Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack on female Garda in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I am in agreement with everyone else that nothing warranted such an attack on the Garda and how dare you accuse me of trying to justify it.

Why then did you bring up how the Garda might have treated the scumbags, if not to imply that her behaviour somehow warranted the attack? Why suggest that she may have been throwing her weight around if you weren't trying to say that she may have deserved it? There's nothing to suggest the Garda did anything wrong, trying to imply that she might have is reprehensible.

On average two Gardaí are assaulted every day, it's apparent that we don't have to do anything more than turn up for work in order to become a target for criminals.

If you're in agreement with everyone else you've a funny way of showing it, first giving an 'explanation' for the assault then making sweeping disparaging comments about female Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bigass

cushtac wrote: »
    Why then did you bring up how the Garda might have treated the scumbags, if not to imply that her behaviour somehow warranted the attack? Why suggest that she may have been throwing her weight around if you weren't trying to say that she may have deserved it? There's nothing to suggest the Garda did anything wrong, trying to imply that she might have is reprehensible.

On average two Gardaí are assaulted every day, it's apparent that we don't have to do anything more than turn up for work in order to become a target for criminals.

If you're in agreement with everyone else you've a funny way of showing it, first giving an 'explanation' for the assault then making sweeping disparaging comments about female Gardaí.

I have met many of people doing my job, that have the same attuide as the poeple that attacked the female Gardai.
    I treat all the people I meet the same as I would want to be treated, but unfortuntaly it doesnt always work.
    On occassions they treat me like **** on there shoes, but this still does not warrant an assault.
    As the above comment states we just turn up to work and this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ria5000

i was actually one of the first at scene to this assistance call. ive lost count of how many people i had to block filming her. the public were a disgrace the guard in question is a good friend of mine and shes doin fine now, gonna be off work for a good bit with the injuries although none are serious.

ria5000 wrote: »
    i was actually one of the first at scene to this assistance call. ive lost count of how many people i had to block filming her. the public were a disgrace the guard in question is a good friend of mine and shes doin fine now, gonna be off work for a good bit with the injuries although none are serious.

Pure scum for trying to film it..

Glad to here she's on the mend, my best wishes go out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Thanks for the update Ria, best wishes to the Guard in question. Very glad to hear none of her injuries are too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Poor girl, whatever your opinion is an the Gardaí - you should never attack a poor girl like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i was actually one of the first at scene to this assistance call. ive lost count of how many people i had to block filming her.

Bit confused here, were they breaking any laws by filming the incident?

Bambi wrote: »
    Bit confused here, were they breaking any laws by filming the incident?

No they werent breaking any laws, but it's not the nicest thing being attacked.
    Then to add to it having it filmed, who in there right mind would want to film that.

But in saying that if there were moral laws that would be one of mine...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I wonder if anybody has offered the gardai their video as evidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Chief--- wrote: »
    I wonder if anybody has offered the gardai their video as evidence??

Must ... bite .... lip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

scum thats all day are:mad:. . best wishes to the member in question and i hope she has a speedy recovery :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Mods, may I suggest that someone locks this thread.

It has gone way off topic and to be honest it is turning into a hardcore keyboard fighting competition.

It started off fine , don't know where it went after about 4 replies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

DubMedic wrote: »
    Mods, may I suggest that someone locks this thread.

It has gone way off topic and to be honest it is turning into a hardcore keyboard fighting competition.

It started off fine , don't know where it went after about 4 replies though.

I dont think it has gone off topic tbh and it did generate a good discussion between people of differing opinions. At the same time everyone does wish her a quick recovery.

Dont think its worthy of a locking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

cushtac wrote: »

Are you a member of the Garda force by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Are you a member of the Garda force by any chance?

He said "we" after talking about the Gardai. I'm hoping you aren't a garda as your investigation skills wouldn't be very useful

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Relevant wrote: »
    He said "we" after talking about the Gardai. I'm hoping you aren't a garda as your investigation skills wouldn't be very useful

Leave that to the detective, Garda! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The question of the filming is interesting.

While I for one think the filming of an incident is in bad taste when you could have been helping. If you have the balls to video of criminal you should have the balls to shout stuff at him. If i was commiting a crime and found your N95 filming my mate battering a Garda I would be after it damn quick as well as the hand that held it.

However in todays society we are surrounded by cameras not only fixed CCTV cameras. But personnal mobile devices, not to mention actual camcorders.

I think its just a fact of life these days that we all have to operate under these conditions by we I mean ES and none ES staff. Trying to stop filming from a crowd is quite frankly like trying to push sh1t with a twig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in Garda H.Q. almost daily, and almost daily I'm asked what courier company I'm with - despite the fact I've just got out of a big green Nissan Patrol and wearing an army DPM uniform with baret on my head!.

Go figure!.

As for that young female guard, I couldn't imagine how horriffic that incident would have been for the poor girl.

I dare say the physical cuts and bruises will heal, but the emotional trauma is something she'll probably live with forever.

"She's only a pig" (wasn't that the line used?) - see a majority of the general public don't see beyond the uniform, they don't see the human wearing it, the sister/brother/father or mother ,only the cap & badge and your considered fair game for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

I'm in Garda H.Q. almost daily, and almost daily I'm asked what courier company I'm with - despite the fact I've just got out of a big green Nissan Patrol and wearing an army DPM uniform with baret on my head!.

Go figure!.

As for that young female guard, I couldn't imagine how horriffic that incident would have been for the poor girl.

I dare say the physical cuts and bruises will heal, but the emotional trauma is something she'll probably live with forever.

"She's only a pig" (wasn't that the line used?) - see a majority of the general public don't see beyond the uniform, they don't see the human wearing it, the sister/brother/father or mother ,only the cap & badge and your considered fair game for some.

Thats the top men in the force that are on that gate, nothing gets past them:D

Yeah if you are going in every day or almost every day... Should you not know all the Gardai on gate duty by now???

There isnt that many!!!

Stop looking at their uniforms and concentrate on their faces!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭sineadCharl

People are terrified to intervene but to film it.!! that's sick! Disgusting...
    That poor guard, I know it's scary intervening but if we don't scum bags like that get away purely by intimidation.
    I was in town once, and this girl was begging sitting outside a phone box. She wasn't harassing anyone, just sitting there with a cup. This guy walked past and did a drop kick on her head. No one said feckin' anything. Broad daylight on Stephen's Green.
    I had a load of shopping with me and shouted after him and went after him (looking like a lunatic myself running with my bags of shopping) but no one else even batted an eyelid. Caleld the police eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The people who stood by and recorded it are almost as bad as the scumbags themselves. What kind of mindset have these people?! Not only standing by and watching it, but taking the time to record it. Some folk have no humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Sorry, my skills of observation mustn't be as sharp as yours.
    I'm hoping you aren't a garda as your investigation skills wouldn't be very useful

That explains it all then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No you wouldn't have to kick the **** out of them all that was needed was for a few people to restrain them.

The unfortunate choice is that would likely have to kick the sh1te out of them as they in all likely hood would keep coming at you til your were both incapacitated.(i.e. yourself and the guard), and with sh1theads wathcing on the like the guy who thought she deserved, very good chance you would end up getting done for using excessive force to knock some sense into the vermon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

grenache wrote: »
    The people who stood by and recorded it are almost as bad as the scumbags themselves. What kind of mindset have these people?! Not only standing by and watching it, but taking the time to record it. Some folk have no humanity.

At what stage do you decide to step in? And at what stage do you decide it is unwise to step in? If a lone female Garda is being stabbed or threatened with a gun will you whale in? Or if she is being shouted at by some lads with cans do you jump in then?

And what do you do with your intervention. Punch, kick, take out your hammer that you've just bought from B&Q and hit them on the head. Or maybe you've got a knife.

Wind in your neck son and stop trying to be a hero. Chances are the Garda wouldn't have fancied you even if you have tried to be her knight in shining armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

At what stage do you decide to step in? And at what stage do you decide it is unwise to step in? If a lone female Garda is being stabbed or threatened with a gun will you whale in? Or if she is being shouted at by some lads with cans do you jump in then?

And what do you do with your intervention. Punch, kick, take out your hammer that you've just bought from B&Q and hit them on the head. Or maybe you've got a knife.

Wind in your neck son and stop trying to be a hero. Chances are the Garda wouldn't have fancied you even if you have tried to be her knight in shining armour.

I have a question, if I did see a Police officer getting stabbed as you describe above, happened to have a firearm and shot the scumbag. Taking into account there was no chance the bullet would go anywhere but the the scumbag.

Would I be wrong?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I have a question, if I did see a Police officer getting stabbed as you describe above, happened to have a firearm and shot the scumbag. Taking into account there was no chance the bullet would go anywhere but the the scumbag.

Would I be wrong?

Yes. 100%. I think if a Garda, or anyone else for that matter has their life threatened by a criminal then it is proper that a Garda be allowed to use lethal force to prevent that. But not a member of the public.

If you had a gun and saw a Garda being kicked in the head, do you think it would be reasonable to shoot the person.

If you had a gun and saw someone lunge for a Garda with a knife and not strike them on their first attempt, do you think it would be right to kill them with your gun?

If you saw a Garda being stabbed and you had just been to Brown Thomas and picked up some lovely new Wüsthof knives, do you feel you'd be justified in stabbing that person back?

And if, in your attempts to assist in a situation where you are completely in over your head, you kill someone unlawfully, is another bystander justified to kill you?

Leave the heroics to the professionals.

I'd say half the people on here would be delighted to see a Garda in trouble so they could make some assumptions, dish out some street justice and then boast about it down the pub.

I have every faith in our national police force to protect me and protect each other without vigilantes getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Fortunately, criminal law disagrees with you.

Yes. 100%. I think if a Garda, or anyone else for that matter has their life threatened by a criminal then it is proper that a Garda be allowed to use lethal force to prevent that. But not a member of the public.

If you had a gun and saw a Garda being kicked in the head, do you think it would be reasonable to shoot the person.

If you had a gun and saw someone lunge for a Garda with a knife and not strike them on their first attempt, do you think it would be right to kill them with your gun?

If you saw a Garda being stabbed and you had just been to Brown Thomas and picked up some lovely new Wüsthof knives, do you feel you'd be justified in stabbing that person back?

And if, in your attempts to assist in a situation where you are completely in over your head, you kill someone unlawfully, is another bystander justified to kill you?

Leave the heroics to the professionals.

I'd say half the people on here would be delighted to see a Garda in trouble so they could make some assumptions, dish out some street justice and then boast about it down the pub.

I have every faith in our national police force to protect me and protect each other without vigilantes getting involved.

Terrontress please check up justifiable homicide. When it is justified to kill somebody in self defence.

Why would you not be allowed kill somebody who was coming at you with a knife or a gun, whether you are a Garda or not??

You do not have to be a garda to legally kill somebody.

Plenty of people have legally held firearms.

I am a garda and if somebody had stabbed me, tried to stab me, shot me or pointed a gun at me, i would hope that a member of the public in possession of a firearm would shoot to kill the person doing it, if they were still threatening my life.

If i was armed and on duty i would happily do the same for you.

• Advertisement

Chief--- wrote: »
    Terrontress please check up justifiable homicide. When it is justified to kill somebody in self defence.

Why would you not be allowed kill somebody who was coming at you with a knife or a gun, whether you are a Garda or not??

You do not have to be a garda to legally kill somebody.

Plenty of people have legally held firearms.

I am a garda and if somebody had stabbed me, tried to stab me, shot me or pointed a gun at me, i would hope that a member of the public in possession of a firearm would shoot to kill the person doing it, if they were still threatening my life.

If i was armed and on duty i would happily do the same for you.

Yes but are you not a cop?

The public shouldn't go firing guns at will.

I'd say for a fully trained armed officer, taking a life is a monumental decision with huge ramifications afterwards.
    A member of the public is not equipped to do that. End of.

What if you were being kicked on the ground. Potentially fatal. Would you be happy if someone with a farmer's shotgun shot and killed that person?

And what if someone had a knife but you felt, as a professional, you have it under control. What would be your reaction if a member of the public whipped out a gun and killed them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement