Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foinse goes out of business

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    There is equality. Anyone can sit any exam through Irish and get bonus points if they wish.

How is that equality? Genuinely confused!

By that standard the Matric was fair.
    'Oh wait' what? The rule that you had to pass Irish to pass the Leaving Cert was removed in about 1973 or 1974. I had people in my Leaving Cert (1980s) class who didn't sit Irish. Yes, not doing so probably shut off potential avenues to them (though this is a slighly irrelevant point since they were brutal academically in the first place) but at the end of the day nobody really gave a sh*t that they weren't doing it. That was their problem. Force didn't enter into it.

Fair point but it was compulsory in my school in the early 90's.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Nobody's forcing you to learn Irish anyway.... oh, wait....

Hey, if i was to be forced to learn a dead language, i'd pick sanskrit.

bitches love sanskrit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

AFAIK it's the universities which make Irish compulsory because of matriculation requirements. And this is generally just NUI universities.

You can fail Irish and get into TCD if you've passed another language. I just had a look at DIT's prospectus, and it seems you need either a pass in English or Irish.

It's by no means compulsory unless you want to go to a NUI uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

JC 2K3 wrote: »

AFAIK it's the universities which make Irish compulsory because of matriculation requirements. And this is generally just NUI universities.

This is true. In fact for Arts in NUI anyway you have to pass English, Irish and a third language. Irish is not compulsory in terms of the Leaving Cert and any compulsion that is there in relation to entry to university is there for other languages too. So the compulsion argument against the language doesn't get past the front gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

dlofnep wrote: »
    I personalised because you questioned me on a personal level. What has that to do with anything? You stated that there was an element of snobbery, I stated and showed otherwise.

No you didn't, you just said you weren't as though that's conclusive proof it doesn't happen. It doesn't disprove my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This is true. In fact for Arts in NUI anyway you have to pass English, Irish and a third language. Irish is not compulsory in terms of the Leaving Cert and any compulsion that is there in relation to entry to university is there for other languages too. So the compulsion argument against the language doesn't get past the front gate.
    Well, I think it's compulsory for secondary schools to teach Irish, and perhaps for students to sit the LC Irish exams.

I've no idea whether it's required for students to attend Irish classes or not.

Tbh, I'd be surprised if a school didn't get away with letting certain students not attend Irish classes.

The whole Irish being compulsory at LC level debate is a farce IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

foinse forced the universities to make irish compulsary?
    ---
    ****ing foras na gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

When I was doing the LC our weekend homework was to read Foinse and come in and discuss it on the Monday. TBH some of its articles were decent enough, particularly the sports section, even if at most I only understood 60-70%.

Sad to see it go :(

Advertisement