Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Secret Scripture, by Sebastian Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Finished Black Lands by Belinda Bauer.
    Quality crime thriller, a very promising debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just Started The Guinesses- Joe Joyce

1/2 way through Ian Dury- Biography by Will Birch

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Nearly finished Somewhere South Of Midnight by Stephen Laws
    Starting The Stand by Stephen King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Who Killed Zebedee - a short story by Wilkie Collins. Would love to hear what anyone thought of The Woman In White?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Col!n

Halfway through The Resurrectionists by Michael Collins very good so far.
    When I finish that it's on to Disgrace by Coetzee.

Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton. Love it but it's depressing the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SecondTime

Col!n wrote: »
    Halfway through The Resurrectionists by Michael Collins very good so far.
    When I finish that it's on to Disgrace by Coetzee.

Disgrace is excellent, I've liked everything I've ready by Coetzee. Hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Just over a third of the way through Tolstoy's War and Peace. Excellent so far, interesting characters and themes yet it is surprisingly readable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ian8746

Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A Brilliant read from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

A Thousand Splendid Suns - I'm really enjoing it. I picked it up for €2 in a charity shop! I've yet to read The Kite Runner but it's next on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeru

Just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, by Stieg Larsson. Really enjoyable trilogy. Have just started on The Road and it has certainly caught my interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,824 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished 100 Years of Solitude. To be honest, I started to lose interest towards the end :(

Am now half way through Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. So far so good :D

It's nice reading the narration in Morgan Freeman's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cuz I can't read on the bus (my eyeballs hurt to the point of popping out), lately I've been listening to The Trial by Franz Kafka.

Quite intriguing. Always carries an air of suspense keeping you wondering what's gonna happen next. Can get a little tedious at times but for most part its very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee. Hadn't read it in about four years so I decided to do so again and I've been stuck in it all morning!! I'm trying to read it slowly so as to savour it though..

Also started reading The Great Gatsby last week... can't really get into it but it's been recommended so many times that I'll have to!

Read The DaVinci Code last week and I loved it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Currently reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or the murder at Road Hill House

Very disapointed can't wait to finish and start something new. I have a big list for when I go to the library.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,824 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Currently reading Dracula.

Now THAT'S how you write vampires!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭horseplay

Man in the dark -- Paul Auster

really enjoying it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Again I have been sucked into the authors I have been reading for such a long time. Just can't get away from the lure of James Patterson, his new offering Worst Case is actually very enjoyable and see the reintroduction of Patterson's newest leading man Michaal Bennett. Well worth the read. I have also read two from Karen Rose but to be honest am thinking of steering clear in the future. I have read Don't Tell which a follow on off the back story to one of her other books... okay but could have done without it to be fair. I also read Have You Seen Her by Karen Rose and this was a much better read - but on a very similar theme to all the other.. Professional woman becomes target of killer, falls in love with lead detective and thwarts the killer in the end.. All of her books follow the same well worn pattern and that is why I will not read any more ( or so I say now but will most probably buy the next one in the hope it is better.
    I also read this week, Lesley Pearse now book Stolen and really enjoyed it. She is a super story teller and you end up immersed in her worl albeit for a very short time but this is a great relaxation book - nothing too terrible and great for passing the time. I have also read this week the new book in the alphabet series by Sue Grafton we are now at U so only a few more to go. I have read the whole series and I love them. They only come out so infrequently it is always a treat to return to catch up with the characters - Kinsey and her 80 year old plus landlord Henry. Excellent. I have just start Wolf Hall and hear that is a fantastic read so looking forward to getting into it. Also very sad to hear of the passing of Dick Francis, another one of my long time favourite authors. I think I will have to revisit some of his books over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan

I have attempted to read this a number of times but always get distracted, so I'm focussing solely on this for the moment. I have to admit, I've just started it, but I'm really enjoying it!

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. I heart Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Just finished "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. Started slow but the violence comes thick and fast towards the end. Will Definitely be reading more of his stuff in the future. Started reading "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. Very good read and completely different to the film. Also listening to an audio book "The elegant universe" by Brian Greene. Essentially it's an introduction to string theory

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Having read the first 7 books of the dresden files by jim butcher,I have decided to take a break from that series and start on twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

This week I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Just finished Brooklyn by Colm Toibín. Very nice story. Am finishing Dome by Stephen King. As always with King I find the psychological bits and the dialogue sympathetic, the general mayhem bits leave me a bit cold.

But a return to form. After than possibly some popular science book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Col!n

SecondTime wrote: »
    Disgrace is excellent, I've liked everything I've ready by Coetzee. Hope you enjoy it!

Disgrace was brilliant, bloody depressing but brilliant all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

p to the e wrote: »
    Just finished "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. Started slow but the violence comes thick and fast towards the end. Will Definitely be reading more of his stuff in the future. Started reading "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. Very good read and completely different to the film. Also listening to an audio book "The elegant universe" by Brian Greene. Essentially it's an introduction to string theory

Great book, how they managed to mess that up, I suppose the cgi and fluffy ending didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Just finished Kafka's trial and now started Lord of the Rings, the first book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

kerash wrote: »
    This week I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha.
    I loved this book. Hauntingly beautiful. Enjoy!

Advertisement