Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triathlon club north county dublin

Options
  • 21-06-2009 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone know of a triathlon club in North County Dublin?? Anyone wanna get one going??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I've been looking for one also after completing my first triathlon recently.
    Unfortunately it looks like there is none in North Dublin.I think 3D Tri are the only club on the North side but they are more centrally located.They train in Belvedere College Pool and the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Try the Piranha's. They train out of Westwood in Clontarf. www.piranhatri.com

smcgui wrote: »
    Try the Piranha's. They train out of Westwood in Clontarf. www.piranhatri.com

I was looking at them also but they only do their swimming in Clontarf.They do their running in UCD so they're not really a North side club.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

PWEI wrote: »
    I was looking at them also but they only do their swimming in Clontarf.They do their running in UCD so they're not really a North side club.:(

I'm not in Piranha first off.

Lots of piranhas run along the sea front in clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Swords CC are trying to get a tri section going...
    http://www.swordscc.bravehost.com/Triathlon.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Kermit,

There are a few triathletes who train out of Skerries/Lusk area. Various levels from first timers to multiple Ironmen.

A lot of them Swim in Belvedere some mornings (maybe with 3dtri) and do some running in Skerries/Loughshinny with a coach there.

There has been a few more triathlees getting going this year and most of these guys either cycle by themselves or go with Swords on Saturday and/or league race on Weds nights.

Not sure if any wouldbe bothered with setting up a club but most are fairly welcome re people joining up for sessions.

Shaun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

nice concept there by Swords CC. Pity ive just joined a southside club that i'm now happy with! Whats the story with their club races? Can anyone go along and pay a fee etc or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bambaata wrote: »
    nice concept there by Swords CC. Pity ive just joined a southside club that i'm now happy with! Whats the story with their club races? Can anyone go along and pay a fee etc or how does it work?

You need a race license anyway. Not sure what the deal is with visitors. I have heard second hand that... "Its open to Swords, Dublin Wheelers, Stamullen, Orwell specifically and other visitors. Technically limited to no more than 5 clubs per race but not too strict re this (don't quote me !)."

I know he said don't quote him, but ah screw it. Best to contact the club first I suppose, or else join!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    You need a race license anyway. Not sure what the deal is with visitors. I have heard second hand that... "Its open to Swords, Dublin Wheelers, Stamullen, Orwell specifically and other visitors. Technically limited to no more than 5 clubs per race but not too strict re this (don't quote me !)."

I know he said don't quote him, but ah screw it. Best to contact the club first I suppose, or else join!
    There was some deal where a tri license was supposed to cover cycling events not too sure where that stands at the moment.
    SwordsCC are interested in setting up a tri section so do consider that. A new club takes alot of time to set up and maintain !
    At the risk of getting swamped if you want more details PM me.
    There are are least 10 Swords members doing tri and the late great Caroline Kearney was a much admired and greatly missed member.

PS RAAM is now an ex member of SwordsCC , was suspended for being too skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Problem with a bike club based set up is that the bike will always be viewed as the most important leg of a triathlon when really its not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kermit1

Shaun, any idea of times and starting points for these triathletes? Are there females also?

Swords CC looks promising. Surely it would not be cycyling first, a triathlon club would have to structure the three disciplines equally???? If there were enough interested in triathlons then these people would push for what they want??

I agree setting up a new club takes colossal time and commitment, but with enough people involved it could make it easier. I personally haven't got much of a clue how to get started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tunney wrote: »
    Problem with a bike club based set up is that the bike will always be viewed as the most important leg of a triathlon when really its not at all.
    Fair point but the licences are or will be interchangable at some level and there is alot of cross-over especially with recreational athletes.
    IMO a club based on cycling, triathlon and running would be an attractive proposition.
    Would also give the club an opportunity to boost membership. Most (well lots anyway:rolleyes:) of the marshals at the skerries tri were swords cc members so there are added benifits in terms of race organisation.
    kermit1 wrote: »
    Swords CC looks promising. Surely it would not be cycyling first, a triathlon club would have to structure the three disciplines equally???? If there were enough interested in triathlons then these people would push for what they want??
    Clubs can develop and change their ethos. A tri section with an emphasis on triathlon could be a equal part of a club with its own training etc. Also would give pure cyclists an extra avenue if they were getting a bit bored. We have recently expanded from a pure touring/racing club to have an active track, xCross and MTB section (albeit still developing that aspect).
    Personally always though cycling can learn alot for tri interms of the athmosphere etc at events. Far too many pure cycling events esp races involve tirning up racing then going straight home. Also there is a tendenct to pack if you are not in the lead group, the finishing as a goal aspect of tri is quite admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

Anyone know of a triathlon club in North County Dublin?? Anyone wanna get one going??
    Hi! I have been running/training regularly for a year. Just started racing. 5 and 10k's. I train alone and know I need new techniques for training to increase strength and endurance...so am looking for an athletics club in North County Dublin Skerries/Balbriggan area. Would love to set one up if there isn't one! Also, quite interested in the notion of a triathlon!!! Would be absolute beginner though...never swum in the sea before!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

Hi,
    Due to a huge interest in triathlon, athletics, cycling and swimming in North Co Dublin, there is a group of us setting up a local triathlon club. All levels and ages welcome.

The first swimming session takes place in ALSAA's main pool at 9pm on Tues
    1st July.

The first running session starts at the car park in the Waterside Hotel, Donababte on Thurs 3rd July at 7pm.

The first biking session starts from the Round Tower petrol station, on the N1 just outside Lusk, at 8.30am Sat 5th July.

These venues and times may change each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

bikergal wrote: »
    Hi,
    Due to a huge interest in triathlon, athletics, cycling and swimming in North Co Dublin, there is a group of us setting up a local triathlon club. All levels and ages welcome.

1st July.

The first running session starts at the car park in the Waterside Hotel, Donababte on Thurs 3rd July at 7pm.

The first biking session starts from the Round Tower petrol station, on the N1 just outside Lusk, at 8.30am Sat 5th July.

Thanks for the info! I think for now I am gonna stick to running. Still would love to meet up and train with other runners maybe once a week. Again local enough to Skerries balbriggan area! Will keep triathlon in mind though, need to get a bike and think I need to get a little fitter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kermit1

Have commitments this week but hope to make Saturday session. Will help out where I can on the setting up bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

bikergal wrote: »
    Hi,

1st July.

is it possible to just go to the sessions you fancy? id be interested in the biking on the sat morning? do i just turn up or whats the story re joining?

Hi, I think that as the club is just getting up and running with the first traning sessions this week, people are welcome to just show up to whatever sessions suit them. The training sessions are free, except for the swimming, i think its €7 for non ALSAA members. The training sessions may change every week so if there are different times and venues they will be explained at this weeks training sessions.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    is it possible to just go to the sessions you fancy? id be interested in the biking on the sat morning? do i just turn up or whats the story re joining?

Regarding joining, there is no joining fee for this year.

Have commitments this week but hope to make Saturday session. Will help out where I can on the setting up bit.

Thanks Kermit, that would be great, hope to see you on Sat on the bike.

• Advertisement

sahs1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! I think for now I am gonna stick to running. Still would love to meet up and train with other runners maybe once a week. Again local enough to Skerries balbriggan area! Will keep triathlon in mind though, need to get a bike and think I need to get a little fitter!!

You are more then welcome to just join the running training, you do not have to attend all training sessions.

Hi bikergal,have ye got a name for the club yet and when do you expect the club to be up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would be interested in the cycling on Saturdays. From where in Lusk and what time do you plan to start at?

billyhead wrote: »
    I would be interested in the cycling on Saturdays. From where in Lusk and what time do you plan to start at?
    im in malahide if you ever fancy a cycling partner. i work office hours so am free the weekends and some evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bizfc

Hi, I'm interested in hooking up to see if we can get a Northside Tri club started as well. Good man for starting the thread.

Regarding tonights meet for the swimming over in the Airport pool at 9pm. I was wondering who else is going to be coming along? How will we know who's there for the Tri training? I have plans for tonight but if there's a decent number heading over I could cancel the plans to see if we can get the club started and off the ground.

It would be great if whoever is heading along tonight could just post a one liner on this thread. I'm from Malahide, new to Tri but ready to start :) I have been getting used to sea swimming out at Low Rock in Malahide and have been working towards getting in shape for a 10km in 2 weeks. As for cycling I usually head out every Saturday for a 25km spin so I'm ok on that front.
    Exciting times,
    Gavin

Hi, there were 7 of us in the pool last night. Excellent session with some good tips given. Bizfc, apologies as I only read your post now.

Bike on Sat morning leaves from Round Tower petrol station at 8.30. Not sure on mileage or pace, it will depend on the group. The first few sessions will be easy spins to get everyone used to riding in a group, doing up and overs etc. Then it is hoped to split the group into different levels of abilty.

We are thinking of the name Fingal Tri.

Regarding getting the club up and running, the training sessions have started this week. The wesite should be up in the next few weeks.

Hi Bikergal, Thanks for your quick update which actually saved me a trip out the airport. On your original post you had said "The first swimming session takes place in ALSAA's main pool at 9pm on Tues 1st July. " I had just read the July 1st which is today and not picked up on the Tuesday bit at all so I was all set to head out tonight until I got your post. Kool glad you had a good turn out and that "The Vikings" (or Figal Tri :) got off to a good start. Just thought I'd made a cheeky suggestion on the name for the club :) Thanks again for the quick reply. Gavin

also sat is the 4th so everybody be careful with that. im going cycling with a friend sat morning already so will prob miss the first one unless things change.

@ Bizfc - i ve recently moved to malahide and usually do 2-3 * 20 to 30km cycles midweek and one long cycle the weekends (around 60km). i also do 2 or 3 5 to 10km runs. so if your looking for company anytime let me know.

Brian

Apologies for mixing dates up.

Swim session are Tues evenings 9-10 in ALSAA main pool

Run sessions are Thurs evenings 7pm.
    Meeting in car park Waterside Hotel Donabate for this evening.
    The running venues may change.

Bike sessions are Saturday mornings. 8.30 at the Round Tower petrol station, on the N1 just outside Lusk.

• Advertisement

Brian you sound like you manage to get out cycling quite a bit. We should hook up for sure. I went out for a 8km last night from Biscayne to the lifeguard hut on Portmarnock Strand. I was out with my bro. We're both training for the Adidas 5 miler on July 18th http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php should be a nice event.

Advertisement