Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack on female Garda in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

very sad about that women who died and the assualt of the garda in question...
    people are under the illusion that professional scumbags have the same morals as people brought up well....they don't...jail is a holiday for them...free food and pool tables.......

unless your are bruce lee you will lose if you intervene as they never operate alone.....

very dodgy at night in town and not covered enough in the media due to possible bruising of tourism P.R.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

Well something serious needs to be done. I know some people who are joining the force or whatever they call it here, and they are no more fit to protect the people than Baby Bop from Barney.

Surely we could get some tough Eastern Europeans to join, especially with the construction industry in a mess. They have the perfect mentality and I would glady like to see 1,000 tough eastern europeans replace some overweight slob from offaly. I have seen very very little tough looking Irish cops on the steets.

They would be given free intensive English courses in order to become near fluent in the minimum ammount of time. They would be dressed in imposing black, and armed to the teeth and would patrol in massive numbers areas with highest amount of scum and the city centre. They would be given much freedom and allowed to deal with scum in a serious and simple manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

not likely....not being racist but you will probably see more 5' asian street police being laughed at when approaching skangs....they should have kept the height restriction (for street police)......rediculous measure due to P.C. idiocy....like allowing a blind man to join the sniper regiment.....

I didn't mention Asians, I mentioned Eastern Europeans who by my eyes and I can only talk about the ones who came to Ireland are far better built than the average Irish person, but they(Asians) actually are more than capable of standing up for themselves. While an Asian may look 'small' you can be damn sure that many of them could beat the living **** out of a fat slob skanger or a scawny one. Look anyway scum beat you in their numbers , no other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

first off i will be honest i am a garda so i'll just give my own views on this. Firstly i am not based in the city but it always should be the case male or female that guards go out in pairs. this can not always happen due to manpower.

It has been the case in the past where is numbers were low extra were given overtime to work on but thats all knocked on the head with huge cutbacks. I feel bad for this female member. I've been in that situation myself or being outnumbered and attacked although thankfully i came out the better and its not always down to being strong its down to how fast help gets to you.

What stuns me the most is not that it was recorded i'd expect no more from toerags but the fact noone came to help. I think alot of people are worried if they do they also will have the poo kicked out of them. I just think we need harder laws not only to protect the police but to protect joe public who also could be attacked by these kinds of people. I see it to often repeat offenders getting off with tiny fine. Its very dishearting at times. We always say to each other if the public only knew the half of it. but what i do suggest is if anyone ever has a free day go down to the courts in the bridewell to the public area and just watch.

Anyway my rant is over hope she gets well soon in body and soul

• Advertisement

I agree, maby its not the Garda themselves but the actual laws. Do the higher ups actually know that scum like this exists? TBH it really is a minority though so proper hard hitting crackdown is needed, if not they just flourish.

Well something serious needs to be done. I know some people who are joining the force or whatever they call it here, and they are no more fit to protect the people than Baby Bop from Barney.

Surely we could get some tough Eastern Europeans to join, especially with the construction industry in a mess. They have the perfect mentality and I would glady like to see 1,000 tough eastern europeans replace some overweight slob from offaly. I have seen very very little tough looking Irish cops on the steets.

They would be given free intensive English courses in order to become near fluent in the minimum ammount of time. They would be dressed in imposing black, and armed to the teeth and would patrol in massive numbers areas with highest amount of scum and the city centre. They would be given much freedom and allowed to deal with scum in a serious and simple manner.

lol mmm have you seen the quality of big bouncers ? no mate its not about size, guards dont go hard unless its needed. you are lucky with this police force. Guards are thought to talk to people to deescalate a situation.

And guards also cant hit anyone not worth the risk of losing ones job, gardai will attempt to overpower by any means if needs be but cant just outright assault someone. I never have never would although have been complained for assault but when your dealing with people like those who assaulted that garda they will always be *issed off and will make false complaints, just part of the job

look the comment was a bit tongue in cheek but there is not enough respect for the garda here, maby its because you try the reasoned approach, and for normal people in society this is great but for the scum they don't understand and a more hardlined approach is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

And guards also cant hit anyone not worth the risk of losing ones job

I don't really get that. I genuinely believe that anyone who assaults a garda (or any other emergency services worker) should lose any legal rights like that. I'd no objection to gardaí being able to legally beat the hell out of anyone that dares to assault them. I really think that if that were the penalty that scum like this would face for such actions that they would definitely think twice before doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

first off i will be honest i am a garda so i'll just give my own views on this. Firstly i am not based in the city but it always should be the case male or female that guards go out in pairs. this can not always happen due to manpower.

It has been the case in the past where is numbers were low extra were given overtime to work on but thats all knocked on the head with huge cutbacks. I feel bad for this female member. I've been in that situation myself or being outnumbered and attacked although thankfully i came out the better and its not always down to being strong its down to how fast help gets to you.

What stuns me the most is not that it was recorded i'd expect no more from toerags but the fact noone came to help. I think alot of people are worried if they do they also will have the poo kicked out of them. I just think we need harder laws not only to protect the police but to protect joe public who also could be attacked by these kinds of people. I see it to often repeat offenders getting off with tiny fine. Its very dishearting at times. We always say to each other if the public only knew the half of it. but what i do suggest is if anyone ever has a free day go down to the courts in the bridewell to the public area and just watch.

Anyway my rant is over hope she gets well soon in body and soul
    Well lad, FYI, there is a law which protects joe public who helps a garda from being attacked who in turn is attacked himself..Sct 19 POA...

• Advertisement

Well lad, FYI, there is a law which protects joe public who helps a garda from being attacked who in turn is attacked himself..Sct 19 POA...

yes your right but what i meant was being real and the person might think if i join in they might get beaten even if they know about the POA

And as for last poster cant hit can overpower, if a prisoner goes before a judge black and blue he is going to ask what happened to this person and i would not like to have to say i smacked the head off him judge.

Its just the way the system is

And as for last poster cant hit can overpower, if a prisoner goes before a judge black and blue he is going to ask what happened to this person and i would not like to have to say i smacked the head off him judge.

But surely a judge of all people would be understanding of something like this? It's ridiculous that someone can attack a guard and be protected like that.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything and I completely understand where you're coming from but I'm so sick of hearing about Gardaí being attacked. I want scum like this to pay and I think this would really hammer the message home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Don't get me wrong, I think that attack on the Bean Garda was savage and I was shocked in reading it. But you have to bear in mind though that it hasn't been mentioned in the above how the Bean Garda approached these youths, or her attitude towards them. She could have thrown her weight around a bit and abused her power, you never know.

I myself find many of the Bean Gardai these days to be downright dangerous. They will prosecute you for absolutely anything if given the chance, especially ones of that stature, e.g. for something ridiculous like standing on a street late at night waiting outside somewhere for a person you are with. They feel threatened by people who are bigger than them, especially men and therefore go mental, taking unnecessary actions as a result, usually leading to a case that is ongoing for months and a waste of the court's time.

I do by no means intend to be controversial in my above statement. It is just my views and mostly experiences I've heard of other people's personal experiences of encounters with the female Garda force. I know there are some who do their job brilliantly, but I just have the feeling that a lot of them these days join the force with the wrong intentions.

What's this POA thing? All I can find is Power of Attorney or Prison Officer's Association when I search online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

cronin_j wrote: »
    Say you walked up and helped the garda (from a guys perspective), in a fight with 2 guys you would have to use excessive force to stop them. How would you then deal with the girl? Especially if she started to attack you? could you tackle her to the ground? Surely if you restrained her, the other 2 guys would get back up and then attack you?

Say you did manage to subdue the 2 males, and the female... and you hurt them in the process...surely you are leaving yourself open to an assault charge or a civil case at best?

Its true what they say really, the law is setup to protect criminals. :mad:
    Wouldn't happen in that situation. If ONE person had lifted a finger to help, damn near everyone else looking on would have followed suit.

Inexcusable imo.

What's this POA thing? All I can find is Power of Attorney or Prison Officer's Association when I search online.
    public order act...sori folks..wer speakn technical terms ere...:rolleyes:

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think that attack on the Bean Garda was savage and I was shocked in reading it. But you have to bear in mind though that it hasn't been mentioned in the above how the Bean Garda approached these youths, or her attitude towards them. She could have thrown her weight around a bit and abused her power, you never know.

I myself find many of the Bean Gardai these days to be downright dangerous. They will prosecute you for absolutely anything if given the chance, especially ones of that stature, e.g. for something ridiculous like standing on a street late at night waiting outside somewhere for a person you are with. They feel threatened by people who are bigger than them, especially men and therefore go mental, taking unnecessary actions as a result, usually leading to a case that is ongoing for months and a waste of the court's time.

I do by no means intend to be controversial in my above statement. It is just my views and mostly experiences I've heard of other people's personal experiences of encounters with the female Garda force. I know there are some who do their job brilliantly, but I just have the feeling that a lot of them these days join the force with the wrong intentions.
    lol, but i dnt think she deserved an awful hoppin like that.....

No bother. I kinda wandered into the conversation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Are people still moaning and being keyboard heroes?.

I thought mine and nice_guy_always' posts of '' Hope she gets well soon , lock the scum up '' would be enough , and people would follow suit.

Obviously not.

DubMedic wrote: »
    Are people still moaning and being keyboard heroes?.

I thought mine and nice_guy_always' posts of '' Hope she gets well soon , lock the scum up '' would be enough , and people would follow suit.

Obviously not.

awh c'mon ye hav 2 keep it goin....
    OMG such an awful act...de dirty fecckersssss...lock the scum up
    cmon....dubmedic baby...get the ball rollin again lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bean Garda

Are we still allowed to say that? I'm a traditionalist, but I've not heard it in years.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Are we still allowed to say that? I'm a traditionalist, but I've not heard it in years.

NTM

In my dealings with Female gardaí it would be 'Gda.' or just 'ms' , 'madam' , and the one that they dislike , 'gard' :P.
    I have the utmost respect for them.

Ban-Garda. I wouldn't use face to face with a Gda. But rather when talking about an incident i.e. '' The Ban-Gda. was wearing a blue shirt etc '' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Once three of us where walking home and someone told us to shut up, my mate replied "aw F**k off" not even looking who said it.

A few seconds later he had a female Garda around his waist trying to get him to the ground , which was not happening big rugby type.

There was three of us and one of her at the time we all just asked her to stop as we could see she was a Garda. "would you let go of me Eventually she stopped and called her offsider who arrested said Fellow. Who was walked to the station only to be thrown back out again by a another officer.

See no need to batter anyone even if they are heavy handed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

NTM

Yes of course if it refers to the security guard at Heinz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Public order act????? Never heard of it. Maybe your thinking of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994:p

NTM

Ya we still use it but now its ''banner'':D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

look the comment was a bit tongue in cheek but there is not enough respect for the garda here, maby its because you try the reasoned approach, and for normal people in society this is great but for the scum they don't understand and a more hardlined approach is needed.

The first problem there is who do you define as a scumbag. Look at Lugs Brannigan and his heavy mob. This was a unit of Gardaí formed to deal with violence at dance halls, they'd roll up & roughly deal with anyone causing trouble in Dublin. What ended up happening was some of the unit ended up clattering ordinary people in the course of things & a good lot of decent people ended up with a dislike of Gardaí as a result. It wasn't something exclusive to Brannigan's unit either, there were plenty of Gardaí too keen to hand out slaps to anyone from certain areas of the city on the basis that they were scumbags.

The second problem is what happens when such hardline Gardaí end up dealing with your friends & family? It'll be grand when Gardaí knocking the ****e out of a gang of scumbags, but when they do the same to your little brother because he was a bit pissed on Saturday night & gave some mule a smart answer it'll be a different story.

Thirdly, you can effectively deal with such gangs without being violent. Stop them, search them, take any drink off them, move them on, then arrest where necessary. Do this enough times and they get the message. This is done all the time by Gardaí & works well, though it doesn't get noticed by the general public.

Nothing the Garda could have done would warrant such an attack by multiple opponents. Anyone suggesting otherwise is an apologist for these thugs.

Have you been involved in such a case? What direct experience do you have with female Gardaí that gives you such insight into their mindset?

I wouldn't call your attempt to offer justification for the assault controversial, I'd call it disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Going back to what I said earlier, there is obviously a way a Garda has to deal with a person who needs restraint. Someone can't throw a box or use their feet. That isn't the way things are done and rightly so. Is a member of the public going to understand this? Someone getting involved physically will probably look at dishing out a bit of street justice, based on the posts here. A Garda will think of restraining the suspect, preserve evidence, calm things down.

I still stand by my original assertion that the public should not get involved and Gardai should not expect them to.

I still stand by my original assertion that the public should not get involved and Gardai should not expect them to.

You're right. We're not trained and would probably make things a lot worse as well as injuring ourselves.

But it's so frustrating to hear about at the same time. We owe so much to the Gardaí. I hate hearing about them being assaulted in the course of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You're right. We're not trained and would probably make things a lot worse as well as injuring ourselves.

But it's so frustrating to hear about at the same time. We owe so much to the Gardaí. I hate hearing about them being assaulted in the course of duty.

I despise the people who have done this and think they have nothing to offer society whatsoever. I'd be in favour of extremely strict punishments, meted out quickly and would have no issue with extreme physical force being used to restrain them.

But I am not trained to go into such situations and wouldn't want to get close so the only form of physical intervention I could offer would be a few punches or a kick. Which is completely inappropriate. So I'd stay away.

I do think though that I have a better idea of the realities of such a situation than a lot of people on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

cushtac wrote: »
    Nothing the Garda could have done would warrant such an attack by multiple opponents. Anyone suggesting otherwise is an apologist for these thugs.

Now hold on a second. I couldn't stress any further in my original post how horrified I was to read of such an event happenining to a woman, yet alone a female Garda (Is that the correct way of saying it?).
    Have you been involved in such a case? What direct experience do you have with female Gardaí that gives you such insight into their mindset?

I have never been in trouble with one. But on my brief encounters with them I have found many to be rude and ignorant for no reason whatsoever.
    I wouldn't call your attempt to offer justification for the assault controversial, I'd call it disgusting.

As I mentioned above, I think it's a disgrace that such a savage attack should happen to any member of the Garda force, yet alone a female member. I was just pointing out that she may not be as innocent as you think, I myself have seen and heard how some of them operate. I am in agreement with everyone else that nothing warranted such an attack on the Garda and how dare you accuse me of trying to justify it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement