Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Xofpod wrote: »
    Had a couple of weeks of good holiday reading:

Darkness, take my hand - Denis Lehane
    The Power, Naomi Alderman
    A hero in France, Alan Furst
    The Dry, Jane Harper
    My Brilliant Friend, Elena Ferrante

Liked A Hero in France well enough, decent fairly light reading, will be checking out a few more Furst. The Power I didn't rate at all, a poor person's Handmaid's Tale. Kind of weary with dystopian fiction at this stage, seems to be no stop to it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Liked A Hero in France well enough, decent fairly light reading, will be checking out a few more Furst. The Power I didn't rate at all, a poor person's Handmaid's Tale. Kind of weary with dystopian fiction at this stage, seems to be no stop to it these days.

Furst is great holiday reading. For recent holidays I've been trying to ration out the last few of his books I haven't read.

Some people find his stuff quite repetitive but I prefer the way he described them, as different chapters of the same story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

'Kane and Abel' by Jeffrey Archer.
    I've never read anything by him before even though my mother has every book he's ever written.
    It's easy reading, but I'm really enjoying the story. It's one of those books that I find I keep telling myself I'll go to bed after I've read the next chapter, no the next chapter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

'Kane and Abel' by Jeffrey Archer.
    I've never read anything by him before even though my mother has every book he's ever written.
    It's easy reading, but I'm really enjoying the story. It's one of those books that I find I keep telling myself I'll go to bed after I've read the next chapter, no the next chapter....

I found his short stories are better than his novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I read Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck. It's short but great, like Breakfast At Tiffany's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Book Two of My Struggle, A Man in Love by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion.

The Gospel according to Blindboy

The Turning by Tim Winton & Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix.

Covers much more ground compared to the film, and I must say I do enjoy my CAPS LOCK HARRY. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Turning by Tim Winton & Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington

I love Tim Winton.
    There's a really interesting film version of The Turning where the Australian film board gathered up loads of Aussie talent and made all the short stories into short films. Some work better than others but there's some really great ones in it. Loads of recognisable names too, Rose Byrne, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and loads of other familiar faces.

I love Tim Winton.
    There's a really interesting film version of The Turning where the Australian film board gathered up loads of Aussie talent and made all the short stories into short films. Some work better than others but there's some really great ones in it. Loads of recognisable names too, Rose Byrne, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and loads of other familiar faces.

First of his I've read & enjoying it so far. Picked it up in the library with Eyrie on impulse purely.
    Thanks for the heads up on a film version - I will have to follow that up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Magician by Raymond E.Feist

Eyrie by Tim Winton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, really enjoying it but apparently some are outraged that the trilogy hasn't been completed yet... :pac:

Too Close to Breathe by Olivia Kiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Just finished Beartown by Fredrik Backman. I must say I liked it, I liked his style, it flowed well. I'm going to give some of his other books a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Just finished Beartown by Fredrik Backman. I must say I liked it, I liked his style, it flowed well. I'm going to give some of his other books a go.

Loved it, was a story about the town as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jude The Obscure

This is going to hurt : Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 aandy

Ninefox Gambit by Yoon La Lee. Where are the Science Fiction threads??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

batgoat wrote: »
    Loved it, was a story about the town as much as anything.

It was indeed. It was a character in itself. I just bought the sequel today 'Us Against You'. Hope it's as good.

The Lake by George Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

How To Murder Your Life - Cat Marnell's memoir. Very addictive and raw and honest and funny - not particularly well-written, but somehow it didn't even matter! Well worth a read.

Cornflakes for Dinner by Aidan Comerford. Refreshingly irreverant. Well-paced and inspiring, I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Book 2 of Game of Thrones A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. Superb read lives up to the hype.

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Red Dirt, E.M. Reapy. Excellent stuff, and far more of a page turner than expected.

Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

I've just finished John Scalzi's "The Last Colony" - thought it was a fine ending to a really enjoyable trilogy. Currently midway through "The lieutenant" by Kate Grenville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Finally read 'At swim two birds ' , I might actually get it on the 3rd read , what a mind that man had !

Advertisement