Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss Zavvi....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Even at that I have my doubts as to how many of them are occupied.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

New shop called "Weapons" apparently to open this friday according to a banner in the Zavvi window yesterday.
    Between that and a Pawn shop opening on John Street, Kilkenny has now officially got it made... (site of the old map shop, as if that wasn't a sign of the times)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Pretty sure Weapons is an exhibition of weapons themed art, as opposed to a shop actually selling weapons....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Pretty sure Weapons is an exhibition of weapons themed art, as opposed to a shop actually selling weapons....

Correct, here it is: http://www.blaisesmith.com/weapons/

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Is there really going to be a pawn shop on John Street? It'll be pimps and crack ho's next. Or an actual Weapons shop.

At least O'Gorman's is getting a lick of paint at the moment. That'll help brighten John Street up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threadhead wrote: »
    Is there really going to be a pawn shop on John Street? It'll be pimps and crack ho's next. Or an actual Weapons shop.

At least O'Gorman's is getting a lick of paint at the moment. That'll help brighten John Street up a bit.

Pawn shop already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Threadhead wrote: »

cos they're not in Kilkenny already:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Firetrap wrote: »
    Even at that I have my doubts as to how many of them are occupied.

I think they sold them off at Half price there last Autumn or thereabouts. I thought at the time there was huge interest and they sold out fairly quickly.

Must be an absolute sickener for those that payed full whack for them initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Jesus but those lads with the feckin moisturisers/cleansers or whatever there on the stand outside River Island are a pain in the neck. You just know as you're approaching them that they're going to be all up in your face "would you like to try blah blah...". Eh, no, I just want to go to Dunnes actually, no moisturiser required. I know they're only trying to earn a living, but they're very insistent which is just too much. After I had said "no thank you" yesterday, he said "can I just have a look at your nails, do you paint them???" as I walked away a la someone trying to avoid a stalker.

GO AWAY!!

It would nearly put me off walking down that way anymore, only really go into TKMaxx anyway so I'll just go to River Island when I'm in Dublin or something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cobrastarship

Ollchailin wrote: »
    Jesus but those lads with the feckin moisturisers/cleansers or whatever there on the stand outside River Island are a pain in the neck. You just know as you're approaching them that they're going to be all up in your face "would you like to try blah blah...". Eh, no, I just want to go to Dunnes actually, no moisturiser required. I know they're only trying to earn a living, but they're very insistent which is just too much. After I had said "no thank you" yesterday, he said "can I just have a look at your nails, do you paint them???" as I walked away a la someone trying to avoid a stalker.

GO AWAY!!

It would nearly put me off walking down that way anymore, only really go into TKMaxx anyway so I'll just go to River Island when I'm in Dublin or something!!
    ya there some pain in the ass they where the same ones that where there in xmas 08 pain in the ass

• Advertisement

Good job that "weapons" is only an exhibition or else real weapons would be put quickly into use on exiting the shop...
    Gloria Jean's Coffee is closed too by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

GO AWAY!!

Oh no! Don't tell me they're back again. Even if you walk past as physically far away from them as you can get, they're still in your face.

Gloria Jean's is gone a week or two now. Still no taker for the unit with "Hot food outlet" wanted.

They had right to get in a cheap fast food place or two. They went in for akind of "high-brow" coffee drinking brigade in that so-called "food court" and it has been a disaster in my opinion.

I was up in Newbridge the other evening. And there is no comparison. It is what MacDonagh could and should ahve been had they got the tenant mix right. The funny thing the two share a lot of the same tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cobrastarship

its kilkenny remanber they never do anything right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

its kilkenny remanber they never do anything right

Yes, but for the most part we "remanber" to spell properly.

Anyway, yes they are the same people that were there around Christmas. Wreck the heads of the highest order.

There's a sign in the window opposite where the bag shop was that the unit is booked... the one that was earmarked for esprit? (beside tom tailor).
    Gloria jeans still had their router on as I was using the wifi there a few days ago :)
    Without zavvi the place gets my attention for about 14 seconds... crapola stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

GO AWAY!!

It was them and the -417 people [they were in the stall outside Dunnes that 3 now uses for displays] last Christmas and they were both the same way. And the fact that they would actually follow you as well. People should complain to the Junction owners/Managers and let them know those sellers are putting you off going there.

Market Cross also had similar problems with charities or whoever following people into the car park. Once the issue was raised on KCLR it was quickly dealt with.

Licksy wrote: »
    There's a sign in the window opposite where the bag shop was that the unit is booked... the one that was earmarked for esprit? (beside tom tailor).
    Gloria jeans still had their router on as I was using the wifi there a few days ago :)
    Without zavvi the place gets my attention for about 14 seconds... crapola stuff.

I was in there yday and was fairly sure it said "Unit under offer" or something like that slapped across the windows.

HMV opened in Newbridge; in a former Zavvi outlet..why the hell could they not have been enticed into MacDonagh? The shop always seemed pretty busy to me and was all very well stocked.

mfitzy wrote: »
    I was in there yday and was fairly sure it said "Unit under offer" or something like that slapped across the windows.

HMV opened in Newbridge; in a former Zavvi outlet..why the hell could they not have been enticed into MacDonagh? The shop always seemed pretty busy to me and was all very well stocked.

Units have closed and rumours of further units closing are around (but I don't trust the rumour mill). What would turn off any shop going in there is if the other companies that have units in there were in trouble, this would turn off any retailer moving in. If HMV moved in there, I think they'd clean up and give the whole centre a much needed boost because at the moment there is nothing to drag me (and I reckon the majority of people) over there.

Total chicken and egg scenario. But I blame the management early on; wrong mix of tenants and failure to keep up a momentum of new stores. And having a good store like Zavvi and not replacing it was madness in my view.
    The amount of people I know that used especially go in there for Zavvi and now don't bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Here's what would save McDonagh Junction:
    Leave River Island, TK Max, Next, Chemist and Claires Accessories(for the teeny bopper in you).
    Rip the rest out
    Put in: Tesco instead of Dunnes. HMV, H&M, a few other middle of the range clothes shops (A Wear, New Look etc), a penneys for those of us with kiddies, maybe leave Barratts there but throw another shoe shop into the mix. A nice homeware shop. Kids Activity/Toy shop like Byrnes or something. Book Shop and a few small quirky units (health shop etc)

As for the food court, take out all the overpriced awful "cafes". Put in a large communal eating area in the middle and put in about 10 different food units, i.e Diep Noodle Bar, Pizza Hut, Waga Mama, Sandwich Bar, carvery Unit etc..

If this is what was available at McDonagh they definitely wouldnt be in any trouble, but I suppose it's too late now, budget gone, tenants rent in arrears etc.. They really should've consulted me first:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jeege wrote: »
    Put in: Tesco instead of Dunnes. HMV, H&M, a few other middle of the range clothes shops (A Wear, New Look etc), a penneys for those of us with kiddies, maybe leave Barratts there but throw another shoe shop into the mix. A nice homeware shop. Kids Activity/Toy shop like Byrnes or something. Book Shop and a few small quirky units (health shop etc)

:confused: It already has a book shop and a health food shop.

Leave River Island, TK Max, Next, Chemist and Claires Accessories(for the teeny bopper in you).
    Rip the rest out

As for the food court, take out all the overpriced awful "cafes". Put in a large communal eating area in the middle and put in about 10 different food units, i.e Diep Noodle Bar, Pizza Hut, Waga Mama, Sandwich Bar, carvery Unit etc..

If this is what was available at McDonagh they definitely wouldnt be in any trouble, but I suppose it's too late now, budget gone, tenants rent in arrears etc.. They really should've consulted me first:P

Having Dunnes as anchor tennant was a pretty big boo boo, at least if you had tescos (or someone else) it would have brought people over there. Free parking could be another option.

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Free parking could be another option.

+ 1 when they had the first two hours free deal you saw an increase of people going there and the minute they got rid of it there was a massive drop. While I'm not crazy about alot of the shops in there other then the health food shop that sells vegan rashers when the parking was free I would meet people there for tea and a chat rather then going into town. Plus if there's events on like arts shows and craft fairs you need free parking to get people to come to them.

Rip the rest out

Thats exactly it! A Food Court should be a Food Court i.e. offer all different types of food for different budgets; not the Coffee crap that is mainly on offer over there.

Your idea is very like Newbridge and it seems to have been a resounding success.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

..a few other middle of the range clothes shops (A Wear, New Look etc)

FYI A|Wear have recently opened up in Good's on High street.

Tom Tailor shop seems to have been "left" as it was from what I could see. Still clothes on display. Seems a bit unusual.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Tom Tailor shop seems to have been "left" as it was from what I could see. Still clothes on display. Seems a bit unusual.

All their stores are like that, just saw the one in Jervis street closed but everything still in the shop, even the lights were still on. The company is gone into administration or something and it's not clear whats happening yet.

ztoical wrote: »
    All their stores are like that, just saw the one in Jervis street closed but everything still in the shop, even the lights were still on. The company is gone into administration or something and it's not clear whats happening yet.

Maybe it might be taken over ? A big might though I'm sure. It was a franchise of the German parent I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

totally agree with everyone on Dunnes. bad move, why did they close parliment st to open there? they did €12000 in first couple of hours of opening and recently talking to an employee they are doing sh1te now. clearly though. its pure monopolizing. god forbid we have a decent competitive supermarket.

outfit in dunnes for my 3y.o was €30, similiar in penneys was €15. no brainer and quaility was similiar.

definately the food court needs a BK. like someone said id single handedly help eat the place into profit.

zavvi is a big loss, we can only hope for a hmv or similiar.

as for the bag shop, un-needed, waste of space! theres one down town

Champion pay more in rent for their MDJ shop then their Grafton St one :eek::eek::eek: but are not closing anytime soon. they have serious targets for their staff to meet which seem unrealistic... and theyre sales arent a patch on other similiar shops down the town.

anyone else think TK Maxx is a bit rubbish? its not a shop id frequent. only seem to go there with something in mind, no impulse buys cause of the lack of stock consistancy

no toilets anywhere handy either

Advertisement