Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a bit of fun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Week 4, Day 4
    Session 8x200m with pe3try

So tonite i was joined by peter, and we decided today was the day to do a speed work session ahead of a duel next wednesday in the 800m. The aim is pbs for both of us, he is a longer distance runner so running a good 800m will bring his 3k times down hopefully as a result. Me on the other hand used to train just for 800m but never really had the speed to really compete with the faster runners, so now I train for 15s but running a good 800m is vital for my training. This year I have done alot more miles then I would normally do but I think that the miles have made me alot stronger but as a result I feel like i have no speed in my legs. So hopefully a session or two of speed work will wake my legs up. Todays session was as follows:

8x200m, recover 1min after first one but rec goes up 30s every rep
    We had said that we will start off easy and work into it. Our first one was 28seconds, peter prob ran a bit quicker on a few of the first ones as he started a bit back on me and then got on my shoulder. but the times were reasonable enough:

Although my last two were fast, One the first few I was holding back and prob should have pushed it. I felt grand running at that pace, and there seems to be a bit of speed in these legs of mine. As always I come away from a session thinkin, awh if only I could do that one over. But sure its over, ill take it and move on. We will just run now till monday, do a flat out 300m and then rest up till the race

Next stop pb-ville

Weel 4, Day 6
    50mins(7miles)

Friday me and peter decided to take a nice and well deserved day off just to let the legs recover from thursdays session. Peter hasnt done anything like that in almost forever so his legs needed the rest. As for me my legs felt good today and im confident going into my next few races that if we keep plugging along the times will drop very fast. We decided just to do a shorter run and then tomorow head up to the mountains for a run. The plan is to just drive up and run I havent a clue were we mite be going but sure its a change of secenary and it will be a good work out. Thats all for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭RJM22

Nice log - pretty solid 8x200m session there, nice stuff - hope u break some more pbs...I'll have to come down and gatecrash this new track too!

Week 4, Day 7
    LSR- 60mins(8miles of hills)

Ok so today yet again I joined up with my training partner peter. Over the last few weeks we have really pulled each other on in the last few weeks. I enjoy running with this dude as he makes the runs more enjoyable. He is a longer distance runner so its good to have that to train off. Im more of a shorter distance runner so we both feed of each other. Anyways back to the run.

We decided to head up to the dublin mountains. Peter drove up to aylesbury chruch parked his car and off we went. After a shaky start were I had to do a stop off, we got into a nice pace. Nothing that put me under pressure. We hit kiltiper and there is two climbs, one is a steep hill which was grand, then its about half a mile down the road is the second hill and its gradual and very windey. Its a great sight when you get to the top but we kept going. After that is a very steep hill that we bombed down but we ran then on the tallaght by pass up for a bit and there is no path so we nearly got our elbows wacked off by the passing cars and then we turned around and headed back the same route that included that hill that we bombed down. That was by far the hardest part of the run, once that was done it was all down hill from there lol. We got in 59mins so it was around 8miles or so but very very comfortable, and as always enjoyable. Tomorow has me doing a nice 45min run and a flat out 300m and then just 30mins on Tuesday and then RACE TIME. Anyways ill keep you all posted on tomorows run and session.

Week 5, Day 1
    40mins(6miles) 4x200m(30s)

So today was an easy run, not too long with the race on wednesday. With peter in work tonite I joined up with ecoli for this run. We were going pretty steady and it turned out to be a nice day to run, even tho I was wearing wet gear and absolutly sweating by the time I got in from the run. I was ment to do a flat out 300m today but I would have had to do it on my own, and my legs werent feeling great so I did a few 2s pretty steady in my spikes. Legs felt good doing the 2s but nots so good during the run. Prob still a bit tired from the run. Anyways tomorow ill hook up with peter for a nice 20-30min run, till then so far so good. Wish me good luck for wednesday:D

• Advertisement

Week 5, Day 2
    20mins + drills and stretching

Tonight me peter and fitzington just did an easy 20mins on the track. Feeling good for tomorow. It should be a good day, there is a few of the lads from the club running. Myself, ecoli, peter and fitzington and also sean connolly and eoin dunne also so it will be good. Its turning out to be one of the most exciting graded meeting and im glad that they added the Morton mile in instead of havin a seperate meeting. It adds to the atmosphere of the graded. Hopefully there will be some good races and hopefully we all come away with pbs. I think we all know what the race of the nite/year is going to be.

DJS vs P3try
    pbs:
    2.05 vs 2.11*(2years ago will destroy this)
    4.24 vs 4.19i(indoors)

I think this will be a very close race and im really looking forward to racing him as last time we had a race it went right down to the wire in a club race!

Anyways ill let ya all know how I got on tomorow. Must try and get some sleep:D

Week 5, Day 3
    RACE 800m 2nd(2.07.42)

So tonight was the race night. I had been looking forward to the race now for soon time. I was feeling confident that I could go for a pb. The day itself was a crazy one and ill tell you why.
    We met up in peters gaf and just chilled playing xbox(ur mine next time peter) Till we had to go, there was four of us in the car with ecoli driving.
    It had been raining for awhile before we left. We were driving along the M50 when a car pulled infront of us, only a few seconds later the fella infront of the car that pulled in slammed on his brakes and we skidded into the back of the car infront of us hitting it pretty hard and nearly skidding into the next lane, thankfully ecoli was able to stear us back into our own lane and everyone was ok, it so could have been worse.
    So we got to santry anyway after everythin, the car was in pretty bad shape. All of us were kidda shaken after this. But we decided to focus on our races. There was 300 athletes in this graded meeting. So the fields were packed, the morton mile and the 800m grade A were by far the favourites the mile won in 4.01 and 800m won in 1.50 but had a slight twist.

Me and peter warmed up together,
    15mins jog, Stretches, Drills, Strides
    RACE
    15min jog cool down

The race itself for me wasnt that great, I had planned to go out in 62 but was hoping not to be leadin at the bell. And after 150m I knew I was going to have to take the race on, I fell asleep from 300m - 500m and it wasnt untill peter came on my shoulder that I woke up, he shocked me as he sprinted to get by me, I wasnt letting him get infront of me. So I kept him on my shoulder trying to hold him, we got to 150m to go and he was just slightly ahead but when we came into the home straight I just edged infront and tried to keep my form into the home straight. Felt like I had got a gap and was just looking at the clock as it displayed 2.03,2.04 and then I look over my shoulder and this guy from clonlife zoomed by me to take the win. I was so disapointed!!! Didnt win, didnt get a pb and had to lead the race for 780m. I was happy I was able to hold off peter but I really want to take a shot off going for 2.04/5 again.
    All and all ill take it, move on and get ready for my next race. I enjoyed racing against peter and it brought back flash backs off our last duel! But thank god I didnt tie up as bad, Will have a video of the race later on tonight.

Nice report...

pretty epic warm up - is that really necessary? could it have been detrimental, and was the stretching static? I'd say that episode on the m50 would definately have effected ur race too.

Congrats on leading for 780m!

RJM22 wrote: »
    Nice report...

pretty epic warm up - is that really necessary? could it have been detrimental, and was the stretching static? I'd say that episode on the m50 would definately have effected ur race too.

Congrats on leading for 780m!

Nah I dont think its that epic, the 15mins is very important and yes its static stretching, I do a few dynamic stretching aswel and then my drills, just basic drills, high knees, kick backs x2 and the 2 strides in my runners and the 2 strides in my spikes but we were waiting a bit before the race so I just jogged around a bit.

Yeah it wasnt the best preperation before a race, but thankfully nobody was hurt and yeah leading for 780m was pretty solid, shud have ran quicker

Week 5, Day 4
    55mins(7.5miles)
    After yesterdays craziness of the race and the crash it was nice to get back to normal. Myself and my training partner peter who yday pushed me all the way in the 800m went off on a nice steady run, both our legs were feeling quite numb and weird I wasnt tired just kept ticking away at a nice steady pace. Discussing about ydays race was our main subject of discussion and setting our sights on our next race and our next battle. I will have the video of yday race later on, just waiting on ecoli to upload them to the net. He is currently over in santry trying to sort out his car. Fingers crossed everythin turns out well for him as he had such a disapointing day. But man not too worry too much just get the head down and try forget about yday.

Anyway did some plank and press-ups after my run. My core has got to jelly these days so got to get the 6 pack back

• Advertisement

Well I suppose 15mins is easier for you. Nevertheless - congrats, I'd be proud of that result - especially if you beat a mate!! :D

Well I run 50-60miles a week, and to be honest 15mins is a bit short. I used to do 20mins. Its good because by doing 15mins w/up and c/down im not losing alot of milege i still getting 4-5miles in on a race day so my weekly milege is still pretty heavy

And 15mins jogging for a sprinter is too long, I used to do a a hole warm up, when I was a sprinter.
    2laps run,
    Static stretching
    hip rotations,arm rotations
    Dynamic stretching
    Drills(there was about 6 drills x2)
    Strides x4

It took way too long but its what ya got to do, your warm up and cool down is very important to a sprinter

Yeah I figured...I do the same as that except dynamic before training and static afterwards

Week 5, Day 6
    Session 4x1ks*

So today was ment to be a session, I suggested that we do 1ks this saturday, thinking "Oh yeah they would be easy" and peter of course was very eager to this type of session because up to know he has been in my territory with 2s and 4s. SO the tables were turned as we did this session. The session had to be put back because peter was working so we did the session at 7, getting on the track was hard enough but in the end we got on it. And I wish we didnt, we warmed up for 10mins then got straight into it.
    The pace was 72 second laps so that would be 3mins flat for 1k. I decided to take the first one, and I totally forgot what type of pace was needed for that as we did the 1st lap in 78, 6seconds slower the we were ment to go through in. So to salvage the session peter and I turned up the pace and did 68 second lap and finished in 36 for the last 200m. As a result I was IN BITS! No recovery was going to make the next few reps easier.
    So the next rep and peter took this one, and he hit the target times like clock work, but I just lost it after 600m and just decided to cut this session short as the 1ks were far to long and fast, but fair play to peter he rocked the hell out of this session and recovered well from the 1st rep and hit, 303, 300, 258, 301. He is after getting himself into serious shape in short enough time. And he showed that this week by pushing me all the way in what you would call my sort of race. We will renew our battle in the last graded meeting over 1500m and something tells me that I will need to be at my very best to keep my winning run over him. So this is what I ended up doing today

10min w/up

1000m* - 3.03(78,68,36)
    600m - (1.45)
    600m - (1.45)
    400m - (67)

5min cool down

Anyway, not too worry about today. Ill head for a LSR tomorow with peter, and get the head down next week. I may have to run my sessions next week on my lonesome as I am going to start focusing on the National Senior 800m and he will start to up the sessions to the longer stuff. Anyways thats it for today

Week 7, Day 1
    50mins(7miles)

Me peter ecoli and anto headed for a nice steady run, after missing yday run it was good to get back into the swing of things. We started to really pick it up at some stages! But all and all good run, Tomorow ill be doing a session of 4x400, 4x300, 4x200 so hopefully i can hit 62s, 45s, 28s so thats the goal. Till next time:D

Week 7, Day 2
    Session - 4x400(62s) 4x200(30s)

Well its getting to that stage of the year where I want to head on my break now and my legs are screaming it at me, but iv still a few races so im just keeping up the training but not over doing it. It has been a long year and one that iv come on alot so I will enjoy my break.
    As a result of this, being very tired now I decided to cut my session back and drop the 3s cause it was very windy and this sort of session takes for ever!

Anyways I joined up with my mate Eoin Dunne for this as he was doin 6x4 and 4x2 but the recovery he wanted was a min less then I wanted.. I agreed to it but I knew it was goin to be painful!

It was a lovely day all but the wind was perfect, we hit the times on the head

10min warm up
    400m - 62,63,63,62 (off 2mins)
    2 laps jog inbetween
    200m - 30,29,30,30 (jog 200m)
    5min cool down

I felt ok, eoin is a 8.38 3k runner so he is very strong and this showed come the 2s, I had the speed just the recovery was a killer. Anyways it another session down and im relitivly pleased with it.

The video of my last 800m race is online now, so here is the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acMqgYilRs&feature=channelm

Weel 7, Day 3
    Not feeling great!
    30mins

Today I wasnt feeling great at all after the session last nite. I put off a run till as late as I could but when it got to about 8pm I said to hell with this. I headed out for a run, after 20mins I felt like I was dead! So turned back, No need to over due things at this stage of the year. Its coming to the end of the season and thats why id say I felt so bad today.

Tomorow ill do a run followed by a few strides, nothing to hectic!!

Week 7, Day 4
    30mins + 4x150m strides

After not feeling great yday I thought id just take it nice and easy, a nice jog was on the cards and a few strides just to keep the speed up for this 800m at the Nationals in a week. Im reconsidering doing the 1500ms in the last graded meeting. I dont think iv the strenght to run close to my pb. And i might try run the 400m instead in order to get on the 4x4 relay for the league final. Anyways tomorow should be an easy run. We have planned to do a session on sunday of 5x300m

Week 7, Day 5
    60mins(8miles)

With the lads running the club race i headed for a run with eoin dunne today. Just a nice steady run, eoin does his runs at a nice steady pace which i like. Then we headed down to the clubhouse after the run for a good oul night of FREE DRINK! awh it was a good night in the club house and its what being in a club is all about. Having the crack with the gang!

Week 7, Day 6
    45mins(7miles)

After last nite exploits I put this run off as long as I could. But headed eventually for a run at 6pm with anto. The last while i was thinking that "God im getting really tired" which I was, but the last few days I feel like Im after waking up nearly and I feel as fit as ever. Me and Anto really started picking it up on this run, It was mostly my fault but he was well able for it even if he is just getting back running after his break. Im sure now I can still end this season on a High! Starting now with the 800m next weekend at the national seniors. Hopefully I can be dragged around for a fast time and I dont get laped lol
    I will be doing some fast 300s tomorow with the gang. I feel like the speed I thought I was lacking a few months ago is starting to come back(better late then never I guess) So this shud be interesting, Im doing it with peter fitzington and I few others depending, its a session right up my alley so Im looking forward to blasting a few fast times tomorow and start tapering down for next saturday. Till next time....:cool:

• Advertisement

Week 7, Day 7
    SESSION - 5x300m(40-42 off 4mins rest)

Aw this was my kinda of session, I felt great doing this. I was joined by peter and fitzington. It was peters session but he was ment to run them to kinda of simulate a race situation so the first 100m was an all out sprint then just relax but there ment to be fast. I knew they were doing this so I said id run them a like normall, just fast. But saying that I went through the first 100m a bit faster then I wud have liked but i held on.

(rep 1 - 40.2)
    Peter and Fitzington blasted the first 150m I couldnt stay with them. But then they started to settle the pace and I closed fast.
    (rep 2 - 41.5)
    This time I sat in 2nd behind peter but I still found the first 100m very tough. But I held on for dear life.
    (rep 3 - 42.08)
    I hit the front for the first time in the session, didnt look at any splits just ran as hard as I could. Feeling really good now, the lads were drunk in Lactic Acid at this stage. It started raining and the wind was bad.
    (rep 4 - 41.8)
    This one was painful, started off fast as you do, but the wind didnt help matters, but I felt like my form was good and kept pushing hard.
    (rep 5 - 42.21)
    Our recovery was a bit longer but that was grand with me, I pushed it from the start and at 150m kicked again but was hit like a tone of bricks by the wind and died very bad but kept my form well.

All and all im delighted with the session, the effort was good but with the conditions the times could have been even faster. I was delighted to see I had ran 40seconds cause that works out at a 54 400m. All bodes well now for next Saturday and National Seniors, looking just to come away with a SB at least, a PB would be nice and a what a place to get it. Hopefully I get one of the big runners in my race. Get the camera out and try stick with him for 100m or sumthing lol
    Anyways next week will be just easy running and on wednesday a light session and then easy runs till saturday. Till next time....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Serious splits there DJS - you put mine to shame!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Serious splits there DJS - you put mine to shame!

Thanks man, I was happy with it. Its good having a good group of lads to push ya on tho. We could have went quicker if the wind wasnt so strong.

Week 8, Day 1
    60mins(8miles) + Core work
    So today was just an easy run, and im just keeping the miles relativly high. I was joined by as always peter and also anto joined us for 40mins. It was a lovely day to run, I really enjoyed it. It wont be long till we will be running in pitch black,rain,freazing cold weather so I enjoying these nice days as much as I can. My legs were feeling good considering the session yday. Its weird how in a few days how my mindset is towards the end of the season. Last week I was feeling tired but now im feeling very good and I was delighted with yesturdays session. It all bodes well now for nationals.

After the run I decided to do core, Last year I did core twice maybe even three times a week. I lived by the stuff, but this year im more focused on just running, but I know I need to strenghten up.

Anyways tomorow me and peter have another easy run and then both of us are hitting the track on wednesday but were doing competly different stuff. Till next time!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1500mrunner

DJS wrote: »
    Week 7, Day 7
    SESSION - 5x300m(40-42 off 4mins rest)

(rep 1 - 40.2)
    Peter and Fitzington blasted the first 150m I couldnt stay with them. But then they started to settle the pace and I closed fast.
    (rep 2 - 41.5)
    This time I sat in 2nd behind peter but I still found the first 100m very tough. But I held on for dear life.
    (rep 3 - 42.08)
    I hit the front for the first time in the session, didnt look at any splits just ran as hard as I could. Feeling really good now, the lads were drunk in Lactic Acid at this stage. It started raining and the wind was bad.
    (rep 4 - 41.8)
    This one was painful, started off fast as you do, but the wind didnt help matters, but I felt like my form was good and kept pushing hard.
    (rep 5 - 42.21)
    Our recovery was a bit longer but that was grand with me, I pushed it from the start and at 150m kicked again but was hit like a tone of bricks by the wind and died very bad but kept my form well.
    Some serious session there man!! U seem to be flying, good luck at the weekend!!!

Week 8, Day 2
    45mins(6miles)
    Today was just a simple run, just keeping the training up and the miles. With the weather being as beautiful as always I had to search for my winter clothes(How depressing in summer) And I jogged down to the clubhouse went for a run with anto and jogged back. Feeling a bit eh slugish but not to worry had a good session sunday and a good run yesturday. And the weather didnt help, another plus is that im the lightest iv ever been im not 65kgs. When I started trainin in september I was 75kgs so thats great, just means less weight to be running around with I guess.

Tomorow will be my last session nearly of the year (unless I make the league final team) And it will just be a short sharpener geared towards the weekend. I used to do this session with John Shields but I really enjoyed it. The session is:
    2x300(45s)
    2x150(20s)
    2x300(45s)
    After hittin 40seconds at the weekend the 45s hopefully should be more comfortable and then the 150s should be at the same speed as the weekends 3s so nothin over the top just keeping the legs fresh. Ill do 15mins w/up and c/down. Till next time....:cool:

Is that a Grego session I see there? looks like fun!

Nah, he gave the Middle distance lads this before races.. I like so thats why I still use it like

Whats this about a 1500m race... u are a sprinter yes??

I just linked shields and tallaght track...

Yes still a sprinter...but me and my friends do a big 'Ultimate sports championship' every year - its a bit of fun, 14 events from penos / weightlifting / tennis / egg and spoon....we have 4 athletics events - 100m, long jump, shot, and the 1500m. There's a big trophy and I came 4th last year so I'm hoping to win it this time. Plus this is the most aerobic work i've ever done so I'm going to give it a bash. last event is downing a pint of course :rolleyes:

Was thinking of setting up my watch to keep me on an even pace of 80s per lap or is this naieve sprinter thinking considering we're not allowed spikes?

• Advertisement

Well I suppose Johns group do the Xmas mile and thats during the strenght base!! Normally the lads get theres in 5.20 each year so thats 80second laps, A few of them race it tho and have hit times like 5.10 so id say for a 1500m anythin from 5mins to 5.15 should indicate your training is going really well

Advertisement