Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

For al lthe info about how to make that thing wireless networkable (is this even close to English...?)

http://wdtvforum.com/main/

Also the source for the latest firmware (official and modified ones) and special request WD might consider implementing in later firmware versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

basquille wrote:
    Recording's not possible. You can "throw" your BD's onto it as an ISO and it'll play them. Only external HDD's AFAIK - unless you got an enclosure etc.

So I create an iso of my BD, drop it onto the external HDD, connect via USB, and play through this yoke?

Not too up on these type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Soarer wrote: »
    So I create an iso of my BD, drop it onto the external HDD, connect via USB, and play through this yoke?
    Yep.. that's exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey guys,

<SNIP>

Cheers,
    M

MOD EDIT: You've been here long enough madmoe to realise requesting links to copyrighted content is a no-no sitewide on Boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    <SNIP>

Cheers,
    M

Down with this sort of thing!

Buy them.

• Advertisement

Soz......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Will this play DivX?

Will this play DivX?
    Yes.. and more!
    Music - MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA
    Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
    Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)
    That's like asking "can I play Solitare on this high-spec PC?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Nice little device. Was thinking of buying one but i'm going to hold out a couple of weeks and see how these new devices turn out:

http://xtreamer.net/
    http://www.playonhd.com/info.php

+ internal HD support
    + lan port
    + Nas functionality
    + Streaming web services like YouTube
    + 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Has anybody tried to use this with just the Composite A/V cable? getting mixed reviews on how good this is without HDMI. Have a 1TB external hard drive and 32 inch tv so this would seem to suit my needs very well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks, i'd just like to say that this piece of kit is the dogs bollix!

I have it about 6 months or so now and combined with a WD passport drive I have watched tonnes of videos of varying formats without the player once not being able too.

For the price I really don't think you'll get better out there, espcially as its proven itself in the market and has continuing official and unofficial firmware updates.

/EDIT Krusty, I only use A/V cables as the TV I have it connected too doesn't have HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Have to agree with other posters here - this is a great device - for the price

I had one, but also have a far more expensive Dvico Tvix 6500 - the quality was the same from both - but the WD struggled to play certain 1080p files
    - quite a lot of them

Also lacked a lot of features on the Tvix - but again for the money its a great buy - very quiet too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Just ordered one from Komplett, have been hmming and hawing about buying this little gadget for a while now, but the reports on here (and the Komplett alert) finally swayed me. Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to use this with just the Composite A/V cable? getting mixed reviews on how good this is without HDMI. Have a 1TB external hard drive and 32 inch tv so this would seem to suit my needs very well

Composite cables into a SD TV works fine. The menu text is a little blurry but that is to be expected with SD resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Thanks for the info folks. Think ye have convinced me to invest in one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

basquille wrote: »

Cheers for this, must just save 100e now, definitely seems worth the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JayKay

Just a heads up. I bought one of these today. I selected the Delivery to Ireland option and yet they still contacted me less than an hour later with an additional charge of 5.23 GBP for "underpayment for delivery to Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 29 askitnice

now 73.25 on komplett.. ah ex vat.... have an account soz

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=408560

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

no it isnt. check your link :rolleyes:

askitnice wrote: »
    now 73.25 on komplett..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=408560

cheers
    Still showing as €89 for me.

• Advertisement

€89 for me too.

Mine just arrived this minute! Filling the 1TB Elements with movies right now. Can't wait to FINALLY have all my movies, MP3's and TV shows in the one place!!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So this definitely can't play h264's? Is there a similar product that can?

cormie wrote: »
    Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, but can I play Solitaire on it? ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So, if you buy a wireless device for it, what does that do for you? Does it mean you can access files on other computers wirelessly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, but can I play Solitaire on it? ;)

Yes.
    If you have tiny pack of these and very good eyes:
    jumbo_playing_cards.jpg

The player is surprisingly tiny.

Zascar wrote: »
    So, if you buy a wireless device for it, what does that do for you?

Does it mean you can access files on other computers wirelessly?
    Yep, you'll have access to your files on other PC's wirelessly.. or more useful to me, you can transfer files to it wirelessly via FTP (etc).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh Cool, so I can attach a hard drive to it, and then access the files on the hard drive from the WD TV and other computers too?

Zascar wrote: »
    Oh Cool, so I can attach a hard drive to it, and then access the files on the hard drive from the WD TV and other computers too?
    Yep.. bear in mind, it doesn't have a network connection out of the box.

You'll need to flash it with custom firmware and buy one of the supported USB - Ethernet or USB dongles to enable this network sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie wrote: »

Aha, I was reading the posts on the first page about it not playing h264's, but it turned out to be the other one linked to on ebay!

I've a WD 500GB passport elite, so I just plug that straight into this thing and it will read what's on the passport? All I need is one plug socket and this will power the passport if I understand correctly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement