Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

mengele wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to think of these types of hacks when caught at jobs like that.

Me too. I'd end up beating with the lump hammer, and if that don't work the angle grinder. Then snot welding things back together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Me too. I'd end up beating with the lump hammer, and if that don't work the angle grinder. Then snot welding things back together

Don't worry, I tried the lump hammer first..!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Looks good and did the job,

An alternative to the u-bolts would be short pieces of iron, possibly angle iron with two holes in each piece and ordinary bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Was baling silage on Saturday, thought it would be a handy day with 7 acres to bale.....

Second round of the field and bearing collapsed on one of the bottom rollers, back to the yard battered out old bearing popped in new one and back baling, with only a few bales to go tyre went flat and came off rim on baler. Back to yard without baler and was going to borrow a wheel from muck spreader when I spotted an old 6 stud wheel lying against a wall, so decided to give it a go as it was still holding air.

48463160771_ff88d4fde6_k.jpg

48463292297_d41fd4fe7b_k.jpg

48463136136_05586094e6_c.jpg

Just to finish day off nicely battery went flat on tractor that was wrapping and it wouldn't work the solonide on valve chest to work the lift arm. On the more positive side I got finished just before the rain came.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

emaherx wrote:
    Was baling silage on Saturday, thought it would be a handy day with 7 acres to bale.....

I've them type wheels here on rims from new if your looking to buy

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    I've them type wheels here on rims from new if your looking to buy

The baler ones I presume you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

emaherx wrote: »
    when I spotted an old 6 stud wheel lying against a wall, so decided to give it a go

Hurrah for the oul Bedford ( or Austin, or whatever)!
    How often have we ment to get rid of them things to the scrap yard..

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hurrah for the oul Bedford ( or Austin, or whatever)!
    How often have we ment to get rid of them things to the scrap yard..

Exactly, I was amazed it still held air, it's been against that wall for as long as I can remember, it came here as a spare wheel for a cattle trailer that we haven't used in the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Exactly, I was amazed it still held air, it's been against that wall for as long as I can remember, it came here as a spare wheel for a cattle trailer that we haven't used in the last 20 years.

I doubt a new tyre would last 20 years against a wall.
    Its because they used real rubber in them older wheels!!

I doubt a new tyre would last 20 years against a wall.
    Its because they used real rubber in them older wheels!!

While true, I'm not sure I'd have much faith in that tyre now, although it looks remarkably good for it's age, it served a purpose on Saturday and luckily the land was beside the yard.

• Advertisement

While true, I'm not sure I'd have much faith in that tyre now, although it looks remarkably good for it's age, it served a purpose on Saturday and luckily the land was beside the yard.

Bring it to a tyre place for a new tyre, and see if they run you....

:D

I dug up a Model T Ford front axle at our place years ago, probably buried in the 1940s.
    Hub still spun like it was new, took off the nut and the grease in the bearings was perfect.
    Good quality stuff in those oldies..

Bring it to a tyre place for a new tyre, and see if they run you....

I brought a wheel from the tractor cattle trailer I'm currently using and they couldn't supply a tyre to fit as size no longer available. Ended up buying 2 new rims.

30205991468_e7ae618ff3_c.jpg

30205987308_ae66b3d405_c.jpg

Nobody wants to see split rims nowadays.
    I think a lot of that old stuff went out to India a decade or more ago.

I brought a wheel from the tractor cattle trailer I'm currently using and they couldn't supply a tyre to fit as size no longer available. Ended up buying 2 new rims.

30205991468_e7ae618ff3_c.jpg

30205987308_ae66b3d405_c.jpg

Torque multiplier? I have a trailer that luckily has wheels the same size as a MF 35 front wheel..Problem is they have been on the trailer for 40+ years. Getting them off is going to be awkward.. any suggestions?

Figerty wrote: »
    Torque multiplier? I have a trailer that luckily has wheels the same size as a NF 35 front wheel..Problem is they have been on the trailer for 40+ years. Getting them off is going to be awkward.. any suggestions?

Good six sided socket.
    Make sure you are loosening them , not tightening.
    Those old trucks often had a left hand thread on the left side hub, but when they got put under a trailer the left side has a 50/50 chance of becoming the right hand side....

Good six sided socket.
    Make sure you are loosening them , not tightening.
    Those old trucks often had a left hand thread on the left side hub, but when they got put under a trailer the left side has a 50/50 chance of becoming the right hand side....

Ya. I hear you, I'd say there is an old bedford axle under it. The wheels are a little small for the land, ground needs to be very good.

Figerty wrote: »
    Torque multiplier? I have a trailer that luckily has wheels the same size as a NF 35 front wheel..Problem is they have been on the trailer for 40+ years. Getting them off is going to be awkward.. any suggestions?

Couldn't get the studs to budge on that trailer, redened them with the gas and hung out of them with a long breaker bar an a lump of pipe. Afterwards I bought the torque multiplier specifically for that job and it loosened them no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I tried to open a seized nut on a gatehanger in teh yard recently. I ended up shearing the bolt. Lubrucation, heat, shock and torque. All four if possible.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I tried to open a seized nut on a gatehanger in teh yard recently. I ended up shearing the bolt. Lubrucation, heat, shock and torque. All four if possible.

I doubt the bolt in the gate hanger is made from the same quality metal as a fourthy year old wheel stud. I'd a good long bar trying to loosen the bolts on that trailer and they wouldn't budge and didn't shear either. Although I'd bet the torque multiplier would break them if they didn't open.

I doubt the bolt in the gate hanger is made from the same quality metal as a fourthy year old wheel stud. I'd a good long bar trying to loosen the bolts on that trailer and they wouldn't budge and didn't shear either. Although I'd bet the torque multiplier would break them if they didn't open.

They were 8.8 Grade bolts.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

I often find when you heat a nut with the hot spanner and quench it with water makes it a lot easier.Trick an elderly mechanic told me a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I often find when you heat a nut with the hot spanner and quench it with water makes it a lot easier.Trick an elderly mechanic told me a good few years ago.

I think Patsy had something up here with the same thing except rubbing a wax candle on the hot nut. The wax soaks in between the nut and stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

48463292297_d41fd4fe7b_k.jpg

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that drawbar way higher than normal?

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that drawbar way higher than normal?

No, your eyes are ok. It's set to it's maximum height with PTO going below it.

Edit:
    https://flic.kr/p/UkquGH

Might not be the best picture, but here it is hooked up. Allows better clearance in heavy crops as grass was gathering under hitch then entering baler in big lump and jamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Is it coupled up near the top link, as you'd normally see on the continent? Haven't seen that before in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is it coupled up near the top link, as you'd normally see on the continent? Haven't seen that before in Ireland

Ah emaherx is a special breed

Yes it is.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah emaherx is a special breed

Ah thanks...... I think......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah thanks...... I think......

:D

Advertisement