Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jim butcher-Grave peril

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scillaria

The bonehunters-steven erikson its a reread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Stolen Village

The Persian Expedition - Xenophon

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Very good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Over Xmas I read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón 'Pure class' and also We need to talk about Kevin again by Lionel Shriver class read, both recommended here so I in turn am doing the same thing. Must reads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

About 2/3 through Papillon, was absolutely engrossed in it up untill I read this yesterday http://www.coopertoons.com/caricatures/henricharriere_papillon_bio.html

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I just finished "At Swim, Two Boys" last night by Jamie O'Neill.

Really astounding book, couldn't give it enough praise.

Takes a while to get into it but it's well worth it, the ending was truly heart wrenching stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Just had an epic readathon over christmas, read the secret scripture (Sebastian Barry) amazing has been on my to read list for a while. Then read Thriller edited by James Patterson ( collection of short stories). Got introduced to a number of new authors so looking forward to catching up with them - the first one will be James Rollins. I am currently reading the series of Stookie Stackhouse books on which the TV series True Blood is based I am on book four and I am loving the whole series -Twilight series with a kick! Will definately keep reading these books. Not sure what I will be reading after that but think it will be the new William Boyd one and then I have two Jonathon Kellermans to read also. Always looking for new reading experiences so have been enjoying all the posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (Michael Chabon)

I admit was a little daunted by the size of it at first, but I'm almost finished now and don't want it to end!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (Michael Chabon)

I admit was a little daunted by the size of it at first, but I'm almost finished now and don't want it to end!

Really enjoyed it, but thought that The Yiddish Policeman's Union was even better - you should give it a try. Would also recommend Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen - both long american books in a similar style.

• Advertisement

randomguy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it, but thought that The Yiddish Policeman's Union was even better - you should give it a try. Would also recommend Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen - both long american books in a similar style.

Thanks for the heads up on Yiddish Policeman's Union, I'll definitely check it out.

I also have The Corrections gathering dust on my bookshelf, started it a few months back but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another whirl some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Reading the True Blood books by Charlaine Harris... I'm reading Club Dead at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm currently reading 'Stardust' by Neil Gaiman. I've only really just started but a good start so far.

Neil Gaiman has an unbelievable way of describing the little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Almost finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga- Started off slow but really picks up momentum around the halfway point, i'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm reading The Damned United by David Peace. So far so interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Also read Damned Utd enjoyed it a very unusual style of writing

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

2666 by Roberto Bolano. Interesting book I'm going to follow with the Savage Detectives, also by Bolano.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

Now I've tucked into The Picture of Dorian Gray.

So far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

The Book Thief. Cannot understand why so many people recommended it to me. It's not well written and the narrative (so far) is almost twee in spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

Cadiz wrote: »
    The Book Thief. Cannot understand why so many people recommended it to me. It's not well written and the narrative (so far) is almost twee in spots.

Glad to hear this - read it before xmas and kept presuming it would get good, or interesting even, at some stage. It never did. I found the writing to be too clunky. Was almost as bad as that Striped Pajamas book that so many others seem to really like, but which I also found uninspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

just finished 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' its really good if you like crime thrillers
    of you dont then it might not be your cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

randomguy wrote: »
    Glad to hear this - read it before xmas and kept presuming it would get good, or interesting even, at some stage. It never did. I found the writing to be too clunky. Was almost as bad as that Striped Pajamas book that so many others seem to really like, but which I also found uninspiring.

Yeah, clunky is a very good word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Have taken a break from the True Blood books ( read five in a row). Am reading Evidence by Jonathon Kellerman.. Really not enjoying him as much as I used too. Not sure what has changed but this book is in no hurry to get read. I also found that with his last installment (True Detectives) which i started but didn't finish... Maybe all good things do come to an end. I think I have read all he has published!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I have started the first book in the sword of truth series by terry gookind
    The wizards first rule. its really good. Im only on th 9th chapter though so we'll see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've just started 'The Street Lawyer' by John Grisham. Exciting start to the book so I'm hoping for more of the same throughout.

Just finished The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness, the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy.

I know it's classified as Children's Fiction, but I would recommend this to readers of all ages.
    Any one who liked Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials novels will certainly enjoy it.
    It's the most exciting book I've read in quite a while and I cannot wait for the final instalment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Double Fault - Lionel Shriver

I might have to give We Need To Talk About Kevin another try after this - I found it insufferably boring the first time, but I'm really enjoying Double Fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SecondTime

I've been a bit re-miss in my posting here for past few weeks:o Anyhooo..during that time I've finished:

God's Own Country by Ross Raisin - very good, really well written too

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan - a bit disappointing really cos I expect so much more from him. As always it's very well written and parts of it are excellent and the idea is great but the plot becomes a bit unsatisfactory towards the end. If you've not read anything else he's written then it'll be fine

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave - total ****e

And I'm currently reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, so far excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

SecondTime wrote: »
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave - total ****e

I wholeheartedly agree - it's shocking.

Getting back into Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Picture of Dorian Gray. LOVED IT. One of my favourite novels. :D

Also read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which I found really, really weird. :o

Now I've just started 100 Years of Solitude. :)

Advertisement