Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss Zavvi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

a KFC in the food court would make me extremely happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They need to get more shops in there fast. Even if they're only pound shops or a Heatons type set-up. How about a DVD rental place? Argos? A decent shoe shop. Something like Khan's Books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I'd love it if HMV opened in there, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

a KFC in the food court would make me extremely happy
    Really? There's a Kilkenny Fried Chicken on the ringpiece road though. Do we need another one?

What they don't need in the 'food court' is yet another insomnia or mocha beans or [insert generic overpriced café that only serves prepacked sandwiches and paninis]. Ever been to the Epicurean Food Hall on Abbey street?? Watch and learn, kids. That place rocks. Mexican, Italian, Asian, Turkish grub etc etc... all under a roof about one third the size of the one in Mac Donagh J.

But I'll bet they'll fill it up with Starbucks's and O Briends sandwich bar. And no one will eat there. Except people who want overpriced pre-packed sandwiches, Pat the dickhole baker bread and food that ends in 'nini'.

MFitzy, I don't think they CARE what we want. THEY want money for rent to cover their (I'm sure) unhealthy financial situation. They won't get this cause decent outlets won't touch it cause they heard it's a disaster of a place (and the rent is too high anyway)... so what happens? More outlets close... place becomes even more of a disaster, outlets steer clear... the cycle continues....

They need to let all the shops in there for half nothing to stimulate the place. heh heh...stimulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

A greasy food joint would be great. Im really not digging the whole over priced coffeys vibe going on over there. And Eddie Rockets does not count, 12e for a burger, coke and fries is beyond a joke.

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Really? There's a Kilkenny Fried Chicken on the ringpiece road though. Do we need another one?

there can never be too many KFCs.

They wouldn't want to have KFC drive-through in McDoughnut Junction. Any car that stops in the place has to pay for parking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

who said burger king is cheap?? its the king of burger joints! i personally would keep the shopping centre goin if they opened up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TheGodson

First post, so bear with me.. :). I agree to a certain extent with everything said here, but I also remember when Market Cross opened up first, there was a lot of criticism about it as well, why did they do this, why did they do that etc etc..

I think MacDonagh Junction opened up at a bad time, but at least it opened up - it could potentially be a great asset for Kilkenny in the future, when the economic situation evens out a bit. In fairness, they seem to try different things to try and get people in, and I'd say it will only be a matter of time before rents will have to come down, if that's part of the problem. I've rarely been in there when it's 'empty', but that god damn awful music should be turned down - it sounds like an old transistor radio gone mental! Zavvi was unfortunate, Dunnes a disaster, but I would have preferred an M&S over Tesco any day (I'm not a Tesco fan though..)

Next seems to be doing ok, as does TK Maxx, Tom Tailor going into liquidation doesn't surprise me - they really didn't have a lot in there.. or any of their shops. I was surprised they opened, but I'd say they might be 'taken over'.

I think it's important to try and be positive in the situation we find ourselves in economically. MacDonagh Junction and Market Cross will continue to suffer for the moment, but could be an important source of employment in the future, when some element of confidence returns. We should try and support them both (remember they're local!!) in every little way that we can, rather than supporting the economies of other surrounding towns.

Thanks for bearing with me - hope to continue with a few more posts that interest me in the future

(Note: I'm not affiliated with either, and I don't work in either of the centres - just personal opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I heard champion sports is closing down now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

TheGodson wrote:
    In fairness, they seem to try different things

How is having clothing stores selling virtually the same thing [overpriced club wear] tons of coffee shops topped with Dunnes that is every inferior to the Kieran's St one trying different things? There's no variety in there and they wonder why nobody goes in there.
    And Eddie Rockets does not count, 12e for a burger, coke and fries is beyond a joke.

Eddie Rocket's is a nice place though. I ate in there twice. I definitely agree you wouldn't go in there on a spur of the moment though. Their opening did seem to increase the number of people going into the Junction though.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. Their selection is poor compared to Elvery's. I know one of the girls that works there that used to work at Porters. If I see her I'll ask if she knows anything.

Agree with your point about variety needed, I think we will see some initiatives in the future - it will be essential for success let alone survival!

When I referred to 'different things' being tried, I didn't mean the shops, I means the different events that they organise which some people do actually attend and enjoy.

I don't agree with your point about 'overpriced clubwear'. That hasn't been my experience, and as I'm in my 30's and married, I don't go looking for Clubwear anyway..:D

One small other point though - if "nobody" went or is going in there, the centre would have closed long ago. People are going in, they may have curtailed their spending, but factors external to the numbers of people going in to the centre have been responsible for the closing of shops. These same shops have closed in other centres nationwide too - it not just a local issue.

As I said an earlier post, I agree with a lot of what was said, and macDonagh Junction should read what's in this thread and another, but I also feel that it should be supported, and not bashed at every opportunity for their actions and choices which are largely comercially driven - everything is these days.

If anyone knows people working in the centre, maybe a good idea would be to pass on the word that the centre needs to listen to what local people want, and have a "big" comments box where people can tell them. At the moment, they're a bit out of touch with the real people of the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TheGodson wrote: »
    First post, so bear with me.. :). I agree to a certain extent with everything said here, but I also remember when Market Cross opened up first, there was a lot of criticism about it as well, why did they do this, why did they do that etc etc..

Market Cross is hardly much better. Though its design is better as it fits more shops but strange having an outdoor style shopping center in Ireland! Mind I dont recall when it opened first time but looking at it now its a strange development and offers very little. Though I have a different view on what a shopping center should be like - we have a Market Cross type area here in Waterford.
    I think MacDonagh Junction opened up at a bad time, but at least it opened up - it could potentially be a great asset for Kilkenny in the future, when the economic situation evens out a bit. In fairness, they seem to try different things to try and get people in, and I'd say it will only be a matter of time before rents will have to come down, if that's part of the problem. I've rarely been in there when it's 'empty', but that god damn awful music should be turned down - it sounds like an old transistor radio gone mental! Zavvi was unfortunate, Dunnes a disaster, but I would have preferred an M&S over Tesco any day (I'm not a Tesco fan though..)

The problem with MacDonagh is that, while it has(d) potential, its a huge open space with unusual large stores. It offered, from the start, very little in terms of retail units anyway. Some stores will close because lack of passing trade and others because the company itself will go down the swanny. Everytime I go in its very quiet. There is always going to be people there but this place is more quiet then normal for a shopping center. In addition, sure things should improve in the future but it doesnt offer much units to compare with the likes of Mahon Point SC.
    Next seems to be doing ok, as does TK Maxx, Tom Tailor going into liquidation doesn't surprise me - they really didn't have a lot in there.. or any of their shops. I was surprised they opened, but I'd say they might be 'taken over'.

TK Maxx is a recession store - of course it will do well. Next is a very popular store in general so it should survive. Tom Tailor was only open before it went, but thats not really the fault of MacDonagh.
    I think it's important to try and be positive in the situation we find ourselves in economically. MacDonagh Junction and Market Cross will continue to suffer for the moment, but could be an important source of employment in the future, when some element of confidence returns. We should try and support them both (remember they're local!!) in every little way that we can, rather than supporting the economies of other surrounding towns.

Technically, there not local! MacDonagh offers very little for people to go there - Market Cross needs a revamp and could be an excellent source for shopping in Kilkenny. Both will suffer but Market Cross should come out the winner (though its being held back because its not looking great).

In terms of 'local', I should have been more specific - I meant that they provide local empoyment, pay wages to local people which is spent on some other local goods and services - the usual economic cycle. I suppose putting else everything aside, such as shop types, popularity, design etc, I would still like to see it supported. The Centre is still only a 'baby' when compared to other SC's, it still has to find its feet in what is at the moment "very muddy waters" - and lets face it - in Kilkenny, we're not going to get much else in the near future.

I just want a KFC and I will grace that shopping centre with my presence every day for the rest of my life.

They think they're fairly elite though don't they? with all their stupid posh food places

I just want a KFC and I will grace that shopping centre with my presence every day for the rest of my life.

They think they're fairly elite though don't they? with all their stupid posh food places
    You must really love KFC?:D

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    You must really love KFC?:D

you have no idea...

you have no idea...
    Whats wrong with the one in KK at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

has this been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

you have no idea...

haha so would you be impressed if a guy bought you to KFC on a date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

KFC is awful, u'd swear they count the chips they put on ur tray their so mean. Burger King all the way 4 me (theres nothing like dining with kings!)

come to mention it, a proper subway wouldnt go astray in there either. (costa coffee in all fairness? :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Champion Sports was unavailable for comment last week on industry speculation that it was in talks about a possible disposal of the group to UK sportswear retailer JD Sports. Champion was bought by a consortium of businessmen, including Bernard Somers and Terry Sweeney, in 2007 from property developer Paddy McKillen and retailer Paul McGlade for a reported €60m.

Its possible that they want to close non performing stores before any sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wouldn't mind if it became a JD sports actually. I find it very good value indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

just seen on the kilkenny borough web site that mac donagh junction have been granted permission for fastfood/pizza restraunt to open beside the bowling alley, anyone know what it might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I noticed Gloria Jean's was closed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

just seen on the kilkenny borough web site that mac donagh junction have been granted permission for fastfood/pizza restraunt to open beside the bowling alley, anyone know what it might be
    Doomed to fail going on mcdunagh junctions brief history!

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I noticed Gloria Jean's was closed today.

Really? I'm not surprised to be honest. How any of those places manage to stay open is beyond me.

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the one in KK at the moment?

it's in the middle of nowhere that's what
    haha so would you be impressed if a guy bought you to KFC on a date?

no because intially they wouldn't know how much I love KFC so it would just be weird
    gunner11 wrote: »
    KFC is awful, u'd swear they count the chips they put on ur tray their so mean. Burger King all the way 4 me (theres nothing like dining with kings!)

come to mention it, a proper subway wouldnt go astray in there either. (costa coffee in all fairness? :()

it's not about the chips though, it's about the chicken, mmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Yeah, keep telling yourself its chicken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Firetrap wrote: »
    Really? I'm not surprised to be honest. How any of those places manage to stay open is beyond me.

Same here. I'm shocked they lasted that long tbh. A more pointless coffee place you could not find!

Advertisement