Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How were the exams/what are good subjects to do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

Listen in class,do homework,understand everything,study for class tests and mocks and finally cram the night before exam and youll be graaaaand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Ya Geography is the best choice, it's one of the few subjects(if not the only) where you can use drawings, short essays and graphs to answer the questions. Not to mention the fact that every geography teacher is a total badass. Highly recommended!!

If I could offer you one single bit of advice it would be to stay away from geography. It's undoubtedly the most boring, life-draining subject that the Leaving Cert. offers. It's terrible, horrible, horrendous - there actually aren't enough negative adjectives to describe the subject. I'd rather chop off my own foot than do it again.

But yah, it's easy. It's not worth it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

If I could offer you one single bit of advice it would be to stay away from geography. It's undoubtedly the most boring, life-draining subject that the Leaving Cert. offers. It's terrible, horrible, horrendous - there actually aren't enough negative adjectives to describe the subject. I'd rather chop off my own foot than do it again.

But yah, it's easy. It's not worth it, though.

What school did you go to? Because my geography class was brilliant:D

AMixedBag wrote: »
    What school did you go to? Because my geography class was brilliant:D

Well yah, the class might be fun sometimes. But, that doesn't make the subject anyway fun. It's just far too boring!

• Advertisement

Well yah, the class might be fun sometimes. But, that doesn't make the subject anyway fun. It's just far too boring!

I guess it just depends on your interests so as I liked Geo.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Chemistry: Easy if you like it, I did little study for it, but due in part to me enjoying the subject I should get an A easily.

History: Similar to Chemistry, I like the subject and so found this okay. I did little study for it, but if your interested in social attitudes and customs of era's and places you'll like it.

Business: I really didn't like this, however might get an A due to the fact that if one uses common sense on the exam you can automatically get a good grade.

That's just a few tips I would give, in essence just go for what you enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

biology:may be a long course but its intersting
    geography: total pain in the ass, i feel i got an A in it but the amount of work i put into it i dont know if its worth it, its just boring and too much learning about cities that have no relevance to me,some people may find it interesting but i just wanted to sleep in my geography classes
    german: i suppose youve already got a language from the junior cert but if your doing french and german id reccomend german, found the pronunciation and the written part a lot easier than french
    business: did it in fifth year and absolutely hated it, i loved it for the junior cert but thats very different to the leaving cert course, just a lot of learning things off, quite boring really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    Chemistry: Easy if you like it, I did little study for it, but due in part to me enjoying the subject I should get an A easily.

History: Similar to Chemistry, I like the subject and so found this okay. I did little study for it, but if your interested in social attitudes and customs of era's and places you'll like it.

Business: I really didn't like this, however might get an A due to the fact that if one uses common sense on the exam you can automatically get a good grade.

That's just a few tips I would give, in essence just go for what you enjoy :)

I did all those...and music...

Chemistry is very doable if you've got mathematical/scientific aptitude. Same goes for physics (which I REALLY regret not doing...)

I thought Business was the easiest optional subject I did. A lot of it's common sense, and the course isn't difficult at all. Just boring. Exam technique is vital though...

I found History really difficult, actually. I tried to study the course in too much depth, I think... The exam's kind of hit and miss - you can get very unlucky.

Music is one subject that you're either good at or you're not. It doesn't really reward hard work, and you can only study for a small part of the paper. I got an A in it in the JC so I decided to do it outside school... It's the kind of subject that lends itself to that...

Lots of people are recommending Geography it seems... I completely avoided doing it cos I HATED it for the JC. Life's too short to pick a subject you really don't like, even if it is easy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I have the choice of geography and physics. I found Junior Cert geography to be on and off with interest levels. Urban geography and resources was interesting, but stuff like geology and soil were fairly dull. Junior cert physics wasn't too bad, lots of trivial stuff...like law of the lever, which wasn't boring but wasn't exactly exciting, but energy and stuff was interesting.

Anyone have any experience on leaving cert physics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I did all those...and music...

Music is one subject that you're either good at or you're not. It doesn't really reward hard work, and you can only study for a small part of the paper. I got an A in it in the JC so I decided to do it outside school... It's the kind of subject that lends itself to that...

I wouldn't say that. It think it's more to do with how long you've been playing/studying music for. Unless you've already got a good voice, for most people 18 months is nowhere near enough time to learn an instrument.

jumpguy wrote: »
    I have the choice of geography and physics. I found Junior Cert geography to be on and off with interest levels. Urban geography and resources was interesting, but stuff like geology and soil were fairly dull. Junior cert physics wasn't too bad, lots of trivial stuff...like law of the lever, which wasn't boring but wasn't exactly exciting, but energy and stuff was interesting.

I didn't actually do physics, but I've heard from friends that it's nothing like JC physics... There's a lot of maths involved apparently.

I wouldn't say that. It think it's more to do with how long you've been playing/studying music for. Unless you've already got a good voice, for most people 18 months is nowhere near enough time to learn an instrument.

Yeah... Being able to play the piano for example gives you a huge advantage for music!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Can't tell you about geography but yes physics for JC is incredibly boring and nothing like Leaving Cert. You'll do a lot on electricity and nuclear physics as well as light, heat, sound and mechanics. There's a fair bit of maths too but nothing any JC HL maths student couldn't do if given the formulae.

Yah, physics is a great subject. It's course is about two thirds the size of chemistry's and about half that of biology's. It's pretty interesting too, depending on what you're into; it covers a broad spectrum of physics: from Newtonian mechanics to modern high energy physics. It also fits in rather nicely with chemistry in certain areas. Also, if you do applied maths you'll have about one third of the physics course known perfectly.

Also, don't mind what people say: it's very low in maths. content. Some problems require a bit of lateral thinking, but they're certainly not very mathematical.

It's a brilliant subject, and if you have any slight interest in it it's certainly one of the easiest A1s. (Oh, and don't do geography: it's horrible).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

its a laugh.........

once it starts youll be wondering why people talk about it so much. exploit it throughout the year though. precious leaving cert student.

advice?

yeah, if you do honours irish, do well enough in paper 1, listening and oral, but do not bother wasting your time with paper 2. complete time drain. actually, dont even go into the examhall for it. just go out town and enjoy a nice walnut whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

Its great craic, having a bit of a buzz with everyone else talking about how you did etc.
    Its also horribly overhyped, just don't let it overwhelm you and it'll be pish! Just make sure to cram like fúck and you'll achieve your dreams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Yah, physics is a great subject. It's course is about two thirds the size of chemistry's and about half that of biology's. It's pretty interesting too, depending on what you're into; it covers a broad spectrum of physics: from Newtonian mechanics to modern high energy physics. It also fits in rather nicely with chemistry in certain areas. Also, if you do applied maths you'll have about one third of the physics course known perfectly.

Also, don't mind what people say: it's very low in maths. content. Some problems require a bit of lateral thinking, but they're certainly not very mathematical.

It's a brilliant subject, and if you have any slight interest in it it's certainly one of the easiest A1s. (Oh, and don't do geography: it's horrible).

This. Physics is a brilliant subject and I almost find it amusing how much people talk about the maths side of it. It's generally of a lower standard than Junior Cert maths. It covers a wide range of topics so you'll find some that interest you (for me it was electricity and modern/particle physics,sound,light and heat,while I didn't like the mechanics side all that much).

I recommend it,fosho :D Oh,and I didn't do Geography,but yeah. Don't. ;)

Thanks alot! I think the choice is clear now, I'm grand with the HL JC maths anyway, so I'm not too worried about scary formulae and whatnot, and the positive feedback from ye is great. Looking at some physics exam papers, it all seems very interesting (even though I have no idea what to do with the long questions and most short ones).

Okay I know I'm being a pain in the hole now but I might as well milk the good advice while I have it, but although some of ye have said ye like chemistry, but what's it like? What do you cover? (I have the choice of business theory or chemistry)

Its the most amazing time of my life.
    I wish I could do it ten times over.
    The stress is brilliant.
    And the result of breaking out in spots from the stress is even more amazing.
    And the itchy-ness i get from using clearasil to remove those spots is wonderful. (Now I look like those gay german children off those clearasil ads).
    The late nighters from studying and the early-rising really makes my skin glow as well.. I hear "frown lines" are very good-looking nowadays, ya know!
    I'm always in the best of moods as I hit my head off walls and cry as I go to sleep (if I do!) each night.
    I'm so jealous that you will be able to go through all this next year like the way I did while I'm in college having the time of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

They don't allow boggers to take it. It's exclusive to cultured Dubs.

hey I enjoy going to the bogicon10.gif

wat ya sayin ya townieicon12.gif

Thanks alot! I think the choice is clear now, I'm grand with the HL JC maths anyway, so I'm not too worried about scary formulae and whatnot, and the positive feedback from ye is great. Looking at some physics exam papers, it all seems very interesting (even though I have no idea what to do with the long questions and most short ones).

Okay I know I'm being a pain in the hole now but I might as well milk the good advice while I have it, but although some of ye have said ye like chemistry, but what's it like? What do you cover? (I have the choice of business theory or chemistry)

Ah,you're not being annoying at all,it's great to be a help. Do chemistry :D It's amazing,I adored it. It ties in with physics really,really well in places and again,I found it to be interesting. Business would probably bore the hell out of you,from what I'm led to believe. The Chemistry course has a lot to do with atomic theory,atoms,the periodic table and trends and things like that. There's equilibrium, gases, reactions, electro-chemistry and the "scary" organic chemistry which is grand and systematic IMO. A section on water and acids/bases and pH,I personally hated water but enjoyed the rest of it. :D

Again, if I had a choice between chemistry and business, I know I'd pick chemistry. It's a pretty interesting subject, and it's not actually that hard if you work at it. It depends on where your interests lie, though; would you like to do something science related in college? If you would, then definitely pick chemistry. Plus, it's a requirement for medicine if that tickles your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

The only advice I'd give you is:

Don't be stupid like me, and ALWAYS READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY!

It might sound stupid, but just be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

AMixedBag wrote: »
    Its the most amazing time of my life.
    I wish I could do it ten times over.
    The stress is brilliant.
    And the result of breaking out in spots from the stress is even more amazing.
    And the itchy-ness i get from using clearasil to remove those spots is wonderful. (Now I look like those gay german children off those clearasil ads).
    The late nighters from studying and the early-rising really makes my skin glow as well.. I hear "frown lines" are very good-looking nowadays, ya know!
    I'm always in the best of moods as I hit my head off walls and cry as I go to sleep (if I do!) each night.
    I'm so jealous that you will be able to go through all this next year like the way I did while I'm in college having the time of my life.

haha, brilliant! my feelings exactly!!

Ah,you're not being annoying at all,it's great to be a help. Do chemistry :D It's amazing,I adored it. It ties in with physics really,really well in places and again,I found it to be interesting. Business would probably bore the hell out of you,from what I'm led to believe. The Chemistry course has a lot to do with atomic theory,atoms,the periodic table and trends and things like that. There's equilibrium, gases, reactions, electro-chemistry and the "scary" organic chemistry which is grand and systematic IMO. A section on water and acids/bases and pH,I personally hated water but enjoyed the rest of it. :D
    Thanks for the help! What's it like exam-wise?

Still loads of questions, I thought the chemistry at Junior Cert was good. My only gripe with it was unlike the other sciences, I couldn't relate much of it to real life, however, it did explain alot of the why's and what's. I think I'll do it in LC though. What makes the periodic table and atomic theory interesting, just outta curiosity? I probably will understand when I do it myself, JC is just very vague with the periodic table and rote-learning how to work with atoms and chemical conversions (like, not understanding how chemical equations work, just learning them off by heart).

Thanks for the help! What's it like exam-wise?

Still loads of questions, I thought the chemistry at Junior Cert was good. My only gripe with it was unlike the other sciences, I couldn't relate much of it to real life, however, it did explain alot of the why's and what's. I think I'll do it in LC though. What makes the periodic table and atomic theory interesting, just outta curiosity? I probably will understand when I do it myself, JC is just very vague with the periodic table and rote-learning how to work with atoms and chemical conversions (like, not understanding how chemical equations work, just learning them off by heart).

IMO,it's one of the fairest exams of the lot. A lot of choice,relatively predictable and again,fair. It tends to reflect your ability/work well :) Yeah,JC Chemistry is basically a lie,NGL. I find it hard to explain why I find it interesting,I guess I think it's cutting edge knowledge in a sense :D You'll definitely understand the equations for Leaving Cert,the ratios are very important for working certain things out but it's handy enough :D The maths in Chemistry is easy even compared to physics. Oh,and you also do the mole/stiochiometry,which is handy enough too,I forgot to put that into my previous post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

In fairness JC physics is a lie "energy cannot be created or destroyed" hit it with a bit of E=mc^2 and **** you JC Physics.

Physics exam is bollox. check the marking schemes, its literally random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

And don't worry about feeling inadequate after the high standard of buzzers we have set, the L.C. class of 2009 is far to savage to live up to...it's not your fault that ye won't be as savage as us!

• Advertisement

What if everyone in Ireland was dyslexic?
    Would we all not have to do Irish?
    These are the questions that confuse me..
    hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

Advertisement