Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cozzy66

robo008 wrote: »
    Hey, Finally been invited to attend training, excited but nervous!!... Got till March to get everything sorted. However I dont drive... Whats the easiest way to get down to Templemore? Bus? or is there a train?, without giving too much away coming from the Dublin area....? If someone could help I would be more than grateful.

Hi, do you mind me asking, when you did your medical ect? And when was it that you got the email to attend training. Have they given you a date when phase 1 will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 atreyugk

Hey it was approx 6-7 months wait from final meeting with super until I received the date for the medical and 3 weeks from medical to email inviting me to training! I got that yesterday and the start date is 3rd week in march. I started the process in September '10 i hope this helps you! It would be interesting to know if this is the average waiting time!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 atreyugk

Just a question on phase 1, can anyone explain the process for the 2 days please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blake101

Hello Everybody.

I applied in sept 11, passed the interview in december and Im waiting on the BR form.
    I rang HQ on Friday and I was told they'll be back to me 'sooner rather then later' Is this just to shut me up?? Are they going though the process quicker because of the new training regime??

Secondly and not importantly! I read on another thread that once 'passed out' the reserves get a badge/ID? Is that true? Just curious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cozzy66

blake101 wrote: »
    Hello Everybody.

I applied in sept 11, passed the interview in december and Im waiting on the BR form.
    I rang HQ on Friday and I was told they'll be back to me 'sooner rather then later' Is this just to shut me up?? Are they going though the process quicker because of the new training regime??

Secondly and not importantly! I read on another thread that once 'passed out' the reserves get a badge/ID? Is that true? Just curious!!!

Hi I also passed the interview in dec.. And I am waiting on the BR also... I have not contacted HQ yet, did they say anything else when you were onto them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Hello do you need the BR form or are you waitng for the medical?? From what I can remember about the BR form is you get an e-mail telling you have passed the interview stage of the application process. After this you look up the BR form yourself which is here:https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:shDg40IzQyMJ:www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/06053_BR_Form_June09.doc+garda+reserve+br+form&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi6bvphlUlVwXTAfkt7WjUgccn53_MlMFcQC56igR9tb17r4KX0E2AJqMizUGirjaeQ-hqf7PwbttolUFA_kixOOKQHAO2D5QwxmgTEhRPIYuh-5e6SE6wurIZDsVWj3GTxrLWj&sig=AHIEtbQtee4fTSlEenpybdaMqZ-u9QgriA .
    Make sure you have got some kind of confirmation that you have passed the interview before filling this form in and bringing to your local Garda Station! After this youll be waiting a few months could be more than a year in some cases for the medical. All I can say is its worth the wait and to just hang in there because its a horrible wait and all that but best of luck in it and hopefully ill be working with ye some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Steveo.

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for a little help please. I've done all the necessary meetings in my local station etc, now I have been waiting a good few years since I applied for the GR, I received a letter from the assistant commissioner that the Garda Commissioner has now excepted me as a GR, I have the medical in about a week now, I've been reading other people's posts on and about people failing, my hearing and vision is pretty good etc, but what is worrying me is my right calf I've a varicose vein that's a little noticeable, but does not effect me in anyway, it was brought on by years of low kicks in martial arts as I am still active in competitions.
    Are my wasting my time going for the medical now would you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Steveo. wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for a little help please. I've done all the necessary meetings in my local station etc, now I have been waiting a good few years since I applied for the GR, I received a letter from the assistant commissioner that the Garda Commissioner has now excepted me as a GR, I have the medical in about a week now, I've been reading other people's posts on and about people failing, my hearing and vision is pretty good etc, but what is worrying me is my right calf I've a varicose vein that's a little noticeable, but does not effect me in anyway, it was brought on by years of low kicks in martial arts as I am still active in competitions.

No your not wasting time if this is something your after been waiting for awhile. I would tell you to go for it. As far as I am aware just let them do their checks, they only really check BMI, Eyes, Hearing really main things you should be fine defiantly go for it. Let us know how you get on all the best.

Smiley963

smiley963 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

No your not wasting time if this is something your after been waiting for awhile. I would tell you to go for it. As far as I am aware just let them do their checks, they only really check BMI, Eyes, Hearing really main things you should be fine defiantly go for it. Let us know how you get on all the best.

Smiley963

Cheers Smiley

I hope it goes well. It's hard to find other GR down in Kerry, you know, to be able to chat with get a feel for what's to come,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Cheers Smiley

I hope it goes well. It's hard to find other GR down in Kerry, you know, to be able to chat with get a feel for what's to come,

most GRs can help you with 99% of all reserve related stuff but the medical is one that they cant!

only a member of the garda medical staff can help you on that! we all went through the same medical, yes, but we just got told pass or fail so your issue could pass or fail you, i cant say if it will or not! no GR can

they do specifically look for varicous veins as far as i know but what severity etc is totally up to the opinion of the doctor

I banjoed myself in the gym days before hand and was full sure Id be failed on the flexibility test but I passed it with a little bit of whincing. it was a small injury that remedied quickly so im sure the doc will know whats workable, fixable and fine

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Cheers Smiley

most GRs can help you with 99% of all reserve related stuff but the medical is one that they cant!

only a member of the garda medical staff can help you on that! we all went through the same medical, yes, but we just got told pass or fail so your issue could pass or fail you, i cant say if it will or not! no GR can

they do specifically look for varicous veins as far as i know but what severity etc is totally up to the opinion of the doctor

I banjoed myself in the gym days before hand and was full sure Id be failed on the flexibility test but I passed it with a little bit of whincing. it was a small injury that remedied quickly so im sure the doc will know whats workable, fixable and fine

Hi Everyone,

Quick line.

Had the medical today in Garda HQ, went fantastic & passed.
    Heading to Templemore on the 3rd & 4th for training.

To those of you that passed your medical today congratulations to each & every one of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

well done steveo, give em hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Well done!!
    Hi Everyone,

Quick line.

Had the medical today in Garda HQ, went fantastic & passed.
    Heading to Templemore on the 3rd & 4th for training.

To those of you that passed your medical today congratulations to each & every one of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Due to work commitments I was not able to do the 2 weeks training in March so I put myself down for the July 3rd - 17th slot......anyone else heading these 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

Will be seeing ya down there steveo. Well done. Where you heading from?

Will be seeing ya down there steveo. Well done. Where you heading from?

Hi Rosie,

All the way from Tralee, it's only about a two hour drive.
    Yeah I'll see you there too

Just got my email inviting me to Phase 1 training on June 14th.....anyone else going that date?

Just got my email inviting me to Phase 1 training on June 14th.....anyone else going that date?
    Did you only get the email today !! Congrats

No yesterday.....thank you! Are you going down?

No yesterday.....thank you! Are you going down?
    I wish I'm still waiting on me checks don't no wat the story is don't see how they do be so slow checking people I'm delighted for you anyway.

• Advertisement

Well good luck and hope you dont have to wait as long as me.......I passed my initial interview in February 2007!:mad:

Well good luck and hope you dont have to wait as long as me.......I passed my initial interview in February 2007!:mad:
    Jesus that was long. You mud had lots of people on your BR form did you.

My dad has 9 in his family and 9 in my mothers! Northern Ireland, Republic and England had to be covered!

Also failed the medical on my eyesight so that was delayed till I got laser eye surgery!

My dad has 9 in his family and 9 in my mothers! Northern Ireland, Republic and England had to be covered!

Also failed the medical on my eyesight so that was delayed till I got laser eye surgery!
    Ah ri I see that was tough on you least you got it sorted your there now. Shows how much you wanted that's good all paid off fair play. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sky13

HI, i got e-mail too, starting on june 14th ....

sky13 wrote: »
    HI, i got e-mail too, starting on june 14th ....

Are you heading down on Wednesday night? We should get a group together and carpool!

Hiya, ya i am going to go down on wed, when i passed the medical they said first phase was starting on 3/4 march, but was too short notice. Are you going down wed.? where you travelling from ? !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 carlbre

Are you heading down on Wednesday night? We should get a group together and carpool!

few more people on here about next week's intake... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660360

Hi thanks for that carlbre

• Advertisement

sky13 wrote: »
    Hiya, ya i am going to go down on wed, when i passed the medical they said first phase was starting on 3/4 march, but was too short notice. Are you going down wed.? where you travelling from ? !

Yeah I'm going down the Wednesday and coming from Dundalk.......I was supposed to go down in March too!

Advertisement