Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Analogue, DTT, Aerials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    TV3 is being broadcast as a test card at the moment.

With DTT, RTE 1/2, TV3 and TG4 are on the same frequency/channel, so if you get one you get all.

Any Idea when TV3 test on Cairn hill will start broadcasts? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭upsilon

it is on and off, for me. it was on in December, now it is off. RTE seams to always be ON. TG4 can down broad cast some time as well.

Note: if ALL your channels vanish from one single frequency, it normally is ON on an other.

upsilon wrote: »
    it is on and off, for me. it was on in December, now it is off. RTE seams to always be ON. TG4 can down broad cast some time as well.

Note: if ALL your channels vanish from one single frequency, it normally is ON on an other.

Thanks for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Any thoughts on this yoke to stick on the side of the house (since I'm in a rented place):

41mIoJ6yOJL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-27780R-Compact-Outdoor-Digital/dp/B001GXQUMM

I think my transmitter would be Kippure. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Advertisement

rg6 is what you need for tv and satellite, looks a bit pricy for ebay who don't pay vat, your local tv shop or tvtrade.ie should be just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

redalicat wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this yoke to stick on the side of the house (since I'm in a rented place):

41mIoJ6yOJL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-27780R-Compact-Outdoor-Digital/dp/B001GXQUMM

I think my transmitter would be Kippure. :confused:
    +1. My neighbor has one of them as well.
    I would ask him if wasn't such an Oul one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

+1. My neighbor has one of them as well.
    I would ask him if wasn't such an Oul one.
    Haven't seen one in use before, it's just that we're quitting Sky and our rented place is up for sale. I don't want to invest in the work of installing a proper aerial that my landlord should provide and then the place sells right after that, so this is interesting 'cause I could take it with if we have to move--but I'd like to know that it'd work before buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

They are selling this In Lidl next week. Not sure if its any use. I suppose for 10 euro its worth a bash.
    Wk18_45996_b.jpg

DVB-T Indoor Aerial

Receives digital, analogue TV & radio signals
    With integrated broadband amplifier
    Variable signal amplification by up to 28dB for optimal picture and sound quality
    Pivoting and tilting telescopic aerials
    Accessories: 1 x adaptor F-plug/coax jack for DVB-T receiver connection, 1 x adaptor coax jack/coax jack for TV/radio conversion, aerial connector cable
    In black or silver
    Price per item 9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

useless information removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Picked one up today and plugged it into my LG 47LH3000. It's working really well. Getting all the test transmissions. One more nail in the Sky coffin...

I'm thinking about connecting it to my Triax active splitter in the attic but not sure if it will work. I have the 4 outputs from my sat dish plugged into it and it's distributing 10 satellite feeds around the house. I could take one of the unused feeds beside my TV and see if it will work. Somehow I don't think it will work but would be nice to be able to use it as a single antenna for the entire house, and get rid of it from behind the TV
    That's great, but the info is useless without an idea of your location or how far away you are from the transmitter. A coathanger makes an excellent aerial if you live in the likes of Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

That's great, but the info is useless without an idea of your location or how far away you are from the transmitter. A coathanger makes an excellent aerial if you live in the likes of Sandyford.
    I can vouch for that one - I used to watch DTT in Stillorgan using a coathanger as an aerial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

useless information removed
    I see I must have stepped on some toes:( If you just told us how far away you were from your nearest transmitter or even an idea of what town or city you lived in, it would help readers decide if the Lidl aerial is worth buying for the area they live in. Be it a strong, average or weak reception area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i bought the lidl aerial last week. I'm in the killaloe/ballina area on teh clare tipp border. We have a repeater above the town as we're down in the shannon valley. so i thought no hope for digital as even analog around here is no good.

sp i tried the lidl aerial, and it picked up the channels, but not well enough to give a picture, i could see the channel names but no picture, so i switched to a philips version of the same type aerial i had from a while back and with it i get perfect digital reception, no analog though.

so, the philips aerials would appear to be better than the lidl ones, although it was 3 times the price when i bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Which philips aerial?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SDV4230-Sdv4230-Indoor-Aerial/dp/B000E8M8TY

i picked up a contact aerial on saturday and from playing around with it i reckon i'm picking up the maghera transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Hey

i was wondering if someone could recommend an Ariel for me? im living it waterford, just wanna watch the World Cup, i though it was been shown on Eurosport but its only the highlights.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Hey

i was wondering if someone could recommend an Ariel for me? im living it waterford, just wanna watch the World Cup, i though it was been shown on Eurosport but its only the highlights.

Thanks

You have lost of options to watch the world cup.

You can watch it on:
    RTE in analogue via aerial.
    RTE in digital via aerial and mpeg4 set top box. (unofficial service, i.e. test broadcasts)
    BBCHD and ITV1HD via satellite dish. (once of payment for dish and box)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

sarahn11 wrote: »
    i though it was been shown on Eurosport but its only the highlights.

How do you currently receive Eurosport?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Hi guys thanks for the replys.
    Currently the only tv i have is sky player on my xbox 360. im not much of a Tv watcher, but i do love my sport!
    As its just going to be for the football, and i wont be watching it all the time, ide really like to go for the cheapest option. Money is tight at the moment and dont have the funds to be splashing out on a decoder :(
    i have an LG plasma tv that doesnt have an mpeg4 tuner so i can only get the sound and no picture:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Handy Aerial Chart per Transmitter Area (up to date as of MAY 2010)

attachment.php?attachmentid=116205&stc=1&d=1275872247

STB wrote: »

The data remains unchanged since it was first published by RTÉNL in Apr 2009. No additional information on relays etc.

The only change to the RTÉNL "Receiving Digital Terrestrial Television" brochure is the removal of the reference to Boxer and amended text on subscription channels since the failure of the BAI commercial TV process.

Link to the updated brochure previously posted by watty.

Links and brochures uploaded for posterity.
    2009 - http://www.rtenl.com/downloads/ReceivingDTT.pdf
    2010 - http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/Receiving%20DTT%20(May%2010).pdf

What does the p1 B1 B2 B3 refer to withinn the Dtt display section on chart? also when tunning dtv from longford cairn hill is there a optimum mhz frequency to select when tuining for dtv rte,tv3,tnag for south longford area?

Not ALL multiplex channels works all the time. Remember it is only a test.
    On mount leinster RTEs are broadcasted on 666mMhz and 698Mhz but not all the time. sometime it is only on 666mHz some other time on 698Mhz.
    Don't know if it is the dry weather but I could not get anything for the past few days. seems to be back on 666MHz yesterday.
    I receive Ch 45 and 49 P1 and B3, not the rest with a Wideband UHF antenna. hope this help.

ranger4 wrote: »
    What does the p1 B1 B2 B3 refer to withinn the Dtt display section on chart?

Multiplex names.
    P1 = PSB Mux 1 i.e. the RTÉ operated public service mux.
    B1, B2, B3 = Boxer Mux 1, 2, 3 i.e. the name given by RTÉ to the BCI/BAI awarded commercial multiplexes in the brochure, not changed when Boxer withdrew from the process or when the brochure was updated last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

STB wrote: »

The PSB MUX (P1) from Dungarvan is on Ch 62 for a long time, not Ch 55 as the table says, as Ch62 is the clearest of the 4 available DTT channels.

ranger4 wrote: »
    also when tunning dtv from longford cairn hill is there a optimum mhz frequency to select when tuining for dtv rte,tv3,tnag for south longford area?

If you want to know what MHz (Frequency) a UHF channel corresponds to, have a look at

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/information/a12613/uhf-channel-and-frequency-guide.html

For digital you enter the 'center frequency' (far right) i.e. Ch 47 = 682MHz

For analogue tuning enter the Vision frequency,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Sorry if ths has been asked before.

Looking for an indoor aerial for DTT, nearest transmitter is Spur Hill.
    Using a pair of rabbit ear aerials, the analogue reception is between average and poor if that's any help.

Thanks in advance.

minister anouced network of 51 transmitters, I suppose they won't all be live in nov? is there a list ? I have seen the main one, but the small ones? will they be the present one for analogue?

upsilon wrote: »
    minister anouced network of 51 transmitters, I suppose they won't all be live in nov? is there a list ? I have seen the main one, but the small ones? will they be the present one for analogue?

The Minister in a reply to a Dáil PQ in May included a list of 25 transmitters to be available at launch. We may assume that the list is still current as it was published at a time when the commercial multiplex process had ended.

Since then, in mid July at the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications Conor Hayes of RTÉ indicated that there would be 28 sites covering 94.5% of the population ready by the technical launch date in Oct. No indication where the further three sites are. By March next year a further 21 sites should be switched on with the final two coming on-line sometime between Oct 2011 and Sept 2012.

Almost all the 51 DTT sites will be existing analogue sites. The original plan had two or three new sites, Kilduff in N. Tipp (planning permission granted 2008) comes to mind. Considering there are now 170 analogue sites covering 98% of the population and that 51 sites will achieve the same coverage indicates how infrastructure efficient DTT transmission is.
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ... I will set out RTE Network Limited’s current predictions for population coverage of the first free-to-air national public service multiplex, which will be operational from October 2010. The company predicts that by that month, the system will have been installed on 28 sites nationally. We reckon we will have approximately 94.5% population coverage. Members should bear in mind that our statutory remit is to provide for 90% coverage. We would exceed that from the outset. Our level of DTT coverage at that stage would exceed TV3’s current level of analogue coverage, which is 85%. By the second quarter of 2011, we predict we will cover 97.2% of the population from 49 sites, which would be approximately the same as TG4’s current level of analogue coverage.

We will continue to install more sites from the fourth quarter of 2011 to the third quarter of 2012. As these sites will interact with each other, the overall level of population coverage will not materially alter. By the fourth quarter of 2012, we estimate we will reach the statutory requirement to have approximately replicated our current level of analogue coverage, which is 98% of the population. The equivalent population coverage for the second national DTT public service multiplex will be achieved by the third quarter of 2013, and possibly earlier. The delay in that regard can be attributed to the fact that one cannot achieve that until after the analogue switch-off. In addition, there are power restrictions in how the South of Ireland interfaces with the North of Ireland and with the UK, in terms of spectrum and planning. All of these things have to be co-ordinated.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate...&Ex=All&Page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just to jump onboard, I just had the guys from EIRSS fit an aerial in my attic to pick up DTT and run it to three seperate rooms plus they ran an extra two satellite cables from my dish to an upstairs bedroom.

Very nice guys who did a super neat job. I finally got rid of my lidl aerial from the bedroom window and now have my spare skybox running in it's place.

For those of you thinking of getting rid of sky and are worried about getting RTE etc these guys are very reasonable and nice to deal with in all things satellite and DTT.

Advertisement