Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I finished 'The Legacy' by Katharine Webb on a flight home yesterday - brilliant!!!

Just started 'Ellis Island' by Kate Kerrigan last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Would recommend very highly.
    Also finshed Lustrum by Robert Harris. I really liked that. And finally Alone in Berlin which was full of atmosphere and dread. An excellent translation too. I ususlly have two or three books on the go together!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished the Millennium Trilogy [very good, but totally understand who many people dont like the 3rd book as much as other two]

Ive now gone back to Crime and Punnishment [the book, rather than lifestyle choice!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, thanks for the great recommendations :) I'm reading Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. It's her memoirs of working as a Midwife in the East End of London in the 1950's and I'm really enjoying, it's well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dead in the Family by Charlene Harris, gods help me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished The Butcher Boy. Jaaaaaysus.

I'm now about 50 pages into The Historian.

So far, it's pretty interesting. I've heard mixed reviews, so hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Roots by Alex Haley

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevlyn20

Also just finished The Help by Katherine Stockett, really enjoyed it.

Reading Let the Great world Spin, Colum Mc Cann now, also a great read so far.

What next methinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Just started Red Plenty by Francis Spufford.

Got it from the bookdepository.co.uk website. Series of short stories on the Soviet planned economy and the affect it had on its citizens, mixing fact and fiction. Very enjoyable so far.

I loved The Historian but I know a huge number of people hated it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Kalimah wrote: »

Brilliant book ... found it revetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

Kalimah wrote: »

count me amongst them

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

was reading assasins apprentice by robin hobb - very good but a hard read if your an animal lover

count me amongst them

I'm about 100 pages in. The whole "I could see my father struggle, and knew he didn't want to tell me anymore, but he had to..." spiel is wearing a little thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Kevlyn20 wrote: »
    Also just finished The Help by Katherine Stockett, really enjoyed it.

Reading Let the Great world Spin, Colum Mc Cann now, also a great read so far.

What next methinks?
    Fab book! Read it a couple of weeks ago.

Currently reading Gaston Laroux’s ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ – enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just started Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I very much enjoyed the first two in the series, and am very much looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Ringworld by Larry Niven. good sci-fi book and easy to follow and get through. reading through it for the second time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and 61 Hours by Lee Child. As soon as Autumn starts to kick in I'm going to start reading The Lord of the Rings again, perfect time of year to get started:)

Just beginning another Jonathan Kellerman book 'Evidence'

Still tackling my way through The Historian.

I'm just wondering,
    While the daughter is reading her father's letters, did she ever once wonder "Dad, stop ****ing on about Turkish and Hungarian infrastructure. What happened to my mum?!!"
    :pac:
    I also can't help but chuckle about the fact that the whole book is written in the first person, by at least 3 different characters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Finished The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. I really enjoyed it and found it very informative. Although I like his style I don't know if I'd be keen on reading any of his other books any time soon, he seems to cover some of the same ground across a few of them.

I'm about two thirds of the way through 1984 now, enjoying it so far.

Finished the Historian. The ending was quite rubbish.

3 words, Kostova; Less. Is. More.

Up next; Brave New World.

Completely disagree with you ... I loved that book

Meh. It was at least 200 pages too long, the main characters were annoying and the whole notion of
    Dracula looking for scholars to look after his library
    was just stupid.

If you are interested in long-winded descriptions of Eastern European infrastructure, then this is the book for you :p

But then I have heard a lot of good reviews about it, so maybe I'm missing something.

Ho hum...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 60% through it ,and finding it hard to finish.Keep hoping it will get better,hate giving up on a book.
    Decided to take a break from it tonight and started The Taking by Koontz. Already a third into it,easy reading with a good story.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Is anyone else reading Room by Emma Donoghue?

http://www.emmadonoghue.com/room.htm

I bought it just the other day and am in the last few pages, couldn't put it down, it's the first book in a while that's gripped me in ages. A must-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Isle

At the moment I'm reading Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne. I've only got about 30 pages left. It's a quick read... there's only 300 pages in it. It's one of his best books if you haven't read it yet.

The Taking frightened the living daylights out of me. I had dreams about it off and on. One night on hols I had a very vivid dream/nightmare and woke up in a terror. It was just like the beginning of the book with the storm. We did have a storm the next night! After that I was nearly ready to go back to Mass again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

Reading "Leni" by Steven Bach.

This is the biography of Leni Riefenstahl , the film director and photographer who directed those iconic propaganda films for the Nazis .

She always denied knowledge of Hitler's intentions but this book exposes her complicity in those events. She lived to the ripe old age of 101 and only died in 2003.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780349115535/Leni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. I'm only about 90 pages in but so far it's good and I'm preferring it to The Little Stranger. I love WW2-era novels set in England.

Advertisement