Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How were the exams/what are good subjects to do

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

How did you all get on in general? Was it as nerve-wracking as it was cut out to be?

I've got it all ahead of me, 2010:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Basically it's like the Summer Exams, not a big deal at all. (Unless you let it be, so relax!)

The only advice I have is:

1: don't drink 2 litres of cheapo cola an hour before your English exam
    2: Don't rely on predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Start tipping away early enough and you'll be grand.

By that i mean just start learning everything you need to learn!! No need to revise stuff too much, just learn definitions/methods and the likes, makes revision so much easier whenever you decide to start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

yeah the only bad thing was going into History, realising I'd done basically none of what came up and just trying to waffle my way to some marks. Everything else was grand considering I'd done little or no study going into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

I relied on predictions for the Institute and it worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Register1

Hi there,

Just wondering what subjects you found most managable content and exam wise or what subjects are easier to get a good mark in.

Thanks

Reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I would advise that you do a reasonable amount of continuous study and then increase the amount of effort you are putting in as you approach the exams.

No matter what your teachers say you do not need to be studying as long as they say you do. It is simply a tactic to get you to do your best.

Try to avoid putting pressure on your self and if possible try to avoid pressure being put on you by others. It is counter intuitive as the time you spend worrying about the exams could be used in a constructive manner.

The Leaving Certificate is not everything it is made out to be. As long as you know the information you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

There are no easy subjects. No matter what the result you get will be dependent on the work you put in.

As for manageable subjects however Geography is ok as long as you have an interest and can remember factual information.
    Business would also work well however you need to know how to answer the questions in the correct format to get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Depends on you tbh, i prefer mathsy and problem solving, others prefer to rote learn off things.

Theres no easy subject tbh, i find some easier but then others would find the same one impossible (Applied maths being a prime example)

Ask your guidance councillor. teachers, parents and friends. If your school was anything like mine theres no bothers changing for the first 2 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

History
    Classics
    Chemistry

LOL only joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Over hyped indeed. Do not rely on predictions for history, waste of time. Predictions on English and Irish do work.

Study early as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Eh its not nearly as bad as your teachers make it out to be as long as your doing homework through all of 6th year you can start studying a month or so before hand depending on how much you have done for your subjects!

Dont rely 100% on predictions but know them well because chances are some of them will come up and if they do you will be sorted!worked for me!

And best of luck a year in advance ha hope nothing happens to your english paper 2 ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 -JackRedmond-

English - honours- was grand, a bit of a week before job, you can predict the poets and can study 2 outta the 3 comparitive types and get away with it. My advice is not to do the short stories because its really hard to get marks on.

Maths - i did pass, and it seems to come easy to me but my advice is to take your notes in class if the teacher is not telling you too.

Irish - i did pass again, you can predict what poems will come up and stories seem to come up every year so you can manipulate them. i left out bimse buan and lig sinn and got away with it. THANK GOD

French - honours - bit of a night before job but if your a good worker all year it will come naturally to you. my teacher told us not to write above the recommended (i.e 75/90 words) but on COUNTDOWN TO 306 and the woman (corrina i think) said you gotta write above that for an A, so i duno? i got a B1 in the mocks though!

History - honours- oh where do i start, the exam was a complete waste of 2 years worth of history classes, i did the document grand, the irish topic one with parnell essay grand except i left out Amnesty association for Butt. Irish topic 2 was a nightmare, wrote a page! A PAGE! im down 90 marks or so at least... and then european was grand my suggestion? learn learn learn learn...paragraphs with the headings "Curragh Mutiny" or "Plan of Campaign" or "Shipbuilding in Jarrow before the March" keep doing them and you'll be grand. History was a total nightmare im expecting a low C.

Art - honours- my adivce for the history side is to learn ther gallery question! its an easy 50 marks like. it comes up every year. my exam went brilliant ! my supertindent even told me i'd get an A on my drawing and poster alone.

Biology - honours- i studied all year and i mean all year and didnt go back on it. my mistake ! the night before i fell asleep going back over it in a hurry. im expecting a C. MY ADVICE is to study and go back over and STUDY and go back over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

phasers wrote: »
    History
    Classics

Actually I found them nice, in fairness though, classics was a bit easy, covered the Aneid and most of the architecture for JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 -JackRedmond-

history is a pain in the *ss

biology is a long course but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

"Trying is the first step towards failure" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

And if your L.C. exams go badly just remember these words:

"If at first you don't succseed, fuck it have a bottle":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

The leavin itself isnt bad its just the lead up to it thats the pain in the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Who cares how it was, it's over!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

really do learn everything as you go along and you'll be fine! they're grand! really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

MY ONLY ADVICE DONT SAY;;

SURE ITS 8MONTHS AWAY ILL START WORK AFTER HALLOWEEN,,

AH ILL START STUDYIN AFTER X-MAS,

AH SURE EASTER IS SOON ENOUGH TOO START,

SURE THEIRS SIX WEEKS LEFT YET ILL GET LOADS DONE AFTER GRAD,

HMMM I COULD STUDY NOW BUT NAH IM GOING OUT ILL STUDY IN THE MORNING BEFORE THE EXAM! ILL BE GRAND,

^^^I DID THAT BUT CAUGHT MYSELF AT NUMBER 4
    DIDNT DO TOO BAD CONSIDERIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Don't believe the hype. The LC is WAY easier than people say...

Some tips:
    1. Don't only learn like 3 topics in History cos predicting doesn't work for it. I studied about 3/4 of the course (a lot more than most people, it would seem) and it REALLY paid off... I don't think anyone could have foreseen what would come up in that paper.

2. Start working for maths early... You can't cram for it. Same goes for subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Accounting...

3. DO leave stuff out in English. They say 5 poets will cover you but study more than around 3 and you're wasting a lot of valuable time.

4. If you do music, again I'd recommend focusing on things that haven't come up for a while in the Irish section. I picked out about 6 topics for the essay that hadn't come up in a while, and I was able to do ALL the questions on the day :D

5. Don't leave stuff out in Business either. It's one subject where almost every chapter comes up in some shape or form.

Best of luck... People say you shouldn't cram but it's very beneficial at times:D

^^

I think you can cram for maths as long as you have like 2 free weeks and study notting else

I started math after grad after not doing a exam paper question in 8 weeks( got lazy):D and I did alright
    but if your going to cram 3/4 of the course into 2 weeks you need to
    not mess around:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

oh and the 'less stress' books are brilliant! failed bio in the mocks, bought the book and got an A1 in the LC! same with maths, got a d in mocks, got a B2 in LC! as far as i remember they were the results! they're good as a chapter summary if you're doing your study that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

This may take a day or so but it's worth it - when you're bored some day over the summer, type up or write out all your past papers according to each topic/area. So for each topic within each subject, you have all of the past exam questions together.

Then, as you're covering each area in school, just make sure you understand it. Personally I don't think there's much point in learning things off as you go along - it just doesn't work for me, my long-term memory isn't great - but just make sure you understand it. It might take you two hours to get your head round a particular concept in Maths or one of the Science subjects, but it's better to spend that two hours early on in the year when you have time than right before the exams!

Keep up to date with your homework all along. Then, from about Easter onwards, start studying properly. Do out a detailed, realistic study timetable for each subject. Stick to it as much as you can, but allow a couple of "miscellaneous" hours per week to catch up on any study you missed. This is when you'll be glad of organising the past paper questions in plenty of time, as you can use them as you're revising each topic!

And finally, easier said than done, but just don't stress too much. Eat properly and keep up some form of a social life! Good luck :)

if this is the one useful peice of advice I ever give anyone let it be it

Agricultural science

The easyest subject known to man and I know what your sayin
    heres a farmer but im not:D
    I did this subject outside school this year because engineering
    wasnt going well for me ie. I did 9 exams,

but we covered the whole course in a class of thirty in a community center by march and we started 3ed week of september and
    did 2hours a week
    did the exam to day I easyly got a A1
    your ment to write 3-4 lines for aquestion
    and seriously I was writing a page it was so easy

if you are going into 5th year and have 2years to cover this course
    youll be a genius....and NB.
    theres massive common areas between this geography and
    biology

if your school does the subject do it!

:)

any hu any one no whats with dublin people and there classics never heard of it????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

phasers wrote: »
    History
    Classics
    Chemistry

LOL only joking

I actually thought history was very easy and manageable. OP do what you like. What you find easy will depend on your interests. For example the physics course seems to be much smaller than the biology or chemistry ones but most people wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Secoundrow wrote: »
    any hu any one no whats with dublin people and there classics never heard of it????

They don't allow boggers to take it. It's exclusive to cultured Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

For the love of God man don't do History! I had and still have a great interest in History but not in the History you have to learn for L.C., it nearly killed it for me. The vast majority of people that do History end up loathing the coarse by the end, sounds like a generalisation but it's actually true.

Seriously man, no matter how well you do in Junior Cert. History it's in no way a reflection on Leaving Cert. History. I got a B in J.C History, it would require a MAJOR correcting fumble for me to get that now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

Geography!
    <= Best subject ever ;):D

Advertisement