Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Q & A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Had level 5s for a while now. Been keeping track and finding these general rules of thumb.

In general each pop past 12/13 takes about 16-18 "sessions" these are either Team Training or L5 Individual training.

Swap out the L5 for L4, that number seems to increase to about 20.

Below 12/13 rating, pops can come thick and fast, maybe dropping to about 10-12 sessions depending on "double ups" in your individual schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Agility seems the slowest to train by a long way, it seems the IGT for agility is very low considering the popping rates of other skills on the same level and number of sessions. The more used skills like Stamina, handling, attack and defence pop much quicker due to IGT, probably also goes to show that these are the 4 key skills used most in the Match Engine calculations. I find kicking actually pops quiet fast, on a par with say speed but that's probably down to player position also as my kickers tend to play either S/H, F/H or F/B so they get plenty of ME calculations involving kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Phonehead wrote: »
    Agility seems the slowest to train by a long way

Agility pops just as fast as other skills for my trainees. I think sometimes it can be just down to the player as i always find some players get 'stuck' on certain skills for no apparent reason.

Agility pops just as fast as other skills for my trainees. I think sometimes it can be just down to the player as i always find some players get 'stuck' on certain skills for no apparent reason.

Maybe Mustard just isn't agile, I know J says there is no impact regarding player BMI on agility but he is proof that something is up regarding agility training on fat players

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

That defo happens. I had one of my u20 prospects take 23 games, 21 team sessions (no doubles), 4 Level 4 and 17 Level 5 sessions (also no doubles) to get a pop from 11 to 12 in handling!

It really put him behind in his training on such a key skill. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Is there an ideal number of sessions to allocate to each player per week when training? Or is it just a case of the more the merrier? Would 6 sessions in one week produce the same results as two sessions per week over a three week period?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Is there an ideal number of sessions to allocate to each player per week when training? Or is it just a case of the more the merrier? Would 6 sessions in one week produce the same results as two sessions per week over a three week period?

Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the overlap in training is the only thing that'll reduce the effectiveness (think someone listed the exact percentages above.)
    So if you give him 2 speed trainings, I think you get 175% in one week (again, exact % above.) Otherwise, different training slots will give you 100%. Don't think the amount of different training slots effect each other. One thing to keep in mind is the energy hit you'll take, so bare that in mind if you're also planning to send lads out for matches.
    So you can train all 10 without any negative effect other than energy. (Though again, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the overlap in training is the only thing that'll reduce the effectiveness (think someone listed the exact percentages above.)
    So if you give him 2 speed trainings, I think you get 175% in one week (again, exact % above.) Otherwise, different training slots will give you 100%. Don't think the amount of different training slots effect each other. One thing to keep in mind is the energy hit you'll take, so bare that in mind if you're also planning to send lads out for matches.
    So you can train all 10 without any negative effect other than energy. (Though again, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yeah, the other thing to bear in mind on the energy front is team training, having 3 instead of 4 sessions does have a big effect on team energy -have only ever used it once though before a playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

On energy saving, there's really no difference on energy in a player getting 10 sessions or getting 7, if you're ever trying to save energy for a final or something there's no point reducing sessions unless you're dropping it to about 5 or less. I found out the hard way last season.

cclampett wrote: »
    On energy saving, there's really no difference on energy in a player getting 10 sessions or getting 7, if you're ever trying to save energy for a final or something there's no point reducing sessions unless you're dropping it to about 5 or less. I found out the hard way last season.

Yes it's just reducing the team training sessions that is likely to have any significant effect. From the Docs:
    Documents wrote:
    This also means that every player in your squad will suffer a small reduction to their energy levels. Each session has a larger effect on energy than the last:

Session 1: 10%
    Session 2: 20%
    Session 3: 30%
    Session 4: 40%

Totalling 100% for all 4 sessions

• Advertisement

Oooo, that's interesting, didn't realise there was that breakdown in team training energy usage. Innnnteresting.

I don't think there is any concrete evidence on the exact reduction of impact per additional training session per skill! I've seem some U20's get 3 or more sessions on a skill and the rate that their individual skill grows by points me to think the reduction is not as large as people are led to believe. Personally however I'm all about balanced players, I think a balanced player is vastly superior to 2 or 3 skill wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

I don't think there is any concrete evidence on the exact reduction of impact per additional training session per skill! I've seem some U20's get 3 or more sessions on a skill and the rate that their individual skill grows by points me to think the reduction is not as large as people are led to believe. Personally however I'm all about balanced players, I think a balanced player is vastly superior to 2 or 3 skill wonders.

with zim havent had a winger last season who had 17 speed by age 18 i dont the reduction is as significant as people think either. tho his manager went bot(reckon it was a multi as a manager in the clubrooms said he put a load of speed on someone) hes not in the squad anymore he was one of the stars even tho he was a one skill wonder carton isles we called him

Is contentment change based purely on the relative ranking between teams or does stuff such as placing in the league playoffs etc. have an effect?

Just curious. I've been beating teams in the 58-59 ranking bracket for the last few weeks now, and the contentment has just hovered near the 50% area. The only thing to make it go higher was a cup win last week. This week's cup win has brought the contentment up to "thrilled" but the team was another 59 rating point job (albeit a superior team in terms of CSR)

Just a wee bit curious about it now.

whats your rating? and were you home or away? being home adds 3 to your ranking

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

Is contentment change based purely on the relative ranking between teams or does stuff such as placing in the league playoffs etc. have an effect?

Just curious. I've been beating teams in the 58-59 ranking bracket for the last few weeks now, and the contentment has just hovered near the 50% area. The only thing to make it go higher was a cup win last week. This week's cup win has brought the contentment up to "thrilled" but the team was another 59 rating point job (albeit a superior team in terms of CSR)

Just a wee bit curious about it now.

its largely based on ranking, that is that the expectations of those members is based on ranking as such, far as their concerned ranking (taking home advantage into account as seanand mentioned) is a true representation between the teams and so when you play a lower ranked team you're expected to win and a higher ranked team you're expected to lose.

while the exchange of ranking can serve as a rough guide, it in no way reflects the changes to member contentment, when you make a small gain in points from beating a much lower opponent the fans aren't exactly happy about it, but if you lost they'd be pissed! getting through to a further cup round has a larger impact than league games which increases in each round, and playoffs are similar.

By being the highest ranked in your league, they expect you to win everything. any good days you give them will soon be forgotten about. Contentment always moves toward 50 at day change, with rapid movement at the highest and lowest extremes.

Final thing is intensity. a loss is a loss to fans so it doesn't matter there, winning by going balls out gives them a serious thrill, but winning on wnwim doesn't exactly do much for them.

If you promote at the end of the season, it will skyrocket, demote and it will plummet (ok intensity wasn't the final thing)

Agility seems the slowest to train by a long way, it seems the IGT for agility is very low considering the popping rates of other skills on the same level and number of sessions. The more used skills like Stamina, handling, attack and defence pop much quicker due to IGT, probably also goes to show that these are the 4 key skills used most in the Match Engine calculations. I find kicking actually pops quiet fast, on a par with say speed but that's probably down to player position also as my kickers tend to play either S/H, F/H or F/B so they get plenty of ME calculations involving kicking.

....... So as I am training an outhalf for U20s, should I use higher kicking % than would otherwise be sensible, i.e. will using the higher % kicking give him more IGT in kicking and more pops!

seanand wrote: »
    whats your rating? and were you home or away? being home adds 3 to your ranking
    cclampett wrote: »
    getting through to a further cup round has a larger impact than league games which increases in each round, and playoffs are similar.

Ah, combination of an away win and a cup win so. Having zero luck with the home draws this cup, so here's hoping for another boost! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Quick question, just wondering, what would people think would be a good average defence rating within a team to have a decent 3rd division defence? I'm not sure how individual ratings transform to stars, but on average say 12 /13 for every player on the team would be good enough for Div 3, or are you talking higher, 14 / 15 maybe?

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Quick question, just wondering, what would people think would be a good average defence rating within a team to have a decent 3rd division defence? I'm not sure how individual ratings transform to stars, but on average say 12 /13 for every player on the team would be good enough for Div 3, or are you talking higher, 14 / 15 maybe?

Well I have set 12 as a minimum to make the team, probably most are 13, with a handful of 14/15

• Advertisement

new line of taught, that the attack skills should be higher than the def skills. i know my team is more based around def than attack then most skills are used for both in some way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Zagato wrote: »
    Well I have set 12 as a minimum to make the team, probably most are 13, with a handful of 14/15

much in line with Zagato, for 3rd division i'd have around 12 as minimum, but from 10 onwards is OK for the odd player if they bring something else to the mix. ie high strentgh and tech or weight etc.

aim for 12, but the odd exception is ok.

I'd be similar. 12 is what I'm aiming for as a baseline, but 10 is the real minimum. Below 10 and they're never going to feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just a question on distribution of coaches, what do people think the optimum ones to employ are if you're not focusing on any specific area, but overall team training, if you were to have 2 defence, 2 attack, 1 fitness and 1 kicking, would that be a waste of money as you will always have 1 coach doing nothing? Which is the easiest one to leave out?

Do most teams employ all coach types anyway and just use the ones they need whenever they need them?

I have 2 Attack, 2 defence, 1 Stamina and 1 kicking, I find I need them all as I change training regularly for my 3 trainees

I have 2 Attack, 2 defence, 1 Stamina and 1 kicking, I find I need them all as I change training regularly for my 3 trainees

I've the same.

I know a lot of managers don't bother with a kicking coach as it's usually just a few players, but I like to have a lot of options.

I've the same.

Ditto

Can't justify level 5 for stamina and kicking though

Have lvl5 2 att and 2 def with 1 lvl4 stam and kick but will be getting one more lvl5 trainer instaed of the kicker when my current trainees done

That's a good idea. If you have similar aged SH/OH/FB you could make good use of a kicking coach while training them, you'd only need him maybe 4 out of 10 seasons?

• Advertisement

Well have 3 possible u20 players so have 3kicking on my s20 guys who has 14 kicking already so he'll be my main player for a long time

Advertisement