Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Stephen king the outsider. Only 80 or so pages in so far but enjoying it

The girl who plays go, by Shan Sa..

Probably only because I quite enjoy playing go..

But, I dunno..I think Japanese, as a language doesn't translate into English well..
    This is like the third or fourth book now that I've thought the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - Really liked Everything I Never Told You so high hopes for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler‎

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dibble wrote: »

God, I hated that book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

God, I hated that book.

I'm about 50 pages in and so far so good. You've got me worried now!

I'm about 50 pages in and so far so good. You've got me worried now!

There's a "twist" about half way through and you'll either love it or it'll make you want to throw the book out the window. Many people I've spoken to loved it. I, did not.

I absolutely loved that book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Callan57 wrote: »
    I absolutely loved that book :)

I'm also in the "loved it" category but it's definitely (and surprisingly, for me anyway) one of the more divisive books of recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I thought it was ok, not bad at all, but nothing to get too excited over. If it wasn't for the peculiar plot twist I doubt I'd remember very much about it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

There's a "twist" about half way through and you'll either love it or it'll make you want to throw the book out the window. Many people I've spoken to loved it. I, did not.
    I thought it was ok, not bad at all, but nothing to get too excited over. If it wasn't for the peculiar plot twist I doubt I'd remember very much about it at all.

Tsk, tsk. Twists are less likely to surprise somebody if they know there's a twist coming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

started The Automobile Club of Egypt by Alaa Al Aswany.
    I loved his Yacoubian Building, and saw him in Dublin years ago in conversation with Colm Toibin at the IFI.
    Seems promising from the start.

Tread Softly On My Dreams by Gretta Curran Browne ... it's OK but glad I got it for 99p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Third Antichrist, the last of the Nostradamus trilogy by Mario Reading

Moonrise by Sarah Crossan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Moveable Feast by Hemingway

Elmet by Fiona Mozley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭4Ad

Dont Let Go by Harlan Coben.
    Terrible, usually he is a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A Death in The Family. Book One of My Struggle by Karl Ove Knaussgard.

I'm a bit late to the party with these books, I know they've been out for a few years now, but I have to say I've found this volume to be an incredible read. Very bleak at times and always totally unsparing. How he manages to mix the mundanity of life with what feel like earth shattering moments of insight is just awe inspiring. It'll be straight onto book two after this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Varying Degrees of Hopelessness" by Lucy Ellmann.

The first (short) chapter was a bit annoying and a bit dull. But the rest is very funny, in a neurotic sort of a way. I like it, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Read 'My Cousin Rachel' by Daphne du Maurier and really enjoyed it. Last few chapters were exciting. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I just finished Harvesting by Lisa Harding, best book I've read in a while. Well worth a read, the fact that it's an Irish book is a bonus too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Reading Consider Phlebas. Very good book so far as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Augustus by John Williams.

A General Theory of Oblivion by José Eduardo Agualusa

Finally finished The Good People by Hannah Kent. Couldn't get into it at all. Really tough going to even finish it. I loved her previous book, Burial Rites, so I was looking forward to this but nope, huge disappointment.

Finally finished The Good People by Hannah Kent. Couldn't get into it at all. Really tough going to even finish it. I loved her previous book, Burial Rites, so I was looking forward to this but nope, huge disappointment.

I thoroughly enjoyed both The Good People & Burial Rites

A Game of Ghosts by John Connolly & The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen

Had a couple of weeks of good holiday reading:

Darkness, take my hand - Denis Lehane
    The Power, Naomi Alderman
    A hero in France, Alan Furst
    The Dry, Jane Harper
    My Brilliant Friend, Elena Ferrante

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Reading Consider Phlebas. Very good book so far as expected.

It was my recent first experience of the Culture books. I felt it was a bit over-long and over-written. I've heard that's it's one of the weaker of the series though so I'll take another dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Have to agree with Tickle_Me_Elmo, I didn't find The Good People a very good read either, having loved Burial Rites.

Halfway through Lisa Genova's Every Note Played and as is to be expected, it's a harrowing but brilliant read. Genova writes such great medical based books. Still Alice is one of my all-time favourites.

Advertisement