Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

pearliefan wrote: »
    I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee. Hadn't read it in about four years so I decided to do so again and I've been stuck in it all morning!! I'm trying to read it slowly so as to savour it though..

Also started reading The Great Gatsby last week... can't really get into it but it's been recommended so many times that I'll have to!

Read The DaVinci Code last week and I loved it!!
    Loved the three Dan Brown books I have read. The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and the Lost Symbol

Secret Scripture, by Sebastian Barry
    Loved this book.. Had it in the to ready pile for ages. Finally got around to it a Christmas. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SecondTime

tazkatie wrote: »
    Loved this book.. Had it in the to ready pile for ages. Finally got around to it a Christmas. Excellent.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I didn't like it and I found the plot just plain silly. But I was in the minority among my friends about that. I'm glad you enjoyed it tho':)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭silver_surfer

41DV7G5CTGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Pittens wrote: »
    Just finished Brooklyn by Colm Toibín. Very nice story. Am finishing Dome by Stephen King. As always with King I find the psychological bits and the dialogue sympathetic, the general mayhem bits leave me a bit cold.

But a return to form. After than possibly some popular science book.

Brooklyn left me underwhelmed - I had read The Master before so my expectations were probably too high.
    I've never read any Stephen King - I must get round to giving him a bash one of these days.:)

• Advertisement

SecondTime wrote: »
    Brooklyn left me underwhelmed - I had read The Master before so my expectations were probably too high.
    I've never read any Stephen King - I must get round to giving him a bash one of these days.:)
    I have the Master in my to read pile.. Is it worth a read?

tazkatie wrote: »
    I have the Master in my to read pile.. Is it worth a read?

I thought it was brilliant. But I like Henry James too, so maybe I was biased.

SecondTime wrote: »
    Have only read two Stephen King's - Misery and the Green Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am almost half way through 'The Journals of Sylvia Plath', and have just finished reading, 'Living with Evil'.

Absolutely loving the Plath book.

Living with Evil - first and only book ever to make me cry. Absolutely harrowing stuff, definitely not light reading, but I'm glad I read it. Shows just how much it is possible for one to go through and still come out the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished The Time Traveler's Wife just yesterday. Overall it was a very good read, and the ending really moved me.

I've now begun reading something utterly different - American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm only 50 pages in, but already I'm very intrigued. Gaiman's style is very direct and minimalist, and the plotline, thus far, is totally unique - unlike anything I've come across before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished twilight last nite,starting new moon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I've just finished reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, a fictional novel based loosely on the life of Laura Bush. Not a topic I thought I would enjoy but I was pleasantly surprised as it is very well written and gives an interesting perspective of life inside the White House.

Now I'm getting stuck into Vernon God Little, a book that has been sitting on my book shelf for a very long time waiting to be read. I don't know what was putting me off it but now that I've started it's actually really humorous.

Next on the list is Kazuo Ishiguro's, Never Let Me Go which came recommended by a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FORTY

I just finished The Tesseract by Alex Garland. Far better than The Beach

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Finished The Time Traveler's Wife just yesterday. Overall it was a very good read, and the ending really moved me.

I've now begun reading something utterly different - American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm only 50 pages in, but already I'm very intrigued. Gaiman's style is very direct and minimalist, and the plotline, thus far, is totally unique - unlike anything I've come across before.
    Had started reading The Time Travellers Wife years ago but for some reason never got round to finishing it. Just found it the other day on the shelf so going tlo read it this week at some stage. I remember really enjoying reading it so no idea why I never finished it. Am having a little step back in time and revisiting the final Harry Potter book, I read it so quickly the first time just to see how it ended, have decided to re read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

1fahy4 wrote: »

Read it recently and really enjoyed it. Was a departure for me but I'm very glad to have read it.

I'm currently reading The Snowball: Warren Buffet and the Business of Life. Have to say I'm enjoying it. It's a long time since I've read a biography or autobiography and what better way to get back into them than with a monster - 800-odd pages!

Was re-reading The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins until one of my dogs did a number on it. It's still in prefectly readable condition but I'm a bit particular about my books. Have another copy now though so will pick up where I left off after The Snowball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Reading a Philip Roth novel - Operation Shylock. Bit meh at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Ploughing into 2666 by Roberto Bolano at the moment. Astonishing stuff, some of the prose is shocking in its intensity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Read it recently and really enjoyed it. Was a departure for me but I'm very glad to have read it.

Yeah, I'm about 150 pages in now and loving it. It's totally unlike anything I've ever read before. Think I'll read more of Gaiman's stuff in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Turnaround by George Pelecanos

Loving it, and also loving the fact I have found a new author [new to me!]

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CC23

A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks. Loving it so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MUTINEER

Infinity Blues -Ryan Adams,a book of poetry from the singer/songwriter/genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm mainly reading The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath.

Enjoying it so far. Don't know why I didn't read it before, it's quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

CC23 wrote: »
    A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks. Loving it so far!

You have to read the Notebook and the Wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MsMoo

Currently reading 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.
    It's a pretty entertaining read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Finished twilight last nite,starting new moon today.

Are you hooked yet?

Just about to start The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz. It's supposed to be pretty good, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Giving the twilight series a break this week and Im reading laced with magic by barbara bretton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

With the Ennis book club festival fast approaching I bought a copy of Thomas Lynch's "Aparitions and other late fiction". Very Raymond Carver in tone and feel, language is beautifully descriptive. First 2 stories are certainly good.
    Must dig out Claire Keegan's "Walk the blue fields" as well, a super writer and great collection.

Also reading "On writing" by Stephen King.
    Finished "2666" by Roberto Bolano recently. Not sure what I feel about it but I certainly enjoyed reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

that they may face the rising sun by john mc gahern.really enjoying it.very nice so far.a pleasure to read the words

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Satanic Verses - always wanted to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Dracula (Finally. It was a busy couple of weeks :o)

Just started The Road last night :)

Advertisement