Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play a musical instrument?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

I started playing the drums about 6/7 months ago. Progress is slow but steady. I finally nailed Limelight by Rush for the first time the other day. Damn you Neil Peart! ;)

So how about you guys? Maybe we can get a band going :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've been playing the piano since i was 5...wanna learn the guitar tho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Been playing guitar for about 5/6 years. Always wanted to play it when i was smaller but could never got the hang of it. Picked it back up when i was like 11/12 and things finally made sense. Love tabbing out songs and making my own ones great feeling it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Play guitar halfarsedly, none of my friends share my taste in music and playing by myself gets really boring. I'd really love to take up piano or violin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Play guitar badly, love noodling with pedals and that's about it!

The DD-6 is possibly the greatest invention ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭383Ger

Piano, guitar, bass, sax:cool:...when's the session???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fad wrote: »
    Play guitar badly, love noodling with pedals and that's about it!

The DD-6 is possibly the greatest invention ever.

Easily amused by dely and echo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can play the opening notes of the eastenders theme tune on the recorder

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've been known to play my flute now and again...:pac:

Joking aside, I did actually learn the tin whistle when I was in like, 5th class...can I remember it? No. :D

I'd love to learn to play something(ideally, drums), but i'd probably forget how to play it the next week (my memory sucks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im pretty good with a flute I have.....

I'm sorry.That was just terrible

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT CHALLENGE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I played the fiddle from the age of 6 to about 14 but I had absolutely no interest in trad music at all,hated it. I think it really helped me develope a sense of rhythm early though so I'm glad I learnt to play an instrument,I just wish it could've been something more useful (for me).

I got a bass last October and I love it,play it every day. I started off with easy punk stuff but I've started listening to and playing more genres,thrash,death,prog etc.
    I finally nailed Limelight by Rush for the first time the other day. Damn you Neil Peart! ;)

BEST SONG EVER! First Rush tune I learnt to play all the way through on bass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I've okayed the fiddle since fourth class, but gave up lessons after christmas because of the big LC, and never regretted it. I grew to intensely dislike my teacher who never treated me differently since I first started as a wee little ten year old. :mad: I also play guitar a bit, I can play piano, I played it til fourth class, and I got recorder lessons til around third class I think... I got a synthesizer for Christmas too! That was the best present ever! I don't play it enough though... My brothers have a drum kit, which I woefully play, but makin noise is fun!

And this thread has inspired me to learn a new song. I'm gonna go for some pink floyd I think.... :eek: YAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I got a bass guitar a few years ago, but I'm too lazy to teach myself and too stubborn to get lessons so I can only play a few songs. I keep telling myself I'm gonna learn it eventually.

Also used play tin whistle and button accordion before it dawned on me that I didn't paricularly like traditional music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I don't really play an instrument. However, I can play the guitar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Guitar player here, as I'm sure I've mentioned once or twice before...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I've been known to play my flute now and again...:pac:
    That's a bit like saying Mike65 and Victor post on Boards "now and again"! :p:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a bit like saying Mike65 and Victor post on Boards "now and again"! :p:D

Those guys are Irish internet heroes.

*salutes*

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Yep! Love playing music, wouldn't be life without it to be honest. Play a few nights a week usuallly, at gigs, sessions, practices etc.
    I play banjo, mandolin, tin whistle, low whistle and I'm learning whistle! Go on the trad!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

I was forced to learn tin whistle in primary school *shudders*.

Then i picked up the guitar almost 4 years ago, and I got a keyboard for christmas this year but haven't had time to take lessons yet.:o

Oh, and I have a couple of harmonicas in my room that i'd like to learn how to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Well I play the guitar A LOT. Have about seven lying around the house. Also tinkle around on the piano but I kinda suck at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Completely forgot, I also play the ukelele

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I think I can safely assume I am the only trombone player here.:D

I don't have any grades in it but I have been playing for around 8 years, and I'm in a reasonably successful brass band. Last year our trombone section won Best Brass Section in a competition in west Cork. I was playing first trombone too so I got to go up and accept the prize.

Anyone else here in a brass band, and willing to admit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Bass, I love messing with my effects :) I dabble in guitar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

The recorder!Hah!:D

Still have to suffer it through because of music class at school. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I play the jug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Also tinkle around on the piano but I kinda suck at it.

Well of course you won't be any good at it if the keys are wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm extremely talented.

Not only can I play the entire Rugrats theme tune on the Piano, but I've also got that "Every breath you taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake" song DOWN on the recorder.
    BCBAG----
    BCBAG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It sucks that the recorder has such a bad reputation.

Been playing 12 years, have my Senior Cert in it.

It really is a beautiful instrument when played properly, though most people seem to regard it as a toy, and have no idea that it's an extremely old instrument, that there are several different types and that there is a large amount of material written specifically for it.

Also been playing guitar for 8 years. I'm too lazy to learn anything anymore though, so I just improvise. Gotten pretty good at it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Well of course you won't be any good at it if the keys are wet.

I knew someone would bring that up. It had to be you. :mad:
    bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm extremely talented.

Not only can I play the entire Rugrats theme tune on the Piano, but I've also got that "Every breath you taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake" song DOWN on the recorder.
    BCBAG----
    BCBAG

Im no pedant, but that last G should be a B. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Piano! since I was about 10

Why are all the music sheet books so expensive!:mad:

Advertisement