Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I finished up reading Kafka on the Shore, it's such a bizarre story but for some reason, I had a really emotional connection with the book. It's genuinely been years since I've felt this way about a book - I'm not sure if it's specifically Kafka or Murakami's writing in general (it's the first book of his I've read) but I will be exploring more of his work before too long.

Now on to Do No Harm by Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon's reflections on his career and "Stores if Life, Death and Brainsurgery". I'm nearly halfway through and it's another hugely engrossing and engaging book. I'm on a bit of an emotional reading rollercoaster of late!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 josephineperry

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Currently rereading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Ah I liked heart shaped box- Nos4a2 after my current slowest read ever (I've been driving to work and busy in evenings so it's taking me an age to finish a book currently), already having read Horns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finished under the dome by Stephen King.

I'd heard that the ending was poor alright, but I was really in the mood for an 800 page King special. Well, nothing could have prepared me for what was one of the most ridiculously stupid endings to a story in the history of stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Callan57 wrote: »
    A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson

Read that last week, I assume you've read life after life?
    I thought this new book was very good on its own but it's not in the same league as the other one for me. I'd be interested to know what you thought when you're finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Finished under the dome by Stephen King.

I'd heard that the ending was poor alright, but I was really in the mood for an 800 page King special. Well, nothing could have prepared me for what was one of the most ridiculously stupid endings to a story in the history of stories.

King has trouble with endings big time. The end of 11/22/63 was brilliant and heartbreaking, but then in the afterword he says his son suggested it :pac:

Prob wouldn't bother with Under the Dome as I find it hard to get past the Simpsons parallel!

On no 3 of the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch (Whispers Underground). Pure leave-your-brain-at-the-door stuff but good fun. There's an Irish character so I'll be sure to nitpick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

giggii wrote: »
    Next up is All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews, I really like the premise and the reviews look good so I'm hoping that it will be an interesting read!

I loved this book so so so much!! It was beautifully written, the characters were all so flawed yet so likeable, and although it was obvious from the get go where the story was going to go, I enjoyed every word through to the end. I'm not often completely delighted by a book, but this was definitely one of them. I couldn't recommend it enough! :)

Currently reading "So you've been publicly shamed" by Jon Ronson. I'm a huge fan of his writing and have immensely enjoyed everything he's written so far, and this is no exception, [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] only 70 or so pages in and can't get enough of it, the concept is fascinating, and his execution, as always, is flawless!! :) Can't wait to have a chance to pick it up again!!

ivytwine wrote: »
    King has trouble with endings big time. The end of 11/22/63 was brilliant and heartbreaking, but then in the afterword he says his son suggested it :pac:

Ah I though the same when I saw The Mist, when I found out the screenwriters changed the ending from the one in the book- and King said he preferred it!

Didn't know that about the ending of 11/22/63, makes me love Joe Hill even more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just back from holidays so plenty of reading time. Read Follett's Fall of Giants and loved it, so much historical detail that I didn't know about. Followed that with Winter of the World - both on kindle I might add. I'm 60% through but I'm finding this one a bit of a struggle at times. I keep losing track of who's who and it is stretching credibility with the way all the main characters are involved in the critical actions of WW2, how likely is that?
    I will persevere and read the third book in the series as I love Follett's work.
    Also have The Silkworm on the kindle and am looking forward to a bit of light reading after I've read Edge of Eternity.

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Ah I though the same when I saw The Mist, when I found out the screenwriters changed the ending from the one in the book- and King said he preferred it!

Didn't know that about the ending of 11/22/63, makes me love Joe Hill even more!

I am bit torn on the endings to the Shawshank Redemption. The book feels more real, but the film is so uplifting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

New to this forum but just finished reading 1984 (loved it, very thought provoking).
    Starting Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children tomorrow, it looks rather interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Read Follett's Fall of Giants and loved it, so much historical detail that I didn't know about. Followed that with Winter of the World - both on kindle I might add. I'm 60% through but I'm finding this one a bit of a struggle at times. I keep losing track of who's who and it is stretching credibility with the way all the main characters are involved in the critical actions of WW2, how likely is that?

I had the exact same trouble with the credibility as you. I would have preferred to see a more average war experience for the characters instead of having them shoehorned into every major event.

I haven't read the third book yet but this has reminded me that I should probably get to that soon, before I forget who everyone is and how they're all related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

On holiday so read the Bookthief a favourite here I think and it is quite a poignant story.

The Girl on the Train was a page turner and an interesting style of writing as its told from 3 different points of view.

Now on to Kolymsky Heights

Esterhase wrote: »
    I had the exact same trouble with the credibility as you. I would have preferred to see a more average war experience for the characters instead of having them shoehorned into every major event.

I haven't read the third book yet but this has reminded me that I should probably get to that soon, before I forget who everyone is and how they're all related.

The third one is definitely a bit hard to get your head around, especially if you've fallen in love with the original characters. I know characters from FoG have had their time, but I think as being the anchors of the trilogy they deserved a bit more;
    I had a grá for Billy Williams and he just abandoned the character completely :(

FINALLY finished 'Two Brothers' bu Ben Elton this morning. I've had no time to read lately and it's taken me an embarrassingly long time! Absolutely loved it though- I've never read one of Elton's books before and he has a really genuine style, and the story was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Saturday by Ian McEwan

Dibble wrote: »
    Saturday by Ian McEwan

I normally love Ian McEwan, in fact two of his books are in my all time favourite list (On Chesil Beach, and Atonement) but I don't envy you now, that's a plodding read but worthwhile for a finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Feast for Crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm past the halfway mark for A Dance With Dragons so I can start watching the current season of Game of Thrones now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I normally love Ian McEwan, in fact two of his books are in my all time favourite list (On Chesil Beach, and Atonement) but I don't envy you now, that's a plodding read but worthwhile for a finish.

I hear what you're saying about the plodding nature of this book! However, I really did enjoy reading it. It was a slow build up but the back drop of the plane on fire, public demonstrations and imminent invasion of Iraq gave the book an edginess or sense of foreboding. I really warmed to this book and its characters in a way I couldn't to his book Solar. Horses for courses I suppose:)

Dibble wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying about the plodding nature of this book! However, I really did enjoy reading it. It was a slow build up but the back drop of the plane on fire, public demonstrations and imminent invasion of Iraq gave the book an edginess or sense of foreboding. I really warmed to this book and its characters in a way I couldn't to his book Solar. Horses for courses I suppose:)

No, I agree with you entirely. It's well worthwhile for a finish but I found it tough going for long parts. I read it just when it came out so my memories are quite vague, in saying that I wouldn't ever read it again.
    Which brings me to my new book, a rare enough re-read. Whenever I'm asked to recommend a book or to list my favourite Irish novels I always say 'A long long way' by Sebastian Barry. When I read it about ten years ago I was blown away so it's due another lash, started on it last night and I know I won't be disappointed because I remember nothing of it so far:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's 1949.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished A God In Ruins by Kate Atkinson ... loved it

Next on my list is The Lost Child by Caryl Phillips

Reading Dublin's no 1 nazi by Gerry Mullins. About Adolf Mahr who was director of the national museum in the 30s and the head of the Irish nazi party (yes there was one). fascinating stuff!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm nearly finished Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler. It's alright. It's the kind of book that when actually you're reading it it's good but once you put it down you're not exactly dying to get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

Started reading the Snapper by Roddy Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Jinonatron wrote: »
    Started reading the Snapper by Roddy Doyle

Amazing book. Check out The Commitments and The Van also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Ipso wrote: »
    Amazing book. Check out The Commitments and The Van also.

Another good Roddy Doyle book to check out is A Star Called Henry.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »
    Another good Roddy Doyle book to check out is A Star Called Henry.

A Star Called Henry is a brilliant book, so is Paddy Clarke ha, ha, ha.

I think that the Barrytown books have aged terribly, I read them all as a teenager when they were new and loved them, recently reread the Snapper and the Van and I thought they were extremely juvenile, probably exactly what I wanted at 16. His most recent book called 'The Guts' features a grown up Jimmy Rabbitte and is the worst thing he's done in years.

Advertisement