Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Hehe, scepticism doesn't offend me. Your reasoning is totally right in that case.

Any occultist, healer, witch, or whatever else, who believes totally that they can make anything they want happen at any time is most likely deranged.

I have been practicing the Occult for nearly ten years now, and still get caught in traffic, or find difficulty getting parking spaces. That's because the universe is bigger than just me.

Books like "the secret" falsely put us each at the center of our own private universe.
    All this can do is isolate you from true spirituality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

smithcity wrote: »
    Hehe, scepticism doesn't offend me. Your reasoning is totally right in that case.

Any occultist, healer, witch, or whatever else, who believes totally that they can make anything they want happen at any time is most likely deranged.

I have been practicing the Occult for nearly ten years now, and still get caught in traffic, or find difficulty getting parking spaces. That's because the universe is bigger than just me.

Books like "the secret" falsely put us each at the center of our own private universe.
    All this can do is isolate you from true spirituality.

what can you do, if you don't mind my asking? I think the traffic is a bit of nonsense really. I do not do this bu am amazed at how when i want a space outside a certain shop i nearly always get it. Weird huh? and only at/near that shop.

In relation to the green traffic light then if everyone buys the secret and we all get green lights at the same time.....and crash can we sue the secret people

When I was younger I tried all the kinds of things that "The Secret" says, plus many others.
    I could manipulate and influence what happened around me (I'm not talking telepathy here, just unlikely chains of events that would benefit me) and also influence the people around me.

This was done through well thought out, well executed rituals involving a knowledge of the theory of ceremonial Magick.

I'm not saying that the stuff in the secret can't be done, (not all of it, and certainly not by those methods) but much of it shouldn't be done!

If you are going to influence your surroundings and people around you, you ultimately become responsible for anything that happens around you (even if it's only in a small way).

In the end I grew up, got past the teenage angst, me me me, want want want.

Now I only use Magick in exploring my own spirituality and consciouseness. The world outside of myself doesn't need to be tinkered with.

As for the traffic light idea. If one person wills it to change, and another wills it to change another way. Wouldn't the stronger will win?
    Anyway, it's all academic cos that's not how life works.

I could manipulate and influence what happened around me......and also influence the people around me.
    Influence inn what way and how could you know it would not have happened anyway?

I can't know. I also made that point earlier.
    The internal sceptic in me can never be satisfied. No matter how much experimentation I do, I'll never know that something might not have happened anyway.

If you look into the basic tenets of most traditions of ceremonial Magick. You'll find that most of them deal with this, it's a philosophical quandary that every practitioner must deal with.

We must each decide for ourselves what constitutes "proof" that anything we have done has actually worked as we intended it to.

Even if a ceremony is accompanied by the presence of visual phenomena or entities, you can still posit that they are produced by your own subconscious.

I can answer most of the questions you ask, but I cannot provide you with any proof.

• Advertisement

Thanks interesting reply
    I can't know. I also made that point earlier.
    you did sorry

The internal sceptic in me can never be satisfied. No matter how much experimentation I do, I'll never know that something might not have happened anyway
    .Fair enough

Even if a ceremony is accompanied by the presence of visual phenomena or entities, you can still posit that they are produced by your own subconscious.
    are they seen out side you or as images in your 'minds eye' so to speak

What way did you influence people to do what

My friend recently changed her car. she did visualisation for money to help pay for it and pulled 500euro from an incredibly unlikely source even confirmed unusual to be that high by the source. perhaps the important thing is she got it rather than was it co incidence or not

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I got a copy of the movie by chance, thank God I did. At least that just wasted 90 minutes of my life as opposed to however long it takes to read the book.

Fair enough it promotes thinking positively which works for people trying to achieve goals. If you skim over self hynotism books the most fundamental lesson you learn from them is that the only language you subconscience understands is repetiveness. Hence annoying advertisement jingles and ads being played on loop. I can see how this would work, convincing yourslelf of something and subconscioulsy working your way to it.

As for the kid who wishes for a bike and has it show up on his doorstep???????
    I laughed aloud at that scene, I genuinely thought it was a joke.

To quote Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa:
    "Sh*t in one hand and wish in the other, see which one fills up first!"

conti wrote: »
    the only language you subconscience understands is repetiveness.
    and symbolism
    "Sh*t in one hand and wish in the other, see which one fills up first!"
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

don't people who pray hard for things and believe they will get what they pray for make similar claims,like when a family member is sick they pray for them to get better and when they do they say it was some kind of miracle, because they prayed for it,when some want a job they pray they will get it and if they do get the job then it was all down to prayer,isn't that a form of positive thinking also.

Yes that is the same thing, doesn't lend it any validity though

• Advertisement
Advertisement