Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triathlon club north county dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bizfc

Hi Messed up..the pool we use is the one over beside Aerlingus Head Office which is not the one beside the track and sports complex. Hope to catch up with you soon. I did the 5 miler run in the Phonix Park at the weekend. It was a lot of fun. I was happy with my time as well which was sub 39 mins...make of it what you may but I was happy with it :)Cheers, Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

May not make tonights run as I'm under a bit of time pressure to get back home before 8 but I might start early and maybe meet up at the Waterside half way through. See you there if I make it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just bringing this back up to see how the club is going?? messed up invited me down tomorrow so i think i ll go. any other runners/ cyclists from here go?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hi Bikergal,
    Did you ever setup that club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

david4791 wrote: »
    Hi Bikergal,
    Did you ever setup that club?

Lol, it's still called www.fingaltri.ie :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Nice one, where do you do swim practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

connundrum wrote: »
    Lol, it's still called www.fingaltri.ie :P
    yep we still going strong with 123 members:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pvt. Hudson

Long time reader but first time poster, sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I'm wondering has there ever been any interest out there in starting a Triathlon Club in Swords? For such a large town I'm surprised there isn't one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Trouble is the base for Triathlon is so small compared to running or cycling that you tend to find a small number of clubs with wide catchment areas support the population effectively versus a lot of small clubs (< 10 members) covering a small area.

Fingal Tri Club covers this area really well and in the northwest you have Activ Multisport based out of the NAC and 3D Tri in the Phoenix park environs.

Unlike GAA clubs Tri clubs don't tend to have owned facilities to use as a "HQ" and often the Swim/Bike/Run sessions can be spread over a wide geographic area, which means at least in Dublin a club tends to meet in a few diverse locations depending on activity. Might be more centralised outside of Dublin though, as in more town-focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Long time reader but first time poster, sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I'm wondering has there ever been any interest out there in starting a Triathlon Club in Swords? For such a large town I'm surprised there isn't one already.

Hey - I'm in Fingal Tri and theres a lot of Swords folk in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Would enjoy a swords based club, if a deal could be done with Energie in Applewood for swimming and other uses or the GAA clubs for turbo training and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Would enjoy a swords based club, if a deal could be done with Energie in Applewood for swimming and other uses or the GAA clubs for turbo training and running.

Then set the club up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Fingal tri meet in swords for their cycles, do our turbo in Airside, Swords, Swim in Aalsaa & NAC and run on the track in Aalsaa! It couldnt possibly be more Swords based! Hope to see you at a session soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fingal tri meet in swords for their cycles, do our turbo in Airside, Swords, Swim in Aalsaa & NAC and run on the track in Aalsaa! It couldnt possibly be more Swords based! Hope to see you at a session soon

Have actually been in touch about coming down. Need to get myself up to par again first after a longer then expected recovery.

I know about Fingal but I'm not interested in joining them.

I see there is a club in Malahide, anybody know anything about them?
    They must be fairly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Fingal tri meet in swords for their cycles, do our turbo in Airside, Swords, Swim in Aalsaa & NAC and run on the track in Aalsaa! It couldnt possibly be more Swords based!
    I see there is a club in Malahide, anybody know anything about them? They must be fairly new.

:confused:

According to their website there's 12 members, worth dropping them an email and finding out about their sessions malahidetriathlonclub@gmail.com

You may be able to guest at a few of them to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What's the hassle with Fingal TC as a matter of interest?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What's the hassle with Fingal TC as a matter of interest?

I mean no offence to Fingal when I say this as I'm sure the majority of the members are very welcoming.
    I just know somebody who was in the club & he told me that it is incredibly clicky.

I also don't want to swim in the NAC as I find by the time you get there, get your swim in & get home there is 3 hours gone.

IMHO you should make up your own mind rather than taking someone else's opinion. You could guest with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Don't tink fingal swim at the nac anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

pot p wrote: »
    Don't tink fingal swim at the nac anymore

They swam there on a Friday and so were unaffected by that Pathways sh!te. Haven't been there in a while so can't say for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

AKW wrote: »
    IMHO you should make up your own mind rather than taking someone else's opinion. You could guest with them too.

totally agree.
    every club gets a bit clicky when they reach a certain size , but i have to say that the fingal club is one of the most cheerful i know . 2 years ago they had aobut 5 guys handing out drinks at an tri an mhi aid station while cheering on their members (and other people) .

I would defo try them and i beleive they swim in the alsaa ( and i think they left the Nac but iam not to sure on that)

According to their homepage their Swim training is in the NAC & Gormanstown Collage.
    I might guest with them in the New Year.

I'm going to make enquiries about Malahide club first. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

AKW wrote: »

A bit off topic sorry, but I wanted to point out that I thought it was funny that you are giving advice to Pvt. Hudson to ignore advice of posters :D

Back on topic - clicks in clubs, just like in all large groups, are inevitable. But what is also inevitable is that there are many good decent people in both clubs. I agree with the idea to try out a few sessions with each of them to help make your decision. Realistically the club that has training sessions (type, quality, times, locations, enjoy, stretch you etc) that meet your needs best is the one you should strongly consider.

Also I find in life you get out what you put in so perhaps think not just what you want from the club but also how you might contribute.

The best of luck with your decision.

cart man wrote: »
    A bit off topic sorry, but I wanted to point out that I thought it was funny that you are giving advice to Pvt. Hudson to ignore advice of posters :D

Haha, I get what you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone in portmarnock tri club? Or know much of it? I'm a newbie looking for a club

Advertisement