Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Thanks folks.

Looks to be a very different concept to the way "part-time policing" is operated in the noth. We are paid, exercise full police powers, can work unsupervised etc. I wonder why it was decided to go down the unpaid volunteer route? Cost? I don't think it bodes well for retention, commitment and so on, I wouldn't DREAM of turning in for duty if I wasn't getting paid, perhaps I'm just an old mercenary at heart...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Part Timer

Hi,wondering if any reserves in training or on duty who are in late 20's to early 30's thinking of applying for full time or have already applied,the salary would be my main concern for 2-3 yrs,any thoughts?
    I am in my early 20's and in the reserve. I hope to become a fulltime member, though i had an interview recently and was rejected, so being in the reserve is no gaurantee to get in. The salary is fairly bad until phase 4 but from talking to a few gaurds, you can get a loan from the garda credit union to tide you over until you start earning half decent money. Over time and allowances for unsocial hours are supposed to be very good but as far as i know these only come into play in phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Part Timer wrote: »
    I am in my early 20's and in the reserve. I hope to become a fulltime member, though i had an interview recently and was rejected, so being in the reserve is no gaurantee to get in. The salary is fairly bad until phase 4 but from talking to a few gaurds, you can get a loan from the garda credit union to tide you over until you start earning half decent money. Over time and allowances for unsocial hours are supposed to be very good but as far as i know these only come into play in phase 4.

did you have a bad experience on duty or have something go wrong on you?

how are you getting on in general in the reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey part timer, ya how do you find the reserve in general, is there many young people in the Reserves? Its just im 17 from killarney co.kerry, i applied for the reserves passed the interview and all semt off my gr2 2 days ago just waiting to be called for an interview with the superintindent........... When itook it in the searfent said i was the first ever to apply from killarney but just woundering do they take on many young people??

lehanemore wrote: »
    did you have a bad experience on duty or have something go wrong on you?

how are you getting on in general in the reserve?
    No bad experience's really and i didn't make any mistakes that i am aware of. I was told several times that i was doing a good job by sergeants and an inspector, and seem to be highly regarded by the full time members. Best thing is to follow the lead of the Gaurd and assist as required.
    The Garda Reserve is a great experience for anyone even if they don't want to become a full time member. I would highly recommend joining. I am waiting on feedback from the interview so that should shed light on where i went down

• Advertisement

Thanks Part Timer, but do they have many young members??like i said im only 17 just waiting for the interview with the superintindent...... I would also have in mind joining the full time force in the future if i got in.......

Hey part timer, ya how do you find the reserve in general, is there many young people in the Reserves? Its just im 17 from killarney co.kerry, i applied for the reserves passed the interview and all semt off my gr2 2 days ago just waiting to be called for an interview with the superintindent........... When itook it in the searfent said i was the first ever to apply from killarney but just woundering do they take on many young people??
    The Garda Reserve is great experience. Just be yourself and dont have an attitude and you will be fine. Ya there is alot of young people joining. The group i was in for phase 1 and 3 had someone who was 18. It shouldn't hold you back, though as far as i know you probably wont be able to start training until you are 18. Best of Luck with your interview.

Ok thanks, i definatly wont have an attitude trust me i always wanted to be a member of An Garda Síocána, and yes i am aware i wont be able to start training untill im 18 but ill be 18 very shortly so if i pass this interview & the Gr2 clears by the time thats done and the medical i would be definatly 18........... The only thing im worried about is my brother, in the past he have got in loads of trouble with the gardaí have you any advice/thoughts on this as im sure the local super will bring this up....

Ok thanks, i definatly wont have an attitude trust me i always wanted to be a member of An Garda Síocána, and yes i am aware i wont be able to start training untill im 18 but ill be 18 very shortly so if i pass this interview & the Gr2 clears by the time thats done and the medical i would be definatly 18........... The only thing im worried about is my brother, in the past he have got in loads of trouble with the gardaí have you any advice/thoughts on this as im sure the local super will bring this up....
    The Super will probably be more interested in getting to know you and that you are a good person. I had a cousin who was in some very serious trouble(facing hard jail time) several years ago and the local Gaurds were well aware of this but it was never brought up during the interview. If he does bring it up you could just tell him that you never approved of or engaged in your brothers behaviour and that you were never fully aware of what he was at or what level of trouble he was in. You are only responsible for yourself and no one else, and the fact that you are 17 he will not hold it against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 celticvolunteer

Hello all potential reserve people..
    well i have jumped through all the hoops to get into the reserve and am currently in training... the training is really good and the garda are just ordinary people trying to make a living like the rest of us... its great to get an insight in to the workings of the garda and they are really very helpful in every way....
    i have to travel a long way to get to my allocated training station and it costs me money to get to and from the training .. the 1000 euro is only a pittance really but its not for the money that i joined... but it could be a factor in the long term as the reserve has high standards and such people that have been successful in being accepted ultimatley might move on and use the experience to better themselves and ultimately it would be a loss to the concept of the force...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

Hello all potential reserve people..
    well i have jumped through all the hoops to get into the reserve and am currently in training... the training is really good and the garda are just ordinary people trying to make a living like the rest of us... its great to get an insight in to the workings of the garda and they are really very helpful in every way....
    i have to travel a long way to get to my allocated training station and it costs me money to get to and from the training .. the 1000 euro is only a pittance really but its not for the money that i joined... but it could be a factor in the long term as the reserve has high standards and such people that have been successful in being accepted ultimatley might move on and use the experience to better themselves and ultimately it would be a loss to the concept of the force...

I totally agree with celticvolunteer. The expenses are just pittance, but its still a great thing to have complete and have on your CV, even if you only stay in the reserve force and never decide to join the fulltimers. At least thats what I think anyway and anyone who goes out of their way to join an organisation on a voluntary basis has to be commended.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Hi lads
    I am currently in phase 2, but I was just wondering if we can have any say in what our station will be when we have attested. I am about 10 mile from one and 40 from the other, so therefore would prefer the nearest one.
    So just wondering can we have any input into the station choice or have we to go where we are told???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

BreakingNews.ie - Garda Reserve misses recruitment target 06/04/2008 - 11:05:42

The Garda Reserve has recruited less than 20% of its target numbers.

According to the Department of Justice, 1,400 reserve posts were planned to bolster the Gardaí.

However, there are currently only 264 members, with another 54 in training.

The first reservists were hired in August 2006.

The majority of those that have qualified since then have been deployed in Dublin, with others in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Sligo.

There are also some lone reservists posted in stations in Donegal, Kerry and Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I haven't bothrered to examine all 74 pages so far. I'm hoping some of the posts refer to full timers, not G R. Do (unpaid) Reservists have to get Hepatitis B injections? at whose expense? do G R go to Templemore for training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Does anyone know - do you have to inform your employer that you are joining the GR. You wouldn't have to inform them for other voluntary work so I'm hoping that you aren't required to for this.

Chipboard wrote: »
    Does anyone know - do you have to inform your employer that you are joining the GR. You wouldn't have to inform them for other voluntary work so I'm hoping that you aren't required to for this.

doubt it, but then if you got injured and couldn't come to work or had to go to a court appearance then they'd have to know wouldn't you think?

ladies and gentlemen of the GR, where are ye?

how're you getting on?
    what's it like?
    would you recommend it now after 3/6/9 months of duty?
    anyone get injured?
    anyone quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Diairist wrote: »
    I haven't bothrered to examine all 74 pages so far. I'm hoping some of the posts refer to full timers, not G R. Do (unpaid) Reservists have to get Hepatitis B injections? at whose expense? do G R go to Templemore for training?

Reserves spend 2 weekends in Templemore, they are advised to get the hep jabs, they can be done in hq at no expense, you dont have to though just advised, but good advice I think !!!

lehanemore wrote: »
    ladies and gentlemen of the GR, where are ye?

how're you getting on?
    what's it like?
    would you recommend it now after 3/6/9 months of duty?
    anyone get injured?
    anyone quit?
    Hi, all good so far, def recommend it , well run, interesting, if you are thinking of applying I say go ahead you will like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Chipboard wrote: »

u do need to inform ur employer, but not in a formal way,
    after u submitted ur gr2, the HR guys will definitely call ur employer for a verbal ref.

although it's optional, u might consider to give the garda 2 written refs from 2 people whom u have known for over 5 yrs.

i have uploaded the gr2 form on ul (the form is too big to be uploaded on this web)

http://www.uploading.com/files/3976BY79/Form_GR2(2).doc.html

the notes for gr2 is below

• Advertisement

Hi, all good so far, def recommend it , well run, interesting, if you are thinking of applying I say go ahead you will like it.

thanks Leinsterdude, waiting on medical here:cool:

40 hrs on the job in pahse 4......Hi anyone tell me exactly what they did on this 40 hrs, were they lest in station mostly,did they read all the application forms,were they on the beat,were they taken seriously etc,many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

shakin wrote: »
    and also the 56hrs training where does this happen and over how long?
    cheers
    Its stated that P2 is 56 hours of legal studies on weekdays and weekends. My group have just started P2 studies and we have to complete it by the end of November.

i found that quote and a few more relating to the 56hours from Phase2 on page 28...worth reading through the thread if you're still planning on going through with signing up...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Just got word from the GR office to attend a medical prior to phase 1 which starts in June. It's been a long process - applied for this July 07, did test and interview in Oct, had Sgnt interview in Nov, Super interview in Feb and now just got word of the meds! Fingers crossed I'll pass !!!!

Anyone else going hoping to start phase 1 in June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hi marymulr, just wondering where you're based? Are you from Dublin or the country? Just wondering becuase I applied and it seems that 3 months is the minimum waiting period and I'll be away for a good bit of the summer. Maybe the waiting list in Dublin isn't too long......

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hi marymulr, just wondering where you're based? Are you from Dublin or the country? Just wondering becuase I applied and it seems that 3 months is the minimum waiting period and I'll be away for a good bit of the summer. Maybe the waiting list in Dublin isn't too long......

Hi KarloK, am based in Dublin - must be a slow process in general round the country.... I havent heard from anyone getting through the process sooner than 8-10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Thanks marymulr! Hopefully I hear from them soon even if it's just to get the interview over with! Hope all goes well for you in the medical and that you make the June training session! Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

marymulr wrote: »
    Just got word from the GR office to attend a medical prior to phase 1 which starts in June. It's been a long process - applied for this July 07, did test and interview in Oct, had Sgnt interview in Nov, Super interview in Feb and now just got word of the meds! Fingers crossed I'll pass !!!!

Ha i wish i was i dono tho...... its just exacally 3weeks since i handed in my gr2 form, i still havnt met the seargent & super, so i doubt ill be called for the medical before this..... but if i dont anyway does anyone know when the next Phase1 is starting???:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

marymulr wrote: »

Hi marymulr, I'm one of those waiting awhile now for clearance and a medical, started this whole process back in Feb 07!! Don't know if your allowed to say here, perhaps send me a PM just in case, but when in June does the next course start? On hols begining, so probably my luck I'll get called up then, if I pass the medical that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Anyone going down to Templemore Weekend 10/11th May?

Advertisement