Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History degree?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Babbit wrote: »
    Don't rise to him mate. He's the sort of UCD shinner I was talking about. For the likes of him, being Irish means beating ones chest, drinking pints of Stout and liking GAA.
    " drinking pints of Stout and liking GAA. " What's wrong with that ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Please don't reply to people who've been banned. /Mod.

Aedh, there are fairly limited job prospects for a history graduate, this is why I was always asked if I was going to be a teacher when I told people I studied English and History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

Please don't reply to people who've been banned. /Mod.

Aedh, there are fairly limited job prospects for a history graduate, this is why I was always asked if I was going to be a teacher when I told people I studied English and History.

English and history? One would have thought you'd have nudged something halfway useful in there :p

They were pretty useful for getting into the masters programme, and for getting a phd place, but not much else!

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian. Do you mind me asking you what you do now? Or what jobs have you got with the degree?

I'm doing an MA. There would be options to on to something like museum curator or stuff like that after a history degree if you did a followup programme, but those sort of jobs are limited.

I'm doing an MA. There would be options to on to something like museum curator or stuff like that after a history degree if you did a followup programme, but those sort of jobs are limited.

I'm hopefully going to do a MA next year. Where are you doing yours? Is there much hastle in order to get on to a PHD programme?

I also suppose getting a studentship is out of the question. Particularly in my case - getting a first at this stage is a mathematical possibility, but an extremely implausible one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I don't that's an entirely accurate statement. A history degree provides you with a huge number of skills that equip you to move into other areas of education or work, if you so desire.

I know lots of people with history degrees who have diversified into numerous different areas of work: broadcasting, research, business, law, banking, executive assistants in universities, businesses, etc. as well as the stereotypical areas such as teaching.

For example, of the 16 individuals in my history degree class, we've all taken different paths. Of those I've kept in touch with these are the areas into which we ventured:

three went into the legal world; two became secondary school teachers; five of us went into the postgrad world and did PhDs; one became an executive assistance for the IRFU; one went back to their day job of being a doctor, and I don't know what the other four did.

Your degree - any degree - is just a basis or platform from which you can diversify and enter your chosen career path.

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I did business (focus on accounting) in college for 4 years and got a 2.1 out of that but haven't put it to any proper use as of yet. I don't have any interest in accountancy fwiw. I'm looking for jobs at the moment but I'm also thinking about the long-term - what do I want to be doing 5-10 years time? I don't know what a history degree will bring to me, if anything...

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I did business (focus on accounting) in college for 4 years and got a 2.1 out of that but haven't put it to any proper use as of yet. I don't have any interest in accountancy fwiw. I'm looking for jobs at the moment but I'm also thinking about the long-term - what do I want to be doing 5-10 years time? I don't know what a history degree will bring to me, if anything...

You should think about doing a cert. course for a year, part time. Maynooth does an excellent night class teaching local history techniques. That would give you the skills and background to prepare for an MA, if desired.

I wouldn't reccomend doing a three or four year full time BA, considering you already have a degree. You won't exactly pick up anything new other than time and maturity by doing a history degree. You can do the reading and research yourself, there's nothing particularly difficult in it. Though by doing something like a local history course you can learn from the bottom up the very fundamentals of history and essay writing before getting ready for a MA.

Advertisement