Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I just finished Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam trilogy and I have to say that I would totally recommend all three, I really enjoyed and absolutely blasted through all of them.

I finished Stephen King's Revival on Monday night and I think that one is going to require a re-read. I liked it, the ending was completely mental but I think it needs a second read to fully appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting The Unknown Terrorist by Richard Flanagan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,844 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Hello Mr Bones, Goodbye Mr Rat the other night. It was pretty disappointing. Both stories felt like they would work better as a short story rather than a novella. It really dragged out in places, felt like the stories weren't really going anywhere.

Going to start The Seventh Mrs Hatfield soon (got it free at Comic Con!), might wait until I'm on my flight to Toronto next week, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"Death Comes To Pemberley" was a bit disappointing. It seems to recall ALL of the events "Pride And Prejudice" and who married who. I can see how some may have been necessary but they felt thrown in whenever the author wanted to explain something similiar or to further the story along easily.
    The murder itself was too "neat".
    Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth barely spoke during the entire thing but I think that was intentional as their lack of time together was mentioned a couple of times. I can't decide if it was done out of respect for Jane Austen not to put too many words in her most endearing characters mouths or as a continuation of "Pride And Prejudice" as, if I remember correctly, Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth had very few private converstaions.

I'm now reading "The Schweinfurt-Regensburg Mission" by Martin Middlebrook. Describes a daylight bombing raid in 1943 by American B-17s on a Messerschmitt aircraft factory and ball-bearing plants. A surgical strike that "could shorten the war" it was one of the first daylight raids deep into Germany (I think it said Regensburg was only forty miles from Czechoslovakia) and resulted in one of the largest losses suffered by the American bomber fleet.
    The author seemingly goes into a lot of detail, tracing which fighter or Flak unit shot down which bomber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Absolutely loved it.
    Still haven't finished the Body, but really not enjoying that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.

Set during the Vietnam War, a retired Navy SEAL tries to get over the horrors of war but gets called back into action to rescue an Air Force officer in a Vietnam concentration camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I am engaging mostly with novellas at the moment. I have recently read Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan lliyich, a straight-forward but hard-hitting read, particularly for the middle-aged who may be evaluating their chosen path in life.

I am just finished Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome and it's an absolutely wonderful piece of writing. I shall certainly seek out more by her.

Next up, The Trial by Kafka.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of John McGahern's By The Lake. An enjoyable look at life in a small rural Irish community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Struggling to finish Wolf Hall. I enjoyed about the first half of it but eventually the style of writing and lack of any real narrative dragged me down.

One of those hyped up novels that just doesn't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I read 'The Invisible Library' by Genevieve Cogman. I downloaded it because there was a kindle deal on it or something. It was ok but daft. I won't be reading the sequels.

I've moved on to 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde which I've been meaning to read with years. I'm about 1/4 way through it and I love it. His use of language is a pleasure to read. Really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Finally finished Fahrenheit 451! Read Only Ever Yours out of curiosity- it's OK, didnt have great expectations. Onto A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley- love the tone so far.

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Finally finished Fahrenheit 451! Read Only Ever Yours out of curiosity- it's OK, didnt have great expectations. Onto A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley- love the tone so far.

Oh i really liked Only Ever Yours! But I am a complete sucker for dystopian/sci-fi novels. I'm going to start The Girl with All the Gifts tonight - a friend recommended it, so I said why not ;)

I finished the Body. It was ok. I wouldn't be pushed to read more Stephen King tbh.
    Started Wool by Hugh Howdy. Only about 40 pages in but I am intrigued!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I finished the Body. It was ok. I wouldn't be pushed to read more Stephen King tbh.
    Started Wool by Hugh Howdy. Only about 40 pages in but I am intrigued!

I really liked Wool, had me riveted til the end. If you like it, he has another one in the series called Shift and that is even better IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I didn't like Wool, it was interesting at first but just got stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Oh i really liked Only Ever Yours! But I am a complete sucker for dystopian/sci-fi novels. I'm going to start The Girl with All the Gifts tonight - a friend recommended it, so I said why not ;)

Oh don't get me wrong- I read it in 2 days! I just couldn't justify giving it 4 stars on Goodreads or anything! That other book looks weird and interesting- could be a good one to read when recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out!:pac:

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong- I read it in 2 days! I just couldn't justify giving it 4 stars on Goodreads or anything! That other book looks weird and interesting- could be a good one to read when recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out!:pac:

EEEEK you poor thing, I hope it's not too painful and that you recover quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Just finished "The Circle" by Dave Eggers, a novel about the dangers of the rise of Google-type companies. I don't particuarly like his style, but it was OK as a holiday read.
    Just started "The Wallcreeper" by Nell Zink.

Lies of Silence by Brian Moore .... on a bit of a Brian Moore binge at the moment

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

'The Killer Inside Me' by Jim Thompson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Enjoyed 'The Killer Inside Me', the film sticks pretty close to the overall story.

Next up is 'Post Office' by Charles Bukowski. Haven't read anything by him before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was about to start War and Peace but I'm going away this weekend and need something to read on the plane, W&P would take up most of my baggage weight allowance :) So I picked up The Children Act by Ian McEwan on offer in Easons. The only book I've read by him before is Atonement, which was pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was about to start War and Peace but I'm going away this weekend and need something to read on the plane, W&P would take up most of my baggage weight allowance :) So I picked up The Children Act by Ian McEwan on offer in Easons. The only book I've read by him before is Atonement, which was pretty good.
    You need to get yourself a kindle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ha! It never even crossed my mind. I don't really like reading off screens, to be honest.

Kindle was invented specifically to annoy Ml O'Leary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I read and enjoyed the Children's Act but it's not as gripping or accessible as Atonement. If you enjoy it and want to read more McEwan then I cannot recommend On Chesil Beach highly enough, it is a beautiful book, among my all time favourites.

I'm continuing on a sports buzz at the moment after a long run of fiction. Last week I reread House of Pain which chronicles the bad luck of Mayo football since 1951, brilliant book and very topical with them in the Semi Final again this year with a strong team.
    Started on a book called Living on the Volcano which is a brilliant insight into the life of football managers in England, I've a feeling it will be superb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Guilty as Sin, Tami Hoag.

Another Brian Moore - No Other Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Or a Kobo….great for adding long articles from to net to Pocket…instantly on your Kobo along with your books.

• Advertisement

I don't want to go to work! I just want to stay home and read! I am reading Wool and I am hooked!

Advertisement