Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play a musical instrument?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Went to piano lessons for years. Then, like everything else I've ever done, I quit. My parents sold my piano. Have a keyboard at home though, and every so often, I teach myself songs from YouTube. Most recently was Airplanes and also some Justin Bieber. :o

I always wanted to learn how to play the harp. Weird, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I can play parts of guitar. I've meant to start lessons this year but forgot. Memo to self: Find out about lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Been playing the piano for a good 13 years now. You'd think this would make me anyway good, but I'm still pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I play the piano and the accordion. Mostly the accordion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I started taking violin lessons when I was in primary school, once every Friday. I was fairly awful to begin with and my parents were probably rapidly reconsidering having suggested it as a hobby, but I stuck with it and eventually made it as far as grade 7. I joined a Cork youth orchestra for a few years which was great fun, lots of fond memories there.

I didn't really have time for lessons while I was doing the Leaving Cert so I never tried the final grade. I'd like to complete it at some stage, but I've let myself become too rusty over the past few years. I rosin up my bow whenever the mood strikes me, though, and it's probably still my favourite instrument.

More recently I've tried learning the guitar. I started just before Christmas last year, strumming away on my brother's ancient, excruciatingly painful Hohner acoustic while following the tutorials on justinguitar.com. Very helpful, friendly website, that! It encouraged me to continue, so I bought a cheap Yamaha electric and I've been practising on it since. I suck in the extreme, but I love playing it! Fingerpicking is tons of fun.

I also play the drums a teensy weensy bit. My friend Declan has been keeping a drum-kit at his house for the past year now (a relative of his had no room for it), so I've used every sort of opportunity to meet up with him for jamming sessions. My experiences with playing the drums in Rock Band actually translated surprisingly well, but I still choke horribly whenever I try something more complicated than battering on the snare and hi-hat like it's a game of Whack-a-Mole. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I play piano. Well no, that's a bit of a euphemism, I butcher the piano's soul.

I've played guitar for oh, 7 to 8 years. I've gone through many musical phases along with my guitar. (:

It's had everything from Green Day to Miles Davis played on it.
    All joking aside, a knock on effect of playing the guitar is you do usually come across as more attractive to the opposite sex..

I wish this were universally true, but it only seems to make people more attractive when they were attractive to begin with, I've discovered.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've completely neglected my guitar-playing over the past year :(

Advertisement