Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjac in donegal

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Any of you guys know if there are any muntjac in donegal?? i wanted to know if they are established in donegal?? and if so do they cause much of a problem??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Reidy,

but after reading it i was wondering what calibres will be allowable for Muntjac here in the enlightened land saints and scholars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread Reidy,

but after reading it i was wondering what calibres will be allowable for Muntjac here in the enlightened land saints and scholars??

As far as I know Hezz ,although they are an introduced species and a pest in the eyes of the NPWS, they still retain the classification of being a deer species unwanted or not, therefore the same rules and regs apply as regards calibres-Deer calibres only and Deer Culling cert required same as any other. The season on them is an open one though, all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Feck! You lads get all the good stuff in Donegal!:(:) Last year it was big cats,and world record trophy stags.This year muntjac.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

reidy87 wrote: »
    spotted my first muntjac while out shooting magpies with the double barrel i've hunted this piece of land for the last 10 years and never seen a deer in it never mind a muntjac. i was reading through old threads thought Deer Hunter DL might be intrested. dont have a deer rifle yet been thinkin bout gettin one though, help would be appreciated!!! i was readin up on them, not to much info except they are an invasive species. i wanted to know if they are well established in donegal?? and do they cause much of a problem??

Ok Reidy, spit it out ! wheres their location cos im only 15 miles away:eek::D:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Feck! You lads get all the good stuff in Donegal!:(:) Last year it was big cats,and world record trophy stags.This year muntjac.:D

You know what they say Grizz..Donegal has it all!!:D

• Advertisement

As far as I know Hezz ,although they are an introduced species and a pest in the eyes of the NPWS, they still retain the classification of being a deer species unwanted or not, therefore the same rules and regs apply as regards calibres-Deer calibres only and Deer Culling cert required same as any other. The season on them is an open one though, all year round.

Thanks FS, I thought as much. but i know from experience that ya don't need .270, .308 or even 6.5 to take down mighty Munties cleanly.

We should take a leaf outta scotlands book. (we won't though):rolleyes:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Its a bit sickening alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 reidy87

Ok Reidy, spit it out ! wheres their location cos im only 15 miles away:eek::D:D

15 miles away isn't much good if you dont have permission to shoot there:p

i was thinking of getting a cz 550 american chambered in .243 or a cz 550 varmint chambered in .308 anybody with any experiances with either of these??

i know the .308's is "overkill" to say the least for muntjac but i also have permission on land containing sika any help or advice would be appreciated

been shootin scatterguns for year pretty new to rifles

15 miles away isn't much good if you dont have permission to shoot there:p

i was thinking of getting a cz 550 american chambered in .243 or a cz 550 varmint chambered in .308 anybody with any experiances with either of these??

i know the .308's is "overkill" to say the least for muntjac but i also have permission on land containing sika any help or advice would be appreciated

been shootin scatterguns for year pretty new to rifles

You cant go wrong with cz rifles reidy for value for money, my mate shoots a cz 243 and its a very accurate rifle, The 308 would be a tad heavy for muntjac , and the 243 would be a better compromise .
    Are there no reds up your way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 reidy87

i havent seen any, although im told there is a small number of reds in my area, sika seems to be the main problem tho, would you be able to get your friend to tell me about the CZ .243??

• Advertisement

i havent seen any, although im told there is a small number of reds in my area, sika seems to be the main problem tho, would you be able to get your friend to tell me about the CZ .243??

Why dont you take a run in to one of the gun dealer and have a look at various rifles.Eugene McCosker over in lifford hunts deer and is a good man to talk deer hunting calibres with;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

and if so do they cause much of a problem??

Nobody really answered this part of the question so i'd thought i'd answer it for you after a bit of research as the other guys are too busy on the feral cats thread :)

"Muntjac do not cause significant damage to agricultural or timber crops. However, high muntjac densities may result in the prevention of coppice regeneration and the loss of some plants of conservation importance, such as primulas. Muntjac trophy hunting is only recently becoming popular and so muntjac stalking has little tradition on country and forest estates. The most significant direct economic impact that muntjac have on human interests is in collisions with cars. However, this has welfare as well as economic implications"

I guess the rest is up to you but i'm thinking if there is not many in donegal and not causing particular harm, then leave be.

Of course, the others will inform you of guns or particular mode of taking deer down etc

[

"Muntjac do not cause significant damage to agricultural or timber crops. However, high muntjac densities may result in the prevention of coppice regeneration and the loss of some plants of conservation importance, such as primulas. Muntjac trophy hunting is only recently becoming popular and so muntjac stalking has little tradition on country and forest estates. The most significant direct economic impact that muntjac have on human interests is in collisions with cars. However, this has welfare as well as economic implications"
    And that paragraph came from where????
    I guess the rest is up to you but i'm thinking if there is not many in donegal and not causing particular harm, then leave be.

What you didnt mention or didnt know is;they are prolific breeders in the deer world.So it is very easy for an area to become infested with them like feral cats.
    Fact is;you introduce a new animal /plant into an eco system,no one really knows what will happen next.
    Of course, the others will inform you of guns or particular mode of taking deer down etc
    And that offends you somhow as well?...Leave well alone Jafa,,you wont convince anyone here on this issue either..;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Your dead right grizz. They breed all year round and are expected to become the most populated species of deer in britain. Jaffa as they breed so much a couple can become a problem in a couple of years.

Jaffas posts arent worth responding too imo, anyone who comes on to the hunting forum trying to google up an argument without the slightest notion of the overall picture doesnt deserve an answer.enough said!.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Jaffas posts arent worth responding too imo, anyone who comes on to the hunting forum trying to google up an argument without the slightest notion of the overall picture doesnt deserve an answer.enough said!.

cant argue with this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

Muntjac are tough little blighters and are better shot with a .270 or .308 than with a .243 , I have shot more than a few , only the Sika is harder to kill where he stands.

H.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

HUBERTUS wrote: »
    Muntjac are tough little blighters and are better shot with a .270 or .308 than with a .243 , I have shot more than a few , only the Sika is harder to kill where he stands.

H.
    WHA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnlite

+ 1 ,H

That'll be two wha's then!!
    Am i missing something???

• Advertisement

muntjac are very hard to nail to the spot as H,s post states

Look fairly tough alright!!!probably better to use .50 to be sure:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

HUBERTUS wrote: »

H.

Wha!!!!!!!

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Nobody really answered this part of the question so i'd thought i'd answer it for you after a bit of research as the other guys are too busy on the feral cats thread :)

very true what have said jaffa.
    roe/fallow in the uk a bigger problem in RTA s , muntjac just go under and cause no damage.

Depends on what you are driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Deerhunter2

any correctly placed centerfire will do the job its not much bigger than a fox:rolleyes: .223 would be ideal

how have shot how many with your 223 ?

http://www.thefield.co.uk/features/184265/Stalking_muntjac.html

Interesting read here, the author suggests a 243 as minimum calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

A few Muntjac `nestlings`.

H.

P1010030-1.jpg

• Advertisement

a nice nest of muntys .
    from my limited experience with them i would put them down as the a excellent quarry hard to stalk never really stop for the shot.

Advertisement