Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muntjac in donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

finnlite wrote: »
    very true what have said jaffa.
    roe/fallow in the uk a bigger problem in RTA s , muntjac just go under and cause no damage.
    And the authors( British Deer Society) continue on to say that
    "the most significant direct economic impact that muntjac have on human interests is in collisions with cars"(now that UK gov has dumped farming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnlite

kakashka wrote: »
    And the authors( British Deer Society) continue on to say that
    "the most significant direct economic impact that muntjac have on human interests is in collisions with cars"(now that UK gov has dumped farming)
    the farmers in the uk know how to charge for there stalking rights .
    it could cost 500 pounds to shoot a half descent muntjac and several thousand for a good roe buck.

muntjac in the uk and now wild boar are making many farmers a tidy sum.

with milk gone down another 20 cent a litre hear ,they might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

seems various shooting groups here,are hoping we'll soon be paying through the nose as well.
    Bryan.

BryanL wrote: »
    seems various shooting groups here,are hoping we'll soon be paying through the nose as well.
    Bryan.
    what groups are they ?

what groups are they ?

They would be Professional stalkers
    They would be large estates
    They would be Irish deer society
    They would be some rangers

but i'm sure you know all that?

lots of these crowds are screaming about people poaching, poster campaigns sponsored by the british deer society?why?, warning people to look out guys shooting at night.
    More worried about losing revenue than losing deer.
    Bryan

• Advertisement

They would be Professional stalkers
    They would be large estates
    They would be Irish deer society
    They would be some rangers

but i'm sure you know all that?

lots of these crowds are screaming about people poaching, poster campaigns sponsored by the british deer society?why?, warning people to look out guys shooting at night.
    Bryan
    if i thought had the slightest idea about what your talking about i would engage you in conversation about these matters .

your very hung up on the anti poaching campaign ? is not to your liking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think most of us are fairly annoyed with certain people trying to turn particular aspects of shooting and hunting in to their own little fiefdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

Bryan

+1 on that

My concern and confusion is that the Irish deer society purports to represent only 26 counties, but yet the British deer society are sponsors of the campaign?
    Why would the british deer society want to protect Irish deer from poaching???

Is it pure altruism?

foxes protecting geese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

A tidy Munty buck with no battle scars, torn ears or broken tusks.
    I had this one shoulder mounted. [.270 Carl Gustaf rifle.]

H.

DSC_0190.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Uhmm..I suppose the same reason that the UK Leauge Against Cruel Sports "supports " the Irish Council Against Bloodsports with posters as well?? We are too cheap/poor to run up our own here?:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

if you look at there face there very sika like i think .just look like they kick ass .
    nice buck silver /gold is he .

No , he missed out on a medal , wasn`t long enough and a bit thin on the beams.
    Shot too soon , a couple of years more would have helped him to make the grade.

H.

a nice animal all the same he looks 10 cms+ .lovely meat the nearest we can get at the moment is a sika calf taken in sep.

if you look at there face there very sika like i think .just look like they kick ass .
    nice buck silver /gold is he .
    Odd lookin Sika in your parts then.

HUBERTUS wrote: »
    A tidy Munty buck with no battle scars, torn ears or broken tusks.
    I had this one shoulder mounted. [.270 Carl Gustaf rifle.]
    And may i ask what you would use to take a sizable Boar or Red Deer?!

if i thought had the slightest idea about what your talking about i would engage you in conversation about these matters .

your very hung up on the anti poaching campaign ? is not to your liking
    I dont know BryanL nor pretend to speak for him,however he may very well know what he's talking about!!
    Any campaign that brands hunters as poachers in certainly not to my liking.
    KKK

`k`
    Given the choice I would use a .30-06 or .308 although the .270 would take good care of them , after-all the .270 is just a necked-down .30-06 anyway.
    The .30-06 would be my first choice though because of the vast range of suitable bullets , I shot hundreds of Reds etc here with a .30-06 until the law changed in Ireland in 1993 and the calibre ceiling was raised to .270 from .22cfs.
    I sold it then to fund the .270 Carl Gustaf with a Swarvoski scope.

H.

i have noticed a trend hear hubertus ,there is a lot of guys shooting a few years or less with little experience in shooting in general .
    let alone deer stalking and have never even see a muntjac.
    but still are able to question some one like your self that have vast experience.

they dont under stand how some thing works or some one trying to do some good so they rubbish it or them.

there is one guy that is posting on this thread that only started shooting 3 years ago but to read his posts you would think he has a book out on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

looking at the article linked earlier

"In these circumstances, however, the stalker may be presented with an ethical judgment, for the call is designed to imitate the sound of a muntjac fawn in distress and, naturally, it will often be mother who comes to investigate. Shooting her on sight may well result in a dependent fawn being orphaned. It is for this reason that the British Deer Society recommends that only fat (ie heavily pregnant) does are shot, since these will no longer have any dependant offspring. However, if a thin (ie lactating) doe comes to investigate your call, then it is likely that a buck will not be far away, and given a moment or two he may show himself, too. So it is worth holding your fire and waiting. "

The problem with that is that killing bucks does absolutely nothing for controlling the population.

• Advertisement

i have noticed a trend hear hubertus ,there is a lot of guys shooting a few years or less with little experience in shooting in general .
    let alone deer stalking and have never even see a muntjac.
    but still are able to question some one like your self that have vast experience.

they dont under stand how some thing works or some one trying to do some good so they rubbish it or them.

there is one guy that is posting on this thread that only started shooting 3 years ago but to read his posts you would think he has a book out on the subject.
    Have never felt the need to list my experience here and have nothing to prove.
    I believe common sense coveres a lot when it comes to hunting
    The only trend i see here is rear end lickin.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Looks to me like anyone with a decent 22 would knock off a muntjac fairly easily (neckshot).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Looks to me like anyone with a decent 22 would knock off a muntjac fairly easily (neckshot).

well, if you know _exactly_ where you are shooting you can kill just about anything with a .22. The question is: are you a good enough shot to reliably take that shot?

lordarpad wrote: »
    well, if you know _exactly_ where you are shooting you can kill just about anything with a .22. The question is: are you a good enough shot to reliably take that shot?
    I think that question may cover just about all calibres IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theterrierman

A friend of mine was ferreting in Wicklow and saw a muntjac bolt from cover , terriers chased it but no joy ! These deer have been seen in Waterford and Wexford too ! A guy from the Deer Society told me to leave them alone for a couple of years and there will be plenty of shooting for everyone !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

"a guy from the deer society" told you that??
    your headline reads "muntjac shot in Wicklow" yet the story that follows is of muntjac seen in wicklow, wtf???
    "plenty of shooting for everyone" your deer society man needs to go to specsavers coz last time i checked there were plenty of deer to go around, I am undecided on the muntjac thing as to if they will be a success and if they should have been let off, i would rather see boar or roe, something that was native reintroduced (altho the sika are a hit)..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

One killed in a traffic accident in Down, so they're about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theterrierman

"a guy from the deer society" told you that??
    your headline reads "muntjac shot in Wicklow" yet the story that follows is of muntjac seen in wicklow, wtf???
    "plenty of shooting for everyone" your deer society man needs to go to specsavers coz last time i checked there were plenty of deer to go around, I am undecided on the muntjac thing as to if they will be a success and if they should have been let off, i would rather see boar or roe, something that was native reintroduced (altho the sika are a hit)..
    You sound like an aggressive person,I hope you're not like that out shooting, you should read between the lines of my post. Muntjac ARE here and if left alone will populate well, look at England. As for roe deer, a private herd were released some years ago and were culled by the Department because they were not wanted. As for the Deer Society "guy", he is one of the top men and I'd say he knows quite a bit more about deer than your good self.

I believe the Roe in Ireland were on the Gore-Booth estate at Lissadel, Co.Sligo.
    I saw a picture many years ago of a monster which was shot there.
    They obviously had great potential and unlike the Sika were no threat to other species due to hybridisation.
    I have shot in Eire nearly every year since 1973 and seen more and more Red/Sika hybrids.

H.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Ah yea sure what would i know, sure im just an agressive type who knows nothing about deer and cant read,:D

Advertisement