Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire magazine's "100 Greatest Games" list

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I know I'm right about conker. I'd even go so far as to say the humour isn't even funny and just juvenile nonsense.

And do you know how I know I'm right? Go play the swimming sections again and see if you don't chew the controller cord in frustration. That is if you can get to them after surviving the banal gameplay and seizure inducing framerate.

You can equate that same terminology to every game, In certain sections of Mario64 the camera kills the enjoyment. Does it make it a bad game no because nostalgia erases all the negatives of a great game and only leaves the positives. I've recently got back into gaming on the Saturn. A lot of games i've played haven't lived up to the expectations I had from memory. However the gameplay still shines through in the really good games regardless of the limitations of the machine or the controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tifosi 1 wrote: »

In my experience

Donkey Kong Country is better than Super Mario Bros 3
    Banjo Kazooie is equally as good as Mario 64
    Conkers Bad Fur Day is better than Mario 64 because of its humour. Always found that Mario 64 got boring after a few hours. Give me Mario Kart over a Mario platformer any day.
    Diddy Kong Racing/Donkey Kong 64/Killer Instinct were **** no question about that.

Oh Dear, well, at least Retro won't be ranting at me for a while, not while you have set a far bigger cat amongst the pigeons!

I actually loved Diddy Kong Racing, mainly because of the fact it was a far stronger single player game and I loved the variations of vehicle in the game, also the snowy levels felt so darn christmassy, and I really love christmas!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh Dear, well, at least Retro won't be ranting at me for a while, not while you have set a far bigger cat amongst the pigeons!

I actually loved Diddy Kong Racing, mainly because of the fact it was a far stronger single player game and I loved the variations of vehicle in the game, also the snowy levels felt so darn christmassy, and I really love christmas!

I wish I could saying that I made those comments to cause controversy but I really do feel that way about those games. Nintendo have made some truly exceptional games but a lot of their so-so games get tagged as being classics but to me they are very average e.g all Zelda games, Super Smash Bros series, all Pokemon games, Starfox games, Kirby games, Anything with Wii in the title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now now, we'll not be cast aspersions about Kirby, that little pink guy was and heck is awesome!
    Kirbys Dreamland on the NES is every bit the technical tour de force that SMB3 is, and Kirby games on the GB, GBC and GBA were all great too!
    As for Star Wing/Fox, I really liked the Snes game and the N64 title too, not so sure about the GC game, but that was never a "real" Starfox game now was it? Nope it's an adaptation of another nearly finished game Dinosaur Planet or something.
    Didn't like the DS game, fair enough.
    And you'll simply have to take back what you've said about Zelda, or the mods will ban you! Zelda OoT is the best game ever, no questions and Links Awakening, Link to the Past, Minish Cap, the Seasons series on the GBC, Majoras Mask and Wind Waker have all been the best in class in each hardware generation. Sony and MS would give their right nut to have titles as brilliant on their machines, make no mistake.
    Pokemon is simply a phenomenon, and I believe Yellow is one of the best, and as for Super Smash Bros, for simple fun, with mates gathered around, or in my case a 6 year old, there is few games better.
    Wii Tap is pretty good too, so is Wii Music, in it's own way.
    Dude you're even harsher that Retro, wtf?

Also, my biggest surprise/disappointment on the N64, Beetle Adventure Racing, from my guess it's what the Need For Speed team did on the N64 when they realised they couldn't put a proper NFS title on the system, it's ok but just shows up where the N64's limits really lie.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now now, we'll not be cast aspersions about Kirby, that little pink guy was and heck is awesome!
    Kirbys Dreamland on the NES is every bit the technical tour de force that SMB3 is, and Kirby games on the GB, GBC and GBA were all great too!
    As for Star Wing/Fox, I really liked the Snes game and the N64 title too, not so sure about the GC game, but that was never a "real" Starfox game now was it? Nope it's an adaptation of another nearly finished game Dinosaur Planet or something.
    Didn't like the DS game, fair enough.
    And you'll simply have to take back what you've said about Zelda, or the mods will ban you! Zelda OoT is the best game ever, no questions and Links Awakening, Link to the Past, Minish Cap, the Seasons series on the GBC, Majoras Mask and Wind Waker have all been the best in class in each hardware generation. Sony and MS would give their right nut to have titles as brilliant on their machines, make no mistake.
    Pokemon is simply a phenomenon, and I believe Yellow is one of the best, and as for Super Smash Bros, for simple fun, with mates gathered around, or in my case a 6 year old, there is few games better.
    Wii Tap is pretty good too, so is Wii Music, in it's own way.
    Dude you're even harsher that Retro, wtf?

Also, my biggest surprise/disappointment on the N64, Beetle Adventure Racing, from my guess it's what the Need For Speed team did on the N64 when they realised they couldn't put a proper NFS title on the system, it's ok but just shows up where the N64's limits really lie.

Ciderman your entitled to your views on Zelda and so am I. You like them I don't. Lets not turn this into the Halo nonsense we saw earlier in this thread. Isn't the Tap game called Let's Tap and it's made by an ex Sega man. As for Wii Music come on, even your 6 yr old can see that's it a load of excrement.

The biggest disappointment on the N64 for me was the amount of games that used that horrible fog effect. I think South Park 64 was the worst but there are many many other culprits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    I wish I could saying that I made those comments to cause controversy but I really do feel that way about those games. Nintendo have made some truly exceptional games but a lot of their so-so games get tagged as being classics but to me they are very average e.g all Zelda games, Super Smash Bros series, all Pokemon games, Starfox games, Kirby games, Anything with Wii in the title.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Brawl were very good games. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wink Waker, and Twilight Princess were very good games. Lylat Wars was a very good game.

Diddy Kong Racing had more depth than Mario Kart 64 in that it had an actual inventive single-player compared to the Mario Kart series' Grand Prix. I prefer Mario Kart 64 for its multiplayer, though. Still, I don't see any justification for labeling Diddy Kong Racing a bad game.

Donkey Kong 64 was a decent game. It just didn't show us anything we didn't see before. The Donkey Kong Country series was great (specially, the cart levels: great way to inject some speed into a 2D platformer). Banjo-Kazooie was a very good platformer. Conker's Bad Fur Day had a charm of its own and was a good platformer, which wasn't a Mario-clone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I mean Banjo Kazooie is close to Mario 64 but definitely not better in my opinion. I'd never play banjo kazooie again while Mario 64 I'll always go back to.

However Donkey Kong Country better than Mario 3? I don't think so. DKC is one of those games like Goldeneye were nostalgia has really clouded some peoples judgement. It was amazing when it came out but now that the digitised graphics look fake and plasticy the game underneath is really quite plain. I know that for all the contributers on retronauts it's a bit of a running joke.

I find Conkers Bad Fur Day really over hyped. I just didn't find it fun outside of the humour and found most of the humour crude although there were some inspired gems.

Can't get your criticism of nintendo games either. Zelda for me is by far the best games series ever with some of the greatest games ever. Starfox is still great despite awful graphics now and starfox 64 is excellent. After that I'll pretend the other games didn't happen. Smash Bros. sometimes doesn't appeal to some players so I'll givr you that despite me loving it. The old kirby games I love their only fault is that they are too easy. Dreamland can't be faulted imo. As for Pokemon, unless you hate JRPGs you can't hate pokemon. It's by far and away one of the greatest JRPGs ever with plenty of charm, humour and probably the best battle system in the genre.

As for Beetle Adventure Racing, remember I said I'd try Yoshi's Story. Well I ended up playing beetle adventure racing instead. What a fantastic game. Unfortunately I haven't a copy of conkers myself at the moment so can't try it but i remember not being impressed. Perhaps it's just my sense of humour, crude humour doesn't do it for me unless it's particularly shocking or the timing is right.

I guess Beetle Adventure Racing disappointed because it could have been done so much better on the PS, the N64 was simply not cut out to shift polygons that way.
    Must dig it out and give it a whirl again, it's been a while.
    The only N64 racing game I remember enjoying was Top Gear Overdrive, and it was good, but only relative to other racing games on the N64, couldn't hold a candle to racing titles on either the PS, Total Drivin' by Eutechnyx, GT by Sony etc., or the Saturn for that matter, with Sega Rally, Daytona and Manx TT.
    Remember the crap mess that was RidgeRacer on the N64, then they had the cheek to bring it to the DS? or Wipeout64? At least in Wipeout64 they attempted to bring a few new tracks to the mix, but the pop-up was simply horrendous.

Advertisement