Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a bit of fun

Options
  • 17-06-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Well im new to Boards but i like what i see already. And iv been writing a blog for the past few months and i thought id put it on this aswel.

A lil about myself- im 20 years old and have been running for a good few years. I run for Tallaght Athletic Club.
    Pbs:
    400m - 56.1
    800m - 2.05
    1000m - 2.45
    1500 - 4.24
    1mile - 4.49

Nothing that sugests a great runner, but iv show on a few occasions that I have been in better shape then what iv ran in races. My coach at the min is the Legend Eamonn Coughlan and i Train with some of the better young runners in the country.
    Anyways ill just give u the link to the website and ill try keep both as upto date as i can:

http://just-a-bit-of-fun.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

that mile pb shuld be beaten shortly , in a race that is more anticipated then a bolt vs gay match up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

not a great comparison as it a three horse race more like Tergat Geb and Kenny B

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Haha lads there are a few others in the race, A few dark horses could suprise. Im looking forward to it! Any predictions on time for it???

Ok after my steeple and 400m hurdles at the weekend my body hasnt reacted well. My hole right side of my leg has been hurting alot this week, my ankle,heel,knees,hips. But Besides that everything is great lol

Training last week went very well and this week it wasnt great i had to take a step back on the training. I planned to run the Dublib Senior 1500m but because of my injuries im just going to train through this weekend in preperations for the National u23s in Tullamore the week after.

So this week went as follows:
    Week 1, day 1
    40mins from the club with a bunch of the lads

Week 1, day 2
    40mins from the club on my own, 2x200m(32,32)

Week 1, day 3
    30min run on my own and Core work

Week 1, day 4
    40min run with anto. Watched the club race

Week 1, day 5
    8miles(6.45 pace) in the park with ecoli

So this week so far hasnt been anything to shout about. Ill be attempting a session tomorow with the lads on the tallaght track. And Sunday i will prob hook up with some of the lads for 8miles or so. 32mile so far this week so if i can go 45 ill be happy. Till the next time... Peace!!

Week 1, Day 6
    45mins started with Peter but he went back after 10mins, after that i steadily picked it up. I dont run by pace i run to feel. Then did 4x200m on the Tallaght track in 31s. Happy enough with the weeks training considering i could bearly walk on monday after the steeple and 400m hurdles.
    Im considering running the National u23s next weekend. Depending on how the weeks training will go. Im going to do 10x200 during the week off short rest. Any of the lads interested give me a shout.

Week 1, Day 7
    Rest day, Iv ran all week so i took today off. Busy watching the athletics, two Tallaght boys running well with Grego running a sb 47.01, nicely done man!! And Sean Connelly running a very close 2nd in the 3k. Well done lads on getting promoted. Now its time to get you club promoted now:rolleyes:

Week 1 down off this, no sessions so next week will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice blog.
    Out of curiousity is the Tallaght track complete yet and are there plans to open it up to the public during the day as it would be my nearest track. Currently heading out to UCD.

Woddle wrote: »
    Nice blog.
    Out of curiousity is the Tallaght track complete yet and are there plans to open it up to the public during the day as it would be my nearest track. Currently heading out to UCD.

For the moment it is restricted to members only and looks to be that way for the forseeable future

Hey woodle, to answer your question. Yes its finished(bar Lanes)
    And secondly im not sure about it being open to the public. But if u got onto the club about training they have let other athletes train on it who arent in the club. But for now its basically just for TAC members sorry dude. It is tho a nice track, a fast one aswel for distance runners. Very soft so sprinters wont wind it fast. Cant wait to race on it, sessions on it so far have gone well.

Week 2, Day 1
    45mins easy with a few of the lads, I found this very hard it was very humid and i was feeling good until 30mins or so but then the heat hit me like i was running into a wall. I was running on my own after 20mins so that didnt help. Im not the best at pacing myself but i got through it and I did a few drills.

Bad news is i heard the club race is supposed to be tomorow! But peter and ecoli after going to run it and neither am I, as I am training for the Nationals at the weekend in Tullamore.
    Tomorow ill be back doing what I do best, Speed sessions. Hooking up with Fitzington for this one. Hopefully i can keep them all under 45seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very nice blog indeed. Good to see some structured training (well compared to what I do its structured) :D

• Advertisement

Very nice blog indeed. Good to see some structured training (well compared to what I do its structured) :D

Haha I wouldnt say its that " Structured" now, but im just getting back some of the fitness i lost because of injury. Hopefully ill be back on the track soon:)

DJS wrote: »
    Haha I wouldnt say its that " Structured" now, but im just getting back some of the fitness i lost because of injury. Hopefully ill be back on the track soon:)

ah dont worry too much about losing that much fitness i mean the injuries were only a minor blip byou will still come good for the season

Haha cheers man, but time is running out register some pbs by the end of the season. I think come august ill be in shape but races are over by then. Plan is to get pbs in 800 and 15 and try a 3k

Did u hear the club race on the track is tomoro??

Haha cheers man, but time is running out register some pbs by the end of the season. I think come august ill be in shape but races are over by then. Plan is to get pbs in 800 and 15 and try a 3k

Did u hear the club race on the track is tomoro??

there one or two mile races in the BHAA on track in august so might be a chance to hope in them?
    Is it no way ah well guess that epic showdown you were talking about wont happen this time. to be honest i glad still bit early for an all out mile race for me

Week 2, Day 2
    10min warm up, drills, strides
    6x300m off 3mins recovery(44,45,42,43,42,45) and 2x200(28,29)
    10min cool down

Ok so tonite was a HUGE disapointment!! I had planned to do this session last week. Fitzington was ment to do it with me. A few of the group had planned to do the club race on our new track. I said Id do it but when I was told it was this Tuesday I had to say no... Well that was untill I was challenged by Boberto over in the States(NOBODY CALLS ME A PUSSBAG) So I decided to run the mile race. So I was really disapointed when I got there and it wasnt for a few weeks time. So all the other lads pissed of to the club race leaving me to do my session on my own. Anyway it went quite well, running on my own isnt my strong point. The two 2s after were just to show a lil red **** who is boss!!! haha
    All and all the session went well.. Im not where I want to be at in terms of fitness but still have some speed in these legs. Ill do 8miles now tomoro and the another session then on thursday. 10x200m on 1min rest the 2s are supposed to be in 30-32seconds to get my legs used to that sort of pace. Hopefully Fitzington will join me for this! Anyways thats all for today!:cool:

Week 2, day 3
    45mins(6miles), ran with Rose-Anne Galligan, John coughlan and anto leighio tonite. The lads were just warming up but RA was doing a run. My legs are very sore after last nite. Very tight but when i started running they seemed ok I suppose. Going to run the 1500m this weekend so a pb or even a sb would be great(4.24 on a windy nite)
    All and all im feeling like im starting to get back alot of my fitness after injury. I feel like the speed is a little down on what it should be but the strenght is there. Im going to race the 1500m this weekend and if im not doing anythin in the next round of the National League ill guest in the 800m just get have a pop at my 800m. And i might run 3k next wednesday but we will see how things go.
    Tomoro will be a short session 10x200s in 30-32 off short rest just too get the legs moving again. Till then... Peace!

Week 2, Day 4
    15min warm up, Drills,Strides
    10x200m, recovery 200m job inbetween,Pace(30-31s)
    15mins cool down, Stretches

The session went well.. was ment to run with Fitzington but he turned up late so I was on my own. So I got stuck into it, the idea of this session was just to get that sort of pace in my legs, with as lil effort as possible. As i went on getting 31s seemed pretty easy which was good. Im racing the 1500m on Sunday at nationals so some mite say why do a session so close to the race but iv lost alot of training cause of injury that i cant afford too lose a hole week of training so I decided to trainin through it as much as I could. I felt grand afterwards even though my legs are very sore before it they felt great afterwards. Then after the session we went out to our weekly club meeting in the plaza for a bit of a boogey and ice cream!!

Week 2, Day 5
    30min easy run with anto, just to get the legs a bit lose. They were kinda of tired from the plaza but got through it. Im all set now for an attack on my pb and season bests. Wish me luck guys!! Ill need it

Week 2, day 7
    75mins(12miles)6.30 pace
    Was ment to run the nationals... But long story short I slept it out and missed my race. So when I got home I headin for a run on my own. It was lashing out but I kinda of enjoyed it. Thats the longest Iv ran nearly all year and I really have no idea why I ran so far. Just one of those days I guess.
    Also did 10mins of plank, 500 sit ups, streching and hip work, and a Nice ice bath at the end of it.

Week 3, day 1
    45mins(6miles) steady pace
    Went down to the club and joined up with ecoli for a nice run, it was kinda of warm and it was a steady pace.
    I then got back to the track put the spikes on and did a few strides
    Jog 100m,Stride100m,Jog 100m,Stride 100m and did this twice.
    Just a few strides before my race on wednesday.

Big question...
    What Should I run, 1mile or 3000m???
    Im not sure at all, I do think my better event is the mile, but I am really tempted to run a 3k just to get a marker for next year and it would set me up nicely for XC season if I cud put down a solid mark.

Week 3, day 2
    30mins easy down at the club. Just nice and easy before the race tomoro. I watched the lads do there session and it was so hard to say no to joining them but Ill get in with some of there sessions soon enough. But it was time to race now, training is done. RACE TIME BABY!

Week 3, Day 3
    RACE DAY!! 1mile
    Ok tonite was a good nite, a bit of a weird one(ill explain now). The race tonite was at irishtown and was part of the Graded Meetings, earlier in the year I ran an ok-ish 4.24 in the 1500m but I havent really pushed on since then. So tonites race was hopefully me pushing on.
    I put myself into Grade C, I really think all thats missing from my running is a bit of confidence so I went into this race hoping to be in the top 5 instead of holding on for dear life in grade B or A.
    There were Huge fields in the Mile races and this was maninly because Tougher lads made the trip down from cork. Anyway more about the race.

First 200m I sloted myself just behing 2 tougher lads and a raheny lad. We went through in 68ish,feeling good.
    Next lap I started to just pick off some of the other lads and I could feel I was makin a gap between me and the next guy. At 800m we went through in 2.18.
    At this stage i was in 3rd and feeling good. I told myself ok just get through this next lap and keep some for the end. 600m left and my lace opened!!! I was goin mad, my spike had to come off. So I ran 400m with one spike!! I didnt catch the split but it was something like 3.30ish, I was so worried about my spike and not catching the guy in front. I moved into 2nd at the bell and never looked back, I didnt have a kick and I was glad to see the finish line!!
    I crossed the line in:
    4.42.65!!! 7 seconds better then my previous best!

I was the 17th fastest time of the day which was good and I bet a few of the lads in my group which is always an nice bonus but my time would have got me pretty high up in the other grade. I was only 2seconds off David Mc Carthey(lechile) which was a suprise! But yeah delighted with the race. Although my foot has a HUGE blister on it after but ill take it.

Ill tell ya there is nothing better then running a PB esp if its a big one like mine tonite. Ill just head for an easy run now tomoro about40-50mins and hopefully if the legs are good ill jump in with Peter and Fitzer for 4x600 on friday. Im goin to guest in the 800m at Santry in the National league but its not a big race so thats why im training through it. Anyways thats all for now! Finall got the ball rolling again!! Roll on the rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great race and report DJS
    you must be delighted with that that run, keep it up

• Advertisement

that a boy fair play on the PB good to see you gettin one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Good work on the PB.

Thanks lads, yeah delighted with it I have to say. But I think I can go quicker aswel, If I run another mile sub 4.40 is on the cards for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Nice race DJS. 7 second pb with 1 spike for 400m is pretty impressive (if you can manage to keep both of them on your feet you should be able for sub 4:40;)).

Think I spotted you (recognised from your blog) but did'nt want to go up to some randomer and say "are you DJS?":P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Week 3, day 2
    30mins easy down at the club. Just nice and easy before the race tomoro. I watched the lads do there session and it was so hard to say no to joining them but Ill get in with some of there sessions soon enough. But it was time to race now, training is done. RACE TIME BABY!

Week 3, Day 3
    RACE DAY!! 1mile
    Ok tonite was a good nite, a bit of a weird one(ill explain now). The race tonite was at irishtown and was part of the Graded Meetings, earlier in the year I ran an ok-ish 4.24 in the 1500m but I havent really pushed on since then. So tonites race was hopefully me pushing on.
    I put myself into Grade C, I really think all thats missing from my running is a bit of confidence so I went into this race hoping to be in the top 5 instead of holding on for dear life in grade B or A.
    There were Huge fields in the Mile races and this was maninly because Tougher lads made the trip down from cork. Anyway more about the race.

First 200m I sloted myself just behing 2 tougher lads and a raheny lad. We went through in 68ish,feeling good.
    Next lap I started to just pick off some of the other lads and I could feel I was makin a gap between me and the next guy. At 800m we went through in 2.18.
    At this stage i was in 3rd and feeling good. I told myself ok just get through this next lap and keep some for the end. 600m left and my lace opened!!! I was goin mad, my spike had to come off. So I ran 400m with one spike!! I didnt catch the split but it was something like 3.30ish, I was so worried about my spike and not catching the guy in front. I moved into 2nd at the bell and never looked back, I didnt have a kick and I was glad to see the finish line!!
    I crossed the line in:
    4.42.65!!! 7 seconds better then my previous best!

I was the 17th fastest time of the day which was good and I bet a few of the lads in my group which is always an nice bonus but my time would have got me pretty high up in the other grade. I was only 2seconds off David Mc Carthey(lechile) which was a suprise! But yeah delighted with the race. Although my foot has a HUGE blister on it after but ill take it.

Ill tell ya there is nothing better then running a PB esp if its a big one like mine tonite. Ill just head for an easy run now tomoro about40-50mins and hopefully if the legs are good ill jump in with Peter and Fitzer for 4x600 on friday. Im goin to guest in the 800m at Santry in the National league but its not a big race so thats why im training through it. Anyways thats all for now! Finall got the ball rolling again!! Roll on the rest of the season

well done on the pb great running.

Cheers man, you should have come over. I dont bite:D
    Ha cheers man the plan is to finish my next race with both spikes intack. Im racing in santry on sunday in an 800m so pb is under treat again. But I wud be suprised if I do go quicker cause I havent done much speed work.

Did u run last nite yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done on the new pb !

Week 3,Day 4 & 5
    15mins-INJURED!
    After my race during the i got a huge blister. Which hampered my training. But Id take it, id rather have a blister and have a PB lol. After walking down to the club, running 15mins, walkin back home my ankle was in a bad. So I had to cancel the weekly nite out with the crew and spent the night icing my ankle as it got pretty bruised.
    I said id take friday off and just rest it and hopefully it will be ok for sunday. I only found out on friday that they want me to do the triple and long jump so much for taking it easy on the ankle anyway. I still want to guest the 800m. I mean ill try get a good jumps on my first jump and if there ok ill just leave it at that and stay as fresh as I can for the 800m cause at the end of the day thats what im training for.

Next week I have a good weeks training planned out with the lads peter fitzer and maybe luke will pop in for some sessions. It looks like the next graded meeting is an 800m and that will possibly be my last 800m of the outdoors so if i can come away with a pb there ill be delighted. It looks like all four of the lads will be running so a bit of competiton should be a great night of racing.

Week 3, Day 6
    30mins steady(4miles)-Ankle seems fine
    After taking the days rest my blister and ankle seem to be ok, and it was too nice of a day to just sit in and do nothing. So I went out and headed for a nice run, after 10mins I felt great. The race during the week is after giving me my confidence back which is all I think I was missinng this year.. So everything seems to be fitting into place, the goal is to get at least a SB in the 800m tomoro(sb: 2.08) then go for a pb in the next graded and for the last graded go all out for a new 1500m pb(4.24=pb) If i can get pbs in those races the year will be a success, after a few injury problems I still mite achive my goal of getting pbs in the 800m and 1500m. Till next time, Peace!

Week 3, Day 7
    National League Rd. 2

So after my slight injury problem it seems to have healed, just in time for me to help out my club as much as I can. There were a few drop outs so it was going to be an uphill battle to try get to the final. But we all pitched together and everyone who ran today gave it there all.
    I was one of the first events of the day, Long Jump. I havent actually jumped in at least 2years, but nobody else was there so I jumped at the chance.
    When I was younger ecoli and I actually jumped the same pb in the schools it was 4.6x so I was hoping for just an improvement on that and id be happy. But I totally didnt take in account my ankle was still very sore and I had done it in years. SO the first jump I bated down the run way and jumped 4.81, miles behind the board but after 2 more jumps I didnt get any better so left it at that.
    While I was watching some of the other events I was told im running the 4x100m relay, just the fact that my name was entered just shows how short we where. We ended up in 4th anyway but we did our best.
    My day stll wasnt done I had to do the triple jump, being the cocky dope as I am I choose to jump off the 9m board. Considering iv only ever jump 10.9x and i was doing a bit of training for it then.
    First jump was 9.20 so i was so close to not even making the pit haha
    2nd jump was even closer I thought I was goin to fall and Jumped 9.03 haha

All and all we had some excellent performers, and everyone really gave it there all. And our big runners did the buisness getting a few wins in the 5k, shot 56lb distance. And we got a few 2nds from anto in 400m, tom fitz 800m. After everything that happened we ended on 90points and finished 4th in our pool for the 2nd round. Our total points was 181.5 and by my calculation I think we may have got in. If we did, were really going to have to sort a few things out. Get all our big runners back and give it a go bash. But what ever happens congratulations to all the lads for getting as many points as they could.

• Advertisement

Ok sorry I havent wrote on thiis since sunday, Im still paying for it to this day. But we got to the final, and by a good bit after our team was pretty much 10people in the 2nd round and everyone had to double or even triple in some events it was all worth it to make the final and also an added bonus is that its on my birthday so if we win there will be HUGE celebrations after haha
    Anyways this week peter and fitzington had decided to train together this week, as this is our new training group. So far there is 3 in it with the possiblity that ecoli will hop in a few sessions. The way we are looking at it between me peter and ecoli are 15 pbs are all pretty much the same so were hoping to hit a pb by the seasn runs out and then next year were all going to put the foot down and really give next year xc,indoors,roads and most importantly track are real go.

Week 4, Day 1
    60mins,(9miles)
    So after sundays madness I attempted to go for a run, It was like somebody had beaten me up I felt so bad, It actually wasnt that bad untill the last 20mins of the run. Me and peter headed for a run a bit earlier because he had work so afterwards I went down to the club house to discuss yesturdays victory of making the final. Everyone was so upbeat after it and it really ment alot to the athletes, we were all sore but my good you couldnt get the smile of our faces:D

Week 4, Day 2
    Session 8x400m(68s) off 2min rec
    Ok it had been two days and still my legs were feeling like ****, But with a the 800m next wednesday we wanted to trainin right through it. Joining me tonite for this session was peter and fitzington. Peter is starting to come into some shape and fitzer has his all irelands coming up this weekend so he didnt want to push it too hard tonite.
    We got down a bit early because of the club race was on. Headed out for 10min warm up, a few stretches and straight into the session.
    We switched taking the lead after every 4, but once we got past 4 me and peter decided to take the pace just in case it dropped. I never felt great through out this session. I ran the first 4 as easy as I could so I would have some left for the last 2 just in case they were to get faster. But it seems that after the weekend my legs still arent fully rested. I only managed to get 7 in, no point pushing myself too hard with a hole week of training. I was pretty disapointed with it but hey thats running, you win some you lose some.

Week 4, Day 3
    50mins(7miles)
    So after the session yesturday a nice easy recovery run was on the cards today. Legs still not feeling great but they feel better then they did last nite. We cut the run down a bit so that we are fresh for tomorows session which we will be doing more my kinda of stuff supposly says peter. He still thinks im an 800m guy but those days are over my friend and so is my speed. But I do enjoy this sort of session and it will be good to get some speed in the legs before the 800m race next wednesday. But we got through today and thats all that matters, Im happy that im in shape(I think) and ready to run pbs, tomorow will be interesting too see were I am speed wise, I know im hell of a lot stronger then normal so hopefully another pb is on the cards. Till next time, peace!!

Advertisement