Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjac in donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Hi guys I'm new here so go easy!!
    I was talking to that fella in the deer society aswell and a well respected man in the sport.
    He said it and I would agree with him. We wouldn't have the sport we have today if those 5 sika deer were not brought in to powerscourt or the normans not bringing in the fallow deer for their own sport and food.
    Give them a chance and maybe in some years time we will have a chance of shooting these little deer. :o

Ron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theterrierman

Now, Now, don't throw your rattle out of the pram ! The truth of the matter is that the muntjac was shot but not with a rifle and not in season. The point your man in the Deer Society was making was that if the muntjac are left alone for a couple of years and not shot on sight they will be as plentiful as Red, Fallow and Sika. They will spread into all counties and Deer hunters will have a new quarry on their list. I shoot a lot, I've being working terriers and ferrets for the past thirty years and I'm still learning every time I go out, that was my first post on Boards and I wasn't expecting getting my head chewed off !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Now, Now, don't throw your rattle out of the pram ! The truth of the matter is that the muntjac was shot but not with a rifle and not in season.
    There is no such thing as out of season for muntjac. They breed all year I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Mellor wrote: »
    There is no such thing as out of season for muntjac. They breed all year I believe

Thats correct. Check the back of this seasons Stalking Permit to confrim

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

......that was my first post on Boards and I wasn't expecting getting my head chewed off !! ;)

Toughen up!!

Plenty of munties available in Wicklow for shooting.... those of us in farming in my locality don't welcome them, particularly those of us who are bothered by the current populations of deer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

But must be shot with deer calibre

ronboy wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm new here so go easy!!
    I was talking to that fella in the deer society aswell and a well respected man in the sport.
    He said it and I would agree with him. We wouldn't have the sport we have today if those 5 sika deer were not brought in to powerscourt or the normans not bringing in the fallow deer for their own sport and food.
    Give them a chance and maybe in some years time we will have a chance of shooting these little deer. :o

Ron
    I think you need to do some research before you make such statements

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

kakashka wrote: »
    I think you need to do some research before you make such statements

just saying what he said and it's 4 deer
    you happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But must be shot with deer calibre
    Oh obviously, I wasnt implying that they were unprotect, just that the guy who said they were shot out of season was misinformed as their season is 12 months. I probably should of said they hav a 12 month open season, as technically they do have one (that potentially could change in the future, albeit unlikely)

Oh obviously, I wasnt implying that they were unprotect, just that the guy who said they were shot out of season was misinformed as their season is 12 months. I probably should of said they hav a 12 month open season, as technically they do have one (that potentially could change in the future, albeit unlikely)
    Sorry i didnt mean to imply anything either,just add info

• Advertisement

ronboy wrote: »
    just saying what he said and it's 4 deer
    you happy..
    Not happy with the introduction/support of a new invasive species here
    Not happy with anyone who supports such
    So NO is the answer

Now, Now, don't throw your rattle out of the pram ! The truth of the matter is that the muntjac was shot but not with a rifle and not in season. The point your man in the Deer Society was making was that if the muntjac are left alone for a couple of years and not shot on sight they will be as plentiful as Red, Fallow and Sika. They will spread into all counties and Deer hunters will have a new quarry on their list. I shoot a lot, I've being working terriers and ferrets for the past thirty years and I'm still learning every time I go out, that was my first post on Boards and I wasn't expecting getting my head chewed off !! ;)
    More blatant hypocracy from the top of IDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theterrierman

You're right, but these Deer society guys shoot Deer as well, and what they say in public is nearly opposite to what they tell you in private. He was from the Kerry Deer society where the local government want a total cull of Sika, so God knows what they'll do if muntjac arrive in numbers !;) Now, I know muntjac won't pose a breeding problem to the Red while the Sika do, but the cull is based on road traffic accidents involving the Sika, so you can imagine muntjac running all over the place and add bad driving to the mix.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

this a load of shxt , a lad out of the IDS said this, he said that.
    muntys every where .who or stfu

in the 26 county's there has only been one munty killed in the history of the state ,by a game keeper ,did he bring a dead one home from england by chance for a joke.

how many have been returned on deer hunting licences ? none .

the facts are no one cares about deer in ireland not coillte, npws ,ifa, only a few that see them for what they are .

i will let the know alls on this forum answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    did he bring a dead one home from england by chance for a joke
    Man, Ryanair's carry-on rules must have been relaxed a bit of late...

Sparks wrote: »
    Man, Ryanair's carry-on rules must have been relaxed a bit of late...

we all dont travel cheap !

Ah, government jet then?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

jaffa20, It wasn't me!, (both of whom just had posts deleted) and everyone else:

You shouldn't have to be told about off-topic posting and back seat modding.

Discuss the topic at hand and do it politely and within the rules.

this a load of shxt , a lad out of the IDS said this, he said that.
    muntys every where .who or stfu

in the 26 county's there has only been one munty killed in the history of the state ,by a game keeper ,did he bring a dead one home from england by chance for a joke.

how many have been returned on deer hunting licences ? none .

the facts are no one cares about deer in ireland not coillte, npws ,ifa, only a few that see them for what they are .

i will let the know alls on this forum answer that.

I'd agree that the Munt was a set up but i have no doubt that the same or like minded lot of loxi pedal'nie that are hell bent on establishing Boar etc etc are working on the Munt also.
    I suppose no one really cares about Deer in Ire except you right!!
    Answer what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I'd agree that the Munt was a set up but i have no doubt that the same or like minded lot of loxi pedal'nie that are hell bent on establishing Boar etc etc are working on the Munt also.
    I suppose no one really cares about Deer in Ire except you right!!
    Answer what exactly?
    :D what about turkeys :D be very handy around Christmas and Easter:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They were apprently released in the 1980s[Turkeys],on a trial basis somwhere in the Midlands/SE area.Was a big write up in the now defunct Irish shooting news I think andthey were/are suitable more so to Irish conditions than pheasents.
    But have never heard about them since....Maybe they all got jobs in the Dail???:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

4gun wrote: »
    :D what about turkeys :D be very handy around Christmas and Easter:p:D
    Ok i wont object to Turkeys:D

what would happen if some one did must be some sort of environmental (now I know why they're all nuts them tree huggers):D issues like invasive species etc although the foxes would think they'd accidently eaten a magic mushie or somethin'

Like ..whoa man.. did you see the size of that pidgeon...and he said something about gobble...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

4gun wrote: »
    what would happen if some one did must be some sort of environmental (now I know why they're all nuts them tree huggers):D issues like invasive species etc although the foxes would think they'd accidently eaten a magic mushie or somethin'

Like ..whoa man.. did you see the size of that pidgeon...and he said something about gobble...:D

The only thing dumber are the conspiracy theorists, NWo, sheeple etc :D:D

Salvelinus wrote: »
    The only thing dumber are the conspiracy theorists, NWo, sheeple etc :D:D
    and most of your other posts should be in there somwhere
    btw keep to the subject matter this is a shooting forum

Ease up there Salvelinus.
    And 4gun, I appreciate the thought, but ease up on the pretend moderating, okay? If you have a problem with a post, hit the report post button and one of the four of us will deal with it.

Ease up there Salvelinus.
    And 4gun, I appreciate the thought, but ease up on the pretend moderating, okay? If you have a problem with a post, hit the report post button and one of the four of us will deal with it.
    Sorry, Sparks I didn't even know it was there:o

See, that's why folks should read the charter at least once...

See, that's why folks should read the charter at least once...

if that was the case you would be out of a job.

• Advertisement

if that was the case you would be out of a job.
    Damn. And how would I pay my mortgage if it wasn't for the moola this gig rakes in?

Advertisement