Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Quorn products

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just hit and miss to find, not taste-wise is it?

I think it's people like you filling their trolleys. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

Making sausage rolls with linda mccartney sausages and puff pastry defo nice than the quorn ones. Remember used to be able to get LMcC range of sun dried tomato sausages...now THEY were yum!!! Why cant we get them any more over here I wonder.....also quorn used to do range of chicken nuggets - tasty little buggers, but dont get them at all any more either :-( Sound like a fast food addict here, but they're just handy to have around as snacky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Me and my OH love quorn, I defo am guilty of filling the trolley when i find stuff! Dont understand why people find it weird to eat fake meat, even my dog loves the rashers!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Making sausage rolls with linda mccartney sausages and puff pastry defo nice than the quorn ones. Remember used to be able to get LMcC range of sun dried tomato sausages...now THEY were yum!!! Why cant we get them any more over here I wonder.....also quorn used to do range of chicken nuggets - tasty little buggers, but dont get them at all any more either :-( Sound like a fast food addict here, but they're just handy to have around as snacky stuff.

ooo that's good to know! I really wanna try this now! I will have to get some puff pastry :) delish!

I never had the sun dried tomato sausages!! Everyone I know raves about them! and I also used to love those nuggets. They have new ones now that are covered in batter instead of bread crumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah I haven't seen the chicken dippers in ages. I loved them, anyone here seen them lately??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Actually does anyone know what to do with those tofu cutlets, they sell dry in the polish section of Tesco?

I assume they have to be rehyrated somehow?

Do you mean this one?

2la5ule.jpg

There are different views in the way you are supposed to cook dried soya, I personally found that simply boiling it you end up with some tasteless-sponge-like chunks.
    I use the following method:

Fry in a pan some chopped onion, your favorite spices (bay leaf,parsley,paprika,italian herbs) and a vegetable stock cube. While it's cooking add the soya and keep mixing: at this stage the soya will absorb your tasty mixture.
    You will notice that the pan gets dry: add a glass of white wine and let it evaporate. The wine absorbed by the cutlets will evaporate leaving a nice flavour to your dish; when the pan is dry again add hot water and let the soya absorb it: repeat until the soya is soft enough to be eaten.
    At this stage you will have some nice cutlets that can be mixed with your favorite sauce or pan fried with butter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try the LMcC sausage rolls as well, oh god I love them. Wa sonly 1.65 for 6 when I lived in galway, yumyum.
    Linguo wrote: »
    Me and my OH love quorn, I defo am guilty of filling the trolley when i find stuff! Dont understand why people find it weird to eat fake meat, even my dog loves the rashers!
    I just bought 20e of the stuff, when I see it I get all puppy dog eyed, 'please can I buy it?' :D

Sounds lovely darconio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just hit and miss to find, not taste-wise is it?

I think it's people like you filling their trolleys. :p

It was 7.21am when I wrote that post and even though I edited that like 3 times I still wasn't awake enough to get it to say what I wanted clearly :P
    Tescos etc would have lots of it for a while and then just have none for a few weeks. I sometimes need to check 2-3 places when I'm after a fix.

I'm personally loving all the new quorn stuff (though there's some I haven't tried yet). The only thing I would mention though that might put some people off is the smell of cooking some of it is pretty realistic. I know myself that after I had given up meat I grew to hate the smell of bacon being cooked so it was a weird feeling throwing the rashers on the pan. Its great stuff overall though and has made cooking when I'm too tired or anything to make up something proper really handy.

Your a legend Darconio!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

Trouble wrote: »
    For anyone in Limerick: You can get Linda MC Sausage rolls, veggie rashers and the sandwich slices in the health food shop in the Crescent SC. You can also get this :http://www.beanieshealthfoods.co.uk/polony.php
    Great, thank you :pac::pac::pac:! I live in Ennis & thought I'd have to remain deprived unless I hit Dublin. I have tasted the quorn peppered steak. Calling it steak is a bit of a stretch but it is tasty. I normally don't like da beef stuff, blah aftertaste etc but this is ok. Incidently I hate onions too.
    My mam somehow finds the "fancy" stuff in tesco here. I never can but she has said its not in the normal vegie section. Its somewhere near yoghurts but beats me everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Weird, in Cork I find I can always get chicken dippers, but not chicken pieces. I'm hooked on the sausage rolls, lovely cold from the fridge the next day! Also big fan of their deli meats, in the UK you can get turkey and stuffing, it's SAVAGE! Ate 4 packs for lunch one day *shame* Heading to live in England soon so imagine I'll soon get sick of it though :)

taram wrote: »
    Weird, in Cork I find I can always get chicken dippers, but not chicken pieces. I'm hooked on the sausage rolls, lovely cold from the fridge the next day! Also big fan of their deli meats, in the UK you can get turkey and stuffing, it's SAVAGE! Ate 4 packs for lunch one day *shame* Heading to live in England soon so imagine I'll soon get sick of it though :)

Oh another cork person: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055634330

hehe.

I must be shown all the fake meaty food shops in cork by yee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i got sausage rolls in tesco last night! cant wait to try them!
    also got chicken style burgers! never saw them before! interesting!
    saw the lamb cutlets, cudnt do it :( lol

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Nyom nyom nyom

just used the last of my swedish meatballs for din-dins last night....cooked them in honey and balsamic vinegar and they were yummers!!

My THREE local supermarkets have a crap crap crap selection so doubt I will ever see the meatballs, sausage rolls, dippers or pies again....sniff :( And they were all so tastey!

Where abouts in the shops do you find the meat slices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

maameeo wrote: »
    also got chicken style burgers! never saw them before! interesting!
    They're really nice but very easy to overcook, lovely with baked beans and a few streamed spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    They're really nice but very easy to overcook, lovely with baked beans and a few streamed spuds.

oh dont say that! im a terrible cook! im bound to burn them to a crisp now! lol

Low heat is your friend, hard to burn things with that I find. Better than cooking em faster and burning it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

tried their ham style sammich slices last night, didn't taste like ham, but definitely tasted like more :D

new fave sammich - butter the "ham" side slice of bread with mustard and the cheese side with mayo add cherry tomatoes in the middle = NYOM! a nice nutty brown bread is best I find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

My local tesco doesn't stock the chicken style pieces or mince anymore. The tesco mince they have now isn't that great, it has a fairly strong taste, it's alright in lasagnas but it's not great for bolognese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Hi!

I've lurked for ages (years!) reading all your wonderful advice here, but I've actually registered so you can help me with this problem...

None of my local supermarkets (Tesco Lucan and Jervis Centre, Superquinn Lucan) stock a decent range of Quorn or any other brand of veggie foods. I'm SO jealous reading about all these lovely Quorn foods available in Ireland - I thought it was just England!

Anyone know of any shops in the general area of Lucan (willing to travel a bit!), or in Dublin City Centre, stocking a good range of Quorn?

These are the products I can get locally, so anything more than this would be great! (particularly the lunch meats - I REALLY want to try those):

"beef" burgers
    chicken style fillets
    mince
    chicken style pieces
    sausages
    bacon style rashers

(The actual availability of these would be very patchy - particularly the rashers)

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hey welcome aboards, I'm sure some people will be on to help you, I'm just here to say welcome to the lurker as I'm not from dublin! And am no help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Sally Lockhart? Fan of Philip Pullman too? :D

OH! ok, head to Nourish :) You are looking for the slices that Redwood do
    Cheatin%20Beef.jpgCheatin%20Chicken.jpgCheatin%20Ham.jpgCheatin%20Pepperoni.jpg (see: http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/cb260/myshop.php?catparid=164&merchant=cb260) :) Go to the Wicklow Street Nourish store as they have more freezer and fridge space than the other Nourish stores. Plenty there! Or any of The Health Store shops. They have a good range, but they do up the price. List of shops:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58284595&postcount=3
    I was recently in Scotland and Holland and Barrett had they had big 'turkey' and 'beef' roasts by Redwood. I was gonna bring one home with me but didn't in the end :( I think I'll just beg my local store to get it in.

Do introduce yourself in the 'Know Your Vegetarians' thread, and don't be scared of us that seem to know eachother. It's fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

These are the products I can get locally, so anything more than this would be great! (particularly the lunch meats - I REALLY want to try those):

"beef" burgers
    chicken style fillets
    mince
    chicken style pieces
    sausages
    bacon style rashers

If you can get to Tesco Durdrum they have a good stock of those and The Heath Store in the same shopping centre has a great range of frozen veggie stuff too including good 'rashers' . I find Quorn rashers greasy and rubbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Got satay skewers and a chicken and mushroom pie thing in Tesco in Wilton today. Can't wait to try them!

Just ate fajita pieces with lots of salsa and veg in a wrap nom nom nom <3

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Thanks Taram. I'll try them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Great contribution, sweet rasmus!!!

Hey welcome aboards, I'm sure some people will be on to help you, I'm just here to say welcome to the lurker as I'm not from dublin! And am no help. :)

Thank you for the welcome... I really have lurked for far too long - long enough to know you are actually male, despite all indications to the contrary!
    Sally Lockhart? Fan of Philip Pullman too? :D

OH! ok, head to Nourish :) You are looking for the slices that Redwood do
    Cheatin%20Beef.jpgCheatin%20Chicken.jpgCheatin%20Ham.jpgCheatin%20Pepperoni.jpg (see: http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/cb260/myshop.php?catparid=164&merchant=cb260) :) Go to the Wicklow Street Nourish store as they have more freezer and fridge space than the other Nourish stores. Plenty there! Or any of The Health Store shops. They have a good range, but they do up the price. List of shops:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58284595&postcount=3
    I was recently in Scotland and Holland and Barrett had they had big 'turkey' and 'beef' roasts by Redwood. I was gonna bring one home with me but didn't in the end :( I think I'll just beg my local store to get it in.

Do introduce yourself in the 'Know Your Vegetarians' thread, and don't be scared of us that seem to know eachother. It's fun! :)

That's great info - thanks sweet-rasmus! (I am indeed a huge Philip Pullman fan)

I went to Nourish on Wicklow St yesterday and got some of the Redwood sliced "meat" products - it's great to finally try this stuff out.

They had some great frozen stuff too - sausage rolls and lots of different ready meals. I'll pop in again during the week to pick some of those up too.
    Slaphead07 wrote: »
    If you can get to Tesco Durdrum they have a good stock of those and The Heath Store in the same shopping centre has a great range of frozen veggie stuff too including good 'rashers' . I find Quorn rashers greasy and rubbery.

I'll try make a trip over that way next weekend so! Thanks
    bedlam wrote: »
    Check out Eurospar, I know a couple I've popped into around the plac have at least 3 products in stock, Sausages, Garlic and Herb Fillets, and the basic burgers (the latter I've noticed have changed from a 4 to a 2 pack with no price diff).

You could always ask your local Tesco if they could stock quorn products, if you don't ask they won't know people want them.

I'll have a look in Eurospar during the week too. Thanks for the info. I have asked in both Tesco and Superquinn in Lucan if they could stock a bigger range but they both said there wasn't enough demand. I have actually hounded Superquinn management many times about it as I know some of them well enough. :P No luck though - even though I told them I spend a fortune in M&S that I would spend there instead if they would get some good veggie stuff in!

I'll be going to college in Maynooth in September - anyone know if Tesco there stock any interesting products?

Thanks again for all the help - my family will be delighted if I stop moaning about missing out on all these cool products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Thank you for the welcome... I really have lurked for far too long - long enough to know you are actually male, despite all indications to the contrary!
    Ahahahahahaaa! Good one ;)

Glad you found some delights to try. If you think they are fun... you have to try the Celebration Roast for the laugh one day. It's quite the fake meat masterpiece; fake sausages wrapped in fake bacon and turkey slices you cook in the oven. It's madness!
    celebration_roast.jpg

And great boards name :) After reading those books I imagined how delightful it would be to switch my surname for it. But here on boards is the perfect opportunity to use it! *Envious*

What, I'm a lady! Well I never, cheek of you! :D

I love philip pullman too, his dark materials is one of my fav books.

WIll be moving up to dublin soon so will ahve to learn all these shops too, for my fakemeatyneeds.

Only going to maynooth eh, sounded older, probably the name!

:mad:
    Glad you found some delights to try. If you think they are fun... you have to try the Celebration Roast for the laugh one day. It's quite the fake meat masterpiece; fake sausages wrapped in fake bacon and turkey slices you cook in the oven. It's madness!
    celebration_roast.jpg

I want more of them...

• Advertisement

celebration_roast.jpg

And great boards name :) After reading those books I imagined how delightful it would be to switch my surname for it. But here on boards is the perfect opportunity to use it! *Envious*

Wow - I'll definitely have to look that up in time for Christmas!

Sally's my favourite literary character - was sure it would be taken though, my other choice (Lyra) was!
    What, I'm a lady! Well I never, cheek of you! :D

I love philip pullman too, his dark materials is one of my fav books.

WIll be moving up to dublin soon so will ahve to learn all these shops too, for my fakemeatyneeds.

Only going to maynooth eh, sounded older, probably the name!

Is it possible to sound older in a post?! Not another type of aging I have to worry about, lol!

You're age-detector is clearly working though - I'm 26, going back for a post grad.

Advertisement