Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How were the exams/what are good subjects to do

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Again, if I had a choice between chemistry and business, I know I'd pick chemistry. It's a pretty interesting subject, and it's not actually that hard if you work at it. It depends on where your interests lie, though; would you like to do something science related in college? If you would, then definitely pick chemistry. Plus, it's a requirement for medicine if that tickles your fancy.
    Medicine does tickle my fancy, but the points are high, I'll try but lets say it won't the only thing on my CAO. I've got it in my mind I'd defo like to do something along the lines of science, like an omnibus of sorts. Maybe I'd go down an individual science route once I do the individual branchs of science in leaving cert. Then it may become clearer.
    IMO,it's one of the fairest exams of the lot. A lot of choice,relatively predictable and again,fair. It tends to reflect your ability/work well :) Yeah,JC Chemistry is basically a lie,NGL. I find it hard to explain why I find it interesting,I guess I think it's cutting edge knowledge in a sense :D You'll definitely understand the equations for Leaving Cert,the ratios are very important for working certain things out but it's handy enough :D The maths in Chemistry is easy even compared to physics. Oh,and you also do the mole/stiochiometry,which is handy enough too,I forgot to put that into my previous post :rolleyes:
    Ohh okay. I hope it's not a huge learning curve. I did feel JC chemistry was just too much rote learning altogether.
    Saul-Good wrote: »
    And don't worry about feeling inadequate after the high standard of buzzers we have set, the L.C. class of 2009 is far to savage to live up to...it's not your fault that ye won't be as savage as us!
    Pshht, see the JC class of 2009? Absolutely blow-away stuff. Nah not really. There's no competition really. The drop in CAO points will be great. (Jk)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

jumpguy wrote: »
    Pshht, see the JC class of 2009? Absolutely blow-away stuff. Nah not really. There's no competition really. The drop in CAO points will be great. (Jk)

Jumpguy, you're betraying your fellow JCer's!.. We're amazing too :D
    Don't think I'm not watching what goes on in these threads either.:pac:

Jumpguy, you're betraying your fellow JCer's!.. We're amazing too :D
    Don't think I'm not watching what goes on in these threads either.:pac:
    Goddamnit ye're everywhere! :P The (jk) at the end means just kidding. You know I love and believe in you guys...seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

jumpguy wrote: »
    Goddamnit ye're everywhere! :P The (jk) at the end means just kidding. You know I love and believe in you guys...seriously...
    Well our JC forum is sooo boring at the moment so I have to do something in my time.
    We'll be all getting A's in our JC's, don't worry.. you just wait and see..:P
    anywayssss.. I'll leave you to talk to your NEW friends..

Well our JC forum is sooo boring at the moment so I have to do something in my time.
    We'll be all getting A's in our JC's, don't worry.. you just wait and see..:P
    anywayssss.. I'll leave you to talk to your NEW friends..
    Haha, ahh we will. Yerra we'll be grand. Need the LCers to tell me what subject choices to...choose. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I was very happy with how my leaving cert went, but my greatest mistake was my subject choices

Business - One of my easiest subjects but I had to work too damb hard to overcome my boredness. Every double business was a fight against sanity, and I came close to losing a few times.

Biology - A wide, wide course, it should be split in two, natural enviornment and biological organisms mabey, but it is dead easy if your interested, and tough topics are easy to avoid. Having said that a third of the course, units 1 and 2, can cover 80% of the exam, so it's possible to leave out half the course and score a good C, low B.

Geography - Just not worth it, the time it takes to cover everything well, and then answer on 1% of in the exam, it makes you feel like you completely wasted your time. But If you must, choose economics over human when it comes to the elective, especially if you do business, especially not if business is the bane of your existance.

Maths - It's not an option, but higher or ordinary is. Unless your naturally good at maths, and that means your left brain must be at least four times the size of your right brain. Drop higher immediatly, I worked it out and for the study time I put into higher, I could have done two extra highers on my own to A standard, and now I'm looking at a B in higher maths, looks good but not good enough.

DCG - Their should be major revisions to this course after the shambles of a first year, Time is a major issue in the exam, and it's also an issue in class. With the bohemouth headache that is the project, your year is halfed, and you will struggle to finish the course. As well as that, I don't know anybody who didn't destroy their solidworks student edition files when the project was over. All in all, too much heartache for little gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Maths - It's not an option, but higher or ordinary is. Unless your naturally good at maths, and that means your left brain must be at least four times the size of your right brain. Drop higher immediatly, I worked it out and for the study time I put into higher, I could have done two extra highers on my own to A standard, and now I'm looking at a B in higher maths, looks good but not good enough.

DCG - Their should be major revisions to this course after the shambles of a first year, Time is a major issue in the exam, and it's also an issue in class. With the bohemouth headache that is the project, your year is halfed, and you will struggle to finish the course. As well as that, I don't know anybody who didn't destroy their solidworks student edition files when the project was over. All in all, too much heartache for little gain.

+1

He is right about Maths, he is right about DCG.

I expect it may be a revised 3 hour 20 minute exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Who renamed my thread? :v:

Glad it wasn't too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cateym

Again, if I had a choice between chemistry and business, I know I'd pick chemistry. It's a pretty interesting subject, and it's not actually that hard if you work at it. It depends on where your interests lie, though; would you like to do something science related in college? If you would, then definitely pick chemistry. Plus, it's a requirement for medicine if that tickles your fancy.

I chose business instead of chemistry and was very sorry afterwards. It bored me to death.

Advertisement