Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Metalfan

Warlock by Wilbur Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

"Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray

I'm on a bit of a Booker Prize theme here, as I just bought The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas & Room by Emma Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have had Skippy Dies sitting at home for ages. I really must read it now. We've got innumerable piles of unread books though, it's quite ridiculous, so I don't know when I shall get round to it. How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' was great.. Reading the second one now - 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' - and it's a fantastic read as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

pearliefan wrote: »
    'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' was great.. Reading the second one now - 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' - and it's a fantastic read as well.

Same here. I'm half ways thrugh the second book. Its even better than the first one imo so far. Has anyone read all three? which is the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Same here. I'm half ways thrugh the second book. Its even better than the first one imo so far. Has anyone read all three? which is the best?

Read all 3 and for me the last one Hornets' Nest is the best but all 3 are rivetting reads ... for once well worthy of all the hype :D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Have had Skippy Dies sitting at home for ages. I really must read it now. We've got innumerable piles of unread books though, it's quite ridiculous, so I don't know when I shall get round to it. How do you find it?
    I just finished the book yesterday. A strange story, but very topical. It reminded me a bit of the film "Donnie Darko". It's set in a fictional Irish fee-paying school, though you can probably guess which school it's based on. I won't reveal anymore, though the title gives you a hint.

Last night I started "The Room" by Emma Donoghue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Fire And Ice by J.A. Jance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Brave New World. Loved it.

Just started Kite Runner last night.

About to start The Housekeep & The Professor by Yoko Ogawa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

Finished the Millenium Trilogy. Quite decent but left me a little underwhelmed. No interest in any character except Lisbebh.

Just started Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor. Liking it so far. Can't wait to see how it ends!

I'll also be reading as many plays as I can as suggestions for our drama group. Just scanned through A Crucial Week In The Life Of A Grocers Assistant by Tom Murphy. I'll mark it down as a possible. Saw a production of his Bailegangaire recently and it blew me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley a few days ago. I liked it. But (just seen as they're compared so much) I do like Orwell's Nineteen-EightyFour more.

I'm now onto Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz. For a book that's over 700 pages long I'm tearing into it very well! It's one that just flows and you don't notice that you've read so much. I like Toltz's way of describing things, and much of the passages have a very quotable feel to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Finished reading Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan, gritty and hardboiled, great stuff (if not a little confusing sometimes, I tend to read at night so sleepy no good for delicate plot points :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've been re-reading some classics at the moment but started the girl who played with fire and think it's brilliant so far, so excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MsMoo

Recently read Iain Banks - The Steep Approach to Garbadale and a re-read of Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman - Good Omens.

Great reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Finally getting round to reading At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien. It's really good so far! He's mad craic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Fenny wrote: »
    Finally getting round to reading At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien. It's really good so far! He's mad craic. :D

LOVED that book. It's just so...all over the place. In a good way :P

I just started The Dalkey Archives. So far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just coming to the end of The Religion Tim Willocks very good story not sure about the flowery language though.

Read short story The Lottery last night,excellent twist

Just getting into The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Reading the new Sansom book Heartstone. This could beat Sovereign!

Reading the new Sansom book Heartstone. This could beat Sovereign!

Is it that good? I'm a huge fan of Sansom just love his writing style

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevlyn20

Finished Brave New World. Loved it.

Just started Kite Runner last night.

Fantastic book The Kite Runner as is A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Currently reading Kate Mosse, Sepulchre enjoying it so far

Just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and I'm going to start 'Room' tonight ... heard so much about it I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist. An easy read and well done too. I liked it. Just on to an Antonia Fraser bio of Charles 11 which is a bit turgid to say the least. I picked up The Chidren's Book by AS Byatt in a charity shop during the week. Dying to read thE new CS Sansom Matthew Shardake. I love those stories!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I'm about halfway through Zero History by William Gibson. I *think* its the last in the Bigend trilogy (after pattern recognition (great) and Spook Country (good)). this one is very much closer to pattern recognition in pace and enjoyability.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I am about a third of the way in to Jo Nesbo's "The Snowman", and it is stunningly good. I read one of his other Harry Hole novels which was decent but this demands your attention it is that good. I would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Seillejet wrote: »
    I am about a third of the way in to Jo Nesbo's "The Snowman", and it is stunningly good. I read one of his other Harry Hole novels which was decent but this demands your attention it is that good. I would highly recommend.

I read that on holidays in france, loved it. I told my mom to get it and she got it of amazon 3 days ago.

I'm almost finished Emma Donoghue's 'Room' ... amazing book very thought provoking and would be a deserving Booker winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My sister's boyfriend (who works in a book shop) got me a couple of books today that were left in the store room. I finished the Girl Who Played with Fire a few days ago which was brilliant and i'm thinking of starting Les Miserables - Victor Hugo, it's volume to of the book. I already read volume one so we'll see how it goes when I start it tomorrow.

Advertisement