Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i look for a summer job?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

or should i bother....is it even worth it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

No harm in trying. Look and see if anyone's doing casual labour... My job last summer was pretty laid back, I just rang them after the LC and asked if I could do a few days a week down there. I don't get many hours but its 150 or so euro a week so it suits me grand.

Another word of advice: don't just hand out a CV, demand to speak to the manager. And bug the hell out of everyone until they either say no, we will NOT take you, or offer you the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Nah, I'd imagine it's a bit late. The time for looking was around Easter. But like the poster above saying, it's no harm trying. And if you do, be very determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

again, no harm in trying. Just don't end up working for one of those shady "marketing" comapnies

Sure try anyways. Make sure to ring them up to follow-up on the application too. I assume there's very little going but sure you never know.

Oh, but don't sign up for the Hanley Centre and annoy me on Grafton St. in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Well if that's your attitude now I don't see how anyone would want to hire you.

• Advertisement

Well done, you've gotten thread of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

My advice would be, don't bother. It's just not worth it. Working is so much hassle and I'd advise you to just spend your Summer sitting around watching Home and Away, Neighbours, Countdown etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

the work and jobs forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

JW91 wrote: »
    My advice would be, don't bother. It's just not worth it. Working is so much hassle and I'd advise you to just spend your Summer sitting around watching Home and Away, Neighbours, Countdown etc.

You watch Countdown and Neighbours??:confused:

OP, have you ever heard of volunteering? Why not take a day or two a week helping those in need?
    Although, my dad got me a job in the local shop so I couldn't voluteer even if I wanted to.:cool:

Yes of course I watch Countdown and Neighbours. What's wrong with that?

OP whatever you do, do not volunteer for any charity work! As far as I'm concerned work is a terrible inconvenience and the only thing that makes work even remotely bearable is that you know you are getting paid! If you're volunteering for work then you won't even have that thought to get you through the day.

I'm pretty sure charity work is the last thing in the world I would do

• Advertisement

Yes of course I watch Countdown and Neighbours. What's wrong with that?

OP whatever you do, do not volunteer for any charity work! As far as I'm concerned work is a terrible inconvenience and the only thing that makes work even remotely bearable is that you know you are getting paid! If you're volunteering for work then you won't even have that thought to get you through the day.

I'm pretty sure charity work is the last thing in the world I would do

Oh nothing... you are just the only person I've heard of that watches those.
    I was just giving an idea about volunteer work.
    Maybe the OP has a heart..:rolleyes:

Well I wouldn't watch Neighbours everyday but I watch Home and Away and Countdown every single day.

I originally started watching Home and Away because of all the hot women in it and now I'm completley addicted to it. I've always watched Countdown and I just started watching neighbours because it's on directly after Home and Away in the afternoon.

Now OP, imagine you could spend your days watching these quality shows or you could work for a charity for FREE! yes that's right WORK FOR FREE!

I certainly know what I'll be choosing

I'd rather work for a charity shop in downtown Bagdad than sit and watch rubbish Australian soap operas all day.

Well in fairness now they are only on for an hour. You're also clearly a girl (or a homosexual) if you don't appreciate some of the women on view in both shows. Some of them are absolutle quality. My personal favourites being Nicole and Belle from Home and Away and Elle from Neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

hmm.. you could sit on your backside watching tv wasting away your summer... or you could do something to benefit others and use your time productivly. dont take the attitude that you wont do something unless it benefits you.. its nice to be nice and all of that!

Well in fairness now they are only on for an hour. You're also clearly a girl (or a homosexual) if you don't appreciate some of the women on view in both shows. Some of them are absolutle quality. My personal favourites being Nicole and Belle from Home and Away and Elle from Neighbours
    Elle??? that journalist?
    (oh damn, I've been caught out!):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

hmm.. you could sit on your backside watching tv wasting away your summer... or you could do something to benefit others and use your time productivly. dont take the attitude that you wont do something unless it benefits you.. its nice to be nice and all of that!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice, a wise one once said to me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I agree that you should look for charity work if you can't find anything else - even just for one day a week - because, apart from making you feel all warm and gooey inside, you'll get a reference and it looks great on your CV. Have you ever had a job before? It'll be a lot harder for you to next one next summer if you've no experience at all. Maybe try a SVDP shop or something. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

Aye, it's all about experience, take anything...
    well, within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Do you know anyone who runs a business or do your parents know anyone? That'd probably be your best shot at getting a job. If not ask to speak to the manager when applying. Even before the recession lots of shops just ignored people who just went around handing in CVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

AMixedBag wrote: »
    Elle??? that journalist?
    (oh damn, I've been caught out!):cool:
    I've seen it once or twice when it was on and I was THAT bored, she IS quite hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Ya I'm going to do some voluntary work. I'm waiting to hear back from a potential job at the moment but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely do the voluntary work.

Ya Elle is the journalist. She is very hot in fairness.

But she isn't in the same league as Nicole from Home and Away. A seriously good looking bird

Ya Elle is the journalist. She is very hot in fairness.

But she isn't in the same league as Nicole from Home and Away. A seriously good looking bird

Nicole- I have no time for sh-l*ts.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

aoibhebree wrote: »
    I agree that you should look for charity work if you can't find anything else - even just for one day a week - because, apart from making you feel all warm and gooey inside, you'll get a reference and it looks great on your CV. Have you ever had a job before? It'll be a lot harder for you to next one next summer if you've no experience at all. Maybe try a SVDP shop or something. Good luck!

Definitely!! If you cant find paid work do SOMETHING anyway

Definitely!! If you cant find paid work do SOMETHING anyway

oi! That was my idea in the first place!! And now everyone is copying me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

phasers wrote: »
    again, no harm in trying. Just don't end up working for one of those shady "marketing" comapnies

What's a shady "marketing company"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Do you live near any of these shops? They are looking for volunteers and its a very worthy cause. Dont bother filling out that online application form, as they havent replied to me yet. MIght just pop into the shop tomorrow and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

charity work!

Not the faintest chance

i could find other things to do than sit on my arse and watch home and away, but charity work wont be one of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

kevogy wrote: »
    charity work!

Not the faintest chance

i could find other things to do than sit on my arse and watch home and away, but charity work wont be one of them
    Why not? At least you can leave work in the evening knowing you've helped someone less fortunate than yourself. And you are gaining work experience doing something really good for society which will look excellent on a cv (unless you're going for a job in a bank or something :pac:)
    I'll definitely be volunteering if I don't hear back from a job interview soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement