Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Get a voucher from here and buy it here!

Some great reviews here and here!

Be quick.. voucher's only valid until tomorrow!

b176265.jpg
    Buy from Expansys.com
    Combined with a My Passport portable drive)or other USB storage device(sold separately), this player is the most convenient way to play HD movies or user-generated videos, listen to high-quality digital music and show high-resolution slideshows of your family photos on your TV. Also works with popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices.

Designed for My Passport, works with many other USB storage devices - Play content from most popular USB drives,and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices.

Full HD video playback and navigation - up to 1080p - Experience the spectacular picture quality of HD video and crystal clear sound clarity of digital audio. Use the included remote control to navigate through your entertainment choices using our crisp, animated HD menus.

Collect without limits - There's no limit to the size of your media collection; just add more USB drives for more space.

Advanced navigation
    Thumbnail and list views – Browse your content by filename or by thumbnails of photos, album covers and movie cover art.
    Media Library – This unique feature lets you view all your media by media type in one menu regardless of its location in folders or drives. You can view your content by categories such as genre, album, artist and date.
    Search – Search by genre, title, artist, filename and partial filename.

Photo viewing
    Create custom slide shows with a variety of transitions and background music
    Zoom and pan
    Search by filename, partial filename, most recently viewed and date

Movie viewing
    Fast forward, rewind, pause, zoom, and pan
    View subtitles

Music playback
    Fast forward, rewind, pause, shuffle, repeat
    Access two USB drives simultaneously - Two USB ports on the player let you connect two USB storage devices and access them simultaneously. Our Media Library feature aggregates the content on both drives into one list sorted by media type.
    HDMI and composite video connections - The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port lets you connect to the highest quality HDTV or home theater. Additional composite (RCA) outputs ensure compatibility with virtually all television sets.
    Includes free media conversion software - ArcSoft MediaConverter™ 2.5 -- a fast, easy-to-use application that converts photo, video, and music files into formats optimized for use on the WD TV HD Media Player.
    Ultra-compact design - Fits easily into your entertainment center.
    Ideal For
    Hassle-free playback of HD movies, home videos, digital music, and photos on your TV.

System Requirements
    My Passport portable hard drive or other USB storage device with supported video or audio content stored on it.
    Standard or high definition television with HDMI or composite video connections

Package Contents
    HD Media Player
    Stand for My Passport portable drive
    Compact remote with batteries
    Media converter software (Windows only)
    Composite AV cable
    AC adapter
    Quick Install Guide

File Formats Supported
    Music - MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA
    Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
    Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)
    Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
    Subtitle -SRT (UTF-8)
    • External Drive Formats Supported
    FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ (no journaling)
    • Performance Specifications
    Serial Transfer Rate
    USB 2.0 Serial Bus Transfer Rate (USB 2.0) 480 Mbits/s (Max)
    • Physical Specifications
    Capacity N/A
    Interface HDMI, Composite A/V, USB 2.0
    • Physical Dimensions
    English
    Height 1.57 Inches (Max)
    Length 3.94 Inches (Max)
    Width 4.94 Inches (Max)
    Weight 0.67 Pounds
    Metric
    Height 40 mm (Max)
    Length 100 mm (Max)
    Width 125.5 mm (Max)
    Weight 303 g

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thanks.... but got 1 already :D

I can however say it is a great little device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Savage piece of kit that!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Hi can anyone recommend the best hard drive to use with this media player. Also, do you just plug the hard drive into this media player(sorry, I'm not vg with electricals). Tks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

rco2000 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone recommend the best hard drive to use with this media player. Also, do you just plug the hard drive into this media player(sorry, I'm not vg with electricals). Tks:)

One of these would be best

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354973

It can be got cheaper elsewhere though, it is USB powered, so you just plug it in to the WD box and away you go

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

tks a mil!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just ordered mine last week with Komplett and a 1TB WD Elements for the grand total of €184.50. Should I format the Elements 1TB drive with NTFS or leave it as it is?

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

madmoe wrote: »
    Should I format the Elements 1TB drive with NTFS or leave it as it is?

I think FAT32 has limit on file sizes. (4GB?) Any file bigger than this might have problems.

If you search for media drives on ebay you can get a 1TB "Cyclone HD" off a group called Envizagefor less than €200 delivered. I've got one and it doesn't give me any hassle (though it takes a few hours to get to know the ins and outs of it).

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Cyclone-1TB-HDMI-LAN-Hard-Drive-Media-Player-Recorder_W0QQitemZ250440625113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item3a4f6cabd9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1301|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Seems to be much better value. Don't know about all the specs regarding them and what makes one media drive better than another, but it seems better to me price-wise and I can't imagine there'd be much in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

So NTFS is the way to go I think...I have a number of HD movies ready to watch on this and I am pretty sure they are bigger than 4 Gigs.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

If you search for media drives on ebay you can get a 1TB "Cyclone HD" off a group called Envizagefor less than €200 delivered. I've got one and it doesn't give me any hassle (though it takes a few hours to get to know the ins and outs of it).

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Cyclone-1TB-HDMI-LAN-Hard-Drive-Media-Player-Recorder_W0QQitemZ250440625113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item3a4f6cabd9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1301|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Seems to be much better value. Don't know about all the specs regarding them and what makes one media drive better than another, but it seems better to me price-wise and I can't imagine there'd be much in the difference.

Does that hard drive play MKV files do you know? I couldnt find any mention of it in the specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Doesnt seem to play any mkvs and only plays resolutions up to 1080i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Doesnt seem to play any mkvs and only plays resolutions up to 1080i

Think it generally plays MKVs but not H.264 streams in an MKV. The reviews say it does 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I've put through an order for this.. received order confirmation, paid through paypal totalling £82.52.

There was a note on the traking order saying more info was required to complete the order. Emailed them to find out what was required. Received an automated paypal email looking for another £5.23.

Anyone else get this? I've emailed them again to find out why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Sounds like the difference between Irish and British VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mise wrote: »
    Anyone else get this? I've emailed them again to find out why this is.
    Yep.. got it too..
    Onikage wrote: »
    Sounds like the difference between Irish and British VAT.
    ...and that's what I thought.

I did account for this in the thread title.

Final amount I paid: £85.80 so about €101 actually..

Thanks for the replies.. The email from Paypal didnt mention anywhere what it was for, but it shows up on the expansys confirmation email. Not sure how I managed to pay £87.75.. ah well

edit: perhaps the next day courier

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Its £77 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246289606&sr=8-1
    Delivery is probably about £5 too but still should work out cheaper.

mise wrote: »
    edit: perhaps the next day courier
    Yep.. that'd be it. That's selected by default AFAIK.

hughes2558 wrote: »
    Its £77 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246289606&sr=8-1
    Delivery is probably about £5 too but still should work out cheaper.

It seems to work out slightly cheaper on expansys, if you don't go for the next day courier service.

Total I got was £86.54 on amazon

I did check the price on Amazon before I posted this.. didn't anticipate the VAT different but still cheaper from Expansys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The WD HD TV is €89 on Komplett. €12 postage or collect it for free (until 19th Jul) at their Dublin pick-up point.

So €100 isn't really a bargain, just a fairly normal price. Great gizmo though, recommend it highly.

The WD HD TV is €89 on Komplett. €12 postage or collect it for free (until 19th Jul) at their Dublin pick-up point.

So €100 isn't really a bargain, just a fairly normal price. Great gizmo though, recommend it highly.
    Was unaware it was so cheap at Komplett.. it's always the last place I check! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Anyone tried using this with a USB hub to connect more drives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Was unaware it was so cheap at Komplett.. it's always the last place I check!
    Ah, wherever you get it from, you can't go wrong at anywhere around 100 quid. Its a great little gadget for the money. :)
    Anyone tried using this with a USB hub to connect more drives?
    Havent tried, but there's 2 USB ports so havent really needed to.

Just bought a supported WiFi dongle for it on Ebay for €10.

With the addition of network support, a bit-torrent client, Rapidshare downloads, a Web Interface, DVD-ROM playback and CIFS/SAMBA/Windows Shares or NFS (all with a custom firmware) - this is kicking the Popcorn Hour's ass at half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

basquille wrote: »

With the addition of network support, a bit-torrent client, Rapidshare downloads, a Web Interface, DVD-ROM playback and CIFS/SAMBA/Windows Shares or NFS (all with a custom firmware) - this is kicking the Popcorn Hour's ass at half the price!

Any chance you could give me a quick guide on how this is done, or a link to a website with a walkthrough? Can't even find the dongle on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I ordered this for 101,50 from Komplett last week, delivered in 2 days.

Nice piece of kit, saves me streaming to my PS3/Xbox360

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to record in HD onto this yoke? What I'm thinking is throwing my BD's onto it, and (hopefully) being able to watch it losslessly.

Also, it's "only" external HDD's/USB's can be connected yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

basquille wrote: »

hmm didnt realise this was possible with the WD, have you got a link to the supported wifi dongle on ebay ?

• Advertisement

doyler442 wrote: »
    Any chance you could give me a quick guide on how this is done, or a link to a website with a walkthrough? Can't even find the dongle on Ebay.
    Link
    Soarer wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to record in HD onto this yoke? What I'm thinking is throwing my BD's onto it, and (hopefully) being able to watch it losslessly.

Also, it's "only" external HDD's/USB's can be connected yeah?
    Recording's not possible. You can "throw" your BD's onto it as an ISO and it'll play them. Only external HDD's AFAIK - unless you got an enclosure etc.
    Catch_22 wrote: »
    hmm didnt realise this was possible with the WD, have you got a link to the supported wifi dongle on ebay ?
    The above link has a list of supported WiFi Dongles. This is included: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130315488645&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement