Belle

• Advertisement

I respect your opinion JSK but i have to tell you you're wrong.

Nicole is the best looking bird on television.

And you clearly haven't seen that new 1 yet have you? She's unreal. She'd definitley feature in everyone's top 5.

How could you pick Kirsty? She's about 15 stone!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Last I checked summer jobs didn't have anything to do with Australian soaps? o_O

Back to jobs please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

I respect your opinion JSK but i have to tell you you're wrong.

Nicole is the best looking bird on television.

And you clearly haven't seen that new 1 yet have you? She's unreal. She'd definitley feature in everyone's top 5.

How could you pick Kirsty? She's about 15 stone!!!!
    Maybe he likes a woman that isnt afraid to have a mcdonalds once in a while.:P I've seen the new one. :D:D.
    Lads, martha? She looks like she has wrinkles because shes so skinny! The new one is my number one. Dont have a clue what her name is. Have you seen neighbours? Donna is da best! :)

and star-pants we are refering to austrailian soaps as these actresses have summer jobs, get it? So we are actually talking about summer jobs... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

What the...

And Nicole? She's so not that hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

For any Home and Away fans out there there is a new lovely lady in Home and Away. I dont actually know her name but she is Angelo's new girlfriend. She is absolutley gorgeous. Second only to Nicole.

I rate the women in that show as follows

1. Nicole
    2. The New 1
    3. Belle
    4. Charlie
    5. Martha
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    My top 5 are:

1.Charlie
    2.Nicole
    3.Kirsty
    4.Martha
    5.Belle

Lads, where are yis off to?
    Remember Tasha? /drools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Angelo, phwoar!

watched home&away for the first time ever yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

AMixedBag wrote: »
    and star-pants we are refering to austrailian soaps as these actresses have summer jobs, get it? So we are actually talking about summer jobs... :P

ha, yeah I got the link there...summer bay, summer jobs so forth :rolleyes:
    tbh most of em aren't that nice.

Summer jobs though, it's tough going. I was looking for work from last Sept and only got something 3weeks ago. No harm trying though

Lads, where are yis off to?
    Remember Tasha? /drools.

Yes tasha was a ride when she was starring in it. A beautiful smile. Last I remember of her was when she was drawn into the cult with moma rose.

AMixedBag wrote: »
    Maybe he likes a woman that isnt afraid to have a mcdonalds once in a while.:P I've seen the new one. :D:D.
    Lads, martha? She looks like she has wrinkles because shes so skinny! The new one is my number one. Dont have a clue what her name is. Have you seen neighbours? Donna is da best! :)

Kirsty does it for me anyway. I dont think she is fat. She is tall.

• Advertisement

Ruby is so desperate to have sex!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement